Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

In my experience it's troops and death stars at lower points. Troops are very expensive and easy to sink 1000 points into unless you are carefull. On the other hand, you absolutely do need them as they are one of your few scoring options. Figuring out thiz riddle is central to a good list in my opinion.
So what does this mean exactly? Just elite units are good at smaller point levels, since big 20 man blocks aren't terribly flexible?

Great OP, Panascope. When I burn out on Orks I'll have some Ultras to post here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

There's blue paint on the bolter and what looks like a regular flesh color over black primer. I mean whatever, it's not the model's fault but that's some pretty shoddy brushwork. I wonder if they picked up the slack and hired on some Blue Table Painting guys for cheap :v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

panascope posted:

Please don't play good guys.
Somebody's gotta

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

How compatible are the 30k bits with 40k bits? If I wanted to get some of the Calth bits from a Veteran Tactical Squad to stick onto some 40k Night Lords Kill Team, I would think that it would be a 100% fit but I don't want to assume.

All Space Marine bits are made to be interchangeable; go nuts.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

Ultramarines are badass. Suck it.

Hell yeah
:agesilaus::hf::agesilaus:

My Ultras are looking like they'll be based around two blobs of 20 dudes with Apothecaries. I'll probably want some sniper squads just to mark targets so they get rerolls when shooting, since 40 rerolling bolters seems like they'll put out a pretty punishing amount of fire. I figure the other two squads of 10 I have lying around can either be special weapon or veteran squads, if only so I can paint some crisp white helmets on them. After that I've got a pair of Contemptors, and then I can move on to some heavier fire support like a Sicaran.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cythereal posted:

Angel Exterminatus was a meh book in general, but it gave the Iron Warriors an Ottoman vibe in places. That would be an interesting aesthetic to run with for them, and pretty distinct from any other legion's current motif.

I liked that it made Perturabo a huge nerd who built models and played tabletop wargames

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

Guys. Stop me. Now I want a ravenguard army :ohdear:
Okay. Don't buy a Raven Guard army.

Buy a Night Lords army instead.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Killer_Bees! posted:

So a bunch of mates and I have jumped head first into 30k. We are all building Zone Mortalis boards because its fun has hell to play and currently slow growing our forces as we go. We all grabbed Calth boxes and chose our respective legions. I foolishly picked Night Lords because ADB's stories are great and I like the idea of underhanded Marines. I haven't had much experience with painting free hand stuff like Lightning etc, so these guys are really my first go at it.

The Terminators and the Dread still have heaps of work to go on them, but I am just trying to push out a 1000pt ZM force for a big game on friday on a huge custom built board.

These guys are so loving dope. Are you going to be doing any sort of chapter iconography on them? I think chapter insignias and maybe a few terror markings on their helmets and these guys will look perfect.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DeadGame posted:

Predators seem like a nice value play. Very low points at 75 a pop, but can be made expensive pretty quickly with sponsons, etc. What's a good loadout for a wolf pack of triple preds?

I imagine like in 40k they're great to keep on the cheaper side. I'd do autolas and give them lascannon sponsons and autocannon turrets and just have them hunt tanks.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

Better start shopping for deodorant then

No ham knows how to do that, who are you kidding

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

What is the cheapest way to convert the tac marines in the BoC boxed set to assault type marines? Anyone know if just general 40k ccw and bolt pistols work well?

They'd physically fit just fine, the kits are interchangeable with other Marine kits, but the weapons are the wrong mark. I guess this sort of set would help you along your way, but it'd get pricey quick:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Legion-MKIV-Power-Weapons-Set
For jump packs, you'd have to go third party.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LordAba posted:

I miss Duncan. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing.
He was there like yesterday. I think they just do a few at a time.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TTerrible posted:

That is the most phoned in bullshit FW have ever produced :stare:
I beg to differ

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sulecrist posted:

I actually dislike it. It reminds me of something really cheap and flimsy and domestic--birthday party hats, maybe? Tinsel? I can't quite place it.

Edit: I'm almost positive it's something edible

It reminds me of the Transmetal Beast Wars I had when I was a kid:

I actually think it looks pretty dope on the Thousand Sons and I think it's a good looking upgrade kit. I wish it had tabbards and more weird bits though; it makes Thousand Sons look pretty vanilla, but I think they're still decent looking bits.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

Is it this guy?

His stuff is amazing.

Good gravy that's pretty. There was a guy on Bolter and Chainsword back in the day with a Crimson Fists army called "Viva Metallica" that was done as an attempt at that sort of thing, but it always looked pretty lousy. Seeing it actually pulled off by talented painters is a bit of a shock and I really dig the results.

Also just ordered enough shoulderpads and some extra bits to outfit my Betrayal at Calth Ultramarines for when I finally get to that whole Heresy thing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

moths posted:

I'm probably missing something obvious, but Chaos doesn't get daemons in 30k?

I've got a ton of Slaanesh daemons and was about to pull the trigger on a discounted Calth box, but I want to use these two things together.

Word Bearers can ally with them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
When I put transfers on my Ultramarine shoulder pads, I always try to cut the transfer as close to the design as I can, and I always put cuts in the middle of the U as well as the corners under the little serifs that pop out of the U. It helps a lot.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm personally not a huge fan of the airbrushed greens - the lights, coils, etc. but everything else about those models is baller as hell.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I dig their tacticool knives and scale armor too. Those are some really nice looking minis. Also the grammar's correct you nerds. Destroy the heart of the army that belongs to your enemy. Apostrophes are for possessives.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

koreban posted:

Need some opinions on the shade of purple to use for my emperors children. I did up two models quickly, just for testing and proof of concept.

I'm tempted to go with the lighter shade because it shows off details better, but the darker one is such a rich color, it's hard to say no.

Opinions?

That rich purple all the way. The lighter purple doesn't provide the same contrast to the gold and white.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
What's this I hear about people talking poo poo about Ultramarines? Because I just painted my first 10 of the ultra blue boyscouts:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Recoome posted:

Weird to see you paint dark blue/gold Ultramarines, but they are some amazing looking duders
Thanks man! I contemplated going full retro with the color scheme, but that seemed like a lot of effort for one joke. The cognitive dissonance would have been neat though.

PantsOptional posted:

What did you use for your gold there? It looks hell of good.
GW's Retributor Armour is really loving good. It covers black in one coat and is a nice warm gold. I used that, Reikland Fleshshade wash in the recesses, and then highlighted it with Liberator Gold and Runefang Steel. My pot of Runefang Steel is getting kinda lovely though, it's super thin and separates easily.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

surely the stormbird isn't just going to be a limited release?
It's just releasing first at Warhammer Fest.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished up my Contemptor from Betrayal at Calth! It's a breeze to assemble; kind of curious why they didn't make a proper mutlipart kit out of it with more options. Oh well!

And a Word Bearers helmet, on the ground where they belong:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I don't care how ineffective this thing may be for its cost, it's huge and that's what matters

I want my Ultramarines to tool around in the Shellraiser here.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

That display is lovely. Thanks for your coverage of the event!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Up, without a doubt.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That's a killer Salamanders force, man.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm really starting to get bummed out painting this second 10 man unit of Mk III dudes. I love the look of the models, but there's so many goddamn rivets to highlight, and the segmented armor is so much work.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You know, til it rusts and disintegrates

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sisko posted:

X-post from the miniature painting thread.

The armor looks good, but man that face looks great.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finally finished the second half of my first tactical squad:

And here's the whole mob of 20:

It was my first time in a long time doing a blend on the power sword and I'm not exactly thrilled with how it came out. Looks good from tabletop distance though. I went with the red helmet on the sergeant as they're post-Calth, and it's no longer a sign of censure. I also just really, really like red helmets with the racing stripe! I also cut a skull off a scroll case bit and used that to give the sergeant's shoulderpad the trademark red skull in the ultima to make the sergeant iconography.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

Wtfffffffffffff

Stop making me want to play Smurfs. Goddrat those are loving pretty.

Lucky number XIII baby

Safety Factor posted:

Nice! It's really cool to see you do a more "traditional" Ultramarines scheme as a comparison to your old school 2nd edition dudes. Out of curiosity, where'd the sergeant's sword come from?
To be fair, the 2nd ed guys are a more "traditional" scheme than these guys :v: The sword's from the Ultramarines accessory sprue, which also has a little Ultramarines gladius to pair with it. I got a bunch of the sprues for their shoulderpads which I can use on the Betrayal at Calth dudes.

Mango Polo posted:

That blue and gold go together perfectly. Those are fantastic models.
Thanks man! As much as I love the retro scheming I've been doing, it's been really fun to do this scheme too.

Hencoe posted:

gently caress, you guys make me want to give up painting because i can't make my stuff look nearly that nice.
That's all the more reason to paint more, because then your stuff can look awesome! I can see improvement in my own stuff every year; my stuff from just a few years ago looks decidedly "meh" now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I really dig the little accessory sprues; my only complaint is that they came out with Space Wolf and Blood Angels ones when they already have really robust kits full of chapter-specific shoulderpads and everything. I don't think the prices are too bad though; 13 bucks gets you enough shoulders for a squad, a few cool weapons, and some extra helmets/chestplate options. It was a hell of a lot cheaper than getting the Forgeworld upgrade bits for my Mk IV dudes, that's for sure.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
What's a good way to run veteran squads? I'm rolling two big 20-man mobs of tacticals with apothecaries and I'm looking for what to do with the last 10 Marines from Betrayal at Calth. These are for Ultramarines, obviously.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished my second Contemptor today:

I even magnetized the big lug!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

I hate to say it, but the groin bit is very cattywampus. Great work otherwise

Yeah, I noticed after I assembled it that I should have had his upper body roll a little more with the legs; I think I was a little more ambitious with the pose than I'm used to. Right now the torso is basically straight up while the legs are at an angle and his torso should be following suit; damned if I'll take the guy apart though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sisko posted:

Finally got off my rear end and painted some duders :

Can't wait to shoot these guys

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The Heresy train ain't got no brakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

Your productivity is terrifying. How long did those take?
About 3 days. I took a break from Warhammer Total War so I could be slightly more productive. last night was basically just cleanup, basing, and transfers though.