Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

not lame! posted:

I am yet to understand why anyone would play as a loyalist legion.

Salamanders 4eva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karandras posted:

Wait, the headhunter kill team have BS5 and preferred enemy Infantry, so they hit on a 2+ and reroll 1's, so why do they have combi-bolters?

Gives them rerolls on Overwatch, off the top of my head.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

adamantium|wang posted:

They're grenades dudes. Just a lot of people (myself and my group included) thought that throwing a grenade referred to using them in the shooting phase and everyone with a grenade could use a single one in assault. With the clarification Tankbustas are crippled and there's really no point to buying grenades for a whole squad unless they're assault or defensive :(

My Swooping Hawks just lost a lot of utility, for sure

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

moths posted:

Wait so I can't actually use my old cultists (or new ones!) as Levy because they're each armed with pistol and a CCW.

What even the poo poo is this bad decision? Unless they're operating under some weird phrasing of 'one' that actually means 'two,' there's no way to get both.

stop hyperventilating and look at the base equipment for inducted levies. they already come with a rifle and CCW; those options allow you to swap the rifle for a pistol or a second CCW

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm buying the Calth box, gonna do everything in it as the same legion. are Blood Angels good in 30k?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah the Day of Revelation is cool but it would require a bunch of flying transports to use with a bunch of tac squads and termies

what i'd kinda like to run is a Pride of the Legion thing with the 30(i think) tactical marines in the calth box as veterans, with heavy flamers and meltas or suspensor missile launchers w/ extra ccws. but with the cataphraktii terminators in the calth box, i kinda want to do that with Imperial Fists instead, suspensor h.bolters instead of heavy flamers in the vet squads, teleport wargear on the termies. i don't want to buy a ton more than is already in the Calth box to get into the game.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
at this point, having messed around w/ three different legion builds on army builder using the calth box contents as a base, i think i'm gonna do imperial fists. the rite of war where anything with legiones astartes: imperial fists can buy a teleporter transponder. a phalanx warder squad in a land raider proteus w/ explorator array for better reserve rolls, a rhino-riding tac squad, and a big 20-marine tac blob with a chaplain, all w/ squad nuncio voxes for deep strike assistance. a terminator praetor with terminator command squad and a squad of templar brethren with all the plasma pistols they can pack in deep strike reserve. maybe swap the brethren for a multi-melta contemptor. add more termies, dreads, templars as points and purchases allow

the main issue i see is handling heavy armor, i'd be relying on terminator chainfists, dreadnoughts and sergeant power fists or melta bombs. but how big an issue that is depends on the local meta i guess, which i have no idea of atm

e: fluff-wise, i really liked Praetorian of Dorn and Sigismund's role in the old Mechanicum hh novel. i want to build a contingent of Sigismund's forces in the outer sphere of the interlocking defensive network Dorn prepared for Terra, maybe include Big S himself in the list eventually

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 28, 2016

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
so since i decided to pursue imperial fists i've been looking at forge world bits and whatnot to make phalanx warders, terminators with vigil pattern storm shields, etc. and it looks like one of the issues of modeling 30k is finding things to replace bits forge world does not yet or will not make

point being, i plan to run somewhat terminator-heavy, and I want to give my termie squads assault cannons, but I don't see an iliastus assault cannon bit in the terminator weapon sprues on their site. what's the go-to bit then, the assault cannon in the 40k terminator box?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mango Polo posted:

Patience is a virtue.

If you don't want to wait, do like everyone and use the fantastic rotor cannons. No one can tell the difference.

aww shiiiiii

those shields are even ritzier than the 40k blood angels assault termies. superb

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to run a 20-man Imperial Fists tactical squad with extra CCWs, a nuncio-vox, a blinged apothecary and a chaplain consul to hunker down on important terrain and beam in deep striking terminators and phalanx warders from a Hammerfall Strikeforce. is there something obviously better i could use those points on to bring in the deep strikers cleanly and hold ground? they'd be supported by a lascannon heavy support squad

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

TTerrible posted:

Consider bringing in plasma support squads when playing hammerfall. They're pretty antisocial.

ahhh i can do one of those for the same points I would've spent on a multimelta contemptor i'd have to start in non-deep strike reserve anyway. five+ optionally non-scattering deep strike plasmas will own

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

the only possessed marine you might genuinely feel sorry for.

shame about that shadow of great wings

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endman posted:

Look at your beautiful Palatine Pals and feel my pain at the quality of future sculpts:

:vomarine:

i'm amazed at how butt ugly their fur loincloths are

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

who in their right mind signed off on those awful looking fur merkins

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sulecrist posted:

Breachers are probably my favorite thing about the Heresy.

those look great

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
maybe they can put the resources they would've spent on paint mixing into publishing new books instead

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

is that supposed to be kelbor hal

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
looks like a nerd

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
those are nice lookin word bearer dickbikes

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
angron's bellowing because he's the one who just busted russ's nose

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
gotta admit, i'm pretty glad i didn't end up getting into HH with Imperial Fists last year when I had the chance

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

weird, why are his hands both facing the right way

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

now that's a gal vorbak

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hixson posted:

Zeal post your models

but of course

behold, a stalwart pewter biel-tan warlock, straight from third edition when i last (and first) painted models

note the unthinned paint, spots still showing white primer, entire lack of highlighting, and mostly dispersed flock

i also have a squad of striking scorpions from the same era in approximate Florida Gators colors

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's a shame 30k dying means the end of solar auxilia, loved those dudes, looks and rules

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

BULBASAUR posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke anymore

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

JBP posted:

Did anyone here not become attracted to 40k as a stupid ten year old? Seems like the kind of thing people rarely get into at 30.

for me it was flipping through an acquaintance's copy of the 3rd Edition rulebook one night on a sleepover, when I was around 10 or 11

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endman posted:

Let’s talk fluff.

I really, really like the whole idea behind the Cabal: a multi-species secret society of ancient, powerful xenos trying to tilt the balance of the Heresy in favor of Horus. They think a Chaos Imperium under Horus will burn itself out within a few generations as the surviving primarchs turn on each other, ultimately destroying both the human race and the Chaos Gods so thoroughly invested in feeding off the human psychic gestalt. Among other things, the Cabal was responsible for the Alpha Legion siding with Horus.

Eldrad Ultharan, the chief space elf wizard himself, knows about all that and wants to try to tilt things back in the Imperium's favor, because letting humanity fall to Chaos seems insane and ultimately suicidal to him, but the rest of the Seer Council of Ulthwe wants to remain neutral and see how the Heresy plays out. With no greater resources than what he can carry on his back and the assistance of an Astartes recon marine who may be the very last Loyalist Word Bearer, Eldrad sets out through the Webway at the height of the Heresy to conduct a series of brutal, psychically-assisted assassinations targeting the leaders of the xenos cabal, to take their influence off the board.

I'm an eldar player at heart, and I really like how they're depicted generally in the Heresy, especially the several visits Chaos-aligned characters make to the Crone Worlds, but the weird precognitive espionage thriller surrounding the Cabal may be my favorite little thread in the series.

e: I know a lot of people aren't fans, but I also really like the Perpetuals. Ollianus Perrson's brief flashback to the quest for the Golden Fleece, on which he was part of Jason's crew at the end of Know No Fear tickled the classical historian in me to no end.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 24, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ineptmule posted:

This all sounds rad as hell. Where is this story told?

The Cabal's seduction of the Alpha Legion is in Legion, book VII I think, and one of my 3 favorite novels GW's ever put out

Eldrad Ultharan and Barthusa Narek, the last Loyalist Word Bearer, conducting wetworks against those fools, is in Old Earth, one of the more recent novels.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you read nothing else in Old Earth, the bit towards the beginning where Eldrad and a squad of Dire Avengers mulch a bunch of Chaos cultists and their Word Bearer Dark Apostle deep in Traitor territory is extremely choice space elf action

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cessna posted:

You’re probably right, I’m probably reading too much into this. I’m a big ol’ real-world history nerd, and most of my wargaming is Historicals. I try to make my toys historically accurate, so that tendency is probably carrying into 30/40K. I suppose I should lighten up a bit on myself here.

Strictly speaking Luna Wolves did fight in the Heresy proper. Gavriel Loken led the last stand of the Loyalist Luna Wolves in the Istvaan system, when the traitor legions purged themselves of their last loyalist elements in preparation for the Drop-Site Massacre. And it's sort of assumed that, as big as the Legions and the Heresy itself were, there were or could be splinters of every Legion who went with allegiances other than the rest of their brothers, though when this sort of thing is depicted it's almost always characters and units from Traitor Legions who stayed loyal rather than, say, traitor Ultramarine chapters.

Point is, if you wanted to do Luna Wolves later in the Heresy than Istvaan you could always write them off as such and such legion cohort that was left in a rear area garrison because Horus didn't trust them to be down with the new paradigm, and survived the forces Horus would've almost certainly sent to quietly annihilate them either just before or just after he openly turned his coat. Running your army under that scheme you could even play Gavriel himself in his later role as one of Malcador's Knights Errant, commanding the last valiant squads of the very last Luna Wolves.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked Argel Tal's weird semi-platonic relationship with the blind priestess from Monarchia

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endman posted:

It sounds like you're hitting the most awful spot in the series. After reading the first three you should read The First Heretic, Know No Fear and Betrayer and then nothing else.

Extreme malpractice to advise that goon against reading Legion.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

adamantium|wang posted:

Wild BULBASAUR appeared!

this is one of the worst things i've ever seen

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Safety Factor posted:

BULBASAUR's crown has been stolen by a bunch of Australians. He can't possibly compete with the inventors of Centurion mode or people sick enough to write an Eldar fandex.

there's a horus heresy eldar fandex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
primaris would be a pretty good way to model the gene-bulked mutants option for playing blackshields