Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So a few weeks back, Louisiana voted for governor between about a million candidates, 4 of which were serious. Whosoever got the top 2 spots would go on to a one on one battle for the governorship.

Your two contenders:

David Vitter, the republican. I won't mince words. Dude got into a huge prostitute scandal about 8 years back where it was revealed he liked to wear diapers while prostitutes kick him in the balls. I mean, I wish I were saying I was making a clever goony joke, but that's literally what happened. He received 256,300 votes in the primary, for 23% of the vote.

John Bel Edwards, the democrat. American hero, former army ranger, once saved three children from a forest fire with his dick, and is well known on the atari demo scene as "trilobit". He received 444,517 votes in the primary for 40% of the vote.

Here are the storylines leading into the general election between these two:

1. Bobby Jindal, the current governor, has basically left the state for the past 6 months tarnishing the republican brand. Jindal does not give one green poo poo and is convinced he is so much more tanned than anyone else for the presidency.

2. John Bel Edwards has picked up the endorsements of the two other republicans who ran in the primary. One of those is the current Lieutenant Governor.

3. John Bel Edwards did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZQVCFVVVE0

Vitter has cancelled all future public appearance because his face has melted clean off from the burn.

Use this thread to discuss all the latest amazing-ness in this incredible election on the Bayou. Election day is Saturday November 21st.

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

As a disabled veteran, I'm ok with prostitutes, but where does diaper baby stand on the ISSUES?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Why did Vitter think this run was a good idea?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Probably thought "I'm not Jindal" was close enough to a winning strategy

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

He's a republican with good name recognition in Louisiana. Normally that's good enough, and the girl he was caught with was still alive, so the rule set by a previous LA gov wasn't broken.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Anyone catch the debate last night? Vitter was absolutely slaughtered, just making poo poo up on the fly and lying and Edwards coming back with blows. The debate even ended with yelling over Vitter's infidelity. A good watch

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
There were rumours that the RGA was dropping out of Louisiana and apparently Vitter did so poorly people belived it, but they're coming out and calling those just rumours.

The sync is off, but here's some Maddowian coverage of the debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJxh_Ydto4

The debate also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD8oPr7_T6s

A very weird format, where only one person is at the podium at a time.

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Nov 12, 2015

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I have a bunch of money on the non-diaper wearer so I hope he wins. Also it would be better for all the poor people in Louisiana I guess.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Why does Louisiana have all these weird election laws? You have run offs and more run offs and elections 3 weeks after everyone else? Up here in the north you have a primary and a general and that's it, election over, see you next year.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Yes but you have two primaries. Louisiana squeezes everyone into the jungle primary and then has the run-off/general.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The jungle primary is dumb but run-offs are a good and democratic idea.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

The jungle primary is dumb but run-offs are a good and democratic idea.

Run-offs without a jungle primary are not ideal either, since it poses a greater burden on voters that disproportionately affects left-leaning candidates. I think IRV is overly-complicated and not a great system, but it is better than sending candidates to a second round.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

David Vitter would tombstone stunner baby hitler

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nonsense posted:

David Vitter would dress up like baby hitler

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
New poll has baby Hitler down by 22 points.

gagelion is back
Nov 12, 2015

by zen death robot
I imagine some people will assume Edwards is related to Edwin Edwards, no idea if this is a good or bad thing.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

gagelion is back posted:

I imagine some people will assume Edwards is related to Edwin Edwards, no idea if this is a good or bad thing.

Edwin himself said to suggest it, sooo...

gagelion is back
Nov 12, 2015

by zen death robot

OAquinas posted:

Edwin himself said to suggest it, sooo...

lol really? source?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

gagelion is back posted:

lol really? source?

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/09/edwin_edwards_on_trump_and_lou.html

Most of the way down.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

"My name is Vitter and people know that name, also I have zero ties with this idiot Jindal, I'm a lock for this"

He's...he's not a smart man.

Also the machine of Louisiana politics has compensated for far worse than 'lol diaper fucker', it was just the fact that he's a miserable, spiteful, little man that made people go 'wait you're a diaper fucker AND you're a lovely dude with no charisma who clearly feels entitled to this job thanks to the R next to your name and nothing more?"

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

he hasn't lost yet

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

How did Vitter make it through the primary if he's this toxic?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Peel posted:

How did Vitter make it through the primary if he's this toxic?

Jungle primary. He got the minority of Republican votes, but the biggest minority.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

he had and still has a shitload of money to put out his side of the story, also i feel like his republican opponents went pretty soft on the whole prostitution story

edwards came out with this 'prostitutes over patriots' angle which is pretty glorious

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pathetic little tramp posted:

Election day is Monday November 21st.

Saturday, November 21st. :science:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

oystertoadfish posted:

he had and still has a shitload of money to put out his side of the story, also i feel like his republican opponents went pretty soft on the whole prostitution story

edwards came out with this 'prostitutes over patriots' angle which is pretty glorious

Oh, they mentioned it a time or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Osxl8YfV2Q

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

Why does Louisiana have all these weird election laws? You have run offs and more run offs and elections 3 weeks after everyone else? Up here in the north you have a primary and a general and that's it, election over, see you next year.

imagine you're a white democrat in louisiana in the 1970s

black people are starting to vote in large numbers

democrats are dominant in the state, so the democratic primary is essentially the general, but the democratic primary electorate is a lot blacker than the general election electorate

you're afraid that a black person could win the democratic primary, because blacks would be close to half the democratic electorate, so you devise a system by which a white person always wins~

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

imagine you're a white democrat in louisiana in the 1970s

black people are starting to vote in large numbers

democrats are dominant in the state, so the democratic primary is essentially the general, but the democratic primary electorate is a lot blacker than the general election electorate

you're afraid that a black person could win the democratic primary, because blacks would be close to half the democratic electorate, so you devise a system by which a white person always wins~

this is also a big reason why democrats are so much worse at gerrymandering than republicans

sure you could make a bunch of 60% democratic districts, but that would give those people a chance to win seats

better to draw up halfhearted attempts to gerrymander white democratic seats then switch parties when it doesn't work

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

oystertoadfish posted:

this is also a big reason why democrats are so much worse at gerrymandering than republicans

sure you could make a bunch of 60% democratic districts, but that would give those people a chance to win seats

better to draw up halfhearted attempts to gerrymander white democratic seats then switch parties when it doesn't work

actually dems were really good at gerrymandering and that's exactly what they did to ensure only white dems would get elected, and why southern dems kept their majorities a good decade longer than they probably should have

then the naacp and republicans joined together for a thing called project ratfuck to get blacks elected in safe districts in exchange for letting republicans have everything else

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Heads up, the final governor's debate is tonight and can be watched live at 6 PM here: http://www.fox8live.com/story/30295634/watch-live-the-governor-debate-at-7-pm

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
8 minutes in and the moderators have lost all control.

Better link: http://www.brproud.com/governors-debate-live-stream

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

comes along bort posted:

actually dems were really good at gerrymandering and that's exactly what they did to ensure only white dems would get elected, and why southern dems kept their majorities a good decade longer than they probably should have

then the naacp and republicans joined together for a thing called project ratfuck to get blacks elected in safe districts in exchange for letting republicans have everything else

fair enough they were really good at it for a long time, it was just that interstitial moment where they had to either become republicans or start using black voters to prop up their sinking ship that their maps started to get kinda silly and 'progressives' started calling them 'dummymanders'

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hahaha this is a hell of a debate, Vitter is getting ripped to shreds and the audience is openly jeering and laughing at him.

And now there are hecklers on the other side, yelling at the moderators for asking questions about the prostitution scandal.

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 01:29 on Nov 17, 2015

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hahaha this is a hell of a debate, Vitter is getting ripped to shreds and the audience is openly jeering and laughing at him.

And now there are hecklers on the other side, yelling at the moderators for asking questions about the prostitution scandal.

It's insane how loud the crowd is.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Vitter not wanting to raise the minimum wage got a loud boo there.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
"My family forgave me for the whole thing with the hookers. So should you."

actual closing argument

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
That was absolutely the rowdiest Louisiana Governor's debate that I've ever seen. It was actually a bit embarrassing how much the crowd resembled a Jerry Springer audience.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Silly Burrito posted:

That was absolutely the rowdiest Louisiana Governor's debate that I've ever seen. It was actually a bit embarrassing how much the crowd resembled a Jerry Springer audience.

I'm glad this election is bringing the best in my home out.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
Love this jindal v vitter theory: http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/multimedia/14015723-171/jindal-suspension-no-help-for

quote:

After a lifetime working in either Louisiana or national politics, Carville knows all the tricks. He wondered whether Jindal’s announcement might be a deliberate effort to upstage Vitter since the two Rhodes scholars are known to be political rivals.

Indeed, it could be payback since Vitter, after a week of being silent, decided to appear before the press in Metairie on July 16, 2007 – with his wife Wendy by his side – to make his first public statement since news of his connection to the D.C. Madam broke. Vitter’s event shoved to the side Jindal’s announcement later that day that he was formally entering the governor’s race.

Now the shoe may be on the other foot in terms of the timing.

“I wonder if he didn’t do it now to mess with Vitter,” Carville said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
if bobby jindal's biggest legacy is loving with congress's most famous diaper fetishist...he'll still be awful. but at least the vitter bit will be funny.

• Locked thread