Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

BULBASAUR posted:

That's a silver metallic paint. Graphite generally gets put on areas I don't touch. As it is a bit darker it's good for hard to reach raised areas or scratches:

Cool technique with good pics. A great place to start off this new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'd never considered using a pencil to add metallic weathering effects. That's a really good idea!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Wow all I've ever done is paint metallic marines and yet that is a really good idea

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Mango you need to get all the deets on the new book. Also make sure to ask why they hate Iron Warriors and Dark Angles so much. For a friend.
I actually expect you'll see Tyrants at the event this year

Man I really do hope for some cool IW poo poo. After Thousand Sons I'd love to try either them (for fluff) or White Scars (painting).
I keep making fun of that new RoW description, but I actually think it could be awesome. Promote artillery and infantry? If it's done well it could be perfect.

e. And for what it's worth, I'm OK with picking up exclusive models (whatever they end up being, if any) for other YUROOPS folks.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 28, 2016

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I seem to remember someone giving a vague indication of what direction the Blood Angels special units and RoW will be a few pages back. Am I misremembering? If not, I'd love to know.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mango Polo posted:

Buncha stuff.
- Knight-Errant rules. Garro and his brosefs.
- Shattered Legions army.
- Black Shields army.
- Dark Mechanicus army.
- Legiones Astartes rules for Dark Angels, Blood Angels, White Scars. No units, just their unique LA rules and wargear.
- Thousand Sons and Space Wolves are specifically not in the book.
- 2 Rites of War for DA, BA, WS that don't rely on unique units. BA get an ultra-aggressive boarding RoW and an ultra-defensive one.
- 1 Rites of War for all existing legions... or at least for some of them. Kakophoni troops, Gal Vorbak troops, SoH gets to flex their stolen supplies, Iron Warriors shell themselves lol
- Some new units as usual like the Cortus Contemptor.

Should be a pretty bitchin' book for everyone, what with an expected 30-ish new RoWs.

There it is. I'm wondering about the boarding bit, whether that means a bunch of boarding shields in my future or not.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

There it is. I'm wondering about the boarding bit, whether that means a bunch of boarding shields in my future or not.

Awesome, thanks. Forgeworld really seem to be pushing the boarding marines with Ultras, Fists and now Blood Angels getting specific bonuses to them.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They're really cool but they're really only worth it in Zone Mortalis. It's also a surprise, you'd expect an Assault marine focus.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Just to be clearer, the FW folks meant orbital boarding assault. Could be it's jump packs galore.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That was my understanding as well. So far its Fists, Hands, and Ultras. Kinda wish IWs had them as its super thematic, but I'll take Tyrants and Havocs.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
This is a really good summary of what we can actually expect, with as much detail as is available.

Kinda hoping we get a preview of Tyrants later today, but most likely it'll just be headhunters.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
poo poo. Quad mortars are on the list. Here we go again.

I'm stoked for blackshields and all the new ROWs. Also dark admech and new stompy robots. Hell yah. Maybe I'll go full on renegade so Stanyer and Hixson will stop giving me poo poo for not actually playing my legion.

e: VvV There were ones who stayed loyalist- more so than many other legions. I ended up loyalist in our narrative campaign ontop of that. Blackshields are supposed to be the original renegades so this can let me flip flop if I need to keep things balanced down the road or whatever.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 29, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

poo poo. Quad mortars are on the list. Here we go again.

I'm stoked for blackshields and all the new ROWs. Also dark admech and new stompy robots. Hell yah. Maybe I'll go full on renegade so Stanyer and Hixson will stop giving me poo poo for not actually playing my legion.

Why would you play Iron Warriors and not be traitor

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Why hello there beautifuls

Wait

Huuuh, nice helmets...?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Ahahaha that first one. "Me Alpharius. Me smash. Waaagh"

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Ahahaha that first one. "Me Alpharius. Me smash. Waaagh"

And the bottom right one looks like he's got some kind of prehistoric nose piercing.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Eh I'm digging the serpent iconography.

Still waiting for Iron Warriors units

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I think the Headhunters look cool. Also.

Forge World I will edit your copy for free if you send me plastic dolls.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

DrPop posted:

"Sow descent" as in "ladypigs from above." It's a reference to their helmets, god.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
They look pretty sweet, I'm just really need sold on the helmets.
It's also a tiny bit of a shame that those combi-bolters hide the scaled chest plates so much.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Is that a mk VI helmet? in 30k?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Helicon One posted:

Is that a mk VI helmet? in 30k?

Post-Isstvan, Alpha Legion and Raven Guard have good access to MkVI, and the other Legions could easily have looted some by the later stages of the war.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

MkVI was trialed by the RG way before the HH. That also means that AL has access to it.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Trialed by RG, AL, IW and maybe 1 more legion?
Take a guess which one didnt like it because "It was too light and thin" or something along those lines.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

DrPop posted:

I can't believe someone didn't notice this before it was published.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hencoe posted:

Trialed by RG, AL, IW and maybe 1 more legion?
Take a guess which one didnt like it because "It was too light and thin" or something along those lines.

IW and IF :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DrPop posted:

Recidivists, descendants, heretics.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I can't believe someone didn't notice this before it was published.

Am I missing something here?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Should be dissent and enemies

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Endman
May 18, 2010

Hencoe posted:

"Enemy's" is actually correct grammar because "army" is singular.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hencoe posted:

get a load if this nerd

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

What can I say, I'm bored as hell and want to see stuff from the weekender already.

And bad at English.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 30, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That comma is also completely unnecessary.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

That comma is also completely unnecessary.

hey dude i heard that the Iron Warriors are recruiting

Endman
May 18, 2010

I decided to go completely overboard with the battle damage/scuffed armour on my first Ultramarine. He's not complete yet, but I think the effect actually looks pretty rad:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Endman posted:

I decided to go completely overboard with the battle damage/scuffed armour on my first Ultramarine. He's not complete yet, but I think the effect actually looks pretty rad:

Nice I'm trying something similar, your dude's eyes are way nicer than any of mine though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

Nice I'm trying something similar, your dude's eyes are way nicer than any of mine though.

It's pretty easy to do if you're interested, just Evil Suns Scarlet with a dot of Troll Slayer Orange at the front most part.

The Duncan method of doing a white line then glazing it is also good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Endman posted:

It's pretty easy to do if you're interested, just Evil Suns Scarlet with a dot of Troll Slayer Orange at the front most part.

The Duncan method of doing a white line then glazing it is also good.

Nice, I'd forgotten about glazing eyes, I did that for my skaven back in the day before they destroyed Warhammer and I fantasised about a vampire/skaven allied army lead by an undead bretonnian fromage-lord on a throne carried by rats. Luckily they had my back by stopping stocking anything that wasn't plastic and never releasing plastic vampires.

I mainly just lack the steadiness of hand for reliable eyes like those bad boys. I usually do them last though and it looks like thats a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

nopantsjack posted:

Nice, I'd forgotten about glazing eyes, I did that for my skaven back in the day before they destroyed Warhammer and I fantasised about a vampire/skaven allied army lead by an undead bretonnian fromage-lord on a throne carried by rats. Luckily they had my back by stopping stocking anything that wasn't plastic and never releasing plastic vampires.

I mainly just lack the steadiness of hand for reliable eyes like those bad boys. I usually do them last though and it looks like thats a bad idea.

Another trick for eyes, that's more forgiving on accuracy is to paint them a slightly lighter shade of the colour than you're aiming for then wash the sockets with black, to hide any unevenness. Then just dab a tiny white dot at the very back of both eyes to give the illusion of glass.

Here's a close up of the contemptor's eyes I did earlier. In this case I used a medium green, then a very light green for the front half, washed black to add depth and cover any slip ups at edges, followed by a dot of white.