Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Finally finished my Alpha contemptor. Have mostly been working on some 40k AdMech so this guy took a while to get around to the final touches and sealing.

His name is Ancient Cor Talus. (After the cortalus atrox - western rattlesnake).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

BuffaloChicken posted:

Very nice Dread paintjob, so I want to make sure you get the name right - the correct rattlesnake genus name is Crotalus, so "Cro Talus" for your guy.

(Did my undergrad in zoology.)

Thanks. I didn't put the first name on the sarcophagus so nothing to fix there, but I will make sure to refer to him as Cro.

Finished The First Heretic, liked it a bunch. Now I'm reading Deliverance Lost. It has Alpharius in it. Apparently he's the shortest primarch.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm putting together Calth marines, was going for White Scars but gently caress painting white and I don't have an airbrush. Sticking with Thousand Sons.

Without any book I have no idea how I want these Calth guys put together. I know they'll probably like the reapers and be more shooty, butt what should I equip the sergeant with? That among other questions.

Battlescribe will let you put together lists fairly easily without the books.

30k tacticals come with a bolter and a bolt pistol. You can choose to swap their bolters for chainswords for free or you can pay a bit extra to give them chainswords in addition to bolters.

For sarge, a power fist, artificer armor, and a vexilla is a good start. I usually put the vexilla on the sergeant. I don't think there are nuncio-vox bits in Calth, but you could model one of your guys with a comms antenna if you wanted. A melta-bomb is a possible cheap add-on for sarge at 5 points.

I think it's lame from a fluff and modeling perspective to always equip sarge with a powerfist, so you can choose from: combi-weapon, heavy chainsword, lightning claw, plasma pistol, and power weapon. But you can't take a plasma pistol and a melee upgrade, only one from the list.

Did any of you enter the "Win a Titan" contest? Here was my entry.

Titan Name: "Lacrimis Taranis", Tears of Taranis
Legion: Legio Ignatum

Prior to the onset of the Horus Heresy it was not uncommon for scions of the noble Knightly Houses to meet in diplomatic consultation on conveniently located forge worlds. These conclaves enabled the knights to share tactical knowledge and swap tales and boasts of epic conquest, strengthening their bonds should two or more houses serve together in battle.

So it was that one such meet was held on Mars at the great citadel of Legio Ignatum shortly before that fell event now known as the Death of Innocence. To mark the day, the honorable hosts Legio Ignatum unveiled a newly fabricated Reaver class titan, her hull unblemished by combat, gleaming with the great hope of the crusade's coming end. The gathered nobility held their breath in awed silence, few having seen a Reaver newly forged. The only sound to be heard in that moment, it is said, was the gentle sobbing of the House Taranis Forge Master Grathan. That such a stern and severe warrior could be moved to tears at the sight of the god machine was noted by the Princeps Majoris and the name "Tears of Taranis" or "Lacrimis Taranis" in High Gothic was bestowed upon that glorious and mighty engine of war. Never before had a knightly house earned such an honor.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 4, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Awesome story Sulecrist. I like the lores quite a lot.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Here is an elites heavy World Eaters build that looks fun to play and not many models to build. How do elites heavy Pride lists play out?

+++ New Roster (2000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2000pts) ++

+ HQ (165pts) +

Legion Praetor (165pts) [Artificer Armour, Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Melta Bombs]
··Caedere Weapon [Excoriator Chainaxe]
··Master of the Legion [Pride of the Legion]

+ Troops (1165pts) +

Legion Terminator Squad (515pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Heavy Flamer, 4x Legion Terminators]
··Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite, Auxiliary Drive, Frag Assault Launchers, Multi-melta]
··Legion Terminator Sergeant [Grenade Harness, Thunderhammer]

The Red Butchers (650pts) [4x Butcher Terminator, 4x Second Power Axe]
··Legion Spartan Assault Tank [Armoured Ceramite, Auxiliary Drive, Frag Assault Launchers, Laser Destroyers, Multi-melta]
··The Devoured [2x Chainfist, Second Power Axe]

+ Elites (445pts) +

Rampager Squads (445pts) [9x Excoriator Chainaxe, Jump Packs, 9x Rampagers]
··Rampager Champion [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

+ Fast Attack (225pts) +

Xiphon Interceptor (225pts) [Armoured Cockpit, Chaff Launcher, Ground-tracking Auguries]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Traitor, XII: World Eaters]

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

BULBASAUR posted:

That dreadnought is sick

It's clean and simple and fluffy. The antithesis of every Sigmar mini made.

How do they get that bright, shiny red metal effect?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Do you guys put CC weapons and bolt pistols on your tactical boltgun marines? It seems like a lot of extra crud on the model...

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Bahahaha. This is awesome. Here is my Praetor, a Lodgemaster of the World Eaters. He's the only one in the army to wear the mark of khorne openly - not a symbol of the god exactly, but a symbol of the lodge. I decided my army is set during the shadow crusade, during the apotheosis of Angron, so the influence of the demon is starting to be felt. (some cleanup on this guy left to do)

He's pulled from three kits. A mk2 assault marine, a world eaters rampager, and a world eaters berserker. He'll be jumping into battle with my excoriator rampagers. Super happy with how he turned out. Probably won't paint any of these guys until they are all assembled and modified.

I'm actually really excited by this mold-hole in the jump pack. It's in the perfect place to touch up with some typhus corrosion and turn into a rusted bit of battle damage.

For this army, I'm mixing in a few lodge symbols like the eightfold star on the Red Butchers' land raider. That land raider has hooks over the side doors, across which I'll pull taught some chains (from hobby chain / necklace chains). The World Eaters realized that enraged Red Butchers are as likely to batter down the lateral hatches as they are run down the assault ramp and if they go out the side doors they might start killing their own guys. The Mechanicum figured out they could put adamantium chains on the side doors to discourage "non-tactical forays". I also put some modest spikes over the lascannons and the coupula to prevent over zealous butchers from climbing up and attacking the crew compartments. It's like chaos-lite, as you might imagine a midway step from a legion land raider to a 40k chaos landraider might be. Initially functional modifications that ultimately become more about ostentatious worship after the retreat into the eye.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 20, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

TTerrible posted:

That is a loving awesome mini, wowzer.

Mark 2 jump packs are the best. So much more character than the other ones. They don't make as much tactical sense as the lower profile jump packs that come later, but they look really mean on traitors.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Hobby progress! I've been trying to put in at least an hour a night working on my World Eaters.

Assembly:

- 1 Legion Praetor w/ Jump Pack, Excoriator Chainaxe

- 10 Legion Veterans w/ 2x Melta-Guns, 1 Combi-Melta, Power Fist, Etc
- 9 Legion Veterans w/ 2x Plasma-Guns, haven't finished the Sarge yet...
For the vets I used studded shoulders on the right and the world eaters upgrade shoulder on the left. They've got world eaters heads and torsos. Turned out pretty good.

- 5 Red Butchers
- 1 Land Raider
Slight customizations to the land raider. I used the 40k model, since I like it enough that I didn't feel like spending extra for a MKIIB.

- Deimos Rhino
My only hobby mishap, I misaligned the left tread a bit (barely noticable) and also misaligned a bit of the hull. I didn't notice the misalignment until the glue had set. It's slight, but annoys me, so I'll have to come up with something to cover it up. I have 2 other deimos rhino kits, so I may assemble those and use the best 2 for this army and save the slightly misaligned one for some other use.

- Xiphon Interceptor
This thing went together really fast and very easy. Nearly everything fit flush without too much need for trimming or adjustment.

I have 1 vet sarge, 8 rampagers, and another rhino left. I made a test rampager but wasn't happy with him. I may need to order some knock-off chinese excoriator axes to make them look good.

All of the marines are off bases and have weapons on the side so I can paint them more easily. I need to get some wire so I can pin them to their bases. This makes fitting the poses a bit easier.

Once this is done I'll take my excess test marines and try out paint schemes. I'd like to learn to use the air brush enough to get the basic whites on things. I need to do some research on paint schemes and weathering techniques.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 22, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I found an awesome converted daemon Fulgrim someone made:

http://wilhelminiatures.blogspot.com/

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That is the most :effort: sculpted base, jfc

I didn't even notice that there's a Gal Vorbak like infused in the rock. Looks like a teleport accident.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Finished my first model of my World Eaters. These guys are set during and just after Armatura - the end of the Shadow Crusade. Angron is losing it. The World Eaters have little operational command and control left. Supplies are thin, but no one really cares. The World Eaters are lost to the nails. What few ancients remain have been purged of the last loyalist War Hounds. The only dreadnaughts left slip in and out of insanity.

Here is ancient Balagimon, once the Terran Balag of Sumer. The shadow crusade has left him a maddened remnant of his former self.

This guy was a test for a bunch of techniques I don't know. I tried out oil washing, technical blood, oil rust weathering, weathering powders on the feet, weathered decals, engine oil streaking, and airbrushing all of the base colors. It's probably over the top, but it was fun using the new techniques and trying to improve my game.

A little annoyed by the join lines on the legs. They weren't nearly as obvious until oil settled in on them. This kit is hard to not have that happen.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
No I varnished the model first. Then I used dullcote at the end.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Kharn comes with a 25mm base. Should he be based on that, or on a 32mm base now?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I've been liking the minitare colors. I think their ghost tints are really neat, I just need to find something to use them on.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

krushgroove posted:

At the airbrushing course I helped on recently, I taught a guy how to do his Salamanders Sicaran with metallic color modulation, basically zenithal painting dark metallics and fading up to a lighter metallic, then going over that with the Ghost Tint green. Came out so nice he re-primed his Deredeo to do the same effect on that. It's the same thing I'll be doing with my Alpha Legion guys, but with the Ghost Tint Plasma Fluid (which is teal).

I'm going to try that! I've been manually washing a few alpha legion, but this might be a much better way of doing it.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I love those thousand sons.

The loin cloths on deredeo are great and over the top.

What kind of shade/wash did you use on those guys?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
What crime did that loyal marine commit to deserve such an injust end?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I wish the all-dread ancients list was a bit more viable. Painting dreads is a lot of fun.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

BULBASAUR posted:

We could easily house rule it. Wouldn't take much to make it viable

I'll stick with my current plan for now. I need to get better at painting infantry anyway.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mango Polo posted:

You weren't kidding about the one-legged wraithknight, holy poo poo.

What's weird is that the rest of it looks like it has a decent paint job?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
That guy would look good in my World Eaters army. Need to apparently get there really early to get him since I missed out on Centos.

Mango Polo posted:

Some people think it's to celebrate the release of Horus Rising since the timing is pretty close.

What? The book? Isn't that the first book in the series?

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 2, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Here's a dude selling all his armies. They are pricey, but well done. There's a 30k Iron Warriors army in there.

I actually bought a Khorne Daemonkin army from him and love it. So maybe others want to check out his other stuff. He's in Austria, everything arrived in a good shape and his painting is quite good. If you want to drop lots of money on hams...and what ham doesn't?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/michaeljahl?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Edit: Holy schnickes, my wife got me a Fire Raptor and a Knight Castigator for my birthday. I'm swimming in projects now.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 16, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

BULBASAUR posted:

:siren:

We're kicking off a VisV campaign at the beginning of next month up in the Seattle area. If you have good hygiene, painted heresy models, and are heresy curious hit me up for the deets.

In case you're scared to google 'power fisted':
http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=199

Very excited for the campaign. My list is built and I've assembled the last guys for a Plentiful personnel rating. I think the team is very fluffy, possibly erring on the side of fluff over effectiveness. This is one elite group of psychopaths. I'm out traveling for a few days, but upon return I'm going to be painting everything up. Should be ready with a fully painted force for the kick-off. It's been a while since I played, so I've been reading rules when I'm not working on models.

I'm slow, though. Took me 2 hours to finish assembly of the last 4 dudes. Most of that time was figuring out poses.

I'm assuming the first campaign is set in the aftermath of the dropsite massacre so I've picked a force I think represents the type of World Eaters that would have survived it. A few of them, would go on to fight the long war, as I have 40k versions of them.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
FML. I dropped my airbrush and it snapped the "tube shank" right in two.

Edit: Ah, I guess it's the tube itself, not the shank. Argh.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 23, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

BULBASAUR posted:

You poor dude, just when everything was coming together :(

I ordered a replacement and then took some parts out of an older brush that uses the same bits. I'm traveling atm for son's b-day but shouldn't lose any time on my schedule.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
What is a good way to get cheap chainswords and boltpistols if I want to convert a bunch of Calth minis to assault marines?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Which is the best rapier battery to start with? Do they make one with a giant chain axe?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone have any feedback or thoughts on this zenithal treatment before I add the base white? I'm trying to do this the BULBASAUR (tm) way. It goes from black, to US Grey, to light grey, to 50/50 light grey and white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sBttFQR5pY

The next thing would be to add a layer of 100% white across the whole model...

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Really nice job on those blues!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Today the new Seattle group starts their first VisV campaign. Here is the list I'm taking to begin the campaign:

code:
Heroes - 150

Centurion [Jump Pack, Artificer Armor, Excoriator, Refractor Field, Melta-Bombs]
Red Butcher [2x Power Axe]

Personnel - Plentiful - 300

Legion Castraferrum Dread [Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer] - LEAD ELEMENT

Rampager [Jump Pack, Excoriator]
Rampager [Jump Pack, Excoriator]

Red Butcher [2x Power Axe]

Tactical Marine [Despoiler, Chain Axe]
AP2 is fairly difficult to get at these low points, so I decided to not worry about it and go for a more elite killy group that captured World Eaters fluff well.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Hencoe posted:

Horus threw.

It would be easier to try and count the good decisions in that war than the bad ones.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Games were fun.

The first game was a terrifying match-up for me as tallkid brought nearly a full plasma support squad and the heavy bolter bikes. My only shooting was 4 bolt pistols and a multi-melta. Much fun was had as tallkid's plasma marines did more damage to themselves than to anyone else and the point was raised that they risked dropping their guns and running away in terror if they continued to get hot. As he says, I was down to three models but once they got into melee they killed everything they touched and that was enough to ensure a stalemate.

The second game had Tallkid and I teaming up against Bulbasaur. The mission we rolled was called something like "murderfest" and mostly involved us running down the middle of the board into a hail of bolter fire (well weathered, actually) and then punching into a surprisingly close melee. Iron Warrior breachers are tough nuts and Bulby was earning action points with every save. These action points could then be spent on rerolls or to buy a unit a special rule for a turn.

Terminators are pretty survivable in these small battles, but the star of the show was probably my castraferrum dread. It got a lot of work done in both games and drew a lot of fire. The foot slogging tactical marines were pretty bad. I need either a rhino or to just bring bolter tacticals as my scoring unit in the future.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
What about spending an action point to instantly reload?

I'm not sure it's worth it, but I think that's a good thing. Not every use of an action point should be clearly good and having options that are usually not good and are situational is a skill test.

(I guess you could use an action point to reroll the roll that caused you to lose ammo...but I wasn't clear on whether you take this test multiple times or if we decided it affected multiple weapon types and if that meant you took a test per weapon type, etc).

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Those veteran abilities are neat for making some WE melee vets.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Since no one mentioned it, the Mastodon is up for order today.

Rules: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets//Mastodon-Rules.pdf

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Because pretty pictures...here is someone's Angron conversion I found online:

This blog always delivers:

https://eternalhunt.wordpress.com/

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 27, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
By the middle of the Shadow Crusade the 12th Legion was committed to a path of damnation. Minds dominated by murderous psychosurgery, creeds corrupted by the influence of malign warrior lodges, they fell further into the arms of chaos with each world they murdered.

Here we have a Sicaran medium tank, one of few to survive until the late Heresy. World Eaters tank crews suffered an immense casualty rate, as their blood madness led them to shock the enemy in armoured charges, preferring to crush the foe under tread rather than fire from afar. It was not unknown for the enraged crews to abandon their vehicles intact to engage in melee assaults. Such unauthorized tactics were often met with commendation by the high command rather than admonition. Even those that retained martial discipline suffered from poor material support and atrocious states of repair as the Mechanicum pursued esoteric goals instead of operational doctrine.

Painted by me! This vehicle is minimally marked in the fashion of the 12th legion. A non-standard star marking shows membership in a warrior lodge, possibly representing a high rank. The laurels and skull marking on the main turret indicates the tank is seconded to a lead element, in this case the assault forces of Kharn and the 8th company command.

Following the apotheosis of Angron this tank would have been repainted red and marked with demonic sigils to invite the possession of its crew. Such daemon engines are few in number and hidden deep within the eye of terror. As individual vehicles are rarely identifiably marked in the 12th, we cannot speak of the fate of this specific tank.

I don't get a lot of comments on my painting when I post on Facebook, so I don't have much of an idea of what people think of this. Feedback is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Not discouraging. That's exactly the kind of stuff I need to think about. I've got a couple rhinos and such on deck, although none are very high priority. When I do them, I'll try to work a bit more realistically in terms of where the weathering is applied.

It's hard to resist going over the top, though. \m/