Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mango Polo posted:

Nothing worth discussing, to be honest.

So FW newsletter is out and just hinting at the Calth stuff being revealed tomorrow. Or maybe they are showing new stuff to go along with the pre-orders? Would be cool.

P.s. gently caress the casting of the Sicaran tank, what a mess.

Is it a new one? I know they've completely rejigged the molds for the Sicaran as it was loving awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

boom boom boom posted:

That's disappointing. They should just make up some more stuff to fill out a whole army.

They don't really exist as an entire army though. They're purely around as a support group to block psykers.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It helps that the Salamanders and Emperors Children are clearly the favourite chapters of Simon Egan. Those guys get all the cool looking poo poo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AndyElusive posted:

I dig the pictures of the Betrayal at Calth marines painted as different legions on the page for each Task Force.

A lot of them seem pretty rushed though like the Dark Angels and the Salamanders.

edit: I think the White Scars have some of the coolest looking upgrade kits. Those helmets are off the chain.

Thats unfortunately the way they're instructed to paint things now. Its achievable to all.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PierreTheMime posted:

I really like the look of Deimos-pattern Rhinos, but I'm a bit bummed that Forgeworld doesn't seem to offer just the upgrade bitz and has instead decided to sell the whole kit for a remarkable sum. Do people just use standard Rhinos or how do you all go about it?

Aren't they complete models and not based on the original?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cythereal posted:

I'm guessing Horus will stay king poo poo of primarch mountain, though I could see Sanguinius being able to give him a run for his money. Sanguinius will probably be much more mobile to boot, comparable to Corax. Maybe a more straight-up fighting oriented version of Corax in general.

Leman Russ is probably going to be a beatstick with some buffs to the army, and Magnus is obviously going to be a monstrous psyker, but I'm wondering how the Khan and Lion are going to shake out. In the books neither seem to be anything special in combat, though the Lion could be a support-oriented primarch.

Russ and especially Khan will be setup to kill other Primarchs I think. Sanguinius will be the Loyal sides version of Horus, as in able to kick the poo poo out of any other Primarch they come across, but he will of course lose against him.

It will be interesting when they eventually release the Emperor.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cythereal posted:

I don't get why Khan would be set up to kill other primarchs. In the story so far, he's fought exactly one and that one was a draw (against Mortarion).

They aren't going to release rules for the Emperor. Ever.

Khan is described as a very very very good fighter, and routinely mentioned as at the top of the pile by the other Primarchs.

And of course they'll release rules for the Emperor. They've said they're going to do a model for him, of course there will be rules. I imagine only playable in one specific scenario in the assault on the Vengeful Spirit but there will be rules for him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cythereal posted:

Eh... every primarch gets hyped up, and Khan says himself in Scars that his only particular strength versus other primarchs is that none of them have ever seen him fight and so don't know what to expect. I'd expect him to be very hit-and-run oriented.

I really, really don't think they're going to release rules for the Emperor unless they're "You lose."

Yeah they will. You go back less than 5 years and you'd have said that about Primarchs too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ijyt posted:

Started reading False Gods, interested to see how Horus, after seeing the poo poo going on on the moon, decides "yep this is my cup of tea".

No don'tttttt

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BULBASAUR posted:

ijyt also enjoyed battle of the abyss

The book that made GW sack an author.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ijyt posted:

So I just got the part with Eugan Temba and I'm even more confused about how Horus falls after dealing with that poo poo.

I mean come on he literally spelled it out for you, gently caress.

Because its badly written garbage where Horus goes from a loyal, incredibly intelligent warrior to evil supervillain in about 12 pages.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

boom boom boom posted:

No way. Battle of the Abyss was poo poo, but it was also far better than anything written by Nick Kyme

Yes way. Ben Counter was up his own arse so much that he refused to make suggested changes so they were left with the choice to release it after editing, ghost write the changes, or not release it at all. He was such a bellend about it that he didnt write another novel for Black Library for 5 years and was kicked off the Heresy for good.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mag most likely printed before the set was put up for pre-order, either way, it hasn't changed on the webstore.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think the best bit of misdirection the Alpha legion ever did was make people think they had infiltrated the Ultramarines.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SteelMentor posted:

Weirdest thing, FW has that fucker painted up along with the Word Bearer Contemptor. I swear I've seen pictures of them in the miniatures gallery at Warhammer World. They really have a raging hate-on for Iron Warriors eh?

At this point I believe Carl feeds back how angry it makes Bulbasaur and its intentional.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TKIY posted:

Hello there, beautiful...

Looks like GW is including points and stat lines for both 30k and 40k separately now: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets/LeviathanSiegeDreadnoughtRules.pdf

Theyve done that for a lot of stuff thats of use in 30k & 40k, but has weapons whos effects are different or can be armed differently depending on the era. Fire Raptor is the same.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Next primarch is out at this 40th birthday celebration thing too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Looks like Corax is up next. Forgeworld is doing a daily jigsaw reveal, but already messed it up

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/2962/3577/original.jpg

I should probably paint Perturabo then.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

DrPop posted:

I think the Headhunters look cool. Also.

Forge World I will edit your copy for free if you send me plastic dolls.

I can't believe someone didn't notice this before it was published.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Holy poo poo alpharius.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I don't know anyone there anymore but I would seriously doubt their biggest cash cow for veteran gw players is in serious financial trouble given the amount of money splashed on FW at the nottingham HQ store on a weekly basis.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

moths posted:

The thinking is that FW would sell much more if they lowered the prices.

Basically if they went (hypothetically) 50% off they'd sell more than twice as much, which would still allow them to cover their overhead.

But FW is a weird little hobby industry that doesn't have the capability to manufacture more so they inflated MSRP as a speed governor to limit the amount of models they need to produce.

E: I'm not claiming this is true, it's just the thinking. However, FW practices are a holdover from before GW believed in market research, so maybe there's something to it.

You've pretty much got it here. There would come a point of diminishing returns where the market is just not big enough for FW miniatures to sustain the number needed to pay for it at a much lower price point. You then add in the fact that GW proper like FW prices being that high, because it means their standard tac squad looks a million times better and FW becomes effectively a non competing product to them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BULBASAUR posted:

From facebook:

I'm starting to think all the bad GW employees moved to FW and we are all suffering the wrath of C-tier marketing interns

But someone said on the last page that Forgeworld were closing?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tbh I can see the reason for them shitcanning the upgrade kits that only fit on the pure resin models given they've released all those plastic ones now. But still, a bit disappointing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

This is often the case with customers that pirate rather than buying the official version of something, be it clothes, designer goods, software or resin. While piracy certainly erodes at FWs bottom line to some extent, it’s not a cut and dry equation where every tank China sells represents a lost FW sale. In fact, sales of Chinese tanks might drive sales of FW rulebooks, transfer sheets, and even expensive models.

While FW obviously has a piracy problem, the fix for it is likely to just to make products people want at prices they can tolerate, instead of a full year of expensive Custodes releases. Things like Calth and Prospero built a large potential playerbase that FW squandered- they likely could have sold a sicaran for $80 with free/cheap shipping to a lot of them and still remained profitable but they didn’t and now it’s going to be an uphill climb to re-engage the community and not go into a death spiral of shrinking user base > unsuccessful releases > more user shrinkage > more unsuccessful releases.

You are correct here in that a sale to china does not necessarily translate to a lost sale for FW. However I would also argue that the type of person to knowingly seek out counterfit FW stuff is also far more likely to just download the rulebooks instead of buying those as well. In fact one of the biggest complaints I hear is about how overpriced the FW books are.

FW does indeed have a piracy problem, however the people that buy fakes will continue to buy fakes even if FW were to half the price. This is because China would just half their price too because they can churn this stuff out for pennies really. Ultimately FW will never please everyone because by their nature they are a small team with finite resources. In an ideal world every legion would have their Primarch and 3-5 unique units by now and they'd be back onto the Imperial armour series and making Xenos stuff while occasionally dropping a new unit/character for the heresy.

A lot of the armies FW did were designed almost entirely by one person too. Kreig and the Eylisians in particular were just one guy who really wanted to do WW1/Starship Troopers and have since either moved on or been moved to bigger projects. Its a really weird situation where FW clearly couldnt cope with the huge popularity of the Horus Heresy explosion and I am genuinely surprised that GW proper didn't bring more of it in house with more plastic units to cover off the basic units/tanks etc and keep FW for the more exotic things.

This to me is very similar to the LoTR explosion that GW had. Where they had a product that went wildly above expectation. With LoTR GW threw money and resources at it to the huge detriment of the company when the popularity wave died off. I wonder if they were worried that the heresy might suffer a similar fate so were reluctant to sink as much into it?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Where the fucks Sanguinius thats the only reason i still keep track of this poo poo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
When's Sanguinius out?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEgykx-9CX0

I love that they finally put this in.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What are they and why do I like them?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I worked it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6B9nkrSuMI

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ok yeah I'm back.

I think thats also going to be a duel pose with Karabanda too. Wait no, theres a character series one, and a special edition lunatic base version.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 28, 2019

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Stephenls posted:

Hold on. It says that unlike the other primarchs, he'll have a limited edition separate scenic base available.

Don't... the other primarchs... just come with their breakaway scenic bases?

He'll have the standard character + scenic base, and then a super special version with a ludicrous base.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Pose makes more sense now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oh hey I know that Cerri guy. Hes a reasonable sort so it must be utterly atrocious for him to mention it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Booley posted:

Finished Sanguinius. They ran out of display bases at LVO so I'm still waiting on one to get mailed from nottingham.

This is great. I'm waiting for mine to arrive. How easy is this to assemble in parts and paint seperately? Are the wings integral to the cloak for instance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I got Sanguinius for Christmas so I guess i have to learn to paint again.