Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So will you have an options for weapons in the BaC box? It looks like there is a multi-melta on one Termie and a plasma gun on one tactical dude but I'm not sure what else.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So what Legion makes best use of the Calth box? Imperial fists? Iron hands?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

whichever one you want the most, friend

So what you are saying is that I should make my own narrative? Forge it, in a way...

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors, Word Bearers, and Iron Hands can take advantage of the models the easiest. Salamanders, Fists, Emperors Children, World Eaters, and Ultras can make good use of the models. It's a good backbone of models for practically any army really. My only complaint is that it's missing a pair or rhinos.

Okay say I'm sold on doing Alpha Legion. As a 40k vet with no Marine models and I'm a total 30k virgin. I want to make a standard 1,500-2,000 point list and I've made my peace with buying some resin.

What makes the most sense to add on to the Calth box, especially if I'm fond of terminators and dreads?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

I've decided on AL, one of the things I'll be getting after the Calth box is a Word Bearers Gal Vorbak squad and maybe a Night Lords Terror Squad. I've got a couple of old school Rhino models and just got a Fire Raptor, and I'll probably get Sicarans or something next year. Then maybe the Imperial Fists mega-terminators just for laughs.

I'll need to get the rules but that's the Alpha Legion rule that let's them take special units from other legions, correct?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

Yup! Like I told the guys I play with, leave it to me to pick the most complicated and expensive to collect legion...

Yeah I was thinking AL as well but maybe not, I don't need another huge project.

Iron Hands would be my second choice.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So is the death guard list in book one current?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Handy info, thanks for posting that!

Edit, I'm looking at options to assemble from this box set and this looks like a decent footslogging list? Only need to buy the Iron Father, Gorgons and Apothecaries to round it out. I'll be short some Missile Launchers and a Kheres as well:

+++ Iron Hands (1665pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1665pts) ++

+ HQ (455pts) +

Iron-father Autek Mor (225pts)

Legion Centurion (135pts) [Artificer Armour, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Refractor Field]
Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Centurion (95pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist]

+ Troops (420pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Combi-Weapon, Melta Bombs]

Legion Tactical Squad (235pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Combi-Weapon, Melta Bombs]

+ Elites (565pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (150pts)
Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon, Power Sword]
Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon, Power Sword]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (190pts) [Blessed Autosimulacra, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Gorgon Terminator Squad (225pts) [4x Gorgon Terminator, Reaper Autocannon]
Gorgon Hammerbearer [Grenade Harness]

+ Heavy Support (225pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (225pts) [Flak Missiles, 4x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]
Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

TKIY fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 10, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I would ditch the combi weapons on the apothecaries and take aug scanners instead. Also the plasma pistol. Your sergeants also badly need power weapons and if you are foot slogging as Iron Hands you should give them close combat weapons as well. Consider changing your cataphractii centurion into a master of signal to park with your heavy support squad for the +1 BS and orbital bombardment.

Other than that, it's a pretty good take on an Iron Hands list based off the calth box, albeit I would probably take lascannons over missile launchers in this list (and remember that your sergent can also take heavy weapons in a heavy weapon squad :) )

If I am foot slogging why would I drop the bolters for combat blades? I'm thinking of them as a fire base or do I have that wrong?

Lord Twisted posted:

Swap the support squad for a Deredeo. Flakk is trash and you'd save some points.

E:also Deredeo looks sick and you'd have synergy with your Legion rules

Yeah I am just trying to stay within the box set a bit. 30k on the cheap if possible! Reworking the list though, Deredo is an amazing looking model and I might have to shell out for one.

edit: gently caress this poo poo is expensive. Any sort of transport and/or Legion specific troops are just insanely expensive, even by GW standards!

TKIY fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 10, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Even then...

:shepspends:

Okay, kind of not feeling the Iron Hands, going to look at Death Guard. Thinking I might be light on anti-tank here, maybe swap something out for some Rapier batteries? Again, trying to use the most out of the Calth box:

+++ Death Guard - 2k (1985pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1985pts) ++

+ HQ (685pts) +

Calas Typhon (420pts)
····Deathshroud Terminator Squad [5x Deathshroud Terminators, Rad Grenades]
····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

Legion Centurion (135pts) [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistol, Rad Grenades, Refractor Field]
····Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Centurion (130pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist]
····Consul [Legion Champion]

+ Troops (540pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (270pts) [Chem-munitions, Furious Charge, Melta Gun, Heavy Flamer, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines]
····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Rad Grenades]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (270pts) [Chem-munitions, Furious Charge, Melta Gun, Heavy Flamer, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines]
····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Rad Grenades]

+ Elites (320pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (140pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

+ Heavy Support (440pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (220pts) [4x Grave Warden Terminator, Heavy Flamer with Chem-munitions]
····Chem-master [Rad Grenades]

TKIY fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 10, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Any reason not to run Mk3 shoulders on the Mk4 armour? Mk3 shoulders look better to me.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Great, thanks. I'm ordering Death Guard heads and shoulders so I figure if I can mix and match that's ideal.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I've just ordered some death shroud and grave wardens because I'm a sucker for terminators. Thank God for comrade Forgeworldski.

Is it safe to assume that terminators without deep striking pretty much require a transport?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Unless they're a counter charge unit, or Siege Tyrants, they probably need a ride. Luckily you have quite a few options.

Looks like the Deathshroud can only take a Phobos, but there is no model?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Ah sweet. Thanks for clarifying. I've got a lot to learn still.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Okay final revision of my starter list. Put Typhon and his scythe homies in a LR. Have two footslogging apothecaried tacticals with a pair of dreads and a unit of grenade launching termies to babysit them. Rounded out with a heavy squad bringing some sweet chem-munitions to the party.

+++ Death Guard - 2k (2000pts) +++

+ HQ (705pts) +

Calas Typhon (705pts)
····Deathshroud Terminator Squad [5x Deathshroud Terminators]
········Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite, Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamer, Hunter-killer Missile]

+ Troops (555pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (185pts) [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamers, 4x Legion Space Marines]
····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamer]

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [Chem-munitions, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Melta Bombs, Power Weapon, Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [Chem-munitions, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

+ Elites (320pts) +

+ Heavy Support (420pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (200pts) [4x Grave Warden Terminator]

So better anti-tank with the Raider there, still have the Deredeo for some anti-air, etc... Now to pay for it :(

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hello there, beautiful...

Looks like GW is including points and stat lines for both 30k and 40k separately now: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets/LeviathanSiegeDreadnoughtRules.pdf

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Not to be a total bitch but I'm just about ready to pay for the stuff I need to put this list on the table and wanted to be sure I was at least somewhat on the right path here:

TKIY posted:

+++ Death Guard - 2k (2000pts) +++

+ HQ (705pts) +

Calas Typhon (705pts)
····Deathshroud Terminator Squad [5x Deathshroud Terminators]
········Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite, Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamer, Hunter-killer Missile]

+ Troops (555pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (185pts) [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamers, 4x Legion Space Marines, Sergeant]
····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamer]

+ Elites (320pts) +

+ Heavy Support (420pts) +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (200pts) [4x Grave Warden Terminator, Chem-Master]

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

Looks pretty savage... But make sure all vehicles have dozer blades (drop HK missile) and are those second squad of special terminators walking?

Good point on the dozers. The wardens are walking but they are toting toxic grenade launchers so I'm considering them as a shooting countercharge unit.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't know DG that well, but I went through the rules and here are my suggestions:
  • You should leverage your amazing ROW more. I think you might be falling into the deathstar trap here I mentioned earlier in the thread
  • I'd rather you take a spartan than have armoured ceramite and hunter killer on your phobos
  • Drop the tactical squads and run heavy support squads or veteran tactical squads instead. Consider a tactical support squad with x10 flamers
  • A medusa or two would compliment this list very well
  • I'd stick to either one mortis dread or one deredeo, use the points saved to get yourself some proper long ranged anti tank
  • I'm not sure the Grave Warden squad will do much for you, honestly

Okay, I'm going to run with my existing list for now but I'll look at some armour or artillery once I've got the hang of things. Graviton Rapiers and a Sicaran sound like fun.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
A buddy of mine wants to give this heresy thing a try with me. What's the closest analogue to the Grey Knights in the heresy era? Anything that they make a good proxy for with all the glaives and swords?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The Calth box really doesn't have anything for the tactical marines besides bolters. If you want to go ccw and pistol I guess you are shopping for bits.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of special weapons is anyone interested in swapping? I could use more flamers and would trade plasma or melta guns.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

spacegoat posted:

I got curious but now I'm confused. Do FW sell upgrade kits by component? Like your ~£11 only gets you a handful of either pads, torsos, or heads?

Yeah generally ten packs of shoulders and heads, five packs of torso, or full squad upgrades which have ten of each.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Broguts posted:

I'm not getting the dumb upgrade packs because A: they're dumb. B: They're nearly 500 loving dollars what the gently caress.

There is a way... The way of communism.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't know DG that well, but I went through the rules and here are my suggestions:
  • You should leverage your amazing ROW more. I think you might be falling into the deathstar trap here I mentioned earlier in the thread
  • I'd rather you take a spartan than have armoured ceramite and hunter killer on your phobos
  • Drop the tactical squads and run heavy support squads or veteran tactical squads instead. Consider a tactical support squad with x10 flamers
  • A medusa or two would compliment this list very well
  • I'd stick to either one mortis dread or one deredeo, use the points saved to get yourself some proper long ranged anti tank
  • I'm not sure the Grave Warden squad will do much for you, honestly

Went back through my list and tried to make this as fluffy as I could for Death Guard. I'm not sure how I can drop the tactical squads though, I thought that vets/heavy support don't count as compulsory troop selections? I've cut back the death star by removing Typhon and I've gone for maximum chem/blast/flamer fun. I also can't justify the cost of a Spartan right now, so I'm sticking with the Phobos which I have. Will need to get some medusas though...

+++ Death Guard (2000pts) +++

+ HQ (315pts) +

Legion Centurion (130pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon]
····Consul [Siege Breaker]

Legion Praetor (185pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Iron Halo, The Barbaran Thurible]

+ Troops (640pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (170pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (170pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (150pts) [Chem-munitions, 4x Legion Space Marines]
····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Dozer Blade]
····Legion Sergeant [Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (150pts) [Chem-munitions, 4x Legion Space Marines]

+ Elites (280pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (100pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Augury Scanner]
····Legion Apothecary [Augury Scanner]

+ Heavy Support (765pts) +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (455pts) [4x Grave Warden Terminator]
····Land Raider Phobos [Dozer Blade]

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (310pts)
····Legion Medusa [Phosphex Shells]
····Legion Medusa [Phosphex Shells]

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Siege Breaker is a lot of points just to open up the Phosphex shells, but those shells scream Death Guard to me :getin:

I could drop out the Siege Breaker and Apothecaries and add in the Deredeo. This also gives me enough points to put a Paragon Blade on my Praetor. I'm trying to stay at 30 PA marines simply because I don't want to buy another Calth box if I can avoid it:

+++ Death Guard (2000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2000pts) ++

+ HQ (195pts) +

Legion Praetor (195pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Paragon Blade, The Barbaran Thurible]

+ Troops (640pts) +

+ Elites (180pts) +

+ Heavy Support (985pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher]

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (455pts) [4x Grave Warden Terminator]
····Land Raider Phobos [Dozer Blade]

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (310pts) [Legion Medusa, Legion Medusa]

Thanks for all the advice, helpful Pokemans. I suppose I could get more PA marines off eBay now, I haven't looked at what the MKIV Tac Squads are selling for.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 20, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BaconCopter posted:

List building in 30k seems infinitely more strategic then in 40k. It's quite a shame that Thousand Suns have always been my favorite Pre/Heresy-era legion, here's hoping they won't be a giant turd.

Yeah I'm really enjoying planing out the army I want to go with. I've posted three or four already and I've probably done a dozen more. Lots of options. Case in point, two Medusas or three Rapiers? What guns on the Rapiers? Graviton, mortars and lasers are all good...

DO IT TO IT posted:

Are you guys using a program to create and paste lists in that format? Doesn't look like Battlescribe.

It's Battlescribe. Just go to 'view roster' and select 'BB Code' from the list and it formats it like that for you.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 20, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Do special terminators (Tyrant Siege, Grave Wardens) become troops if you take Pride of the Legion? I though just regular terminator squads did, not any infantry in terminator armour.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
What's LACAL?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So are the Graviton rapiers the best all around rapier option? Good against power armour, terminators and high av models.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Cool, I bought a couple of them on a whim. I guess in my group no one will care if I proxy then for laser destroyers as long as it's consistent across the unit.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Calth box doesn't include the Havoc Launcher, does it?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Boo.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Mechanicum-Ordinatus-Ulator

Its finally here, and hilariously can be taken in 40k for cult mechanicus and skittarii, but wait, the skittarii FoC doesnt have a LoW slot and cant take a CAD.....

The rules for this thing are ridiculous but they should be given the 1,000+ point cost.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

The red mechanicum book. Basically, you lay the 7-inch blast template down, and then move it straight ahead 72". EVERYTHING under it takes a hit, str depending on what sort of model. Infantry takes a S5 hit, monstrous creatures S8, vehicles S10 and superheavies the D. Ignores cover, instant death, do not pass go.

The first round of the game, D weapon shooting at it gains -3 on the damage chart. 2nd round its -2 and 3 round onwards its -1.

Its also sporting three Volkite Culverins for soft targets.

Also I think the template crosses the table regardless of distance. The 72" one is the alternate weapon.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

72" for the beam hitting absolutely everything it crosses including flyers. The volcano cannon is 180".

Okay sorry I had them backwards. Still it's a big-bada-boom.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Forgeworld made this one right? I think they did the sprues and the rules.

Hopefully the Specialist Games Studio does a similarly good job.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Am I wrong or is that Raven Guard in plastic, not Resin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I just played against a 30k Imperial Fists list and he was getting Sniper on all his bolter weapons, but I'm not sure how he was doing that?

He's a new player so it could have been an honest mistake, but it cut my poo poo up pretty good.