Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Night Lords players, a friend of mine has used these across his army. They've got a hand on them already so they're ideal for the new plastics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Some of those toros are awful. :(

The bottom left one in particular looks like someone squashed a ball of putty with the end of a tool and then made the three lines with their finger nail. The scarab legs on the centre one are similar, the top right leg they haven't even aligned at the corner.

That is the most phoned in bullshit FW have ever produced :stare:

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that Damocles has just been dry fitted for the photo. In the first one the front plate has slipped down. It's in the right place in the others.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hixson posted:

Eh, those are pretty alright. I'm more excited about the special units, Magnus, and rules

I take offense to this

Also, thanks for the kind words the last page about my dudes :shobon:

I love Thousand Sons, and yours are legit as gently caress. I just think those torsos are garbage :sweatdrop:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SRM posted:

I beg to differ

I mean sculpt quality wise. The Thousand Sons torsos are chapter house level of bad. The Iron Warriors stuff is pretty bland but at least the trim and iconography doesn't look like it was made out of playdough.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Hirst Arts molds + SketchUp, to plan how to build the ZM board. You make your own tiles and assemble them; in this case I copied the official layouts and made a couple of extra ones since otherwise on a full board you'd have duplicates.

But I wasn't kidding about the anguish part. A single board piece (1x1') requires 144 individually casted tiles, not counting whatever else you need for the walls and decorations.
The minimum for a 500 pts game is 2x2', which is four board pieces or a whole 576 casted tiles, plus the mountains of extras for the walls.
The full 4x4' is 16 board pieces, or 2304 tiles :suicide:

Still, it's pretty easy to get going and comes out considerably cheaper and lighter than FW's if you don't mind not having the official board's aesthetics.
This guy is doing the same thing, but with a very different setup for the walls. IMO I like the chunkier ones but his results are fantastic.

Also kickass for Frostgrave.

Do you have the BOM for this? Like, X of tile Y etc? :v:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They call out grenade launchers and twin-linked grenade launchers specifically, so I don't think it being a grenade launcher with one shot flies.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
If I was thinking of starting up a Mechanicum force would I just need this? I picked up the first HH book at Games Day waaay back when it first dropped, before I finally gave up on GW - I'm assuming the base game rules in that are trash and out of date?

EDIT: I've just seen the part of the description saying it has all the Age of Darkness rules. Problem solved.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Nice, I'll grab that then. :getin:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ok so I have a plan for a starter 30k army using nothing but Betrayal at Calth tactical squad kits from eBay. By my account I can use six kits to make this:

[Tactical Squad]
1x Legion Sergeant
19x Legion Space Marine

[Tactical Squad]
1x Legion Sergeant
19x Legion Space Marine

[Tactical Support Squad]
1x Legion Sergeant
4x Legion Space Marine w/ plasma gun

[Tactical Support Squad]
1x Legion Sergeant
4x Legion Space Marine w/ melta gun or flamer

[Heavy Support Squad]
1x Legion Sergeant
4x Legion Space Marine w/ missile launcher

[Heavy Support Squad]
1x Legion Sergeant
4x Legion Space Marine w/ heavy bolter

Is any of that going to be entirely useless? I know the second support squad are bit meh with flamers or meltas but those are the weapons that come in the box.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

One thing to note: Heavy support squad sergeants also get heavy weapons. I know it doesn't say that in book I, but it got updated later.

I'll leave actual commentary to the 30k gurus, but I'd aim for two 20-man tactical squads and probably hold off on the support guys. The special weapon squads need transports to avoid getting shot off the table and you might be better off with a larger squad all with the same weapon. I have no idea about the heavy support squads. I've never been a big fan of stationary infantry.

Ok cool, I'll have six of each heavy and special weapon so I can arm Sgts too. I've already got a Deimos rhino, Sicaran and Xiphon so I can give the support squad a rhino if need be. Maybe I could pickup one of the resin special weapon packs I guess and go for a full ten man plasma squad

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

As a core for your army? Looks great. You can make a lot of lists with those models. Depending on your legion of choice you can run different types of things. Support squads want to be in rhinos, deep struck, out flanked, or drop podded in. Apothecaries and some HQs won't hurt either.

Yeah this is just a core to get things rolling really. I'm going to run Imperial Fists. I'm still figuring out what the HQs are, I think I'm going to go with a centurion or something to start with. The 1-3 apothecary unit is a good plan, but I'm wary of spending too many points on the troops blobs.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Stanyer89 posted:

Finishing up the Blood Angels Leviathan Dreadnought. Waiting for the base to get here still...

That'll make a hell of a dent

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Stanyer89 posted:

Good thing we ham at Hixson's house and not mine.

We haven't had any trash talking from your group in this thread for a while. I hope you're saving it up.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
My five calth tactical squads have been posted by the eBay seller. I'm on my way. :monocle:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

I am very likely extremely ignorant and talking out of my rear end while making poor decisions.

Welcome to wargaming, friend.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ah, I thought that book was replacing the LACL book, but it looks like it just updates it? I don't get it. Do you start from the new book and just refer back as needed? :(

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
So, tonight I've started to look at the plastic BAC tactical squads that I picked up. Looking at the instructions, it seems to indicate that torso back B13 can only go with front B11 and B12. Looking at the sprues, they look exactly the same as all the others. Am I missing something?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Galaspar posted:

The difference is very subtle - the segments of the chest hoses are a little bit larger than the others, and it follows on to that back piece. Not sure it was really worth making a different back for them, it's not like you see much of the rear hoses once the backpack is on.

Ahhh right, I guess that would be more obvious if I'd taken them off the sprue. That does seem like a lot of effort to go to for two torso designs. Thanks!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
OK so do I just need the two red books to get the complete army lists? I'm going in circles with this :argh: I've got Betrayal but I can't be dealing with £500 of other giant hardbacks.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Dumb:

Not bad:

Awesome:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
If you're looking for chain glaives for Night Lords, a friend of mine has outfitted all his sergeants with these.

If you're outside the UK the postage might be a bit of a downer on the idea though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ville Valo posted:

Are there any specific models that absolutely shouldn't be used for a 30K Ultramarines force? I'm trying to keep my new army dual-purpose, so I can play in as many local games as possible.

All my tac marines/vets are Betrayal at Calth + FW shoulders/helmets/torsos, all the terminators are BaC too. I've got Ven Dreads from 40K, though, and current Rhinos with FW panels/doors.

So long as I'm not trying to throw Calgar or something in there, should I be alright, fluff-wise?

Edit: color test from this weekend:

Anyone who gives you poo poo about the armour mks on your mans isn't worth playing. Dreads are dreads, marines are marines and rhinos are rhinos. As others have said avoid aircraft* that can't swap over and you'll be fine. Hopefully.

* I'd personally be fine with a Stormtalon standing in for a Xiphon but eh.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Oh, ignore me then. I misunderstood where you were coming from somewhere between reading and posting. :downs:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm using MKIV army wide because Betrayal at Calth tactical squads are cheap as dirt compared to anything from FW.

I painted up a very quick test marine tonight to test my yellow recipe and I'm not convinced.

There are three yellows on there, but they're faaar too similar. I need to head more towards brown on the base.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

krursk posted:

Your marine looks really nice to me. Are you using an airbrush? I was originally using brown to do my shading but it was too easy to mess up the tone. I switched to orange and it works well.

Lately I've been priming white and pre-shadowing the under areas with orange. I zenithal the mids with tamiya lemon yellow and then do a light white highlight on the most exposed bits: tops of shoulder pads; the helmets crest; top left corner of the breastplate; the top of the backpack; and the knees. Then I give it a spray with thinned flashgitz to bring it all together.

For the washes I was initially doing a pin wash with burnt umber oil paint and white spirits but I just wasn't 100% happy with the results. I've since moved to a few coats of wonder wash (all the brownish and yellowish washes mixed together with loads of thinner and flow assister), followed up with an undiluted 50/50 Druchii Violet & Carroburg Crimson line wash. I'm still experimenting but I like the current effect so far even though it takes a lot more time then a simple pin wash.

I'm not at home this week and I don't have any pictures of my current test models but this was an earlier experiment. I used a tamiya orange as the dark shade underneath followed by a flat yellow highlight with a thin sepia wash. I wasn't happy with it as it was too dark in general but the orange under the yellow gave it some reasonable shading without looking too brown and dull. I'll eventually fix the model up with some flashgitz highlights and finish it but that can wait until after I assembly-line paint the 120 marines and 12 tanks that are sitting primed on my work table.

That yellow is beautiful! Woah.

The scheme I tried tonight was:

Airbrush:
Prime grey Vallejo surface primer.
Base VMA yellow ochre (71.033)
Zenithal highlight of VMA Yellow RLM04 (71.078)
VMA Gloss varnish

Brush:
VGC Sepia Shade wash with some flow improver into the panel edges
Glaze consistency highlight of VMA medium yellow (71.002) on the upper edges of panels.
Chest eagle in VGA black with VMA black grey highlight just so I wasn't looking at a solid slab of yellow.

(An aside rant about the VMA paint naming scheme.Yellow is yellow and "medium yellow" is nuclear neon. Come on! :v:)

I think I need to either tone the base coat waaaay down to an orange as you say, or go for a full zenithal black/grey/white prime and put very thin mid-yellow over it. I worry that might end up way too bright though. I guess Mr Errant is going back in the biostip for some more experimentation tomorrow. That's a pretty full workbench you have. I've got ten Betrayal at Calth tactical squads sat here waiting to be assembled into a yellow tide and that is bad enough.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Seconding the red guns. Those chequered shoulder pads are awesome.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The rules update PDF clarified that dreads must immediately disembark. I think.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ahh cool. I need to get all that update stuff straight in my brain. :(

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've had those inserts in the last two vehicles I picked up at WW and they were still awful. :v:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

Does anyone have a saved copy of the leviathan PDF that was online before the new book came out? Don't want to have to spend £70 on a book for one model...

It's the first result on google last time I looked.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

That's the 40k version from what I can see!

Ah yeah, sorry :(

Best I can find is these shots from the weekender, but things may have changed since then.

http://allies-of-convenience.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/leviathan-dreadnought-rules.html

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

JackMack posted:

Dumb question, presumably this would work for deredeo ammo feeds as well?

Yes, anything resin.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I just saw a 1k pt 12 model 30k Mechanicum army completely destroy a 1k pt 40k Space Wolves army so completely that it was hard to watch.

Photon thrusters and the lorica thallax are some real poo poo.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Those are all absolutely incredible, the Deredeo and tanks especially get me going. I'd go for the iron warriors head in the dread.

Wow.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Does anyone bothing paying for the extra close combat weapon on tactical blobs? I'm running Imperial Fists so I don't really want them in combat anyway.

260pts for a 20man squad with a vexilla, the extra attack boosts them to a round 300. :effort:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

If they're going to see combat then it's worth it. If I take big blobs that are in the mid field I almost always give them the extra CC

I'm not really sure what to do with my tacticals in 30k so I guess they will see midfield and combat. :shrug:

I feel like if I'd never play 40k I'd adjust to 30k easier.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Recoome posted:

I am putting CCWs on my Tacticals because it suits the EC play style. Not every legion probably should do it though, like I'm not sure about Imperial Fists because they already have great bolter rules and maaaaybe you don't want to be in CC.

This is the thing, I do not want to be in combat at all but for 40pts a squad is the extra 20 attacks a deterrent? I need to play more games and work out how to use the army properly. I also need lots of artillery.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Recoome posted:

I think the deterrent should be eating a whole bunch of super-accurate bolter shots.

To continue this hypothetical, having an Imperial Fists tactical squad with CCWs isn't going to deter me from charging with my Emperor's Children, because I'm fairly confident that I would be able to gently caress up that squad in CC more often than not (and that's just vanilla EC rules, not considering the RoW where everyone gets Sonic Shriekers). The 40pts ends up being wasted in this scenario because your mans die before they get attacks off and a few of them are probably fighting at -1 WS.

Ok, cool. That makes sense, I was thinking about objectives and such and not allowing them to get tied up. I just need to throw more bodies on the field.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've borrowed book 3 from a friend, so I was working on the assumption that the latest fists rules are the ones on p266-273 in that. What changed in book 6? I'll have to grab that too. Trying to work out what the latest rules are for stuff in 30k is absolutely maddening. :argh:

My entire army is based off a big pile of BaC tactical kits right now. My model pool is:

2x 20 man tactical squads, all armed identically with bolters

1x 5 man heavy support squad w/ heavy bolters

1x 5 man heavy support squad w/ missile launchers

1x 5 man tactical support squad w/ magnetised wrists so they can take plasma/melta/flamer but I've only ever run plasmas.

1x deimos rhino for the tactical support squad

1x sicaran

1x xiphon

I've only played pure 30k against a small mechanicum force based around mostly thallax cohorts with some bigger robits in support, otherwise it's been against 40k marine forces. I've struggled to hold enough objectives in 40k because I've got two giant blobs instead of four tactical squads. Tank hunters on the heavy supports has been really, really good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That is a loving awesome mini, wowzer.