Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

We wouldn't want people to choose now would we, especially if it means someone might make a profit by doing something the public sector just can't seem to do, like offer doctor's appointments without a 2 month wait.

Also, the third sector will include players like the church (diakonia, diacor etc) and Folkhälsan. Not exactly tiny players on a Finnish scale. But I guess it's easy to ignore them and continue crying about how the government doesn't do 100% of everything anymore because it's a step away from,communism or whatever you're imagining.

Your :tenbux: priorities aside, how on earth do you expect deacons to take responsibility of public health care? They do have nurse training, yes, but in practice? Doing physical checkups on their customers in the side? That's like suggesting the guards take over policing because they know how to deal with public disturbances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Ligur posted:

Ahh. I just had a plate with this Sir and he could not agree more with the opinions of BGH.

Someone sponsor that guy a free luxury vacation here on the condition that someone follows him with a camera all the time.

:roflolmao:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

I loved those with the pink glaze and jam, sputniks they called them.

Berliininmunkki?

Wrong country, you guys. :(

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Since Sipilä belongs to a big sisterfuck breeder cult, this is likely.

I know you like to harp on Sipilä about his religious affiliations but this (and all variations of it) is really getting old. :geno:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Mulli posted:

hihhuli spotted

Well doh.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ligur posted:

I hate the word but "suvakkis'" (also those in this thread) assume that people from Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. are social democrats who value individual liberties, equal and LGBT rights.

Besides in your mind, where are these people? You've been laughing at them and fighting their dumb assumptions forever but I've yet to see or meet one. Would you have any examples?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

minkä takia sinä ja muut halla-ahon kaltaiset henkilöt selittelette kirjoituksianne ironialla

I'm not sure BGH has written anything serious in this thread yet. He's mostly being a parody of people.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Apparently they snuck through a price hike for health care visits while nobody was looking. Striking right at the pockets of the poor. The lazy fuckers.

30% is pretty steep. Ow.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ligur posted:

There have been no murderous arson attacks in Finland against asylum seekers, only empty buildings,

You're so, so wrong. :(

Attempted arson of an apartment building, 20ish refugee families living inside: http://www.ts.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/820245/Poliisi+SPRn+vastaanottokeskus+yritettiin+sytyttaa+Lammilla
Attempted arson of a refugee center, 114 refugees were sleeping inside: http://www.kouvolansanomat.fi/Onlin...2015219891073/4
Attempted arson of a school. Dozens of the students, including the 14 underage refugees, live there : http://yle.fi/uutiset/turvapaikanhakijoita_majoittavaa_raudaskylan_opistoa_heitettiin_polttopulloilla/8423060

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Okay, what on earth are you guys watching?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Can a soihtukulkue for nationalist-minded people be organized by anyone other than an ultra-right Nazi?

edit

Scouts at least are ultra-dangerous nazis. I mean, look at them, they have blue shirts!

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Valiantman posted:

You're so, so wrong. :(

Attempted arson of an apartment building, 20ish refugee families living inside: http://www.ts.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/820245/Poliisi+SPRn+vastaanottokeskus+yritettiin+sytyttaa+Lammilla
Attempted arson of a refugee center, 114 refugees were sleeping inside: http://www.kouvolansanomat.fi/Onlin...2015219891073/4
Attempted arson of a school. Dozens of the students, including the 14 underage refugees, live there : http://yle.fi/uutiset/turvapaikanhakijoita_majoittavaa_raudaskylan_opistoa_heitettiin_polttopulloilla/8423060

80 evacuated when someone intentionally torched yet another refugee center. Luckily the fire brigade managed to get the fire under control and the refugees can move back in after the smoke is cleared.

Puistokemisti posted:

http://www.hs.fi/ilta/09122015/a1449634531482

”En tiedä miten minun Irakissa käy, mutta täällä minä kuolen henkisesti”

Hyvä ettei fyysisestikin.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ligur posted:

There is a ton of news that it was a cigarette stump?

Google Pirkanmaa & tupakantumppi.

Or was this intentional murder torch you speak of some other event.

Cigarette was a completely different case.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Gas all the posters tbh (not Ligur though)

He's the one doing the gassing.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Puistokemisti posted:

Buying, preparing, miscalculating the timer and staying up until 3am watching the temperature slowly climb has basically become a Christmas tradition at this point for my father and I wouldn't dare to rob him of that joy.

Stop insinuating that I'm your father. :mad:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Being a jaeger was fun. I got to shoot with an ärkoo95, a couple of sniper rifles, KVKK and PKM, throw hand grenades and even try out a live ITKK a couple of times. While I doubt it's anything compared to a friend of mine, who fired Apilases and even an anti-tank missile, I can't deny that bigger the gun, the more fun it is. Funnily enough I don't even know how to adjust the sights of a RK62 because only our snipers got those and only for marksmanship competitions.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ligur posted:

How was it compared to KVKK?
*drool*

Easier to clean, easier to carry and most importantly no-one ever wanted anything to do with the KVKK ammo belt ever again. I best not compare the accuracy since it's been a long time but jantterit fell down pretty much equally with both I guess.

About the hand grenades: an old tornari actually happened to my little brother's recon company. Someone fumbled with a live one and it fell short. I can't remember if it fell in the actual foxhole but close enough that the skappari got to play a hero and save the poor conscript by pushing her into cover.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 3, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did you drop the Ligur gimmick at some point?

BGH has seriousposted like once and it was the wall of text about immigrants that said nothing. He's a constant parody of everyone.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

SnowblindFatal posted:

I don't understand. How is one bad and the other not?

The second assigns blame on people as a group, many of which don't come here with the purpose of leeching the welfare state dry.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Mulli posted:

To be honest the timing seems a bit weird when these people don't even know if they can stay in the country. Kinda big risk they're taking if this doesn't affect getting refugee status at all.

It doesn't and it is dangerous to them, to the point of not wanting their names published so that news of their conversion wouldn't reach Iraq or whatever they're from.

Yay. :)

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Gortarius posted:

What does the "MV" in MV-lehti stand for? Wikipedia says "Mitä Vittua". True or false?

True. It was called that before it sold out and became mainstream alternative "publication".

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

kikkelivelho posted:

Joining NATO isn't going to stop Russia from applying economic and political pressure. I guess it would be cool if they gave us nukes, but that's not going to happen so what'evs

TripleS with their very own nuke buttons.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I'd forgotten about the existence of an even more self-entitled group than students until I read about these guys. Oh no food is cheaper for everyone else :qq:

:sigh:

Yeah, screw them for trying to make a living and wanting it to have anything to do with what they actually produce instead of filling literally hundreds of pages of forms.

Let's see you calmly take 50% pay cuts. You only have capital income, don't you?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

an entitled middle-class group

The two worst things about farmers/cattle growers economic problems are probably the insane bureucracy and wildly unstable and unsure income while also having investments easily in hundreds of thousands and even millions. The Iltalehti article earlier didn't exaggarate when it said that a single minor mistake, for example crossing a wrong box, might mean losing a five figure sum as sanctions. A friend of mine who has a farm, was in panic after a cow that was supposed to be slaughtered had managed to lose both of her earmarks during the morning the truck was to arrive. They found one of them but it wouldn't have been enough since it specifically has to be attached to the ear. Had they not managed to do that, no amount of paperwork would have helped. As far as I remember, the consequences would have included something really dumb, like none of the cows being eligible for food since one of them wasn't perfectly marked or something like that.

Also, according to some fast googling, the farmer average hourly wage in 2012-2014 was something like 6 euros. Apparently that has went down by 50% in 2014-2015.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 11, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Herman Merman posted:

Hmm. According to Tilastokeskus the average farmer/forest worker income in 2013 was around 2350 e/month.
A 6 euro hourly wage would mean they work around 390 hours each month. That's 13 hours daily, 30 days a month.

I don't think farmers work quite that much :colbert:

You may be right but Yle, in November 2014, says the average before Russian sanctions was 7 euros. Higher than the other number I found but still low. I now found the same statistic you mentioned and I fear that forestry workers do affect that number somewhat.

Unfortunately, 30 days a month pretty much checks out and from what I know, working around the clock is not uncommon when the season demands it. :(It was a quick googling I did but this Etelä-Saimaa article has some numbers from the same year: average hours 2000/year, average wages 20 000-22 000/year. (It should be noted that unless the farm is significantly larger than average and has hired employees, the farmers don't in practice get actual monthly wages.)

My main point was and still is GP being condescending snob who doesn't know what he's talking about, though, so I don't have a beef with you. Like I said, I know a few farmers but I have to google the actual numbers.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 11, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Luckily for us most countries don't have an MTK so farmers generally don't operate a cartel and we're able to buy food for fairly cheap. As for trade blockade see all the other posts on this thread by others.

How about instead of being lazy and relying on newspaper articles that use anecdotes, you look at the actual data? Instead of complaining about "condescending snobs who don't know what they're talking about", maybe you can explain to me a how a median household income of nearly €60000 makes you "poor"?

The problem with a lot of left wing people seems to be that a simple newspaper article based on anecdotes seems to shape your worldviews a lot more than the actual data.

https://www.stat.fi/til/mmtal/2012/mmtal_2012_2014-04-03_fi.pdf

Of course income is large but how much of it do the people get? From the same document you provided (thanks, by the way):

quote:

Vuonna 2012 yrityskohtainen keskimääräinen tulos maataloudesta vaihtelee tukialueittain noin 10 900 ja
21 600 euron välillä.
Viljelijäperheiden maa- ja metsätalouden
yhteenlasketut tulot vuonna 2000 olivat noin 16 300 euroa, kun vuonna 2012 ne olivat noin 22 700 euroa.

Do you actually know any farmers if you think they have it easy in any Finnish scale? I'm not going for "I know some people so I can generalize from that" but you seem to be badly deluded.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 11, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Granted, I don't know how much salary they pay for themselves but I can confirm that at least some do so. I know that because that's pretty much the first thing they cut since in a family business it's all their personal income in the end anyway. I could sort of see where you're coming from (not agree but understand) if you didn't call farmers entitled and say they only fill forms to get money. Their workload is insane compared to their standard of living, I can't even compare the bureucratic pressure to any other job I could come up with and their income depends really heavily on external factors that they cannot control in the slightest. I'm glad you at least put "corrupt" in the scare quotes even though I'm not sure what you implied.

Every farmer I know well enough to have talked about subsidies (a handful) would agree with you about doing away with them, by the way, if only it didn't mean bankruptcy and cessation of agricultural industry in Finland. They'd rather be paid for what they do instead of it being smaller portion than the subsidies. You're right it's not economically viable to farm here in this global situation where importing and exporting is so easy. Money just isn't the only value in the equation as far as I can see it. Since you're perfecly fine with stopping farming of plants and animals in Finland and only seem to consider the economic side of the matter (at least some part of it, I don't think stopping all farming would be beneficial to either the farmers or the state) I don't think we get anywhere discussing this further.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

It's not very rare for psychiatrists, priests or other professional listeners to meet people still traumatized by that. :(

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

OhYeah, why is it that we shouldn't receive those people who seek help?

If you decide to help someone, it will be at the expense of something - at least your time. It will probably cost you comfort and effort too. Probably money, too, and maybe you have to sacrifice even much more or much more serious stuff. If you only help those who you can profit off somehow, there's another word for that. If you don't help people, you're probably either selfish or afraid and should figure out which. I don't mean you need to be Ebenezer Scrooge or think the sky is falling but there is something preventing you from helping or even wanting to help. Like, I know I'm quite well off and I could, and should, donate more to various causes but unfortunately there's the combination of that new shiny SmartTV on sale and :effort: .

I visit Helsinki like twice a decade or something but I did go to Itäkeskus last weekend. I think I heard less Finnish that other languages combined and saw less Finnish-looking people than African/Russian/Arabic/Asian-looking people combined. It seriously was surprisingly uncomfortable since my memory of the place was a bit different. I could even call it intimidating. For me, personally, it's not a factor but I could easily see it adding to the equation of why we should just abandon the refugees. If you or your relatives have personal experiences worse than that, yeah, I'll buy that they contribute.

But why stop helping altogether and abandon the people who flee whatever each of them are fleeing?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Darkest Auer posted:

Because relatively speaking there are like 6 billion people who are "seeking help" from Finland*, and encouraging human traffickers and other illegal businesses is not a way to help the actual people who need help.

* i.e. poorer than your average European

Don't act dumb. Seeking help means that they travel all the way here and seek asylym.

Not even checking who of them needs help is not a way of helping people.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Nauta posted:

the fact that they traveled all the way here to seek asylum implies that they are not, in fact, immediate danger

...is my troll sense malfunctioning or are you serious?

If the latter, let's say you're fleeing Iraq. Since you're now homeless, why on earth wouldn't you make an effort to flee further than Iran or Jordan or Turkey if it is at all possible? If we had a crisis here that would force me to flee and Sweden and Norway had closed their borders, or would be equally bad places to be in, I sure as heck would cross the Russian border but I wouldn't want to settle there.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Nauta posted:

let's say you're fleeing a war-torn hellscape because you fear for your life and those close to you. Since you're now running for your life, why on earth would you leave women, children and old people behind to experience those horrible nightmares you just escaped and effectively leave them defenseless? If we had a crisis here that would force people to flee the country, 15-45-year-old men wouldn't be the main demographic on the run, it sure as heck would be a more natural representation of our country as a whole, i.e. women, children etc. included.

DarkCrawler answered to you already about the actual matter but let me ask you who are you projecting on me? You're not discussing with me in the above paragraph. I gave you a reasoning for "shopping" the best country to flee to. What does the above have to do with it?

quote:

I sure as heck would find the closest place not affected by the crisis because my life is in immediate danger.

And after that? After you're not in danger of getting immediately shot or something but you still have no home or, well, anything? I don't believe you wouldn't want to leave an overpopulated Russian refugee camp in Siberia if you had an opportunity to cross over to, say, South Korea or Japan.

quote:

if you honestly believe that a "refugee" population of 70% young males are genuinely fleeing a war and are not economic migrants trying to exploit a well-intentioned system, you are one naive dumb fucker. also don't bother posting that hs article, i've read it

Who are you projecting on me, seriously? Who on earth would be dumb enough to think that there are no economic migrants among the asylym seekers? That'd be almost as dumb as saying there are no real asylym seekers to begin with.

I don't order Hesari since I don't live anywhere near the south.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

:confused:

e: Fine, I'll elaborate.

It's not about hypotheticals, it's about you pulling the male/female ratio into the discussion out of nowhere. You're also saying I believe there are no economic migrants among the asylym seekers when I've not even touched that subject until you implied I'm a dumbass who thinks so, and you even quoted me saying that'd be dumb thing to say. You're projecting someone you've been arguing with onto me.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 26, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Oh damnit, now I don't get to be angry at a person in the Internet. :v:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

OhYeah posted:

But we can help them. Give money, personnel and other resources to countries that are housing the majority of the refugees (Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan) and put political and diplomatic pressure on Middle-Eastern leaders to solve the crisis quickly. We can help millions and end to conflict or we can help a fraction of those people and do nothing while countries like Syria are razed to the ground. One is a permanent solution which goes after the root of the problem, the other is a bandaid solution whose only goal is short-term: to appeal to your progressive voter base.

I agree this should be done and probably is done already to a degree. One is permanent solution (well, I doubt we can solve it fully but we sure can do more there than here like you said) and the other is a band-aid BUT the goal of the band-aid is not to appeal to voters. (Or if it is to someone, that's plain wrong.) If you apply a literal band-aid to a wound, it won't prevent wounds but will help stop the bleeding. The problems in the Middle-East are long-term but the people who flee from there need acute aid. It'd be great if no-one would have to flee but since some do, structural aid isn't helping them find safety. We're still left with a load of people coming over the border and many of them need aid right away.

We can help them there and help the fraction here. It's not mutually exclusive.

e: For the record, I don't expect us to be capable of handling either perfectly or to be able to help everyone but that kind of a prioritization of resources probably isn't relevant to the conversation here.

quote:

For some reason Sweden for example has decided that to test asylum seekers who claim to be underage is racist and discriminatory. So instead they have decided to put adult men together with vulnerable children. You know, err on the side of caution, so to speak.

How can you check the identity of asylum seekers if most of them have destroyed their ID papers?

With a disclaimer that I don't know anything about Swedish politics, that sounds dumb. Of course you should test them.

Checking their identity is hard for sure and there will be errors. I'm pretty confident (based on a few articles I've read) that a good interviewer can catch quite a few dishonest people and from what I've read about the asylym applicant/grantee ratios, they do manage quite well. Still, it won't be perfect. When a smuggler advices to destroy your ID, quite many apparently do so, even if they would eligible to asylym anyway. That must make it double hard.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 27, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

We should really translate more Finnish locations into English in everyday speech.

Backwallriver

Pawed-o

Village of War

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

But Steam sells good games and is making money ergo Finland should be like Steam.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

And yet there are dozens of Marttis in Namibia.

(e: could be Luther of course. Plenty of Finnish missionaries have been around those parts.)

Originally Rautanens, actually: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martti_Rautanen

:eng101:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Taloustutkimus is pro-refugee nowadays?

Of course it is, because, well just look at the poll results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Nenonen posted:

http://yle.fi/uutiset/opetushallituksen_opas_johti_kanteluun__transihmisista_kertominen_nahdaan_tasa-arvorikkomuksena/9001992

Can we just burn all Christians religious people on a stake?

*) can't be a bigot and exclude all the Muslims, Mormons etc. from martyrdom

e: just look at this fucker

I'm on the line for the row of stakes but I'm not sure that guy has actually read the guide he's critical of. I mean, yes, there are some sentences and paragraphs that don't jive well with some traditional Christian teachings but overall he should be praising it for very level-headed and loving approach towards people, which is extremely fitting with Christian values.

That being said I'm not sure Yle really read the guy's complaint either. Perhaps there is some agenda behind the words, but at face value he seems to be mainly criticizing how the guide puts a lot of emphasis on the importance of knowing one's sex/gender and that that's a wrong emphasis. A bunch of clickbaiting on Yle lately.

:shrug:

e: Oh, I missed that one sentence Rexroom quoted. That actually is a good point from him, just not here. He's saying children cannot be gay because they're still developing. That probably is not entirely true (I have no idea myself) but psychologically youth really is volatile time and it would probably be correct to say that locking down sexual orientation in behalf of a child is potentially harmful both ways, not only in the homophobic way. The guide addresses this though so another shrug smiley I guess.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 4, 2016