Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaodai posted:

The "Whats new in .17?" section really comes across as "Prepare your anus!". I take it there isn't a new race or class this time, it's all just new ways to crush you plus square LOS?

Yep. Its just square LOS, removal of stuff for no reason, and a bunch of pain. Also some more under the hood changes. Did that webtiles fix end up in this version?

EDIT: Though the death of shadow traps should please a lot of people so you take what you can get.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd argue that the removal of controlled teleport actually makes the game easier, if you are mindful of your items. Blinking scrolls can almost always save your life if you use them properly. Now you can use them literally anywhere. Many extended areas had -Ctele so escaping from death was much harder, but now you can just use a blink scroll. Also the controlled blink spell is even better of course, but translocations as a whole got nerfed since they KILLED SINGULARITY :mad:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its a code you can put into the ASCII online version of Crawl to watch clips, usually someone dieing horribly. I have no idea how they work and have never been able to figure them out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why do I get this error message anytime I start up 0.17 and how do I fix it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So the first Nemlex choice is MuWr.

Yeah no.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what's the deal with faded alatars? I started a demonspawn wanderer intending to go faded for MAXIMUM RANDOM but couldn't find one anywhere. Explored every floor up to D:11 without seeing one so I just ended up going Chei.

Janissary Hop posted:

When I open up my .17 RC file it's totally blank with nothing in it. I put in team details anyway and I"m not showing up. Did they screw up rc files again like some previous tournament?

They definitely screwed up the default rc file for some people. Mine was giving me a bunch of error messages on start and also had a bunch of items showing up with plain white text instead of colour.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Found the worst change; cyclopses, stone giants, and titans no longer have crossed arms in webtiles. :colbert:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"So what'd you do this friday night?"
"Oh I spent the whole thing alone in my room playing Crawl."
"Oh."

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20151107-065838.txt

Just wanted to get this done tonight since I had such a good thing going. I got tons of good loot and a bunch of demonspawn mutations that I like. Death regen and nightstalker? Hell yes. Played like an idiot and still got away with it. Saw some of the new extended vaults which were cool, though as I expected cocytus is real drat annoying without flight now. Flight potions last a pathetically short amount of time. I had to chug 4 of them just to reach the rune vault. Really feel like cocytus needs to be redesigned so it doesn't require flight now.

Now too decide what combo I'll break my streak with tomorrow :shepface:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did someone screw up the artifact generation code? Seems like everyone is getting way better gear this version than in the last one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Haha a wand of heal wounds, no way am I gonna die now! :v:

quote:

The cyclops throws a large rock. The large rock hits you!!!
The cyclops throws a large rock. The large rock hits you!!!
You die...

Unless I forget to use it! Hahahahahaha gently caress :suicide:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Here's how you handle tormentors;

-Kill them with a ranged attack before they can do anything
-Use LOS blocks to get into melee range
-Have one of the sources of torment resist and a bulky enough character that you just do not give a gently caress

Only the first option is reliable. There are too many layouts in Hell that force you to fight in open areas that you can't rely solely on LOS blocking. Torment resistance beyond three pips of rN+ is exclusive to certain gods and statue form. Ranged attacks are something you could easily be using if you had invested exp into it though. If you plan on going extended, you really should ask yourself "how am I going to deal with hellfire/torment spammers from across the room". If you don't have a good answer to that, you're gonna be miserable. Its possible to win without that stuff but its really hard and requires really careful play and is really, really not worth the effort.

Just win, especially if you haven't won before.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

D - the +0 helmet of the Lion (worn) {+Inv rElec rF+++ MR-}.

Yeah okay sure Crawl. Why not.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Brannock posted:

That MR- probably hurts more than the rF+++ helps.

I'll take having to put on another piece of MR+ gear in the lategame for having all the fire resist I'll ever need on one piece of gear.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

kaschei posted:

Why don't you just wear FDA then

Becase it gives -rc/takes the body slot/can't be use with ozo's armour/look there's plenty of reasons, just pick one that's applicable to your character. There are plenty of times where I do wear fire dragon armour anyways though, usually swapping it out for ice dragon when high fire resistance isn't needed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Which would do more damage in extended; a +9 lajatang of speed with +5 slaying or a holy one?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It feels really stupid pumping up charms to cast deflect missiles just because a book with repel missiles never loving spawned. Seems like every game I play there's always one basic spell that just refuses to show up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well gently caress.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20151108-175857.txt

Finished this too late for it to count for the Nemlex win. If I didn't splat the one I started earlier I would of finished in time but alas. Or I could of just not done extended but when the game lets you have maxed out resists in almost everything I kind of feel obligated. Plus I really wanted to cast dragon's call but even at 27 summoning I couldn't get it reliably castable. Oh well.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 8, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You betrayed Xom. You're drenched with sin :colbert:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Floodkiller posted:

Anything of Xom, just enjoy the ride.

Yeah chaos knights are actually really fun and Xom isn't as cruel as he used to be. Things will be silly and weird but you probably won't die just because Xom felt like it, at least once you get past the point in the game where he can screw you by getting bored and summoning a hellion.

EDIT: I just realized jellies not eating seen items means ranged characters can actually shoot them now.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 9, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There are way too many minotaur and gargoyle ghosts stomping around the dungeon right now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/InternetKraken.txt

So how terrible of an idea is using firestarter? Cause I'm totally gonna use firestarter.

EDIT: I mean it doesn't mesh with this character at all given the simulacrum end goal but gently caress it, I'll use it for the lair branches and have a good time/die horribly.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 9, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It still feels really dumb that potions of flight are a resource I actually have to conserve now rather than just throw on the floor and forget about. The more I play 0.17 the more the lack of the flight spell annoys me.

EDIT: Why does Crawl keep thinking its funny to put 5 ancient liches in my Vaults:5

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 10, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Haifisch posted:

Maybe it matters more for 15 runing, but I've never really felt they were a critical resource. Then again, I'm more than happy to lug a ring of flight around for the one 3-rune branch that benefits from it.

It boils almost entirely down too "will I have enough flight potions to make Cocytus not suck" because some of its endings have tons of deep water you HAVE too cross. Its not like shoals where you can just tough it out in shallow water; if you don't have flight, you straight up cannot clear the branch. And since jewelry slots are probably going to be tied up keeping on stuff to not die horribly, having to put on a ring of flight sucks. Its much better to just chug flight potions.

In the early parts of Cocytus and Ghenna there's just poo poo loads of lava and deep water you can walk around but it was nice to just bypass them with flight. Don't have that luxury most of the time now.

EDIT: On the other hand, the removal of regular mummy death curses has made Tomb much less obnoxious since I don't have to dump all my gear swaps before entering it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 10, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The real easy mode for extended is a statue form character. You get tons of AC, a big health bonus, and the best torment damage reduction outside of Kiku. On top of that, they have immunity to a lot of the stupid bullshit you can't avoid in extended. You don't have to worry about getting your HP rotted constantly or getting petrified in Dis. Pretty much the only extended threat they still care about is hellfire, but some races in statue form will have so much HP they don't care. And if you really want to go overkill, you can still worship TSO or Mahkleb to get heals on kills. You're basically indestructible at that point barring incredibly stupid play.

Of course the major downside of statue form is the slow movement, but playing around that isn't so bad. It just means you need a decent ranged attack or some way to close the gap quickly. You want one of those for extended anyways.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I tend to be slightly more anti-statue form than pro, and I know other people differ from me on this, but my problem with statue form in extended is that you have to eat far more hell effects and deal with more of the super high spawn rate in pan. It's also harder to escape from bullshit situations in pan as well. I end up taking more damage in statue form than without it in both of those places. It's amazing in tomb, however.

As far as hell effects ago, none of the ones that do direct damage matter in the slightest. Torment is the only one that can hurt but you're in statue form so who cares. Being in statue form also negates the bullshit rot effects and makes it easier to get to rN+++ to negate the draining ones. The only hell annoying hell effects it doesn't negate are enemy spawning and glow. Enemy spawning isn't as much of an issue when you just flatten everything with comically powerful attacks though, which is easy when they spawn right next you. Glow is dumb and should be removed because it just boils down to how many potions of cancellation you have.

As for Pan, the spawn rate of enemies in it is almost completely irrelevant because most of the enemies that spawn are trash. The dangerous situations in Pan come from the vaults filled to the brim with nasty poo poo. Trying to stumble away from them in statue form is stupid. You just burn a TP scroll because literally anywhere else on the map is gonna be better than that place. Or you controlled blink out via spell or scroll. Either way, trying to run from stuff in Pan is usually the bad choice unless you are just avoiding the edge of an encounter. But in that case you could stll get away in statue form anyways. Its only when you're in the thick of things that you are really in danger, and you just want to TP then.

I mean I've tried tons of different builds in extended, and statue form feels like easy mode to me. It makes everything way easier. I'm not sure what you're doing to make you take more damage in it cause Ive never felt that way when using it. The only times I've come close to dieing with statue form in extended is when I play like an idiot because I'm overconfident.

VVV Yeah I didn't mean to imply it was because of statue form. The damaging hell effects never seem to do anything beyond like, 4 HP. Which I'm not gonna complain about when the other ones can be so awful.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 10, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Let me show you my extensive mace collection.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20151110-220526.txt

This was actually really hard because I played incredibly sloppily. I had to use my consumables to get out of stupid situations that I shouldn't of gotten myself into in the first place. I got too tab happy and combined with a laggy server I ended up coming way too close to death way too often. I used almost every single consumable I had by the time the game ended. No teleports, no blinking, no heal wounds, no curing, barely anything of other stuff. A smarter player would of cut their losses and ascended around the third time I nearly died in Hell but I'm too stubborn to give up. Sure it worked out but this easily could of been a death post with me lamenting my stupidity.

Did Lom Lobon get buffed in this version? As far as I know he hasn't changed at all since he got glaciate but for some reason he's giving me TONS of trouble lately. Used to be I smashed his nerdy eyeball into pieces but now he's just casting tornado ASAP and spamming glaciate nonstop. Its basically impossible to kill him in melee when he does that. I mean really;

quote:

96874 | Pan | HP: 4/217 [Lom Lobon/great icy blast (39)]

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 10, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've lost count of how many 2 win streaks I've had get ended on D:1/2 by the cruelty of the RNG. Adders and jackals are the bane of my low level existence.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

apple posted:

I ate the purple :saddowns:

You can solve this by eating more purple.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Okay, got a Draconian to level 7. Never really played them aside from the occasional failed pre-Lair splat, but I figure I'd go Monk, focus Unarmed until 7, and see what type I get before choosing a god/specialization. I got... Green. :psyduck:

What are Green Draconians good for again? Poison Magic seems unreliable and lovely, though I guess Meph Breath might be useful. Help me, Crawl goons

Meph breath is pretty useful and can get you through the early-mid game just fine. The thing about draconians is, their colour really doesn't matter. I mean its nice to get a good colour, but you don't need one. They can do pretty much anything, albeit with varying degrees of difficulty. You don't base your character around your colour, though in some cases it can help in deciding what you branch out too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

So I'm making my annual-ish return to the game for 3 weeks during a tournament -- When starting the game on CAO webtiles, it drops a ton of warnings about missing lua files. Is this normal?

The default rcfile for 0.17 is broken somehow. Just copy your 0.16 file and replace everything with it and it'll be fine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
lmao the current Nemlex choice is Deep Elf Monk. That's got to be one of the worst possible starts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Angry Diplomat posted:

I like Dungeon Crawl a lot and have wasted too much of my life playing it, and I unequivocally agree that this is the single worst thing about it. It's gradually getting better in that regard, though.

Its still the name of the game in extended though. I kind of laughed half-halfheartedly to myself when I read that Lair branches are shorter but the Hells are all still 6 levels of tedious bullshit before severe pain.

VVV Agree with the idea that they should both be shorter. I have a lot of ideas about how that could work while still being challenging but no point in them when I can't code.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 18, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A game where you can be killed by a piece of corn and a floating toe.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Zot is a lot more interesting when you get the floors that are mainly made up of unique vaults rather than randomly generated ones. Personally I think that should always be the case.

Well, aside from the corrosion one. That one is super annoying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Breathe of chaos on Mnoleg sounds horrifying. Pools of chaos are potential game enders if the RNG just decides to gently caress you over. Of course up until now they've been limited to apocalypse crabs and Xom. Now Mnoleg might decide she wants to do nothing but spam chaos breath and flood her entire arena with it, essentially making fighting her a massive gamble. Ugh.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how come faded altars weren't added in the released version of 0.17?

VVV I didn't see any in all 3 of my games. Weird.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 23, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ZeeToo posted:

[*]Octopode crushers replaced with Iron Giants. Where are my guaranteed hats going to come from now? Still throws like octopode crushers. I'll miss my high-tier octopodes, even so.

What is this racist bullshit? :mad:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah the octopode crusher change is just another one of those pointless changes nobody outside of the dev understands. Lets take this enemy with neat flavor and make it more boring because ???

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

OK, apparently the long-standing concern was that tentacle throw didn't work very well without monsters around. another dev was simultaneously working on the iron giant concept, and so they ended up being merged; the monster is a giant so that it can have a band of giants pals to throw the player toward. there isn't really any obvious thematically compatible Depths-appropriate monster for octopodes to band with. (water elementals don't quite cut it!)

it's a loss to flavour, but I can understand why the decision was made.

Why not just have them show up with high tier packs of merfolks? Then you can get some javelins out of depths more reliably as well.

Not like other lair branches don't have enemies show up in depths anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I got 3 wins in the tourney and then stopped playing because Fallout 3 came out :downs:

One of those wins was the high score for kobolds though and somehow nobody did better for the whole tourney. So I guess that's something.

• Locked thread