Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

OhDearGodNo posted:

Just received another email: "See it in stores" on Nov 7th.

Still ambiguous as to if it's a reveal or on sale tomorrow.

It will be on display tomorrow and available for pre-order. The game is released on the 14th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

OhDearGodNo posted:

Cool. Compare that to what I received.

Yeah, I got that email too. Had I known it's been available since July 11th I'd have already bought it! :v:

All the information should have been in there, though. Considering it's been printed on a poster in-stores for at least a week now it's not a secret to be guarded.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Having just seen the Calth set I am very glad there is no faction iconography. I'll be picking up some FW pieces to add some Chaos mutation, but it's super great the new kit could be any HH army without spending hours scraping Us or winged swords off things.

Also the new WD comes with a tiny Ultramarine button. :3:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
So I'm still wrapping my head around basic builds, but it seems like an Elite choice of Apothecaries are basically automatic? A low price for FNP for a whole unit sounds great, especially on large units.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I really like the look of Deimos-pattern Rhinos, but I'm a bit bummed that Forgeworld doesn't seem to offer just the upgrade bitz and has instead decided to sell the whole kit for a remarkable sum. Do people just use standard Rhinos or how do you all go about it?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

serious gaylord posted:

Aren't they complete models and not based on the original?

Nope, it's just an upgrade kit that gets slapped on the standard Rhino chassis.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
So do I just assume that the Word Bearers got a sweet shipment of new STC Rhinos prior to their turn? I would like the "old" 30K look but don't want to pay upwards of a hundred dollars for a single transport when standards go for $20ish.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

LordAba posted:

It does come with the full rhino sprue. You use everything from the rhino kit except for the front panel and the outer side panels. So not quite "slapped on", but replaces some key parts. The little turret parts are replaced as well.

EDIT: They should still have the "buy three at a discount" set on the forgeworld site.

3 for $151.50 plus $22.68 shipping is pretty steep. :/ I guess I'll stick with standard Rhinos for now.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

If you want just the resin rhino bits, ebay or :ussr: are your only options. I have one FW style rhino and converted two of my own. It's not that tough to add some armour panels to the metal boxes, but it does require a chisel. Worst case, just use regular rhinos. Nobody will really give a poo poo.

Yeah I'm probably going to buy up some Word Bearer doors because they're rad and just stick with a standard vehicle. I did try looking on eBay to see if I could find a supply from elsewhere but the minis market, like Chaos, is fickle. :(

Also from a Chaos Daemons perspective are Bloodletters a good buy? Since AP3 is heavily valued I figured they'd be a solid Troop for an Allied detachment.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

Don't know about Bloodletters specifically, but it does open the very unique option of running Be'lakor with his annoying Invisibility spell.

I'm going to start with a "nice" friendly game list. Belakor is when I move into the "go gently caress yourself" lists later on. Belakor and a transfigured Lorgar running around as Invisibility bros sounds fun though!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Cythereal posted:

Basically, what's your tolerance for randomness and what exactly do you want out of your allies? What do you want them to bring that you do not have, either due to the limitations of your codex in general or your army's particular construction?

Chaos Daemons are not all that random now, actually. The primary source of randomness is the Warp Storm table, which is only used if the army is your Primary Detachment and won't happen in a Horus Heresy game. All Chaos Daemons have the Deep Strike special rule but it is not required to use. In fact most Daemons are better off starting on the table, especially if they are assault oriented. There are also inexpensive unit upgrades that make Deep Striking within range of a model precise or at least reduce the scatter distance. Considering the cost of Legion units you can fit a ton of bodies into a list with some unique abilities and still have points left for a solid core army. They're not the best army by far, but they can be fluffy and interesting additions in a world where 80%+ of what you see is MEq.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

The Sisko posted:

For me personally I don't mind randomness but from what I've heard about the Daemons is that there is quite a bit of randomly generated war gear and so on and to be perfectly honest that might be a bit of pain as I'd rather not waste the time I get to play with my plastic space barbies. Other than that I really don't know a whole lot about the army though I do have a soft spot for Nurgle from just a purely fluff point of view. I'd appreciate any insights people have on this army.

Nurgle is very resilient and slow (cannot Run), which should not be surprising. Most Nurgle units are considered to be strong choices because they have Shrouded and access to Poison. Nurgle Daemon Princes with wings are hilariously good because they can fly in and Jink if fired upon, getting a 2+ cover save. It is always best to outfit Greater Daemons and Daemon Princes with two Greater Gifts because the choices that they offer are strong and give you access to a powerful weapon choice if your roll isn't that great.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 10, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
So here's my fist attempt at using most of the Calth models for a Word Bearers army with some :unsmigghh: Chaos Daemons :unsmigghh:

Rite of War: The Dark Brethren

HQ:
Legion Centurion 50pts (122pts)
++Burning Lore 30pts
++Combi-melta 7pts
++Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon 35pts

Legion Centurion 50pts (135pts)
++Artificer Armor 10pts
++Burning Lore 30pts
++Charnal Blade 10pts
++Diabolist 35pts

Elites:
Apothecarion Detachment
Legion Apothecary 45pts (60pts)
++Augury Scanner 5pts
++Artificer Armor 10pts
Legion Apothecary 45pts (60pts)
++Augury Scanner 5pts
++Artificer Armor 10pts

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren 200pts (205pts)
++Artificer Armour 5pts
++Tainted Weapon 10pts

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon 175pts
++Multi-melta

Troops:
Legion Tactical Squad 150pts (225pts)
++Artificer Armor 10pts
++5x Legion Space Marines 50pts
++Meltabombs 5pts
++Power Weapon 10pts

Legion Tactical Squad 150pts (225pts)
++Artificer Armor 10pts
++5x Legion Space Marines 50pts
++Meltabombs 5pts
++Power Weapon 10pts

Allied Detachment (Chaos Daemons)

HQ:
Daemon Prince 145pts (230pts)
++Daemon of Nurgle 15pts
++Greater Gift of Chaos 20pts
++Greater Gift of Chaos 20pts
++Wings 30pts

Troops:
19x Bloodletters of Khorne 190pts (195pts)
++Bloodreaper 5pts
18x Bloodletters of Khorne 180pts (185pts)
++Bloodreaper 5pts

Heavy Support:
Soulgrinder 140pts (180pts)
++Daemon of Nurgle 15pts
++Phlegm Bombardment 25pts

Total Points: 1997pts

It's a giant foot-slogging list with a TON of AP3 weapons to put the fear of Daemons into all involved. It's not entirely optimized, mostly to use the sweet character models out of the box and I skipped the Terminators because I ran out of Elite slots. It's my first time really starting to read through the HH books and get my head around the new unit options. Thoughts?

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 10, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
So what's considered a good "deathstar" for Word Bearers? Beside the Gal Vorbak they don't have anything especially unique and while awesome the Gal are certainly defeatable and don't score.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

koreban posted:

Also Fulgrim is still alive and chilling out on a pleasure planet, while Horus is dead and his inept sidekick has yet to launch a successful campaign in 10,000 years, even with the most purestrain geneseed and personal tutelage from the "greatest warrior ever."

To be fair, one of these characters is a boobsnake at this point.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Deptfordx posted:

So do we know if the Betrayal of Calth is a limited edition at all. Becaus if not I was kinda thinking of holding out to at least HH book six came out and we had more legion choices. I'd especially like to see what the twin Angels get.

Games Workshop looooves slapping :siren:LIMITED EDITION!!!:siren: on everything it can, so if it was we'd have seen it on the box by now.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
In a game system where Psykers appear to be more rare it seems like investing in some Chaos daemons and specifically the Grimoire of True Names might be a good way to bolster a full Gal Vorbak unit, especially if you include Zardu Layak for a Cursed Earth cast. A 2+ invulnerable 2/3rds of the time would really help a giant footslogging unit.

Am I crazy or does this seems like a solid way to go?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

not lame! posted:

Are the Gal Vorbak models single pose then?

Yes, they are five unique mono-pose models. They're gorgeous but unless you mod them you're going to have doubles.

Speaking of, I bought some from eBay late last week with a 3-6 week delivery estimate and got them in the mail today. :stare:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

BirdieBedtime posted:

The thing with Gal Vorbak is they absolutely tower over any other Legion model, especially if you give their basing a bit of extra polish. Even if you hold that Death Guard down there up so their feet are level, the Word Bearer still has a solid head on him. Many of the joins between parts are fairly smooth, and there are areas that would take a saw pretty well, so there's plenty room to add some variation with a bit of elbow grease.

Also, holy poo poo I need to repaint that scythe.

This is truth. I didn't realize until putting them together how big the Gal Vorbak were but the pricetag on them makes a lot more sense seeing them in person. There's no indication of their size on the Forgeworld site and just about every picture I've seen of them is on their own with no sense of scale.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Cythereal posted:

For what it's worth, FW said they'll be getting their own psychic discipline. I wonder if it will be something like every sergeant is an ML1 psyker.

It would be nicer if they gained Mastery Levels as a unit based on their size via Brotherhood of Psykers. Many Thousand Sons members are Psykers, if only a little. Being able to pool ML dice by growing by fielding large units would be a good way to entice players for large blocks over smaller units.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Has anyone worked on modding the Calth Contemptor model to use two Kheres assault cannons? I saw someone post a completed shot online and it looks good but I wanted to know how much work was involved.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Anyone using the Multimelta arm care to sell me your Assault Cannon bitz? I suppose I could buy a whole new Contemptor on eBay, but I figured I'd check first.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Lookin' forward to their special rules all being hot garbage like all other instances of Thousand Sons. :smith:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
My apothecaries arrived. :china: Ah, hello old friend, bending warmed wet resin. I remember you.

...I did not miss you.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Moose-Alini posted:

Awesome thanks guys! Can I do a traitor force and have them never be all chaos corrupted? And if so can that translate to 40k at all?

There are a wide variety of "traitor" Space Marine factions in 40K, who may cooperate with Chaos-corrupted out of necessity but are otherwise just out for themselves and not the Imperium. The Red Corsairs are the largest faction but by no means the only one. Feel free to make up your own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Finally getting around to starting into some of my BaC models, if only to break up the monotony of all the cultists I'm wading through. Maybe I'll have a small army done by the time the new book arrives.

Might add the transfer onto the shoulder or just freehand it. Not sure--I always think transfers look a little too neat if everything else is handpainted.