Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PantsOptional posted:

Newbie question: what are the biggest "trap" options (units, equipment, RoW, special detachments)? What might look appealing but is in fact terrible? In 40K I might say that Terminators are the most obvious example: they seem like they should be super awesome with their better armor and invuln save and ability to fire heavy weapons and move, but in practice they end up being overpriced especially since they need a delivery system. For 30K I'm a little dubious about the volkite serpenta but that's about it.

In my experience it's troops and death stars at lower points. Troops are very expensive and easy to sink 1000 points into unless you are carefull. On the other hand, you absolutely do need them as they are one of your few scoring options. Figuring out thiz riddle is central to a good list in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, Sisko nailed it. You need to be very conscious of what you intend your troops to be doing all the while keeping them scaled back enough to take your heavy hitters. Troops are either inflexible,.overcosted, or expensive... but once that investment is out of the way you're able to take the economically costed options in other slots to make up the difference. Does this make sense?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This post kinda grew out of the overpriced unit and 'traps to avoid' discussion into my experience with the troops choices after playing a legion since it came out.

Avoiding Traps
I feel that thr biggest traps are spending too much on troops or bringing too many deathstars. Troops are critical to the success of your army, but they are also one of your weakest links- they are inflexible, costly, and often overpriced. 30K isn't a competitive game so don't worry about min maxing or whatever, that's not the point here, but when you're starting out you need to think about your scoring trooos options and what they are going to do.

This leads to another thing I see a lot of- deathstars everywhere. In 30k you have lots and lots of options. It's easy to spend 400 points on a single unit and an attached character or two. You'll hear often from heresy hams that '30k really opens up 2500' or 'it's intended to be played at 3500'. My opnion is that its mostly because at those levels it's easy to take everything. I actually find 1850-2000 to be the sweet spot since you have to make choices about what kind of army you want and what units make sense. When you begin making lists, resist the urge to overspend in order to make things work. Take single units with specific tasks in mind backed up by one or two support units. Basically, the Ork and Eldar mantras of 'boys before toys' and 'everything must have a purpose' hold some relevance here.

Troops Breakdown

Tactical Squad- The most cost effective troop around. It's run eigher as a naked squad camping an objective, in a rhino, or in a blob with an apothecary. Some legions run blobs better, others favor smaller squads. It's not a bad choice, but you'll need to invest points here otherwise they'll be an 150 point paperweight.

Breacher- One of the most overcosted troops. Despite this, and despite how situational their rules seem, they are a good unit- one of the few who can tie up primarchs for a few turns, block deathstars, or charge into melee with a knight and expect to win the combat and survive the resulting explosion. If you know how to use them, they are fun and good in a defensive role, but suffer in the role they are named after- breaching enemy lines. They really shine in Zone Mortalis. Our group gave them a 50 point decrease and 'move through cover' which for their role makes them way more attractive. Another way to balance them out is to give them melta bombs by default.

Assault Squads- One of the most overcosted units in 30k. It's s hard unit to balance- by itself it will carve through many units in a turn or two, but if it costs too little it'll be overpowered. We got the latter- a spendy unit that dies as easily as regular marines. They are so bad that there are entire ROW that are never used because of them. Our own group gave them a 100 point decrease and a reduced cost of getting more bodies.

Recon Squads- For what it brings, a few sniper shots with marine armour, they cost too much. Being a support option, and being outshined by Seekers or Veterans, they almost never see the tabletop. They just don't have a role that's really important to warrent the points. I don't really know what to do for balance here, honesty.

Tactical Support Squads- Bring the pain. This unit can range from cheap and easy to ignore, to being able to delete any kind of unit, including primarchs, in one volly. They are a good choice in a number of lists, but they aren't cheap, and they die as easily as any other marine. They are priced fair, but it's easy to overspend as they add up super fast.

Veteran Tactical Squads- Think chaos chosen, but better and with even more options. Some legions run them better than others, but they can range anywhere from cheap mechanized scoring units to spendy marine killing deathstars for everyone. It's easy to overspend on them, but their added flexibility and better statline makes them priced fair against tactical marines.

PantsOptional posted:

I was really surprised at how inflexible the basic tactical squad is in 30k in terms of weapon selection. Am I correct in thinking that the best way to get good Special weapons is to grab a Vet squad?

What would you say are the most overcosted units?

The humble tactical squad isn't very flexible, but it's your cheapest troops choice. I also have a respect for bolters. Both in 30K and 40K shooting 80 bolter shots into something often produces good results. Even against marines all it takes is a few bad rolls to loose expensive models to piddily bolter fire. You want a special weapon? 30K is pretty all or nothing- you'll either pay extra for flexibility (like veterans or some legion units), rely on tanks or support units to fill the role, or buy a tactical support squad whevery dude has a special weapon.

As for the most overcosted units, besides a number of special legion units, it's assault squads followed by breachers, thunderhawks, and probably contemptors + malcador tanks.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 7, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'd start it at around 600-750 using the allied FOC. We just kicked off our own escalation campaign and 500 is pretty tough to fill out. We're bumping it up 250 points each time we play.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors, Word Bearers, and Iron Hands can take advantage of the models the easiest. Salamanders, Fists, Emperors Children, World Eaters, and Ultras can make good use of the models. It's a good backbone of models for practically any army really. My only complaint is that it's missing a pair or rhinos.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Which can be drat amazing. Tank Hunters free for my siege tyrants? Why yes, yes I will

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I ran the numbers in the 40 Kay thread, but Calth is about 900 points naked. You'll never run it that way, so it's much closer to 1600 points after wargear. It's a solid box, just missing some rhinos or apothecaries depending on what kind of army you want to play.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Wait wait wait. Hold the fuckinh boat. Alpha Legion praevian with castellax can get BOTH infiltrate and tank hunter due to only the robots exchanging the legiones astartes?

The way it's written, you have to pick one or the other. However, there is a loophole- if your legion special rule fonfers over to the unit you can double dip like you're suggesting. It's pretty clear that this was not the intention, but :effort: forgeworld editing

PierreTheMime posted:

So I'm still wrapping my head around basic builds, but it seems like an Elite choice of Apothecaries are basically automatic? A low price for FNP for a whole unit sounds great, especially on large units.

If you run blobs it's hard not to take them. When it comes to troops the most common builds I see are full blobs with apothecaries, naked blobs of 15, or 10 dudes in a rhino. Rarely I'll see 10 guys just standing around camping something or in a drop pod. This is just for tacticals mind you.

Blobs are fun and can be thrifty, but they are slow and easy to predict. You'll need some other scoring fast attack element if you go all blob all the time. Also prey you never encounter an artillery heavy army.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you want just the resin rhino bits, ebay or :ussr: are your only options. I have one FW style rhino and converted two of my own. It's not that tough to add some armour panels to the metal boxes, but it does require a chisel. Worst case, just use regular rhinos. Nobody will really give a poo poo.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah choosing an arrmy is tough since you're locked in for the long haul. You should definitely read up on the rules and find out what sounds fun and good before you commit. Any legion can do anything fairly well, so it's more about the color, feel, and fluff that should drive you.

But as Pannascope says, real bros fight for the Warmaster.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah I'm probably going to buy up some Word Bearer doors because they're rad and just stick with a standard vehicle. I did try looking on eBay to see if I could find a supply from elsewhere but the minis market, like Chaos, is fickle. :(

Also from a Chaos Daemons perspective are Bloodletters a good buy? Since AP3 is heavily valued I figured they'd be a solid Troop for an Allied detachment.

I don't know anybody who runs Daemon allies, actually. Sisko might have more info for you, but since they are one of the better 40K books, I imagine they'll be fairly solid in 30k land.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Logar lost invisibility because it's a bullshit spell. If you do run invis daemons you should house rule it to be BS1 or something. They've been pretty good about keeping that sort of nonsense out of the game.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PantsOptional posted:

I'm a little confused by one of the Rites of War limitations, which says that you may only take one Consul. Does this mean that you can't take more than one Centurion, since the Centurion has the Consul rule? Or does it mean that you can have multiple Centurions, but only one can be upgraded to a Chaplain/Forgelord/etc?

You nailed it. It's the latter- you can have as many centurions you can fit, but only one that's been upgreydded to be a consul. I don't know why you'd take a bare bones one though.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Germ posted:

Also, how much anti-flyer, anti armour and the like does one need to fit into a 30k list to make it fun for others to play (and fun to play)? What are the enemy units that one needs to be able to deal with to make it a good time?

It depends on the point level and your army, really. In games around 2000 or higher you can expect significant armour saturation along with a death-star (or two) coming at you in the form of Spartan or flying delivery system. Despite this, fliers are pretty uncommon so AA isn't really necessary. At 2000 points I'd make sure your TAC list has:

1) A way to deal with hordes
2) A way to deal with dozens of marines
3) A way to pop AV13 or less
4) A way to counter or tie-up deathstars
5) A way to pop AV15 super heavies
6) A mobile scoring unit or backfield capper
7) A unit or two with interceptor to counter deepstrikers or fliers

This looks like a tall order, but a number of legion units can fit into each category. Thudd Guns are great because they will seriously hurt hordes while giving you reliable AV13 glancing firepower. A mortis dread can sit in your midfield and interdict deepstrikers, shoot down fliers, glance armour, and deal with hordes. The more popular legion units are like this- they plug several holes while being priced competitively.

TKIY posted:

Handy info, thanks for posting that!

Edit, I'm looking at options to assemble from this box set and this looks like a decent footslogging list? Only need to buy the Iron Father, Gorgons and Apothecaries to round it out. I'll be short some Missile Launchers and a Kheres as well:

+++ Iron Hands (1665pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1665pts) ++

+ HQ (455pts) +

Iron-father Autek Mor (225pts)

Legion Centurion (135pts) [Artificer Armour, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Refractor Field]
Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Centurion (95pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist]

+ Troops (420pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Combi-Weapon, Melta Bombs]

Legion Tactical Squad (235pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Combi-Weapon, Melta Bombs]

+ Elites (565pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (150pts)
Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon, Power Sword]
Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon, Power Sword]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (190pts) [Blessed Autosimulacra, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Gorgon Terminator Squad (225pts) [4x Gorgon Terminator, Reaper Autocannon]
Gorgon Hammerbearer [Grenade Harness]

+ Heavy Support (225pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (225pts) [Flak Missiles, 4x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]
Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

I would ditch the combi weapons on the apothecaries and take aug scanners instead. Also the plasma pistol. Your sergeants also badly need power weapons and if you are foot slogging as Iron Hands you should give them close combat weapons as well. Consider changing your cataphractii centurion into a master of signal to park with your heavy support squad for the +1 BS and orbital bombardment.

Other than that, it's a pretty good take on an Iron Hands list based off the calth box, albeit I would probably take lascannons over missile launchers in this list (and remember that your sergent can also take heavy weapons in a heavy weapon squad :) )

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Horus Transfigured

TKIY posted:

If I am foot slogging why would I drop the bolters for combat blades? I'm thinking of them as a fire base or do I have that wrong?

You can pay a few points per model to give them a chainsword in addition to the bolter, pistol, and grenades. I recommend this for Iron Hands because it's one of the few legions that can run blobs in practically any meta. Your line troops are tough and guaranteed to make it where you need them to be. Those additional attacks are a godsend because opponents can no longer block them with cheaper chaff units and you are less likely to get stuck in a tactical blob mirror match. Having 40 melee attacks instead of 20 also forces enemies to either use dedicated melee units, heavy weapons, or ignore them outright. These are all good things.

Sir Teabag posted:

So what are the hallmark differences between this and 40K? I've played since 3rd ed, with 5th ed being my favorite but I never looked at FW as anything other than "cool and overpowered" models.

From my perspective:
  • Only troops score. Dedicated transports do not have obsec and allies cannot ride in each other's transports.
  • No unbound, no formations, no multiple army detachments, no tactical objective cards, and only battle bros confer any benefits.
  • 6 core missions unique to the setting. They favor midfield engagements with a lower emphasis on mobility and more on attrition over time.
  • Melee is a bigger part of 30k. Despite how 7th edition favors shooting, assault happens often due to the number of models involved, the mission types, and how resistant marines are in general.
Those things combined make it a different kind of game than 40k. It feels more 'balanced' despite the crazy amount of options each army has. Also it's not a clusterfuck, unlike 40k.

:ussr::respek::china:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Red Admech Book and 161 of Book 5 (tempest).

I'd love to put these into the OP so people don't need to spend money on a book just for the core rules. I bet the new Legion red book will have them in there, but that's probably 4+ months away.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm just excited to watch Stanyer69 loose every single combat against Panascope.

Thinking about switching to space wolves so I can always beat Hixson.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
ijyt also enjoyed battle of the abyss

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You dudes who aren't playing Iron Warriors or Word Bearers should probably get in the habit of taking vexillas on your tactical squads. You'll thank me later.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So I hear the Calth sprues come with weapon options that aren't rules-legal in Horus Heresy. Any chance of there being enough of them to make a mini-heavy weapon squad or something?

Where did you hear that? It all depends on how your run the squads. Tactical Squads can't take special weapons, its true, but if you run them as veterans tacticals you sure as hell can. Dual melta, dual plasma, missile launchers, or heavy bolters are all attractive options.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah and not enough for a full tactical support squad either, but most people won't run x10 melta gunners of x10 plasma dudes unless their army is built around it. Honestly I wish more people read through the army list. There are a lot of options in there and you need to know what your basic troop options are.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I can some it up in one quote. "It [sic] cannot believe that the very ship carrying five companies of my battle-brothers and en-route to Calth was destroyed before reaching Vangelis in a random act of Xenos contrition"

Edit: Warhammer 30k - Random acts of Xenos contrition.

Warhammer 30k: Big muscly dudes stamping the faces of muscly dudes- forever

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It would be nice to hear from other people who have played besides myself.

From my own experience, it feels deliberate, but it's definitely aided by everyone being on a level playing field (so to speak). Really broken things tend to get quickly FAQed and most benefits have drawbacks. You have very mediocre or over costed units however and the core game is still based on 7th edition.

The biggest upset for me is that they allowed the Cerastus Knight army list to be part of 30k. Most events ban it outright, but as it stands its probably the dumbest thing in the entire game.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

Is it really that bad? I've played a few pure Knights armies in regular 40k, usually pointing enough Melta and Haywire at them while nabbing objectives under their feet is enough to grab a victory from them, though I must admit the two guys local who have the spare cash to run Knight armies are also dumb as rocks. Do the extra Knight varients make that much impact?

From a purely balance perspective all 30k armies can take a single LOW (barring special FOCs) that are further restricted to be no more than 25% of your army. Knight Titans fit into this category along with things like Titans and Fellblades. Enter the knight army- you can bring as many as you like. They also run faster than 40k knights, have fun things like AP3 hellstorm flamers, and can be buffed further through their army list. Imagine playing a calth army, all ~1600 points of it, against 4 knights like that.

e: You're absolutely right about knight players though. Stanyer69 is as dumb as a rock.

Lord Twisted posted:

Mixing and matching is abhorrent and destroys my immersion.

For people writing lists - Bulbasaurs advice about the troops is pretty solid. Either go for 20 men with Apothecary, ten men in a rhino, or go for alternative troops choices.

40k lib ru for people looking to get into the rules. Google it.

Quick rundown on a key part of list building - RITES OF WAR.

At first glance these are kind of like formations... Except balanced for the most part. You have bonuses and drawbacks.

An example is the Salamanders one - Covenant of Fire. You get master crafted Melta weapons, vehicles get a 5+ save against Melta, and you can get Pyroclasts as non compulsory troops. Drawback? No deep striking, you have to take the same number of troops choices as you do heavy support and elites, etc.

These change the way armies are built. A popular one is Pride of the Legion where you can take terminators as troops, but if they die you give up VP.

My other bit of advice is don't get hung up on WAAC or min maxing. It is surprisingly difficult to make a dogshit list. Go with what is cool and fits the fluff. In my 2000 pt salamanders list I have around 800 pts sunk into a Spartan deathstar... In 40k that's madness, in 30k it's viable.

Also :china:

This is a good fuckin post. Maybe we could put a list building post in the OP to help all the new heresy hams? Part of the fun/confusion are all the options. People are probably getting overwhelmed with choices for the first time since 3rd edition.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 11, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm ok with the Kheres Contemptor, but Mango has a good point that as a dedicated vehicle or anti air hunting the dodo does it better. If you're sticking with the contents of the box though, the Kheres will work fine.

I would give Sonic Shriekers to your tactical sergeant. That way you will basically win most mirror matches no questions asked. Kakophani are sadly a very mediocre unit against marines (they are decent against the other 3 armies though) but they are getting a buff in the next book so rule of cool can prevail here. I don't have my book handy, but aren't you missing your second troops choice? Support squads don't fulfill your mandatory requirements. If your ROW allows you to ditch tactical squads entirely then it's probably the right way to go. Take some veterans in a rhino instead and outflank them with the rest of your bros. Consider dropping the armored cremate as well. Until your meta has lots of melta I would ignore it as it's spendy and situational on a fast tank. It might make sense to keep it on the Proteus, but an extra 50 points can do other cool things.

Your ROW is great so you are right on for taking advantage of it. That said, you need an anvil unit capping objectives in the midfield. You're also going to have a hard time dealing with armour as you have limited AT. I'd consider grabbing a seeker squad and either outflanking them in a rhino or putting them into your Proteus as your 'assassination squad' that shows up turn 2 and deletes some poor unit. Fluffy and cool.

Other than this you have 2 deathstars- one glass hammer and another that has no assault vehicle ride. I'd look at those two along with your tac support squad and see how you can move things around to give you. You have a number of shenanigans you can pull with outflanking assault fliers or veteran tactical squads.

:words: :words:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BirdieBedtime posted:

I finished some poo poo.

One full Tac squad, finally done.

Seekers.

Next up, fill out the first Veteran squad and hold on to my butt for Calth.

Digging your Ultramrines!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

koreban posted:

Can you make the dodododo from a base Contemptor chassis, or are they based on a different platform? I wouldn't necessarily object to buying upgrade bits to make it into the better model. Plus I sort of like the idea of keeping the arms and then buying the EC legion-marked contemptor and making Ancient Rylanor.

The dodo is a different robit, so the Contemptor will need to be a mortis or Ancient Ownanor.

Seekers in a outflanking landraider would be pretty neat, but it will be spendy. I think you should figure out what you want to do with your troops choices keeping in mind that they won't be outflanking anywhere. They'll be a big part of your army, and you'll probably want a 3rd scoring unit (I think some vets in a rhino might be a good choice here). You'll need some form of anchor to your list- I think a Sicaran, some troops, and a contemptor might work out. The tank is better in 40k than in 30k, but it's still solid that gives you a punch. Just resist putting armoured ceremite on everything. Then you also need to figure out what to do with your two HQs and how they plan to get there.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Agreed, because everyone knows they're actually the Ultramrines

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

I've just ordered some death shroud and grave wardens because I'm a sucker for terminators. Thank God for comrade Forgeworldski.

Is it safe to assume that terminators without deep striking pretty much require a transport?

Unless they're a counter charge unit, or Siege Tyrants, they probably need a ride. Luckily you have quite a few options.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure that's just for aircraft and LOWs, but yeah, the ammount of options is massive. I've had this army for years and I'm still finding combos.

koreban posted:

Okay, how's this for a second take? I'm probably still weighing too heavily onto including both the Phoenix Terminators and the Palantine Blades, however with 2 tac squads and a tac vet squad with Praetor I was already at like 1100 points.

Upside is that this can be done fairly easily out of the Calth box.

I'm not a fan, honestly. I think you're overspending on deathstars and not bringing enough other things to plug holes. Also as an EC player you should probably drop cataphractii armour from your Praetor since you want to sweep all day every day. Giving him a spear is also questionable as you'll be better off with the blade and +2 to your initiative. Here's an alternative list that leans heavily on the ECs glass hammer style of play using all the Calth models except the terminators:

code:
Emperors Children, The Maru Skara
1860 points

HQ
-Praetor, 150pts
-Champion, 145pts

Troops
-Tactical Squad, AA, Spear, Melta Bomb, CCWs, Rhino, 215pts
-Tactical Squad, AA, Spear, Melta Bomb, CCWs, Rhino, 215pts

Elites
-Veteran Tactical Squad, Rhino, 9 dudes, AA, Spear, x4 power axes, melta bombs, 335pts
-Legion Seeker Squad, Rhino, AA, Spear, x10 combi melta/plasma, 395pts
-Contemptor Mortis, x2 Kheres, 180pts

Fast Attack
-Primaris Lightning Strike Fighter, tank hunters, x2 kraken penetrator missiles, phosphex bomb cluster 225pts 
Here's how this list works. Your Champion rides with your veteran tactical squad. Turn 1 you start the game with two rhinos on the table along with the mortis dread. Turn 2 poo poo gets REAL. Your lightning strike fighter outflanks onto the table. That's right, that means it can't be intercepted. Fly it over some camping marines, murder them with phosphex, and then use your krakens to blow the hell out of an armored target. The goal is to pop a transport like a spartan and open the juicy contents. Then your seekers roll onto the table in their box. You marked their target (maybe even the squad inside the spartan) for death, and so this squad precedes to shoot x20 preferred enemy plasma shots into it. This will probably delete the unit outright. Then your veterans roll on with the soul intention to either melta bomb some vehicle into dust or to grab a midfield objective while carveing your way through most units in the backfield.

At 1860 you need to figure out what to do with your Praetor. I would suggest dropping a few seekers and mounting him up on a bike or giving him a jetpack. Then the bodyguard can be some outriders, platine blades, jetbikes, or a command squad. Or you could drop one of the Maru Skara units, make it a dreadclaw, and then put your praetor into it with 5 penix terminators.

I hope this demonstrates playing up the strengths of your legion and the crazy poo poo you can do even with what seem to be minor differences between the legions.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 12, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stanyer89 posted:

What about... vehicle formations from 40k? :shepicide:

No. Also kill yourself

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Pros: half decent special rules (no Morale from shooting and re-roll failed Pinning tests), good special units, real good characters, 2nd or 3rd best Primarch in the game.

Cons: half poo poo special rules (grenades and melta bombs get Wrecker, The Bitter End), Warsmiths are lame and locked into a spectacularly lovely warlord trait, uninspired rite of war, almost no model support from Forgeworld. And the upgrade packs they do get don't really show off what people think of with Iron Warriors.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
My favorite IW meta troll is the contemptor product page:

Not only does it look like an Ork model, but its arms are just flailing around as if the photo dude said "yeah, gently caress it, it's already ugly and I need to be home early for rugby." Its also unpainted and has two identical product pictures. All the other contemptors have more pictures, almost all are painted, and most have 360 views.

Always good times when your an IW player.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just didn't expect the massive swastika on the back, that's all

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Only if you're running multiple blobs- so World Eaters or Iron Hands type armies

e: gently caress, I need that dreadnaught in my life

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 13, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

Not to be a total bitch but I'm just about ready to pay for the stuff I need to put this list on the table and wanted to be sure I was at least somewhat on the right path here:

I don't know DG that well, but I went through the rules and here are my suggestions:
  • You should leverage your amazing ROW more. I think you might be falling into the deathstar trap here I mentioned earlier in the thread
  • I'd rather you take a spartan than have armoured ceramite and hunter killer on your phobos
  • Drop the tactical squads and run heavy support squads or veteran tactical squads instead. Consider a tactical support squad with x10 flamers
  • A medusa or two would compliment this list very well
  • I'd stick to either one mortis dread or one deredeo, use the points saved to get yourself some proper long ranged anti tank
  • I'm not sure the Grave Warden squad will do much for you, honestly

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

A couple of friends are playing a round of tabletop 3/40k while my gaming group plays a session of Rogue Trader in the same room. Ultramarines legion list vs. 40k-era Cult Mechanicus/Skitarii list. Was hilarious to see Roboute accomplish little of note before getting vaporized by the skitarii shooting.

Compare this to Horus, where your enemy is basically castling up with a clenched rear end in a top hat until he decides it's time to show up and solo half the army.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bunmo posted:

Hey fellas! I got into 40k a bit back in 2012. I'm looking to start up again. I had some Imperial Guard figures. I really like the sound of the new Adeptus Mechanicus dudes. Would it be possible to run them both simultaneously? I never got that far into the rulebooks I just painted a bit then gave up because money.

You bet! You can ally one other faction in the Age of Darkness. He needs to decide how to run his guard- as Solar Auxilia or as Imperial Militia/Cults. That can be either his primary or allied detachment and one of the 3 flavours of admech can be the other.

TKIY posted:

A buddy of mine wants to give this heresy thing a try with me. What's the closest analogue to the Grey Knights in the heresy era? Anything that they make a good proxy for with all the glaives and swords?

Custodes, the emperors body guard, which are due in a later book.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh man that game was brutal, but not as brutal as Stranyer's smashed assault marine and crushed spirit. GG homie

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sworn battle bros, just like George Takei + Brad Altman, also Hixson + Stanyer

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
As I was asking Stanyer69 last night, doesn't it feel good to have a Primarch who's still alive in 40k?

Horus's boot stamping on Sanguinius' face forever

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So you're saying the author has a thing for buttes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Pimp! What are you going to do with the boltguns?

Also which one of these dumpstered my Archmagos last time we played?