Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Interstellar is essentially the best case scenario I envision for mankind and that movie was like a horrific nightmare for me. Whenever I whine about not wanting to dig around in the dirt, that is what I see. The other things like "we don't need engineers, we need food", moon landing conspiracy bullshit being made official to discourage science and people dying because we don't have MRIs made me think "if this is what the future brings, then I hope humanity becomes extinct, since it would be preferable to this barbarism".

Interstellar levels of decline in quality of life with climate change are both plausible and depressing but the other stuff you mention here has nothing to do with climate change. There is still going to be a demand for engineers of some description in the post-climate change world and it's not going to turn everyone into paranoid conspiracy theorists, even in the movie that made no sense (why would a government discourage people from an interest in space and science but continue to invest in a huge secret space program???)

People are also dying due to lack of MRIs without climate change so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
In case you aren't aware, the content of textbooks is determined by state's education boards. It represented the logical continuation of the American tradition of anti-intellectualism, particularly in rural states, combined with the censoring of a scientific community that painted an increasingly bleaker picture of the future.

The space program was conducted in secret precisely because there'd be no public support for it in the ruling sociopolitical climate.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel really unclear what the goon approved apocolypse fanfiction even is on this one. Pakistan is having a water crisis that is going to get way worse but like, is the idea they are going to nuke then occupy india? Are they going to get real poor then india is going to nuke them? Is the idea just they are both savage animal countries so if things go vaguely wrong they will just mash their face into the nuke buttons?

Owl, I know you're being stupid on purpose because that's how you have fun, but the meaning of the post you quoted is that India and Pakistan should use their nuclear material in reactors to power desalination plants instead of making war, but they probably won't because of the pitfalls of human nature.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Syria is already a Mad Max hellhole prompted (arguably, granted) by Climate Change. Your personal experience will depend strongly on your region and your own socioeconomic resilience.

But even if you're solidly third quintile in a non-failed state, fact is conditions you'll be looking at in 30 years will be very different from what they're now. Not just a matter of "oh yeah, the economy is in the dumps, unemployment is high and wages low, I can't afford my hobbies" like people remember from 2008, but more along the lines of "logistics and infrastructure are breaking down left and right, the country is barely holding itself together" ala the USSR in the 80s.

Don't think Mad Max, think Interstellar.

I vote "Don't think Mad Max, think Interstellar" as the new thread title.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Interesting update on the cost of renewable energy and storage according to Lazard. Also the title of this article made me laugh:

PV magazine posted:

Lazard, Lazard, LCOE – what’s the cheapest energy?
NOVEMBER 9, 2018
Yesterday, Lazard released its Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE) analysis version 12.0 for Energy (.pdf), and Version 4.0 for Energy Storage (.pdf). The document shows that utility scale wind, solar offer the cheapest absolute electricity pricing – without subsidies. When federal tax subsidies are applied, essentially politically palatable forms of a carbon tax, we see all thin film solar cheaper than all gas, and the majority of crystalline silicon solar cheaper than gas.

The money plots:
Storage

Energy

Historical energy cost comparison

It's interesting that solar continues to decrease in cost, ignoring the usual issues of intermittent generation and grid compatibility. Nuclear costs are going up?

edit: News articles point out that this is the first time new solar generation capacity is competitive or cheaper than EXISTING coal production but there's no figure for existing natural gas for comparison.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 9, 2018

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nocturtle posted:

It's interesting that solar continues to decrease in cost, ignoring the usual issues of intermittent generation and grid compatibility. Nuclear costs are going up?

I'd believe it, especially if this analysis is focused on the US (isn't it?). The entire supply chain is kinda dog poo poo and poised to get worse. I'd like to see how China and India is doing with nuclear costs, since they are building it out, China especially, since they are going from 4% and shooting for 15-20% by 2030 or so with total capacity.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

It's cool and normal to have entire towns destroyed by wildfires in northern California during mid November.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sitchensis posted:

It's cool and normal to have entire towns destroyed by wildfires in northern California during mid November.

I wonder how much CO2 those fires are releasing compared to the annual CO2 released by humans.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
edit: Wrong thread!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

sitchensis posted:

Serves them right for all those almonds.

(I can say that because some of my best friends are burned-down towns in northern California.)

quote:

I wonder how much CO2 those fires are releasing compared to the annual CO2 released by humans.

Five.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

qkkl posted:

The forest fires are relatively minor emitters:

quote:

Methods for estimating wildfire emissions are an area of active research, but our best estimates of total emissions in 2013-2015 for GHGs from CA wildfires on federal lands alone have consistently amounted to around 20-25 Million Metric Tons of Carbon Dioxide Equivalent (MMTCO2e) each year.
Annual human emissions are ~37 GTCO2 / year, which is kind of horrifying given the size of these fires.

sitchensis posted:

There should actually be significantly MORE wildfires than we're used to in managed west coast forests, which are being suppressed due to human firefighting activity. Like maybe there should actually be more towns getting destroyed than we're used to, no-one alive is familiar with the "normal" burn rate. At the same time the recent uptick in massive wildfires appears to be climate-change related:

"Science Daily posted:

A warmer, drier climate is expected is increase the likelihood of larger-scale forest disturbances such as wildfires, insect outbreaks, disease and drought, according to a new study co-authored by a Portland State University professor.

The study, published Oct. 19 in the journal Nature Communications, sought to provide a more complete snapshot of disturbances in the world's temperate forests by quantifying the size, shape and prevalence of disturbances and understanding their drivers.

The researchers analyzed 50 protected areas like national parks as well as their immediate surroundings, allowing them to compare disturbances inside protected areas that are more climate-related from those just outside that would also be impacted by human land use.

The study found that while many temperate forests are dominated by small-scale disturbance events -- driven largely by windstorms and cooler, wetter conditions -- there was also a strong link between high disturbance activity and warmer and drier-than-average climate conditions. Andrés Holz, a co-author and geography professor in PSU's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said this suggests that with a warming climate, disturbances are expected to become larger and more severe in some temperate forests including the western U.S.

"Under the warmer conditions we have been seeing, it is likely that we're going to see a higher probability of areas that tend to have very big disturbances," he said.

edit:
On the subject of historical scale of wildfires, this mega-plot from this proceedings was interesting:

Comparing curves C, E and F suggests interesting times ahead for the west-coast.

edit2: Yikes, just noticed the abrupt decline in west-coast population 350-450 years ago.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 9, 2018

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So which is it, warmer air = drier air, or warmer air = able to hold more water = wetter air.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

qkkl posted:

So which is it, warmer air = drier air, or warmer air = able to hold more water = wetter air.

Generally speaking this is dependent on other geographic factors, like proximity to a large body of water, whether the area is in the rain shadow of a mountain range, etc.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

qkkl posted:

Temperature and humidity are two separate things.

Hot dry air is fire weather. Hot humid air is flood weather. I wonder if there's some sort of common factor here...

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Hot dry air is fire weather. Hot humid air is flood weather. I wonder if there's some sort of common factor here...

I'm talking about the relationship between change in temperature and humidity. So for a given environment, what would be the effects on humidity if the temperature increases or decreases.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Evangelical Disbelief.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

qkkl posted:

I'm talking about the relationship between change in temperature and humidity. So for a given environment, what would be the effects on humidity if the temperature increases or decreases.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=psychrometric+chart

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
The efficiency and success of the Italian aviators in Tripoli are noteworthy, but must not be overvalued. There were no opponents in the air.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I knew it! loving air.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Co-extinctions annihilate planetary life during extreme environmental change

Hot off the presses!

quote:

Climate change and human activity are dooming species at an unprecedented rate via a plethora of direct and indirect, often synergic, mechanisms. Among these, primary extinctions driven by environmental change could be just the tip of an enormous extinction iceberg. As our understanding of the importance of ecological interactions in shaping ecosystem identity advances, it is becoming clearer how the disappearance of consumers following the depletion of their resources — a process known as ‘co-extinction’ — is more likely the major driver of biodiversity loss.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
:gizz:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
The Guardian coming close to saying what we're all aware of but not permitted to discuss:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/14/earth-death-spiral-radical-action-climate-breakdown

quote:

Two tasks need to be performed simultaneously: throwing ourselves at the possibility of averting collapse, as Extinction Rebellion is doing, slight though this possibility may appear; and preparing ourselves for the likely failure of these efforts, terrifying as this prospect is. Both tasks require a complete revision of our relationship with the living planet.

Because we cannot save ourselves without contesting oligarchic control, the fight for democracy and justice and the fight against environmental breakdown are one and the same. Do not allow those who have caused this crisis to define the limits of political action. Do not allow those whose magical thinking got us into this mess to tell us what can and cannot be done.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The International Energy Agency released it's annual World Energy Outlook report. Unfortunately the report itself is paywalled, but the New York Times has a summary as do other outlets. It hits a lot of familiar points, but has some interesting numbers regarding renwable usage in developing nations.

NY Times posted:

Clean Energy Is Surging, but Not Fast Enough to Solve Global Warming
Nov. 12, 2018
Around the world, the electricity sector “is experiencing its most dramatic transformation since its creation more than a century ago,” the report said. One big factor is the rapid growth of wind and solar power.

Over the past five years, the average cost of solar power has declined 65 percent and the cost of onshore wind has fallen 15 percent. The energy agency predicts those prices will keep tumbling as technology improves and governments scale back subsidies. Solar plants are becoming well-placed to outcompete new coal plants almost everywhere.
The agency sees renewable power supplying 40 percent of the world’s electricity by 2040, up from 25 percent today. Even that forecast could prove conservative: In the past, the agency has underestimated the speed at which wind and solar power proliferate.

The report warns, however, that many countries will need to retool their grids to manage the output from wind and solar plants, which run intermittently. That will mean overhauling rules for how electricity markets operate, relying on batteries and gas plants for grid flexibility and exploring new tools like hydrogen storage.
China, which burns half the world’s coal, is making heavy investments in wind, solar, nuclear and natural gas, spurred in part by concerns about air pollution from its coal plants. The agency now projects that China’s coal consumption will plateau around 2025, with renewables overtaking coal as the country’s biggest source of electricity by 2040. And, while countries in Southeast Asia and elsewhere are still drawing up plans to build new coal plants, the agency expects this frenzy of construction to slow sharply after 2020.

But don’t expect coal to disappear altogether. While the era of rapid coal growth is fading, the agency projects that global coal consumption could stay flat for decades. One reason for that: The average coal plant in Asia is less than 15 years old (compared to about 41 years in the United States). Those plants will keep polluting for decades, unless countries decide to retire them early or develop technology to capture and bury their emissions.
Even as the world puts hundreds of millions of new cars on the road, we’re increasingly using less oil to fuel them. The report projects that global oil use for cars will peak by the mid-2020s as countries ratchet up their fuel-economy standards and deploy more electric vehicles.
Even with the impressive recent gains for renewable energy, the world is still far from solving global warming. Global carbon dioxide emissions rose 1.6 percent last year and are on track to climb again this year. The report projects that emissions will keep rising slowly until 2040.

One reason: Carbon-free sources like wind, solar and nuclear power aren’t yet growing fast enough to keep up with rising global energy demand, particularly in places like India and Southeast Asia. That means fossil fuel use keeps growing to fill the gap.

The very rapid decline in renewable prices provides some hope that the developing world can industrialize without carbonizing. This is especially true now that new solar is cheaper than coal (ignoring the whole intermittent production thing, note how the article casually mentions how electrical grids need extensive modification to accommodate large-scale renewable generation). India following the same emissions trajectory as China would make decarbonizing over the next 50 years impossible. However renewable generation is simply not matching surging energy demand, fueled in part by policies to electrify rural regions. The shortfall is made up by fossil fuels, and as the article points out once a coal power plant is built the investors have a significant interest ensuring it operates as long as its profitable.

The IEA also has a site for the 2018 report, with some fun graphs:

Global emissions increasing until 2040 is squarely within the range for the more hellworld-style long-term outcomes.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Wakko posted:

The Guardian coming close to saying what we're all aware of but not permitted to discuss:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/14/earth-death-spiral-radical-action-climate-breakdown

Derrick Jensen should be required reading for everyone who gives a poo poo about doing something, tbqh.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Oh hey, even T-Rex is aware of what's going on and is starting to panic!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What must it feel like to be a teen or in your early 20s right now? I imagine it must be infuriating, just incredibly maddening to watch your future burning up into ash.

I'm in my early 30s and I just feel tired. I'm sad about it but the world sucks enough and I've seen it poo poo on people enough that I can't find it in myself to get truly, passionately furious. Just waiting for the end to come.

But if I were young again I imagine I'd feel entirely different.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

What must it feel like to be a teen or in your early 20s right now? I imagine it must be infuriating, just incredibly maddening to watch your future burning up into ash.

I'm in my early 30s and I just feel tired. I'm sad about it but the world sucks enough and I've seen it poo poo on people enough that I can't find it in myself to get truly, passionately furious. Just waiting for the end to come.

I'm in my mid-30s and assuming you live in a place like the US or Canada or Western Europe you're probably going to live long enough to see your future turn to ash also.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

How are u posted:

Early 30's isn't old, what the gently caress.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

How are u posted:

Just listen to "We Didn't Start The Fire" and accept that every early-twenties group grew up with something horrifying they thought would end the world.

Except our kids will actually be right. :haw:

quote:

Early 30's isn't old, what the gently caress.

This too, by the way. Go lift a weight or two and you'll be in the prime of your fash-smashin' years! :v:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Wakko posted:

I liked this part:

George Monbiot posted:

I don’t believe such a collapse is yet inevitable, or that a commensurate response is either technically or economically impossible. When the US joined the second world war in 1941, it replaced a civilian economy with a military economy within months. As Jack Doyle records in his book Taken for a Ride, “In one year, General Motors developed, tooled and completely built from scratch 1,000 Avenger and 1,000 Wildcat aircraft … Barely a year after Pontiac received a navy contract to build anti-shipping missiles, the company began delivering the completed product to carrier squadrons around the world.” And this was before advanced information technology made everything faster.
Complete catastrophe is still avoidable, but it cannot be done via capitalism as usual. Something like a WWII style command economy is required. Climate change mitigation is still technically a political problem rather than constrained by physical realities, but the political solution requires changing society's economic structure.

Regarding the IEA report, it's just amazing how out-of-touch the Paris Agreement goals were/are:

The left plot shows what politicians agreed to, the blue-line on the right plot shows what people actually looking at energy generation trends think is maybe potentially possible after significant reform (plot from here). The right-plot green line is what might be possible after unprecedented unicorn-chasing emissions reductions. Existing and current construction from energy generation alone already excludes the Paris Agreement 1.5C goal, unless people seriously believe Gt-scale negative emission capacity will be brought online between now and 2040.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Nocturtle posted:

Complete catastrophe is still avoidable, but it cannot be done via capitalism as usual. Something like a WWII style command economy is required. Climate change mitigation is still technically a political problem rather than constrained by physical realities, but the political solution requires changing society's economic structure.

Even if one country or two get all gung-ho about it, how do you get the rest of the world to follow suit? Even the threat of war wouldn't be enough, and if war does happen, how do you get all the economies running again after its end (if they manage to end it fast enough)? All the solutions seem to depend on somewhat healthy economies.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

DrNutt posted:

I'm in my mid-30s and assuming you live in a place like the US or Canada or Western Europe you're probably going to live long enough to see your future turn to ash also.

I'm well aware of that!

e: I'm trying to say that, not being a "youth" anymore, I'm a lot more inclined to feel resigned and sad instead of outraged. I imagine it must be unbearable to be a teen or early twenty-something and to have all of that passion and energy and zest for life and looking ahead to a long future that I had back then.

How are u fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 14, 2018

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Nocturtle posted:

The shortfall is made up by fossil fuels, and as the article points out once a coal power plant is built the investors have a significant interest ensuring it operates as long as its profitable.

Natural gas plants are honestly a bigger problem since they're being sold as a lower emissions alternative to coal (which they are), but since they aren't zero emissions they're still part of the problem rather than the solution and we're continually bringing new plants online that will emit for decades and decades. Tearing down profitable, relatively new infrastructure is basically unprecedented on the scale that's needed.

At least most people are willing to admit that coal is bad.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gmq posted:

Even if one country or two get all gung-ho about it, how do you get the rest of the world to follow suit? Even the threat of war wouldn't be enough, and if war does happen, how do you get all the economies running again after its end (if they manage to end it fast enough)? All the solutions seem to depend on somewhat healthy economies.

US/China/EU are pretty much the big three political blocs that need to change. Resource extraction nations like Saudia Arabia aren't going to be dictating much if nobody wants to buy oil for burning.

The above three blocs can lean *hard* on Brazil and the DRC, if needed. How to get the top three to get moving in sync is the biggie.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

hmm let me input this idea of slowly rising emissions until 2040 into this highly advanced climate simulation I have laying around

hmm the output is just "lmao" I wonder what that means?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The Dipshit posted:

US/China/EU are pretty much the big three political blocs that need to change. Resource extraction nations like Saudia Arabia aren't going to be dictating much if nobody wants to buy oil for burning.

I think of those three China is the only one that actually has the political capability to mobilize quick enough to do something (but that doesn't mean they will). The USA has a climate change denier as president for two more years (if not 6).

So... welp?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The hyper-wealthy have sealed themselves inside bubbles of opulence. Our system risks literal human extinction to preserve those bubbles.

What a poo poo system.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Accretionist posted:

The hyper-wealthy have sealed themselves inside bubbles of opulence. Our system risks literal human extinction to preserve those bubbles.

What a poo poo system.

We're not allowed to talk about the necessary solution.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gmq posted:

I think of those three China is the only one that actually has the political capability to mobilize quick enough to do something (but that doesn't mean they will). The USA has a climate change denier as president for two more years (if not 6).

So... welp?

Out of a dozen years. Yeah, we'll be cutting it more than a little close. On the positive side, maybe some CCS might make it out of the R&D pipeline into something usable for rapid deployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

How are u posted:

We're not allowed to talk about the necessary solution.

Let's be honest, talking about the necessary solution puts you out of the running for ever putting it into action. You have that conversation, you are now on a list and you are going to have a bad time.

People like me, who have been posting high and low for a solid decade about how we need to take immediate direct action against the ruling class? We're hosed, we are first against the wall when things start really falling apart and states go full authoritarian to maintain control. That is how it has always played out - the known dissidents die first.

Our only hope is that a bunch of kids in diapers right now are smart enough to keep their mouths shut online for the next decade and put their phones in Faraday boxes when meeting up.