Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Maybe this will be the thread where felids get capes and hats.

lol, no chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Man, D10 as an ogre, and I've gotten Firestarter, a robe of temperature

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17-b1-25-g6d8775f (webtiles) character file.

MrDespairSA the Bludgeoner (Ogre Berserker)         Turns: 8670, Time: 00:20:31

Health: 82/119     AC:  9    Str: 24    XL:     11   Next: 44%
Magic:  11/11      EV: 11    Int: 10    God:    Trog [*****.]
Gold:   336        SH:  0    Dex: 15    Spells: 0 memorised, 10 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis .     I - +7 great mace "Firestarter" {inner flame, rF++}
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     H - +2 robe {rC+ rF+}
rNeg   . . .     SustAt   .     (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  .         Gourm    .     (helmet restricted)
rElec  .         Spirit   .     f - +0 cloak
rCorr  .         Warding  .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (boots unavailable)
MR     +....                    (no amulet)
Stlth  +.........               P - +3 ring of dexterity
                                E - ring of Divine Intervention {rF+ AC+3 Int+4}

@: exhausted, slowed, very slow, somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments,
very unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, tough skin 1
a: Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Burn Spellbooks, Renounce Religion

You are on level 10 of the Dungeon.
You worship Trog.
Trog is extremely pleased with you.
You are hungry.
Man, why'd the floorgods (and trog) have to give me all this the day before the tourney.

e. cast into the abyss on orc:4 and couldn't find an exit before getting cornered with no tele.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 6, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

time to start leaving ogre ghosts all on everyone's d:4!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

w - the ring of Wurchag (right hand) {rElec rPois EV+2 Str+3 Int-5, THE RING OF
OGREING}!

That's a good find for an ogre (along with PDA on d7 and a bunch of + ac muts from Xom)

hail xom

e. xom just gave me a buddy hand axe minion for a bit, and it just solo'd Urug. This hand axe is a loving beat :stare:

e2. wasn't joking about how much xom is helping with my defense right now

code:
You have large cloven feet.
You are partially covered in molten scales (AC +1).
You are partially covered in rough black scales (AC +4, Dex -1).
You are partially covered in yellow scales (AC +2).
You are resistant to electric shocks.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 6, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

why do you love me so much, xom

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

52 dead ogres and counting

Also I currently hold the high score for OgAr with 2 points, and managed to die with a score of 1... on D:2. All in all, a perfect tourney so far.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 7, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

My last ogre found the mask of the dragon AND GDA in the same shop on orc4.

Thankfully Xom had given me 1500 gold a little bit earlier. Wonder how the hell this guy is dieing (I'm guessing death cobb)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Xom is the best god. Gave up on him for zin to do the postgame, and his wrath so far has mostly consisted of giving me gifts still. :allears:

code:
MrDespairSA the Slayer (Ogre Chaos Knight)         Turns: 68126, Time: 04:04:32
Health: 343/343    AC: 45    Str: 25    XL:     27
Magic:  35/35      EV: 18    Int: 12    God:    Zin [******]
Gold:   2155       SH:  3    Dex: 14    Spells: 3 memorised, 17 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     a - +9 giant spiked club (venom)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     H - +4 gold dragon armour of Lac Kirch {+Blink +
rNeg   + . .     SustAt   .     (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     R - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR+ Slay+3 SInv}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     y - +2 cloak
rCorr  .         Warding  +     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (boots unavailable)
MR     +++++                    P - brooch of Shielding {Ward rN+ AC+4 EV+4}
Stlth  ..........               Z - +5 ring of protection
                                X - ring of Ashenzari's Favour {rElec EV+5}

@: almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, horns 1, large bone plates 2, rough black scales 1, fire
resistance 2, magic resistance 1, poison resistance, robust 1, screaming 1, spit
poison 1, tough skin 1, wild magic 2
a: Spit Poison, Recite, Vitalisation, Imprison, Sanctuary, Donate Gold, Cure All
Mutations, Renounce Religion, Evoke Blink, Evoke Flight
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer
If I can't 15 rune with this ogre, well, I just dunno.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

code:
You finish reciting Ablutions 26:30!
 You feel short of breath! Cerebov falls into the lava!!!
 Cerebov drowns!
Guess he just couldn't handle the truth.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I Ogrecame.

code:
Goodbye, MrDespairSA.

12869980 MrDespairSA the Bringer of Law (level 27, 355/355 HPs)
             Began as an Ogre Chaos Knight on Nov 7, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Zin.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Nov 8, 2015!

The game lasted 07:38:28 (125463 turns).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

You betrayed Xom. You're drenched with sin :colbert:

I'll try and win at least one game straight up with Xom, but I had good enough loot that I didn't want to risk him loving up a pretty surefire 15 rune win. He'll understand.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

Anything of Xom, just enjoy the ride.

OgCks are the best and I'm tempted to just play nothing but the rest of the tourney.

so good

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah chaos knights are actually really fun and Xom isn't as cruel as he used to be. Things will be silly and weird but you probably won't die just because Xom felt like it, at least once you get past the point in the game where he can screw you by getting bored and summoning a hellion.

EDIT: I just realized jellies not eating seen items means ranged characters can actually shoot them now.

You know, until you don't have any blink scrolls because Xom was making sure you were swimming in acquirement and various dragon armors to keep you feeling relaxed, and then bam! Step onto shoal4 and he teleports you as far away from any stairs as possible.

Still better than the fact that I haven't seen anything besides spider and shoal this tourney, ugh.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Man, after 112 dead ogres (and one survivor) I'm starting to get tired of having no defenses at the start. Ogres, argh.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

So, I've got an OgIE of Mahkleb that I was originally planning on being mostly meelee with some ice spells to buff up the defense... but I've found an early ring of wizardry and magic power, and there's the elemental staff in a shop. How crazy would it be to keep maces around 12, use the vampiric whip i have handy for a while while training shields and evo up, and just using the elemental staff + spells for damage down the road instead of working on a GSC?

e. I mean, even without dealing with the staff vamp whip + amulet of regen + mahkleb + shield could make things easy for a while

e2. + troll hide armour!

e3. On third thought, GSCs are just too drat good.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 13, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Man, I think I'm done with ogres. 1/132 is just too much for me. Hopefully that's enough to show that I Ogrecame for this tournament

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Would have had an easy sub 2 hour win, but guess who got marked and then didn't remember to take off his -tele ring on zot5....

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Got a VsFi of Qaz going, and found the Moon Troll armour and gloves of Regen. Who needs healing potions or wands when you're healing for 2hp every turn.

e. And an amulet of Vitality. Don't think Regen+++++++ instead of Regen++++++ is worth giving up the amulet of four winds though.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 15, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

The return of SquareLOS is taking me some getting used to, I tell you what. I almost got dunked on in Vaults:5 because I carelessly wandered within diagonal viewdistance of some nasty poo poo that I knew was there, and it woke up everything nearby. Darkness is such a good spell; I gotta make more use of Hexes.

In other news I'm crazy busy and still bad at this game, but I have a reasonably good ogre with 4 runes and I'm going to try to chalk up an Ogrecome before the tournament ends. I have no god drat clue how I'm gonna gank the ORB without getting clowned by OoFs and also clowns, but gently caress it, gotta try.

I would suggest beating everything into a pulp with your gsc first. Tends to help!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

code:
 Lua error running hook 'post_place' on map 'shoals_end_hangedman': /crawl-master/crawl-0.17/data/dat/dlua/dungeon.lua:583: Failed to place map 'shoals_ilsuiw_ice'
ok then crawl.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

I thought steam dragon's breath attack was non-elemental?

Well, it's steam based.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

the developer responsible for adding octopode crushers has wanted to remove them for some time. his main argument is that their key unique trait, the player-repositioning tentacle toss, is (a) very complicated and (b) rarely accomplishes that much in practice. iirc. E: iron giants still do this so: ???

(he's the same guy who added & removed jump attack.)

I'm going to ask around and try to figure out what's actually going on here.

technically, they removed the only kind of octopode that spawns outside gimmick entry vaults.

For the record I'm still incredibly angry that jump got removed. poo poo was dope.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

man fuuuck spark wasps

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I got the high score for OgCk. :feelsgood:

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm having some real power problems with my GrEE. I've cleared Lair and gone down to D:15, but the strongest attack spells I have are Stone Arrow and LRD. The few books I've found have had nothing useful. I can't dive Orc:4 and hope for a book shop because Saint Roka is guarding basically all 3 down stairs, and Elf:1 is still too scary given my gear. I've already been Abyssed once, but found a very lucky exit right away. I'm giving Swamp a go for now, but it's slow with Stone Arrow. I can memorize Ignite Poison, though. Is that still a good spell to use for Snake? I haven't tried that in a very long time. Any tips on skilling or where to go?

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Fhqwhgads/Fhqwhgads.txt

I would learn petrify, and then start using LRD as it was meant to be used. It works great when suddenly _everything_ is a wall.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

Will that work on Roka? Because I really need a book store and Orc:4 is my only shot so far of that.

If your spell power is high enough I don't see why not, although LRD+petrify is probably enough to carry you through elf and most of vaults if you need books too.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Amulet of air is great, and almost certainly worth theInacc hit. I use it every time I get it, that's for sure.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I like how the commit says warding was the least interesting amulet. Rather than gourmand, which gives the exciting effect of EAT MORE FOOD.

Just use tactics lol *spawns 5 cacodemons*

Gourmand is great now that autoeat is in by default. Never worry about hunger costs again!

Everything else about these changes is awful though. But hey, good way to force people to read id everything, and never play without investing in throwing or casting because just being a melee character means you sure don't know tactics.

Crawl 0.18: just learn tactics, noobs

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The Mattybee posted:

No, based on most of his previous changes he loving HATES melee.

Things Lasty loving loves: monsters who do ridiculous melee damage, monsters inflicting hunger damage, corrosion. Idk what tactics a melee guy is supposed to use again malmutators without rMut.

Well, based on chat in IRC you should just learn to always train throwing, or just walk up the nearest stairs and wait.

And if you don't want to invest in throwing (or rods I guess), well, get hosed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

odiv posted:

Whenever I try to go against Shining Eyes without rMut I end up hopelessly mutated. Did those get toned down too? Or do you hope you just get enough cMut?

lol

Someone Awful! posted:

in fairness why wouldn't you invest in throwing or evo, how much else do you have to put xp into as a straight melee?

That is clearly more xp that can be going into armour and dodging (throwing is really good, I agree it's already pretty dumb not to invest in it, but making it even dumber to not be able to go ranged is also pretty dumb compared to say, making rmut less effective).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

have tons of cancellation potions or you get hosed.

it's called Tactics.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

If I don't find rMut I don't play past three runes. And Zot is nasty enough with orbs of fire in general let alone them mutating you like it's going out of style.

Like you said, it sounds like a problem with malmutate more than the bloody amulet. If you ditch the amulet why not add what Floodkiller was saying with magic resistance actually helping to block that poo poo (like it always should have) or that they are all temporary like wretched stars?

Because that's far more work than just telling players to play a drat wizard if they want to do more than 3 runes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I have a feeling the "nerf ammo to the point that ranged weapons can't be used as your primary attack" change proposed there is going to annoy a lot of people too.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Prism posted:

I would add Qazlal to that if you are high-Invo, simply because his attack abilities are so good at that point. (And maybe Pakellas now if you go all in on rods/wands.)

Eh, I'm using a fair amount of disaster area and upheaval in my current game and I'm never dropping below 6*, even without faith. Unless you're using Upheaval as your primary mode of attack it's just not needed.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I don't know if this is a new vault or not, but it's the first time I'm seeing it. The exploding sheep Xom vault is hilariously terrifying :v:

one of the best vaults

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

megane posted:

The worst (read: most amusing) thing Xom's ever done to me was giving my +9 longbow of velocity to some stupid draconian in the middle of a huge pack supported by an OoF, forcing me to retreat without it.

So I went and got another longbow, came back to recover mine... and he did it again. :negative:

The best xom thing is either when he revives you after death so he can watch you die again, or when you bail on him to zin with a ton of great muts and his entire penance is spent with him gifting you poo poo still. He's just a nice guy deep down.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

FireSight posted:

I save potions of might for fighting player ghosts or particularly tough uniques. I don't think I use potions of agility at all, except when quaff-IDing.

Agility is great, you should use it!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Humans Among Us posted:

I always feel like doing Spider with Zin is a complete clusterfuck. Like, he used to give sustenance and rPois but even with that it would be super annoying having to use that ability so much and tanking piety. Plus it was just to stay alive. I don't think you can recite at spiders... can you?

Like Zin is great early on but when you get Swamp and especially Spider, it's borderline useless. Am i missing something maybe?

Could always swap to tso or ely for those sections if you wanted a (slightly) easier time. Might not help a ton, but it is an option.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

So, by d4 I managed to wear-id an amulet of inaccuracy, a randart chainmail with -5 int, and a -6 ring of intelligence, all cursed. After trying to read the 3 scrolls I had (the last of which took 37 attempts to read, and wasn't remove curse anyways), I tried to press on and survive anyways.

This lead to me quaff-iding mutation, and getting -2 int and blurry vision to top things off. Thankfully I died after that.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue//MrDespairSA/morgue-MrDespairSA-20151215-022932.txt

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

beevault is by far the best runevault in the game.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Has the clarity mutation always blocked trog's bezerking ability, or is that new?

Also man it kinda sucks in an annoying way either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I just entered a volcano and had an alarm trap spawn in the one-tile-wide chokepoint between the entrance and the rest of the level. Is that possibility intended?

I think it is.

• Locked thread