Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lycus posted:

"We're the Peep Show group and you're the Mark" is really one of the worst things you can say to someone. Worse than "we're the Always Sunny gang and you're the Dennis".

Well the good thing is there's very, very few people you could want to be in the Peep Show group. Even the characters who you think are nice or stable on first inspection are actually complete train wrecks. At least Mark is consistent in just being poo poo at life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

crispix posted:

The clean shirt kids will be about 25 now won't they? :stare: This show has had some run.

The show takes 3 years to tell about 2 months worth of time, so it's probably still 2003 in the show (with up to date tech and references, anachronisms be damned)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Use either Unblock US Now or AdFreeTime. They both cost but both are cheap (aft is the cheaper, I use unblock us just because it's the one I've always used and never had major problems). They're better imo, regardless of the dodgy nature of hola, because you just change your DNS settings at the router (or computer if you don't have router access, but this isn't as good) and forget it's running. You just go to a site, and if it's on their list you get the best version of that site (ie both Hulu and iplayer will 'just work').

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah this series has been fantastic and Jez's speech was amazing.

Or was it? Who am I to say? Who are you to read?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The wait between the phone call and Jeremy reminding Mark about the eye writing was genius. It felt almost certain that Mark would forget, but they turned it around and made it even funnier.

Solid series so far.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jeremy has what it takes to be a successful cult leader. Success could mean everyone dying, mind.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope the bag of coke is now a reoccurring object until the end of the show. If the final shot isn't of Mark with a nosebleed, I'll be disappointed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That would be perfectly Peep Show, because they'd both be as miserable as when they started.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm moving house again and it's still my dream that I somehow find my copy of the US pilot so I can share it with the world. It's naturally on an unmarked disc and is the worst thing ever.

E: search called off! Someone has finally done the 'decent' thing and put it on YouTube as of a month ago (I periodically search for it but never found a copy other than the one I had). Don't think it's as good a copy as mine was, but given I couldn't even get through 5 minutes on both attempts that doesn't matter. Witness the horror of Big Bang Peep Show.

http://youtu.be/8Yredc3ayOE

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 12, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I remember watching the first episode as it aired, as we didn't have cable and C4 on a Friday night was usually reliable. Gonna text my old uni friends I used to enjoy it with to see if they still watch (probably not, but hey).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think the sheer output of watchable/decent/great US comedy really emphasises how British TV has just a handful of short episode series' and the rest are imports and panel shows. And it's been like that for years, which is why it's been good to see British names in US credits at least. Glad they're able to get the work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I liked the US Inbetweeners, but I also thought the UK one was the most overrated thing on TV (not to say I didn't enjoy it, it was just proclaimed to be the greatest thing by so many people, when it wasn't. And the 2nd film was a loving travesty). They were smart in making the characters different enough to the UK original rather than forcing it. US Jay being so different to the UK one was a smart move, and the Will didn't drive me insane every time he opened his mouth.

I wonder if Peep Show USA would've been able to do have pulled off a The Office USA turnaround when it found it's feet. I'd say no, the production just looked cheap and amateur whereas at least The Office was just a bad script with good production. I haven't seen the early series' of Peep Show in so long that I can't remember what parts of the pilot were lifted and what was original, but I will admit that I chuckled a bit when he put the swastika post-it note down*, and one other bit I can't remember. The Axel-F bit would've been funny if they didn't treat the audience like an idiot and spelt the joke out for them.

* there's a US show called 'Kevin From Work' that has a similar post-it back and forth situation with the main character. I wonder if that idea was rescued from this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ThomasPaine posted:

I actually thought the second inbetweeners film was way better than the first, though still imperfect. The first film seemed to forget that what made the series good was its ruthless believability and lack of happy endings, but the second one reclaimed that.

I do think that to really get the inbetweeners in full you have to have the fairly specific experience of having been a British comprehensive schoolboy in the early to mid 2000s.

From memory, the only part of the film that made me truly laugh was when Neil killed the dolphin (I think that's right? I've only got vague memories). The movie was killed for me by having the obvious dickhead you're supposed to dislike just be so goddamned obnoxious that it wasn't fun to watch. I enjoyed the first, because it followed the great tradition of British TV show goes on holiday for it's movie, and it felt like a spiritual successor to Kevin and Perry (which I loved when younger). The 2nd just felt like a cheap cash in and didn't have enough jokes that made me laugh, so I found it tiresome.

I agree that it mimics school life pretty well. Like a Grange Hill after the watershed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khablam posted:

It's entirely lifted, with content from the first 2/3 UK episodes as source. It also bizarrely changed a few things that makes me think they might have changed direction slightly, or dragged the romance out longer.

Changing "something stupid like .... I like you" to just generic bad singing is a weird shift.

I thought it felt familiar. If I have time I might do an early series re-watch soon, it'll feel pretty fresh after not having seen them in so long.

Y-Hat posted:

I didn't even know there was an American Peep Show attempt, but I did know that there was one for The IT Crowd, and it was just as awful.

Yeah, I don't know anyone else who'd seen the the Peep Show pilot and it's why it bugged me that I lost my disc so long ago. It was bittersweet when my search the other day brought it up on YT. I've seen the Red Dwarf and IT Crowd ones too, but they've been floating around the web for ages, where Peep Show hadn't. I have no idea where my friend sourced my copy from. I'd love to see more pilots that crashed (in the words of Victor Lewis Smith).

Taear posted:

VEEP is at least written by Armando so it is quite easy to carry on the humour. That said it didn't really grab me.

How far through did you get? I really liked it from word go, but it really does get better as it goes on. I can't remember my exact season preference, but 2 is definitely better than 1 and 3 / 4 were both superb too. It's a pretty different show to TTOI, has a different flow to it. Which is why it works I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do you have a direct link? I'm only seeing last weeks episode for some reason...

• Locked thread