Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
SquareLOS really is the best change in a minute and there have been some good QoL improvements in the last few versions.

ZeeToo posted:

new unrands...
But not the one that matters. :(

Bring back Crown of Eternal Torment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Pomale posted:

I'm still looking for a team so I'd like to join if you'll have me. Crawl name is dirtygrass.
Yea, Dee Ehm hasn't been on in three or so days it seems.

code:
Singularity Solidarity Society
1. Aethrus
2. Worldfamousw
3. UncommonGray
4. Mattybee
Reminder to Dee Ehm, ya' needs to update RC file and add dirtygrass (not now I guess?) and chukamok.

I also guess if they don't get on soonish, is there an Ogre team with a slot left?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Out of curiosity, if I were to change teams after I had already got some scoring done would it transfer to the new team?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Got Singularity Society a 15 Rune win with a fire hurling lich-bird.

code:
11957006 worldfamousw the Archmage (level 27, 199/199 HPs)
             Began as a Tengu Conjurer on Nov 6, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Nov 8, 2015!
Had alot more trouble with the end game on this run then I have in the past. I must have teleport from the battles with Asmodeus, Lom Lobon, and Cerebov at least 10 times each. Done with though.

Never did find a wand of healing either.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Just to be sure, the Prophet banner is solely invocations right? It doesn't work with Nemelex (or other gods based around a different skill) titles?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Chosen when you rolled the character, unless it has changed In recent versions.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Sage Grimm posted:

If you're spellblasting then you have your glass cannon Deep Elf Conjurer/[Fire/Ice/Earth Elementalist] of either Sif Muna (for more consistent MP channelling and a good spread of spellbooks) or Vehumet (MORE DESTRUCTION + 3 top tier level 9 spells).
If you are going blaster caster, I would actually recommend Tengu of Vehumet over Deep Elf. +3 Conjurations gets one of the big boy spells going fairly early. Also, Flight at lvl 5 (permanent at 14) with the bonus (+20% evasion and .1 movement reduction) makes early game escapes a lot easier.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I use the wiki all the time to check out race and god info and to compare weapon stats since my memory is poo poo and I can not ever remember those numbers. Also the spell list page is very useful for planning ahead.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Got another 15 Rune bird win for Singularity Solidarity Society. That also will make the fourth Tengu win I have. I rather like them birdmen.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

The Mattybee posted:

Yo Singularity Solidarity Society, step up your game
I done got up two 15 runers. That is the best yall can hope from me. Will not get another probably cause i am going to keep trying for Brute Force 3

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Matty posted:

I'm playing offline, should i keep playing 0.16 or try 0.17? 0.17 is basically a few nerfs and minor changes right?

Switch. Square LOS is worth the change alone.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

ZeeToo posted:

These are all excellent. Is there any plan on reducing troll hunger now as well or is that sticking around because 'reasons'? I always thought it was connected to their regen (and I guess lore).

Also swamp just got a whole lot less tedious.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

odiv posted:

It looks like someone is logging on to underused servers with others' usernames and breaking their streaks?

That's pretty stupid.

The same thing happened about half a year or so ago. Good thing i can not get a streak to save my life so I don't have to worry about that!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I came in at 156 so top tenth precent. I an pleased with that. Also held the top score on TeCJ and TeFi with my two 15 rune win on them. Also got Brute Force 2 (could never get 3). Overall, my best showing in a tournament yet. Singularity Solidarity Society did not do to bad with 50 something place seeing as we only had three active players.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 25, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

PleasingFungus posted:

important note about zigfigs: they're the only way to enter zigs, now. found only on tomb:3 and zig:27. no more pan zigs.

this one was being talked about for some time. nice to see it go in!
Wait, just to confirm, there is NOT one guaranteed anymore in Depths? I am looking at the commits and I don't see that. Just making sure I am clear on this is all.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Glad to see an updated Pakellas. Hope they can make it to trunk this time. I am liking the changes from the .16 version though once again all I am really doing is abusing the ever loving poo poo out of Quick Charge. Only got the Barnacled and the Gossamer rune so far and:
code:
Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Invok: Quick Charge      |       |       |       |     5 |     3 |     6 |     6 ||    20
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |     5 |    33 |    27 |    69 |    40 ||   174
       Rod               |       |       |       |     3 |   109 |   207 |   167 ||   486
EDIT: Also really like the new Merfolk (and the one Naga Mage guarding Depths entrance) tiles I seen.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 26, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Major bug:
code:
 You reflect Mara with the mirror, and the mirror shatters!
 You set the figurine down, and a mystic portal to a ziggurat forms.
Using a Phantom Mirror apparntly counts as a ZigFig. It also used my full stack of them (two at the time). Playing on Pakellas experimental on CBro

Prism posted:

What changed about Pakellas?
Magic is no longer forbidden. You don't have three rank of Device Surge skills, just one that scales with piety/evocation. Two new abilities: Drain Magic (singular and turns into mass) and Sap Magic.
Drain Magic works like the VS bite but will cause contamination if you are full on MP already.
Sap Magic hits them with a debuff that does an Anti-Magic hit and drain MP every time they cast. Also causes contamination at full MP.

I've yet to really use the Drain Magic or Sap Magic so I can't judge them to well yet. It also seems like Rod reward has been upped as Pakellas has done given me about 4 or them and I am only cleared Lair branches, Orcish Mines, and Elf. Really digging 'em again, hope they make it to Trunk.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure if this is a change but I think it is but they forbid the use of Mana Channeling evocs now to. They still allow Potions of Mana (and maybe Ambrosia) which should probably be forbidden for balance reasons.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 26, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Floodkiller posted:

Edit: Also banishment now sends you deeper based on the HD of the banishing creature. (I changed the links to diffs just for you, Brannock).

code:
+    // Ancient Liches are sending you to A:5 and there's nothing
+    // you can do about that.
:gonk: I ain't ever fighting an Ancient Lich without full Magic Resistance again.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Always take the Mystery Box
code:
_The portal accepts the item and buzzes to life!
 The world spins around you as you enter the gateway.
_Welcome back to a treasure trove!
 Found a gate leading back out of this place.
 There is an empty arch of ancient stone here.
_You open the gate.
_Found six items.
 Found a papyrus manual and 2 scrolls of identify.
_There is an open gate here.
_W - Sif Muna's Catalogue of Displaced Talismans
_U - a scroll of blinking
_T - a scroll of teleportation
 You see here a papyrus manual.
_S - a manual of Throwing
_Found 2 scrolls of recharging.
_Found a graven book.
_Found a scroll of blinking and a yellowed book.
_R - a scroll of recharging
_U - 2 scrolls of blinking (gained 1)
_Q - Sif Muna's Reference Book on Twisted Enhancements
 You see here a dog-eared paperback manual.
_P - a manual of Long Blades
 You see here a papyrus manual.
_M - a manual of Short Blades
_K - Sif Muna's Almanac of Enhancements
_Found a scroll of teleportation.
_Found a scroll of vulnerability and a metal-bound manual.
_J - 2 scrolls of identify
 You see here a hardcover manual.
_D - a manual of Charms
 You see here a metal-bound manual.
_C - a manual of Fighting
_R - 2 scrolls of recharging (gained 1)
_T - 2 scrolls of teleportation (gained 1)
_There is an open gate here.
_There is a gate leading back out of this place here.
_Welcome back to the Dungeon! x2
_There is a collapsed entrance here.
Yea, I think a manual of Charms, Fighting, Long Blade, and Throwing were worth a spare +6 Demon Blade.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Ignition is a great rod. Iron and lightening are my favorite direct damage though. Destruction and Cloud are nice but unreliable. Shadow is stupidly powerfull. Swarm is the first I toss when my inventory gets full cause it is trash.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Haifisch posted:

Clouds is great, you just need medium-high levels of evo to make it reliable. I'm talking at least 14-ish evo to consistantly get freezing/fire/negative energy clouds, and even higher if you want acid clouds.
Oh, I agree the clouds are awesome. By unreliable I mean the RNG is going to give the one cloud that what I'm fighting will resist. Same reason why I say Rod of Destruction is unreliable.

I guess I also forget to mention Rods of Inaccuracy, which are great to wander around with in hand and blast sleeping enemies with.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Someone Awful! posted:

God centered around evokable/wand use, experimental branch on CBRO. Written by Grunt, I think?

Worshipping Pakellas stops natural mana regen, and conduct forbids using channeling to restore mana (CBOE, Staff of Energy/Wucad Mu, others?) though potions of magic and ambrosia are fine. You regain mana by killing enemies or using Pakellas' active abilities.

At 1*, Pakellas gives you an ability to empty your mana pool in order to recharge a wand or rod; the amount of charges scales witn (iirc) piety, the size of your mana pool/how full it is, and evoc skill? Maybe? Mana isn't hard to come by so I think you can imagine how good of an ability this alone is. You can use it to recharge your combat rods to keep nuking things, or to keep your HW wand going for days. Or, you know, whatever!

Other Pakellas stuff includes mana drain (starting with one target, then expanding to multiple at (i believe) 4*?) which does what it says on the tin, but contams you based on mana drained vs mana you can hold, I think. You can get contammed really bad if you use it at full mana around a bunch of casters, so be careful, but it's pretty good if you don't do that. You can also put a "mana sap" on an enemy but I never did that so I don't know wtf it does.

At 6* Pak will supercharge a rod, putting it at +10 and giving it a bunch more charge space and just generally making it better. (He can also do... something? to a wand if you for some reason are a Felid worshipping Pakellas.)

Pak starts gifting evokers/rods/wands at 4*. Which owns.

I'd recommend wearing Faith with him if you're using the actives heavily, they can be pretty piety-hungry. I never found it on my DD though and I was recharging my /HW all the dang time so maybe it's not as necessary as I'm making it sound. Overall I think he's a fun and different god, though I have to wonder why Nemelex needs to exist when Pak does the evoker-god theme so much less, uh... clunkily. I guess we'll see.

The Drain Magic and Sap are removed now and Quick Charge now only uses 2/3 of your mana available to make it a little less OP. Also Device Surge is awesome. At 27 evoc, I one shot a Pan Lord with a Iron Rod using the surge ability.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 29, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
God, those amulet changes are awful.

Haifisch posted:

I'm looking at you, V5. Pretty much every nerf is skirting around the fact that doing anything but staying in Scroll of Immolating the initial ambush is the best way to go.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Someone Awful! posted:

There is literally no situation where I'm going to wear an otherwise good artefact that has any of those traits on them.
I agree with ya' on the *Confuse or *Corrode but *Drain is normally not a concern unless it is on something like an amulet which I will be changing often. Not that that is going to be an issue anymore...

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
On a different note, a good change:

quote:

Allow ghouls to autoeat when rotted.

If a player uses auto_eat, they probably want to do so in a reasonable situation even if not provably optimal. Ghouls missing HP would be such a situation. A possible improvement/complication would be allowing the rcfile option to specify how rotted but that is probably not needed

EDIT: One poster made the claim that *drain is anything other then on unequip (and I guess one asking for a clarification). All of the other posters have been complaining in a 'Either the gear is good enough to keep on forever or I don't wear it' and seem to know how it works.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 30, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Having a weird bug on Pakellas experimental. When I hit 5 to rest it is waiting far more turns then it should:
code:
Time: 127917.2 (2795.0)
Here is current dump, my Macro and RC File

Edit: Tried clearing the 5 to c5 off the macro, but didn't fix it.

Edit edit: Seems to be working fine again, so problem resolved self.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 1, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

the littlest prince posted:

Why did ] get removed? It disappeared one day a long time ago and I miss it.

It used to show a list of your equipped items.
It is '['. Just tested in trunk and it's working fine or was there another that showed beyond your armour that I don't remember.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
God damnit.
code:
     1078422 worldfamousw the Pioneer (level 27, 0/172 HPs)
             Began as a Kobold Fighter on Nov 26, 2015.
             Was an Elder of Pakellas.
             Killed from afar by a lich (59 damage)
             ... with a bolt of acid
             ... on level 1 of the Tomb of the Ancients on Dec 1, 2015.
             The game lasted 17:38:38 (149401 turns).
That death feels so stupid. Even netted the Lich. This was after gathering all the 5 early game runes and all 5 pan runes.

Oh well, will do a write up on the new Pakellas later today. They do feel strong enough to be an endgame god, which pleases me.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Zaodai posted:

Candy Necklace, runs the risk of you eating it automatically if your hunger dips below a certain point. :v:
I unironically would love a Candy Necklace artifact with a whole lot of awesome modifiers that you consume if you dip to Near Starving or whatever.

FR: Make Candy Necklace a reality.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Can Of Worms posted:

:siren:Pakellas has landed in trunk!:siren: Expect the changes to appear in a few hours.
I am so happy about this. I love this god design.

the Orb of Zot posted:

DD of Pakellas stuff.
This is all good advice, but I disagree with some of it. Take into consideration I ran a Kobold instead of dwarf, but I did take 'em into extended somewhat (got all the Pan Runes before dying like a chump to a Lich in Tomb).

• I say use Super Charge on a Rod of Iron (you did say on a DD though). Rod of Iron is the best tool that a Pakellas worshiper can have. Surged Rod of Iron will one hit or two hit most anything that has less then three pips of AC. Getting three blasts before it has to recharge almost guarantees victory.
  • Use Quick Charge as soon as your mana is full. Even if it is halfway filling up a Wand of Digging or whatever. Piety and Mana gain late game is fast and heavy.
  • Device Surging a Disc of Storms while having rElec is loving hilarious.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 3, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
The Rod gift from Pakelass is still 4*, right? I hit 5* and yet to recieve one. I have used the ctrl-f function to look for a rod but it doesn't see one. Current dump from trunk on cBro.

I've got to stop bringing my bugs here and start using the mantis tracking thing.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

megane posted:

v Lichform would be okay if it were free, but it's a level 8 two-school spell. For the same cost you could get LCS and even that would be a waste of EXP outside of extended.
Yea, but one of those schools is Necromancy, which also have Revivification and Death's Door at 8, both of which are powerful tools. I agree that Necromutation outside of a primary blaster caster is questionable at best but as one is a great investment. You don't even have to worry that hard on the Transmutation side with enough Int.

:shrug: All of my easiest 15 runers have been as Lichbirds dropping nukes.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm a MiBe in the endgame and I've got evocations to 27 (because I don't know what else to train)... what's even worth using in the endgame assuming I don't want to touch cards because of the randomness.
Rods of Iron at that Evoc level can tend to one or two shot anything with less then ** AC. Rod of Shadows will give you Gold Dragons or multiple Giants. Rods of Clouds and Destruction are also very vicious but are random so there's that. A Disc of Storm can clear rooms of enemies lacking rElec (this includes you if you lack the rElec). Rods of Inaccuracy will devastate anything with no EV (this includes Curse Skulls).

Apparently Sack of Spiders gets insane with that high of Evoc but I've never used it.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 6, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Dee Ehm posted:

Operation 'Lizard with a Sniper Rifle' is go. :getin:

quote:

Kobolds are small, greyish creatures with the looks and temperaments of feral
dogs
. No one knows for sure where kobolds come from, but ancient demon-gods,
evil spirits, and meddling wizards have all been suggested as culprits.
:colbert:

Also, I like this new mutation.
code:
Your movements are slightly less encumbered by armour (ER -2)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Hey, everyone talking about new and exciting powers for Hexes or Translocation or whatnot, I would like to remind ya' that Poison still caps at Spell Level 6 and is still the true worthless skill to put points in.

Prism posted:

So this flat-out makes armour less encumbering, so it's easier to wear heavier armour than your strength would allow if you'd like, or cast in leather like you were in robes? (Though I guess leather has ER 4 so you'd need another rank of it, first.)

I like it. Is it Ds only or can you get it off potions too?
I got it on a Kobold (who died to a Centaur Warrior) in Trunk from a regular potion of mutation, so eat them purples!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
The biggest problem with Poison is there is no point in putting more then 8-10 levels in it, because even then Poison Arrow is Poison/Conjuration and Conjuration is the obvious one you should focus on. Poison is an exp trap.

I say this as someone who likes poison too. I enjoy using OTR to do an early Orc run. I just think it needs something late game to convince me that after 6 or so levels I shouldn't turn it off.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Still think Poison should get a Spell lvl 7 or 8 form of Virulence. While it won't guarantee that I will stick it out with Poison it actually makes it a possibility.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Is there an easy way to auto inscribe an item if you took it off of an Unique or am I going to have to go through and just do
code:
autoinscribe += <name of unique>:<name of unique>
for all of the ones I would care about?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Darox posted:

#2 Don't get hung up on "caster races" and only pick elves. Anything with -1 apt or better in the relevant skills and okay int can be a good blaster. Demonspawn, Octopodes, Gargoyles etc can all do well as casters, and can be easier than a deep elf. A special shoutout to Naga, who are really great casters with their poison spit in early game and high hp & ac later on.
Tengu. Always Tengu. +3 Conjuration Apt and flight giving a .1 speed and 20% extra evasion boost makes them my favorite blaster caster. Also Conjurer is unsurprisingly my favorite Conjurer start. Why worry about something resisting your spells.

Everything else I completely agree with though. If you ain't got Conj/choosen element up to 16 or so by the end of Lair ya' doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: on a very distantly related note, I may have discovered the one time Faith is a no-brainer: on a Pakellas worshiper. You can waste and quickcharge wands like a crazy fucker and Pakellas just sits at ****** pelting you with wands and rods while screaming "EXCELLENT MORE VIOLENCE MORE EVOCATIONS YES OF COURSE I'LL CHARGE YOUR THREE HEAL WOUNDS WANDS GOOD WORK MY MINION"
My current TeGl is worshiping Pakellas and found an Amulet of Faith on Dungeon Lvl 9. I've yet to take it off and have been recharging any old wand as soon as my mana refills and Surging like a mad man. I've yet to dip past ******. It truly is great.

• Locked thread