Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I do what seems prudent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I am basically the Kobe Bryant of DrAK Lives Matter!

Gonna carry this team on my aging shoulders and talk poo poo to all the kids who need to get out the way.

Join our team and feed me the rock!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Thug Lessons posted:

A GSC is the best weapon you can possibly use but it wouldn't be insane to train up 9 Shields and use the demon whip for a while, assuming it's got a decent brand or enchant. You'll be dealing less damage but ogres have poo poo defenses and it'll give to a chance to diversify your skills for a while before switching.

There are arguments on an ogre for going Evenstar + Large Shield, depending on god choice. Qazlal ogre + big shield is an extremely solid build and lets you focus on defenses and ignore everything else besides invocations with relative ease.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I mean, if you go the aforementioned Qazlal your base damage doesn't matter in the slightest since you can just kill everything on the screen by hitting a => c

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Tournament season is the best since the thread gets ogrerun with good comments

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
One slot left for team DrAK Lives Matter!

Join us in our quest to prove our point through violence~

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Was moving into extended with my MuWr but i think i need to sleep soon

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Haifisch posted:

They're working on changing it on this experimental branch. Trims abyss to 4 levels, places the rune only on 4. Sounds good, except for needing to take stairs all the way out for some godforsaken reason. And keeping the spawnrate of the deepest level you've been to until you manage to leave entirely. And getting the rune fixes spawns at Abyss 4 levels. But mostly the stairs.

Because you know what people wanted? More time wasted in the Abyss after grabbing the rune! :shepface:

Wow this sounds like a really cool change that absolutely no one will enjoy in the slightest, excellent way to make the lategame more fun

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

My current guy has gone through all of D, Lair and Orc without a single cmut. I got berserkitis from desparately quaff-IDing for heal wounds on level 2 and it's been stuck with me since.

But the game made up for that with a lot of other really good RNG. I got a short sword of electrocution really early on and Pakellas' 4-star gift was the iron rod, which I supercharged as soon as I hit 6. At that point in the game pretty much everything dies to a single high-evo iron blast. Actually that's true for most of the game, especially with Device Surge.

Pakellas isn't remotely fair for the base game but at least it makes ascending trolls and mummies easy

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

megane posted:

The traditional holy grail of mummy xomscumming is a rod; it takes little skill to use effectively, can kill nearly everything in the early game, and as a mummy you can just stand still for 100000 turns to make it recharge between every battle.

Yeah this is why pakellas turns mummies into extremely easy ascends. Any sort of scumming that nets a mummy a rod is basically gg as long as you don't do anything extraordinarily stupid

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is agony really an anti-hydra option? I haven't really played necromancy guys but I know from playing En that they have pretty high MR for lair.

Also this is a real old post but agony gets a huge spellpower multiplier and is just great at softening hydras for a wand zap or two. Saves you a ton of charges on average since you can use it at max range.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 2, 2016

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Haste is one of the mechanics that will serve your character a lot better as a spell than a consumable. While wands and potions of hasting are obviously useful, their limited nature means you have to save them for tough fights. The advantage of haste as a spell is that you are free to use it whenever you want, which vastly improves your performance in combat. Not necessarily worth the exp to get it reliably castable, but having it as a consumable isn't a reason to not consider it.

With all the changes devs have done I still can't believe haste has been ignored. Its one of the most brain dead spells around and is stupidly powerful.

I'm actually completely on the other side of this opinion. Haste is amazing but it's not hard to get by with it on a wand with the increase in recharging scrolls. Even zigdiving it's very easy to stay haste-neutral and there aren't very many other places where you really need haste outside of escapes or huge waves of dudes where you have time to burn a charge as they appear at edge of LoS.

I've never really felt like my character was much different getting haste castable if I had a wand of it.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you aren't slinging three different level 9 nukes while hasted then I don't even want to know you. :colbert:

Haste doesn't make my tornado do any more damage =[

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Sage Grimm posted:

It does allow you to move and encompass more enemies just outside of range of it, so you could theoretically increase total dps by spinning. :v:

Counterpoint: only cast tornado when monsters are on 100% of tiles

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Obligatory "when's the next tournament" post, I find myself unable to play crawl seriously between announcements and it's grating on me

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

World Famous W posted:

Die in a Zig instead of Zot looking for cMut?

Teleportitis doesn't really hurt in a zig for the most part so yeah zigdiving is a pretty easy answer to bad mutes late.

I don't really care about mutes either way. Malmute isn't fun but it's so rare that it seriously impacts a run that I don't find it a huge problem. Berserkitis is the only mute that feels like unjustified punishment since even lvl 1 can make your entire game unfun. At least teleportitis is interesting, but constantly zerking is tedious and randomly punishing.

If there's a serious problem with malmute is that it's asymmetric. If I get a good mute I get 4 AC, or some rF. If I get a bad mute maybe i can't melee attack any more in a huge variety of situations. That's kind of an insane juxtaposition but it's what even 1 level of berserkitis can do to a character.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 6, 2016

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

none of those are challenge races!!!

Pleasing Fungus's Official Challenge Race Tier List (Original, Do Not Steal):
-- mu
-- fe

Pakellas has removed mummy from the challenge list and i dont think felid was ever really on it which leavessssss

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

LogicNinja posted:

The idea of trying to get a DsAE to temple is making me scream inside.

Static charge is excellent. AE have the most trouble getting from temple to vaults or so because they don't have a good blaster option unless they find ball lightning or something but gods or race can easily circumvent that. And yeah DS are amazing, they have a little weak spot near the start of the game but if you play a safe style of AE you should be ok.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
A Pakellite can easily use wands as a primary offensive tool. Just train shortblades and use confusion on everything that is even remotely strong. It's probably the easiest non-melee-tabstorming strat in the game.

But yeah you have to have SOME melee skill, and there's very little reason to not have plenty since you aren't going to use much magic for a long time. Pakellas is an insanely easy god for the base game because he gives you all the tools to beat tough encounters (wands and rods in abundance) but also frees your skillpoints up to go straight into melee/survival which means you're unlikely to have problems with normal encounters anyway.

And don't listen to anyone that says Mummy of Pak isn't good, it's an extremely solid combo, mummy pride

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 10, 2016

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but you have to survive reaching the temple as a mummy :v:

Artificer start should never die before temple barring enormous catastrophe :(

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Pshh mummy artificer of pak is hilariously overpowered but at least you get the joy of being a mummy which is the truest and best happiness there can be

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
The weird thing about Pak mummies is they aren't even slow like regular mummies. Also abandoning Pak for Ashenzeri in the endgame is super easy if you feel like being a skillmaster since you can just abyss trawl in relative safety on a mummy and clear piety till you can use MP again. You get all the fun parts of being a mummy with none of the work (endgame superiority)

World Famous W posted:

And Mummy dead in Lair 8 because I got greedy fighting Dire Elephants in that ending vault. Still going to give that combo a try again because it worked pretty solid.

If you have any rods of inaccuracy they are nice little bundles of XP, otherwise i'd wait till you get one. Remember as a mummy you can literally blow every charge of every rod to kill 1 mob, retreat, wait to recharge, and repeat vs anything that doesn't have scary ranged attacks in total safety.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 11, 2016

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

BigFactory posted:

It was a bad mutation when it randomly teleported you. Now you may as well just quit if you get it.

Did you read none of the other posts explaining it teleports you next to monsters exactly as often as it used to? it's less likely to bail you out now but it puts you in danger just as often and the bailout was rarely actually something that happened

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Darox posted:

I've been playing with pakellas a bit and I have come to the conclusion that people saying mummy of pak is easy mode are liars. Pak is something of a slow starter, he doesn't provide a lot of value for you until that first rod gift. Which isn't the end of the world (though it does make DD pak starts a little rough) but he also stops your mana regen which means you can't start as a mummy necromancer, aka one of the only starts that makes mummys kinda bearable.

Any mummy plan that involves picking a lousy background (most of them, because you are a mummy) is not a fun time.

Recharging a wand every few fights is completely insane early on, the value even with a crappy wand is immense and gives you more bang for your buck than similar low-piety spammable abilities.

But yes he is explicitly a "no casters allowed" god early on, it's in his drat description!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Darox posted:

Killing a dozen monsters to get a single charge on an acid wand is not a good exchange.

Do you really mean this? Getting a lil' scroll of recharging for killing a dozen monsters is loving incredible. Use it on a wand of confusion or enslavement or disintigration if you're unhappy with the Acid results, but there's no way this statement is accurate. You end up gaining far more charges than you use unless you're not bothering to blow your MP whenever you have the chance. The piety cost is very minor compared to how fast you gain it and how strong the ability is.

Getting to lair with Pak is completely trivial, probably the easiest of the gods outside of Trog tabstorming

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

World Famous W posted:

I am so glad of all the Mummy of Pak talk that took place over the last week because:
code:
11612796 worldfamousw the Grand Gadgeteer (level 27, 264/264 HPs)
             Began as a Mummy Artificer on Apr 11, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Pakellas.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Apr 12, 2016!

The game lasted 15:14:54 (142235 turns).
Link to Dump

Now I never have to play a mummy again! YAY! :dance:

Except now come tournament season you have a new reasonable combo you need to complete~

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

hito posted:

So I'm normally not one to complain about OOD monsters, but what the christ is this

2693 | D:3 | Noticed a water moccasin

That just has to be a bug, right? I'm not even complaining about dying (it was sleeping and I managed to sneak away). But a D3 water moccasin is just objectively wrong I think.

This is on CBRO trunk. I also noticed a D4 alligator, so maybe it's something where a Lair monster list is making it into early dungeon for some reason.

Here are dumps if that helps

D4 alligator game

D3 water moccasin game-in-progress

Actually, I do notice that these are both games where I worshiped Ru before Temple. Maybe it's a bad Ru vault.

I've run into those a few times. They're insanely good for some characters because they give buckets of xp and you can kill them with like, 1 confuse or a crummy wand or whatever. The amount 1 moccasin can put you ahead on d3 is enormous. Just pop consumables IMMEDIATELY if you are weak to it.

It's like an ogre and a half of xp what's not to love!

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 16, 2016

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Someone Awful! posted:

pakellas didn't give me much but the ability to spam wands endlessly pretty much carried me through this so i can't exactly say he was underwhelming, but i thought i'd have a lot more fun with rods. ended up with only inacc and lightning rod and in the end didn't use either near as much as acid wand or iceblast, which were basically my primary offense on everything always. pretty middling run all around tbh

honorable mention:

code:
o - the amulet of Yendor {Inacc rF++ rC+ MR+ Int+4}

This is super sad because Naga constrict into inaccuracy is super ridiculously strong

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Evenstars are slightly better in the lategame with a great brand mostly because they give slightly greater ability to bring down prime targets regardless of what they are. Demon whips are definitely better early and are still great late, so it's not a huge enough deal to ditch one for the other if you've got the brand you need.

I almost always err on the side of an evenstar given the chance just because I find killing popcorn is pretty easy regardless of build and hate being stuck whacking a juggernaught or Iron Giant for longer than I need to be.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Boo to ball lightning nerfs, the best spell in the game

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Neeeed tournamenttttt

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Welp got a double post, may as well add content:

Does anyone else have trouble actually finishing a character when it's been a while since the last tournament? I get to the midgame and I just stop giving a gently caress and splat my guy because I'm unmotivated to do the midgame slog if there's nothing on the line. I know it's totally arbitrary but it's a real problem I have that keeps me from having as much fun as I normally would.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Im way more afraid of jackals than i am of ogres

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Dee Ehm posted:

True, being able to hit all of the Mara at once is a huge boon, I just get jittery at the idea of double damage from any source, much less with Mara around.

Dith is certainly an acceptable god for a mage that isn't Fire Elementalist though, especially if you get to Temple and don't find your first choices, like where I mentioned her as an alternative.

I don't pretend to be the big expert though! I definitely still have plenty to learn.

Edit: for a new player though the best Mara advice is don't. Also for experienced players.

Why would you choose dith over ashenzeri for a blaster as an alt choice though? Like I cannot think of anything dith offers a blaster that Ash doesn't horrifically trump at a much earlier time.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

Perma flying, rot immunity, torment resistance, innate resistances out the whazoo... Why am I not playing a gargoyle right now instead of banging my head against a wall with Mummy Wizards of Gozag?

Because a lategame mummy wizard of gozag is the stuff dreams are made of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
holy poo poo beogh lets you revive dead orcs???

How did I miss this change, my worldview has just been shattered

• Locked thread