Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Are you guys using a program to create and paste lists in that format? Doesn't look like Battlescribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BaconCopter posted:

List building in 30k seems infinitely more strategic then in 40k. It's quite a shame that Thousand Suns have always been my favorite Pre/Heresy-era legion, here's hoping they won't be a giant turd.

Yeah I'm really enjoying planing out the army I want to go with. I've posted three or four already and I've probably done a dozen more. Lots of options. Case in point, two Medusas or three Rapiers? What guns on the Rapiers? Graviton, mortars and lasers are all good...

DO IT TO IT posted:

Are you guys using a program to create and paste lists in that format? Doesn't look like Battlescribe.

It's Battlescribe. Just go to 'view roster' and select 'BB Code' from the list and it formats it like that for you.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 20, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I kinda feel like taking apothecaries to get augury scanners in squads is kinda lol fw

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can use Battlescribe, but it has errors and it doesn't take into account errata and FAQs sometimes. I just know the book well and use excel.

There are so many relatively good options that I have probably about 4000 points worth of stuff that I can rotate around depending on what kind of list I want to play. That's what makes picking your army so much more important (no pressure, heh)

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I kinda feel like taking apothecaries to get augury scanners in squads is kinda lol fw

Legions have lots of access to interceptor, which helps counter deep striker armies as well as infiltrators. The 18" range limits the use, though. Makes apothecaries even more badass. Ask Stanyer69 about deepstriking 10 terminators in front of a 8 man plasma tactical support squad with interceptor :getin:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 20, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh, I mean, they're great. I'm always like, "oh, 50 points to make my 20 marines have interceptor? sure, why not" because have fun with 20-40 bolter rounds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BaconCopter posted:

List building in 30k seems infinitely more strategic then in 40k. It's quite a shame that Thousand Suns have always been my favorite Pre/Heresy-era legion, here's hoping they won't be a giant turd.

For what it's worth, FW said they'll be getting their own psychic discipline. I wonder if it will be something like every sergeant is an ML1 psyker.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

BaconCopter posted:

That will probably be the Dark Angels :v:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Edit: ^^^^^^ :butt:

TKIY posted:

Yeah I'm really enjoying planing out the army I want to go with. I've posted three or four already and I've probably done a dozen more. Lots of options. Case in point, two Medusas or three Rapiers? What guns on the Rapiers? Graviton, mortars and lasers are all good...

My post was directly because of your list changes, peoples comments and critiques on it, and most importantly wh 40k lib ru. :)

Cythereal posted:

For what it's worth, FW said they'll be getting their own psychic discipline. I wonder if it will be something like every sergeant is an ML1 psyker.

Perfect. That's a really good start. Your idea would be pretty neat, casting powers is just like in 7th ala psyker phase, right? There are so many paths FW could take to make them unique.

Are there any decent 1kSons books/stories out there yet?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I wrote up some house rules for Hixson if you 1K sons guys want to use them in the meantime. You risk incompatibility with whatever FW creates though :v:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

oh, I mean, they're great. I'm always like, "oh, 50 points to make my 20 marines have interceptor? sure, why not" because have fun with 20-40 bolter rounds.

Admittedly they are much more deadly in 40k, but you can still use it for good effect in 30k. Remember that you can intercept with your pistols. Some dude just deepstruck 12" away from you? Oh cool, gonna shoot you with 20 bolt pistols, then fury of the legion next turn for 80 more.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

not lame! posted:

That will probably be the Dark Angels :v:

People poo poo on their relic, but almost nobody is immune to fear. If somebody has 6 infantry type units on the board turn 1 you stand a good chance of having a few of them run away before the game even begins.

Or maybe they'll get the Iron Warriors treatment and get something cool like +1 WS against immobile vehicles.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I just know the book well and use excel.

Hmmmmmmm

BULBASAUR posted:

I wrote up some house rules for Hixson if you 1K sons guys want to use them in the meantime. You risk incompatibility with whatever FW creates though :v:

Admittedly they are much more deadly in 40k, but you can still use it for good effect in 30k. Remember that you can intercept with your pistols. Some dude just deepstruck 12" away from you? Oh cool, gonna shoot you with 20 bolt pistols, then fury of the legion next turn for 80 more.

Augury scanner only gives interceptor to rapid fire and heavy weapons and only against poo poo that's within 18" of the Apothecary.

BULBASAUR posted:

People poo poo on their relic, but almost nobody is immune to fear. If somebody has 6 infantry type units on the board turn 1 you stand a good chance of having a few of them run away before the game even begins.

I'm about 100% certain Fear doesn't work this way.

panascope fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 20, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Look at me getting owned left and right. The DA relic looks like it only triggers when people are in assault, and its just fear and not leadership, which makes it firmly garbage, much like Panascope's posting.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cythereal posted:

It would be nicer if they gained Mastery Levels as a unit based on their size via Brotherhood of Psykers. Many Thousand Sons members are Psykers, if only a little. Being able to pool ML dice by growing by fielding large units would be a good way to entice players for large blocks over smaller units.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

BULBASAUR posted:

Or maybe they'll get the Iron Warriors treatment and get something cool like +1 WS against immobile vehicles.

Can you explain what is so horrifically wrong about the Iron Warriors? I've looked through their rules and they don't seem half bad.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Look at me getting owned left and right. The DA relic looks like it only triggers when people are in assault, and its just fear and not leadership, which makes it firmly garbage, much like Panascope's posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQNDCx_6sk4

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Pros: half decent special rules (no Morale from shooting and re-roll failed Pinning tests), good special units, real good characters, 2nd or 3rd best Primarch in the game.

Cons: half poo poo special rules (grenades and melta bombs get Wrecker, The Bitter End), Warsmiths are lame and locked into a spectacularly lovely warlord trait, uninspired rite of war, almost no model support from Forgeworld. And the upgrade packs they do get don't really show off what people think of with Iron Warriors.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Sisko posted:

Can you explain what is so horrifically wrong about the Iron Warriors? I've looked through their rules and they don't seem half bad.

Wrecker gets people extra mad because it's literally useless in most games.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

panascope posted:

I love the idea of fortifications, but they just don't work that well in the rules. I'm not sure *what* they need, but they need something.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

panascope posted:

Ah ok that makes sense. Why don't you house rule some of that stuff as you guys seem fond of that anyway? Maybe instead of wrecker they get sunder or maybe the Warsmith gets Ignores Cover as well as his unit?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

That would reduce Mad Levels in our games and so it's forbidden.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Replacing all wrecker in the IW entries with sunder would be awesome, but I would probably be forcibly ejected from the local playgroup, my tyrants are enough of a blight according to some sources.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Sisko posted:

Ah ok that makes sense. Why don't you house rule some of that stuff as you guys seem fond of that anyway? Maybe instead of wrecker they get sunder or maybe the Warsmith gets Ignores Cover as well as his unit?

I played against 40k armies back when nobody really knew the heresy stuff. Half our group (actually, it was 70% Stanyer69) called the generic list 'overpowered bullshit'. Imagine if in the first heresy game we played together I'd thrown house rules ontop of everything. It's just easier to run something that exists to get people into the game. Now that we're all playing the same system it's easier. I'm waiting for the new legion book. The shattered legions and blackshields are supposedly getting rules so if I feel particularly bitter there's always that option to make everyone extra super mad

ITT: Bulbasaur, Heresy Hipster

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Nice, I didn't know Battlescribe could do this. I'm working on an Iron Warriors list to starting playing with my buddy who's starting up Imperial Fists, using the Calth set as a starting point. I'm not sure what to do to hit 2000 or if I even really want to do Pride of the Legion. I kinda like the idea of running 2 full 20-man tac squads in Troops. I kinda want to take 10 destroyers w/ 2 rad missiles in a rhino, or maybe some iron havocs or a laser destroyer vindicator. But I don't really know how to approach it.

+++ New Roster (1770pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1770pts) ++

+ HQ (260pts) +

Legion Centurion (105pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts)]
····Consul (45pts) [Siege Breaker (45pts)]

Legion Praetor (155pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon (35pts), Paragon Blade (20pts)]
····Master of the Legion [Pride of the Legion]

+ Troops (780pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (285pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines (190pts), Legion Vexilla (10pts)]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant (25pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Power Fist (15pts)]

Legion Terminator Squad (200pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 4x Legion Terminators (120pts), 4x Power Fist (20pts)]
····Legion Terminator Sergeant (5pts) [Power Fist (5pts)]

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad (295pts) [Tyrant Siege Master, 4x Tyrant Terminator (200pts)]

+ Elites (235pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (55pts)
····Legion Apothecary (55pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts)]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons (25pts)]

+ Heavy Support (495pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (185pts)

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (310pts)
····Legion Medusa (155pts) [Phosphex Shells, Shrapnel Bolts]
····Legion Medusa (155pts) [Phosphex Shells, Shrapnel Bolts]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [IV: Iron Warriors]

Created with BattleScribe

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
It is pretty cool.

I'm jumping on the list bandwagon. I'm also using Calth as the basis for my army, with a few bits and conversions to round out some extra guys. I really like light infantry, so I'll want to make use of Alpha Legion's ability to infiltrate the majority of the time. The real question is how I build the list, and build up from there. I guess, right now, the plan is I infiltrate forward and try not to die. The 20 man blob has Feel No Pain from the Apoc, and Stealth with a Void Shield Harness from the Consul. Everyone tries to scrunch into cover around the enemy, with the Terminators able to risk sitting in the open versus some lists. I shoot people a bunch, and then charge forward and punch them turn 2. It is, uh, a plan I guess.

+++ Alpha Legion (1760pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1760pts) ++

+ HQ (475pts) +

Exodus (115pts)

Legion Centurion (165pts) [Bolter with only Banestrike Rounds (5pts), Melta Bombs (5pts), Power Armour, Power Dagger (5pts), Power Weapon (15pts), Refractor Field (10pts), Void Shield Harness (40pts)]
····Consul (35pts) [Vigilator (35pts)]

Legion Praetor (195pts) [Chainfist (15pts), Nanyte Blaster (40pts), Power Dagger (5pts), Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon (35pts)]

+ Troops (845pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (325pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines (190pts), Legion Vexilla (10pts), Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade (40pts)]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant (25pts) [Melta Bombs (5pts), Power Dagger (5pts), Power Fist (15pts)]

Lernaen Terminator Squad (260pts) [4x Lernean Terminator (160pts), 4x Power Fist (20pts)]
····Harrower (15pts) [Power Fist (5pts), Venom Sphere Harness (10pts)]

Lernaen Terminator Squad (260pts) [4x Lernean Terminator (160pts), 4x Power Fist (20pts)]
····Harrower (15pts) [Power Fist (5pts), Venom Sphere Harness (10pts)]

+ Elites (50pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (50pts)
····Legion Apothecary (50pts) [Augury Scanner (5pts)]

+ Fast Attack (390pts) +

Headhunter Kill Teams (195pts) [4x Headhunter (100pts)]
····Headhunter Prime (20pts) [Melta Bombs (5pts), Power Fist (15pts)]

Headhunter Kill Teams (195pts) [4x Headhunter (100pts)]
····Headhunter Prime (20pts) [Melta Bombs (5pts), Power Fist (15pts)]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XX: Alpha Legion]

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Do special terminators (Tyrant Siege, Grave Wardens) become troops if you take Pride of the Legion? I though just regular terminator squads did, not any infantry in terminator armour.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some of them do, yeah. It was FAQed or added into LACAL, I don't remember how it happened exactly. Tyrants as troops is a pretty popular choice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BULBASAUR posted:

Some of them do, yeah. It was FAQed or added into LACAL, I don't remember how it happened exactly. Tyrants as troops is a pretty popular choice.

Tyrants are also a very popular choice for Rewards of Treason, incidentally, from what I've been reading various places online. Tank Hunters really helps them out and gives the Alphas a very nice heavy-duty shooting unit.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
What's LACAL?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TKIY posted:

What's LACAL?

legiones astartes crusade army list, aka the red book

basically the 30k rulebook and codex all in one

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Tyrants don't come with Tank Hunters, right? I thought they only come with Wrecker and you had to put a Siege Breaker with them to get Tank Hunters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DO IT TO IT posted:

Tyrants don't come with Tank Hunters, right? I thought they only come with Wrecker and you had to put a Siege Breaker with them to get Tank Hunters.

Correct, which is why they're popular for the Alpha Legion to grab, since Rewards of Treason means you can bestow Tank Hunters on Tyrants if you choose that for the Alphas' Mutable Tactics.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Alrighty Goons , I have list that could use some critique. Just to clarify, the praetor and Gal Vorbak are rolling around in the Spartan while the Navigator will go with the Veteran Squad with outflank.

+++ Word Bearers (1850pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1850pts) ++

+ HQ (235pts) +

Legion Praetor (185pts) [Burning Lore, Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Pair of Lightning Claws]

Navigator (50pts)

+ Troops (765pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (255pts) [Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Sniper]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (255pts) [Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Sniper]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (255pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Melta Gun, Outflank, 2x Power Weapon]

+ Elites (210pts) +

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren (210pts) [4x Dark Brethren]
····Dark Martyr [Artificer Armour]

+ Heavy Support (640pts) +

Legion Spartan Assault Tank (340pts) [Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield]

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius (115pts)

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XVII: Word Bearers]

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's a solid list, IMO. I question if the navigator will be really put to use though. If you want to keep him around because he's cool, then give him a familiar so he gets a 4++. Otherwise drop him and use those points to give your melta rhino squad more power weapons and maybe even melta bombs. AA on your sarges is also a good option.

Other than that, you could changing one of the duplicate tactical squads into something else. I like it though.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You know if i had infinite time and money i'd be real curious to go full on 'Pride of the Legion' and see what a mass Terminator list could do.

10 Cataphractii, with Volkites, power weapons and double Reapers/Plasma Blasters is 411 points.

30 of these guys marching up the field with 600+ points left over for extras (Anti-tank, HQ etc) would be hilarious.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hey 30k Goons, don't forget about the TG Secret Santa, signups for the main event close in less than a day! I know $30 USD doesn't buy a whole lot of sweet Forgeworld resin, but there's more to 30k than marines (there's terrain, bases, tokens and paraphernalia people can get you too :haw:)

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Re-doing mine, going with the Onslaught force org as suggested

HQ
Praetor,
Cataphractii armor, master-crafted photonic blade
-200pts

TROOPS
19x Marines, bolt pistol+CCW, meltabombs on sergeant
+ELITE Apothecarion
+FAST ATTACK Storm Eagle, multi melta+lascannons
-565pts

TROOPS
8x Support Squad Marines, plasma
+HEAVY SUPPORT Land Raider Proteus, twin linked heavy flamer, explorator augury web
-535pts

ELITE
Contemptor, 2x Kheres assault cannons
-205pts

ELITE
5x Terminators, Cataphractii armor, Illastius-pattern assault cannon
+HEAVY SUPPORT Caestus Assault Ram
-490pts

TOTAL 1995

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I think i might hold of on B@C until the spring/whenever book 6 comes out to see all my options.

In the meantime however I've heard the game that comes with it is actually suprisingly fun. There's loads of people on ebay selling just the board and bits for about £10.

Is it worth getting? I've ample 40k troops I can proxy for the actual models.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I think I've finally narrowed it down to something along these lines for my first 2000 pt run at Iron Warriors. I couldn't figure out a way to fit in a Destroyer Squad or a good configuration for Iron Havocs. I feel like if I don't have a 20-man Tactical Squad, it's not 30k, hah.

+++ New Roster (1995pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1995pts) ++

+ HQ (255pts) +

Legion Centurion (105pts) [Artificer Armour]
····Consul [Siege Breaker]

Legion Praetor (150pts) [Artificer Armour, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade]

+ Troops (890pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (285pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (310pts) [2x Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Outflank, Shrapnel Bolts]
····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Heavy Bolter, Shrapnel Bolts]
····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon]

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad (295pts) [Tyrant Siege Master, 4x Tyrant Terminator]

+ Elites (225pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (45pts) [Legion Apothecary]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

+ Heavy Support (625pts) +

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (310pts)
····Legion Medusa [Phosphex Shells, Shrapnel Bolts]
····Legion Medusa [Phosphex Shells, Shrapnel Bolts]

Legion Vindicator (130pts) [Laser Destroyer Array, Shrapnel Bolts]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [IV: Iron Warriors]

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

So I think i might hold of on B@C until the spring/whenever book 6 comes out to see all my options.

In the meantime however I've heard the game that comes with it is actually suprisingly fun. There's loads of people on ebay selling just the board and bits for about £10.

Is it worth getting? I've ample 40k troops I can proxy for the actual models.

Holding off until more Legions get fleshed out through subsequent HH books is my plan as well. I've waited a long rear end time so I can wait a bit longer.

As far as the actual game included in the box goes, there's actually a great video by GW linked in this thread a couple of pages back or so, and you know what? It looks like a lot of fun. Check that poo poo out and decide if it seems like something you and some friends would get a kick out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Holding off until more Legions get fleshed out through subsequent HH books is my plan as well. I've waited a long rear end time so I can wait a bit longer.

As far as the actual game included in the box goes, there's actually a great video by GW linked in this thread a couple of pages back or so, and you know what? It looks like a lot of fun. Check that poo poo out and decide if it seems like something you and some friends would get a kick out of.

What the hell, it was only £10, just ordered it.