Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Blowdryer posted:

Authors and affiliations:

I mean, that looks legit - coming from a position of near-ignorance as to reliable authorities on climate change, that is. Mind you, perhaps the implications are meaningless in the long run given the degree of change and its causes, so they haven't exactly published a beacon of hope anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Rime posted:

Wasting time responding to Arkane is a fools errand, just put him on ignore and move along.

We have bigger things to worry about, like Falling oceanic oxygen levels.

I seem to remember reading about something like this years ago. That chemistry of the oceans or atmosphere could get all hosed up cause of climate change. Not sure how you could adapt to that one on any level.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
What exactly is this apocalypse supposed to look like? People keep loosing their poo poo in this thread and you wonder if they're invisaging zombies or locusts or 25/7/365 rain but there's never anything specific. I've read stuff from weather and climate getting more extreme and sea levels rising so farming and living in the same places gets harder to someone saying the composition of the atmosphere could suddenly change and we'll all suffocate. Can someone go over what the various results of the worst case scenario are likely to be, if there's any certainty?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Hello Sailor posted:

Yeah, I think he's off the mark. The NSIDC graphs for arctic and antarctic sea ice don't match his at all.

e: Went and looked at the twitter post that had the graph. He even includes the same two NSIDC images. I have no idea how he's combining them to get that.

e2: What the gently caress. Look at the totals. Eight million arctic and fifteen million antarctic makes twenty-three million right now. This dude's own graph only ever reached twenty-three million in the 1980s.

So the graph Beck posted is of dubious veracity? Why are people still panicking about it ITT

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

brakeless posted:

Because area and extent are two different measurements, lookie here:

Okay thanks, so the area the ice is occupying is normalish but it's suddenly full of holes. That does suck

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Blorange posted:

We knew this was going to happen, satellites measuring the area of the ice just leaves estimates of the overall volume of sea ice. It was melting over the past 20 years, it's just now that we've run out of ice beneath the waves and get this crazy falloff. The scary part is we don't really know how the higher surface water temperatures will affect climate, and how the lower albedo of sea water will feedback into more warming.

I was kind of wondering how come 1/4-1/3 of the ice being measured turned to mush in 3 months. Guess it's impossible to actually monitor all the ice in detail all the time.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well, that's pretty clear, then. Any measure that means intentional reduction in quality of life (as opposed to natural :capitalism:) is unrealistic and therefore not worth considering.

The best part is that if the edifice collapses, Thug and OOCC and Orange Sunshine will not blame people for refusing to reduce overall use of energy and resources, but rather the ~deluded anarcho-primitivists~ for poisoning the well of ideas and failing to come up with functional solutions.

Can you describe how you envisage people behaving in your idea of what should happen?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Car Hater posted:

Tbh I don't comprehend your insistince that real solutions be bounded by human desires (particularly those of a globetrotting elite consumer class) and not "whatever is necessary to keep the seasons stable and crops maturing."

How do you propose to get people to work against their desires? What propaganda do you imagine persuading people to materially harm themselves? How do you stop it being countered? How does your effort deal with capitalism organising against you? Why isn't this being done already given how easy it is to point out the problems of capitalism?
None of that is apparent when you describe your ideas. It is very easy to point out that capitalism is bad then name solutions without even describing how they work. There is a history of this.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

StabbinHobo posted:

oh come on its 2018 and we're still doing the "here's some article i read about hydrogen with nothing but vague quotes" thing

time is up, batteries are good enough. if they dont meet your range requirements, gently caress you, sprawl is part of the problem too.

Batteries aren't really good enough though quite yet. Still not cheap enough, and not terribly green to produce I've heard. It's taking long enough for cheap everyday electric cars to appear that if hydrogen vehicles are cheap enough to produce there could be an opportunity, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Rime posted:

That stems from a fundamental lack of understanding in the supply chain complexity for something as simple as a steam engine or lubricated bearings.

That being said, this is also radically off topic and historically a dead end for discussion.

So: Scientists ponder risk of abrupt climate shift (Yale Climate Connections)

This would, of course, kill pretty much every species on earth. :)

I'm glad you put a smiley in there to lessen the blow! Good for you for supporting discussion like that