Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Those Alpha Legion models look fantastic. I'm looking to get into this 30k business simply for the models, maybe moving to play later. Is the Betrayal at Calth board game still the easiest way in for a Legion army?

e: I'm in Australia, so BaC is $265, so steeper than I'd like. I'm leaning towards just ordering some Mk II or III armour dudes and giving them a whirl first to see if I want to continue.

Endman fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Killer_Bees! posted:

Don't pay retail for calth in Aus, you can get it for 215-220 from the good online stores, I picked up 2 at 215 and was super happy

Sweet, I'll shop around a bit and see what I can find.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Thanks for the advice; looks like I'll be trawling eBay when I get back home.

Now I just have to figure out which colour of tiny resin dolls to paint. Leaning towards the traitor legions. Maybe Thousand Sons. Gotta love that scarab beetle aesthetic.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Just nabbed a Tac Squad from the BaC box on eBay for $38 AUD, that'll satisfy my space marine painting itch for the moment. :toot:

Until I have enough of them to actually play 30k properly, I'll probably use them for Kill Team as Chaos or regular Space Marines. Unless there's a similar squad-level game mode in the actual book.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I love the use of the Mk IV helmet instead of the default bare-head for that model. I may have to steal that idea for my World Eaters.

Endman
May 18, 2010

EC rule because you can field Rylanor the Unyielding.

I subscribe to the Hollywood rule of deaths; you don't see him die, so he doesn't die at Istvaan III. :colbert:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Recoome posted:

EC are cool because drugs and music is really cool

That too.

I was going to paint World Eaters, but then I tripped and ended up with all this purple and gold WHOOPS

Endman
May 18, 2010

Would it be possible to make an army out of a mishmash of loyalist leftovers from the Istvaan III atrocity commanded by, for example, Garro?

Endman
May 18, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

The next book is supposed to have rules for exactly that- 'shattered legions' in 30k sperg. You can take squads from different legions which depending on how they implement things could be really broken

Oh man, I am so pumped.

I mean... not that I can afford to buy those horrifically expensive tomes... but my local GW has copies because 30k is super popular down here.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Should I be using the Emperor's Children Rite of War to get the most out of footslogging marines, or should I shove them into rhinos regardless of the bonus to running?

Endman
May 18, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Always use your legion RoW.

I will be, I just wonder if they'll be effective on foot with the bonus or if they'll get torn up before they close.

Also Volkite weapons look drat cool. It's a shame Tac Support can't be taken as compulsory troops.

Endman
May 18, 2010

LordAba posted:

There is no reason not to take apoth with bigger units of tacs. It fits EC fluff as well! The outflank really helps gets you stuck in as you can set up a lot of anti-tank shooting into the sides of vehicles.

A couple of big Tac blobs + Apothecary seems like a solid choice for my compulsories.

BULBASAUR posted:

The EC ROW is really strong as it lets you outflank 3 units of your choice on a turn you choose in the order you want. In a game where most of your oponnents will have very predictable armies that plod their way slowly towards you, this gives you an edge. One combo I always talk about- lightning, seeker squad, veteran squad. Lightning comes in and blows up a spartan with krakens. Seekers roll up, mark the contents for death, and fire x10 rapid fire BS5 plasma bolts with re-rolls to 1s. The veterans show up with ~4 power weapons and some melta guns to mop up anything alive and then claim an objective.

EC are a glass hammer legion, so build around that strength while bringing some core units that can give you staying power. You want to be in melee since you have an edge there, but if you don't make the charge it will hurt you.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a Lightning sometime in the future, because it's such a rad looking model. Looks like this is what I've been looking for!

Endman
May 18, 2010

Those are some farken noice minis, m8

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'd never considered using a pencil to add metallic weathering effects. That's a really good idea!

Endman
May 18, 2010

I seem to remember someone giving a vague indication of what direction the Blood Angels special units and RoW will be a few pages back. Am I misremembering? If not, I'd love to know.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

There it is. I'm wondering about the boarding bit, whether that means a bunch of boarding shields in my future or not.

Awesome, thanks. Forgeworld really seem to be pushing the boarding marines with Ultras, Fists and now Blood Angels getting specific bonuses to them.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Hencoe posted:

Should be dissent and enemies

"Enemy's" is actually correct grammar because "army" is singular.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I decided to go completely overboard with the battle damage/scuffed armour on my first Ultramarine. He's not complete yet, but I think the effect actually looks pretty rad:

Endman
May 18, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

Nice I'm trying something similar, your dude's eyes are way nicer than any of mine though.

It's pretty easy to do if you're interested, just Evil Suns Scarlet with a dot of Troll Slayer Orange at the front most part.

The Duncan method of doing a white line then glazing it is also good.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I had a spare marine, so I thought I'd try out the Blood Angels colour scheme to see if I prefer it to Ultras:

:stare: So drat red. I love it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Death Guard seem pretty cool to me, tell him to lighten up.

Unlike Mortarion :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

So I went to my local GW today to get myself a Blood Angels upgrade pack. The Forgeworld ones are nice and all, but they don't have...

SPACE NIPPLES

Endman
May 18, 2010

ijyt posted:

So I guess you're not going to shave them off?

Why would I do that?

Endman
May 18, 2010

ijyt posted:

Nipples are lewd and you must protect the children.

And miss my opportunity to confuse and disorient homophobic nerds with the Adonis-like figure of my tactical sergeant? Never!

Endman
May 18, 2010

I gave mine a power fist because it's only 15 points and you get AP2 and good vehicle damage. I've also heard that a combi-weapon + melta bombs is good.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Artificer is definitely worth it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I agree about the resin. There's no way I'd even be playing if it wasn't for the BaC box being plastic. I don't mind the occasional resin figure, but not in the quantities and easily-warped panels of vehicles.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Knowing my luck I will have assembled and painted all these Blood Angels tactical marines just as they announce the Legion rules including better Assault marines or something.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That looks pretty terrible imho

Endman
May 18, 2010

Honestly, I like the stubby, boxy design of the regular 'noughts. Is the Atomantic Shielding really worth as much as it costs? Otherwise I might just paint up a Mk.IV Dread instead.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

Cassian dracos reborn. Im hard.

Yes yessss give me those Blood Angels rules!

Endman
May 18, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Finally got to crack open my drat books.

Blood Angels legion stuff

Anything people want in particular?

......I'm going to need more chain swords.

Endman
May 18, 2010

In light of the recent new rules, how would you guys recommend running a Blood Angels Veteran Tactical squad?

I was thinking a couple of meltas and around 3-4 power weapons, maybe a power axe + melta bombs on the sergeant?

I'm not sure the Hand Flamer or Inferno Pistol are worth 15 points.

Endman
May 18, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

Assault cannon on the rhino, and either assault cannons, plasma, melta, or heavy bolter snipers on the squad. It depends on what you want them to do. The hand weapons are not worth it probably ever.

Assault cannons sound pretty awesome. I'll have to get a pack of the handheld ones from FW. These are the ones I want, right? http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-IT/Legion-Rotor-Cannon-Set-2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

Can somebody repost the Dark Angels RoWs? I think the images got taken down.

Endman
May 18, 2010

DO IT TO IT posted:

Do the Sergeants is Tactical Support Squads carry a special weapon as well? Looking at the unit entry in Book 1, it looks like they don't, but I've heard people saying they do.

They do, they updated it in the Crusade Army List Red Book.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

The RoWs weren't pictures, they were typed out earlier in the thread. Here they are:

My mistake. Thanks for the repost!

I'm surprised there isn't a Terminator-focused RoW, considering Deathwing. Or were they invented post heresy?

Both are pretty cool, though, and the Dark Angels wargear choices are pretty awesome. Shame about the legion rules. They'd gel a lot better with RoWs that focused on large formations of infantry, given the D3 victory points you can give your opponent by being outnumbered at the end.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Germ posted:

Thanks! I've been working in some ruins terrain lately, and it seems like some of the pieces could be modded to make a workable (albeit generic stone and not sci-fi grimdark spaceship specific) ZM setup. The half-way height (up to the gap where the floor gets inserted) on the 2-stories ruins below is about 2.25" or 2.5". Looks like I have some experimenting to do.

There's no reason you couldn't play Zone Mortalis in labyrinthine ruins, the interior of a castle, a cave network, hell even a hedge maze. Just make up some different fluff to accommodate some of the more space oriented stuff

Endman
May 18, 2010

BROTHERS, WE MUST PLANT THIS BOMB IN THE CENTRE OF THE TRAITOR LEGIONS' AMUSEMENT PARK TO ENSURE OUR VICTORY.

WITHOUT THEIR NOVELTY MIRROR MAZE THEY WILL SURELY FALTER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Whatever it is, you can be drat sure it'll be heresy.