Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Safety Factor posted:

Since the slack channel is currently being swamped by an out of context Blood Bowl chat log, I figured I'd take my question here instead:

I have 60 MkIV marines and 40 of them are built as tacticals. The other 20 were going to be special weapons guys, but that was before Prospero released and they've been replaced by MkIII models. That leaves me with 20 MkIV marines with no real purpose as I never see myself running 60 basic tactical marines. I got to thinking instead of how to upgrade them to assault marines. Assuming I can source jump packs from somewhere, what do y'all think is the best way to get MkIV-style melee weapons and arms? Are there any good third-party bits that mimic the MkIV look? Alternatively, what the hell else should I do with these guys?

I might have just bit the bullet and gotten some weapon sets from FW, but they only come with 2 pistols and 2 chainswords and are 22 GBP. Yeah, there are tons of weapons in those things, but they don't make sense when you only need the arms and the basics. The chainswords are easy; the normal 40k ones look pretty much the same. It's the pistols and arms that are the issue.

For my MkIII assault marines, I cut the MkIII forearms and attached them to any plastic hands and upper arms I could find, mostly MkVII stuff. It looks good, although a few of the joins ended up being slightly double jointed.

I'd probably just use MkVII arms for MkIV guys, they're not that different to do the whole forearm swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Bawitdaba da
bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said
up jump the boogy

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Just one?!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Speaking of deathguard, I'm finally getting around to working on my mans again. Knocked this guy up on Sunday. He's about 90% done- everything is magnetized, pinned, filed, and washed:

I like him a lot more than I thought I would. Way more than the orky IW contemptor anyway. He's even pose able like a toy due to my pinning job. Just needs some armoured plates and maybe some work on the head area:

I originally wanted to give him super snippy claws, but I can't find where they came from:

What's with the awful casting on that dread?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Russ somehow has never been depicted to have a beard. I don't think anyone besides Khan has facial hair.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

If you have an older washing machine, you can get hot water directly from it by turning it to hot and holding a coffee cup under the tap.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

That Mk1 Terminator dread owns, but I think we'll be getting fourteen inch dreads in two years at this rate.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

For tank hunters, you have to reroll the whole roll, so you'd need to get another six.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Maybe Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives is checking out that psychic restaurant in Tizca?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Also look at the wording for the weapon upgrade. It says the Squadron (plural) may upgrade its Bolt Cannon (singular) for a flat price. Is it one upgrade per bike or per squadron? No idea.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

tallkidwithglasses posted:

It looks especially good when they're all mk7 imo

I use MkVII for my terminators, too. I use them with my Imperial Fists as an advanced, tester version of Tartaros armor complete with Storm Shields. It's fluffier that way.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

3 points is a combat shield, but I don't think any of your dudes can take one.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Hixson posted:

I still haven't gotten a clear answer on this: Can you snap fire template weapons? Asking for a friend

No, but if you're doing overwatch you get D3 hits for free.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Oh. Well, then let me bring you guys leaked photos of the next Alpha Legion signature unit:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Right now in the books the World Eaters are portrayed in a transitional scheme, about half way between the old and new. You can definitely use the red and brass scheme, and Khorne it up for a late Heresy/Siege of Terra force. The only issue with doing WE is sourcing a bunch of Chainaxes, you can get those plus pistol arms from Anvil Industries pretty cheaply if you don't play in a GW store.

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Wargaming-Chain-Axes

For arms (the plastic dudes largely only come with rifle arms):
http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Exo-Lords/Arms-and-Bionics

MkIII use medieval arms, MkIV use vanguard arms. I tend to like World Eaters in MkIV, as MkIII looks too defensive, but it's 100% up to you. WOM will eventually get here and post his dudes that use these arms.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

chutche2 posted:

Why do baneblades seem so overcosted?

It's 635 points to get a BS3 baneblade with sponsons, vs 540 for a BS4 fellblade with sponsons which has 3 more hull points. The gun is really good, but for 625 you get the Glaive which is going to kill way more poo poo.

They were priced a decade earlier, and there's a hell of a lot of point cost inertia.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Lord_Hambrose posted:

To be fair Space Wolves are pretty bad

Agreed. Now their rules on the other hand...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Ramshackle games has a ton of dark age robits.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

He looks like he's saying "I'm so tired of all these Horus Heresies..."

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I glued two Mk3 marine bolters togeter and put it on a storm bolter mount. My legion puts clip fed guns on vehicles because they are not very clever.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'm sure they're going to release their own ruleset, based on 7th, filled with typos and poorly answered faqs. They put too much effort into getting Inferno "right" to throw it away six months later.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'd just use the Tartaros power fists.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Dear thread. What house rule should we institute to address Panascope's constant blatant cheating?

Invite him over for a game, then call a company to have his car towed while he's distracted.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I feel bad complaining about 30k delays now, knowing that they were probably because the lead had cancer.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

TTerrible posted:

Flamer template: D3 hits
Small template: D6 hits
Large template: 2D6 hits

They'll keep the scatter die, but now the arrow means that the closest unit within 2d6+d12 inches of the target unit in that direction also suffers d8 hits.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Where'd you order a bunch of combi weapons from?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The email said it's a rotary missile launcher of some sort. I don't know why GW's into rotary weapons so much recently.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Just looking at the difference between those rules makes me so glad for 8th edition.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

What flavor? It's zany for zany's sake. It' s a rotary missile launcher, which means that it fires a ton of smaller rockets instead of one larger missile. Sure, that's cool. But why are there ammo selections? There's only one hopper per launcher, and there isn't any means of mechanically selecting which rockets it can fire, so where's the ammo coming from? It should only be loaded wwith one ammo type. And if they're smaller rockets, why are they so powerful? Why don't marine missile launchers get these turbo-vehicle-fucker missiles? If they're slightly too big for a marine, why not dreads and hunter killer missles? Why is it D3 rolls on the chart and not just 2D6, pick highest? Where's the elite tracking coming from for the anti-air missiles? Why do they all have different ranges? Is it really fun to spend 50 points on extra ammo to gently caress-harder low-save blobs or mechanicus dudes? Why even give the option to list tailor against Admech? If the Imperium has had weapons that can just turn off entire robot forces since before Unification, why is it only in this extremely underproduced tank?

It's a rotary missile launcher. It should just shoot a bunch of small missiles. I'd say the 8th edition special rule it has is more flavorful anyway, you can fire it normally or go full auto. I don't see why the HH version has remaining stationary be more important to it, it's a Sicaran class tank and is meant to be move and fire. It's not the Enterprise-D where it's choosing to give more power to the phasers or engines.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Those bases are killer dude.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Man what happened to Bjorn's torso? He needs to be put in a Dreadnought, stat.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Der Waffle Mous posted:

That's the guy in the Prospero box.

He needs Terminator armor too.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You can only take up to 100 of any particular unit.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Beerdeer posted:

Guilliman is almost done yet swordless. I throw myself on the mercy of the thread.

Give him a tyranid scything talon.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Up it to -d6 victory points.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Hustlin Floh posted:

The Horus Hersey project has been cancelled. Now we'll never know who wins :(

It turns out that the real Horus Heresy was the friends we made along the way.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Which bullshit FW unit is your favorite and why?

Tried to comment, but they are disabled. Can you please un-bubble-wrap commenting?

Please don't use bullshit made up terms. The comments are in defilade and you want Hixon to put you in an enfilade position.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Round, the spikes look too much like spring loaded GI Joe weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You only painted like 2600 points, Horus isn't a Son of Horus. QED.