Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't be guaranteed but at least it would have a REASONABLE chance, as opposed to nil.

To put it another way, I don't want to have to fight, hurt people or perform extensive physical labor to survive. I don't even exercise (apart from a daily 30 min walk) or cook, for crying out loud.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

Get over it, dude. What exactly is it about global human civilisation that you're so invested in anyways?

I care about scientific progress. I care about gaining more and more knowledge. I care about things getting progressively better which all of a sudden everyone is suddenly telling me was just a lie. I don't understand why I am considered such an outlier: I was born in an apparently anomalous era of unprecedented peace and prosperity and now I am facing all of that being taken away from me. Meanwhile my parents were born in a dictatorship and have seen everything go better their entire lives and will go peacefully to their graves without seeing that perspective challenged. I would trade places with them instantly if I could.

Who cares if it's an anomaly? I was brought and raised to see this as truth and my brain cannot accept otherwise. I don't want to live in some village digging in the dirt for 12 hours a day to grow food. I don't want to talk to people about the weather or the latest bandit attack or whatever. I cannot stand what most people talk about 90% of the time, which is NOTHING ("How was your weekend?" "I went to a nice place on vacation" "Why do people keep repairing this street?"). And that is right now, imagine in the post collapse. Modern human civilization is 90% of the reason why I am still alive (other 10% is not wanting to cause grief to others by my death).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Again, HOW DO YOU PEOPLE HANDLE LIVING LIKE THIS? I need to know. My therapist keeps giving me the "things will work out somehow" spiel. Am I supposed to get a therapist that magically makes me afraid of death far more than living in hell? Am I supposed to keep on going like nothing is wrong? The only reason I don't go out and create some sort of "voluntary euthanasia for everyone because climate change will collapse society" group is because I'm afraid of being institutionalized.

I just don't understand. People keep saying "we're all going to die, we're all going to suffer, etc", but the minute I bring up euthanasia I'm the crazy one. Why is it insane to prefer a complete lack of everything to pure pain 99% of your day?

Sorry for the rambling, I am trying to figure out what the hell I am supposed to do with my life that still magically allows me to be an introverted video game and internet afficionado. Even if it's an impossible task.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Chadzok posted:

you'll be fine, it's the poor people that will suffer. don't be such a negative nelly.
also why is global society all that great anyway? who cares if it collapses, by the sounds of it you personally would be better off without up-to-the-minute facebook news, you'll be too busy keeping raiders away from your chicken pens. It'll be awesome.

No, it's not. I don't even have the energy to cook, let alone fight raiders. And why adopt a healthier lifestyle if it's to get to the fighting bit? One of the things that honestly baffles me about modern society is that people are unhappier than ever yet are obsessed with living longer. If I end up dying of a heart attack before the collapse, that's great!

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 3, 2017

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

cosmicprank posted:

Is it bad that the most alarming thing to me is just how few people actually post in this thread relative to some of the others? Most important topic, no one loving cares.

I think I have just gone horribly numb by now. I haven't looked at any of the links marked "please don't read if you're suicidal/Aceofflames", though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So why exactly should I care about anything then? I already have no friends, no SO and if I get one it's just another person I have to defend. I don't understand why keep fighting in this case. What is so special about the process of living? Why fight a war that has been lost? I genuinely want to know. Is it an instinct that I don't have? Is it a possible subconscious religious thing? I know if there turns out to be a God He will have to beg for my forgiveness.

I don't understand. Please help me understand.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Honj Steak posted:

Being alive is a cool and good thing. It's definitely unusual that you don't cherish that fact and it hints at a depressive mental condition.

I like being alive. But in the context of a modern society. One where I don't have to struggle to survive. One in which I don't need to be physically strong. One in which I don't have to dig in the dirt for 12 hours a day to feed myself. One in which I as long as I stay out of but the most dangerous places in the planet I don't have to worry about being raped or murdered. One in which I have videogames, TV, movies, thousands of books contained in a device that fits in the palm of my hand.

That is the life I am used to. The same that I cannot bear the thought of going away. I know I am not like other people. When the thin veneer of society falls, those who are different for any reason are the first to be exploited and hurt by the rest. And I cannot be any different. How can any sane person not be depressed by that?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Like, if you can't find that walking in a park is nice or talking with friends for hours is nice, that's the first front you need to work on advancing, period. Also I can tell you therapy is actually pretty useful from personal experience.

I do go for walks often and do I do enjoy talking with friends. Unfortunately most of them moved away. Working on getting new ones.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 21, 2017

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Post-apocalypse survivalist types have always puzzled me a little

I mean there's barely any point to being alive now, let alone when civilization goes belly-up

This.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Unormal posted:

Honestly coming from city life when I finally realized how goddamn amazing farm animals were I was pretty gasp-out-loud shocked.

Chickens turn BUGS INTO EGGS?

Sheep turn GRASS INTO CLOTHES?

Horses turn GRASS INTO TRANSPORT AND HEAVY LABOR?

Pigs turn GARBAGE INTO BACON?

Like holy poo poo these pre-industrial folks had something good going. We done hosed it up good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edit: Nvm.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 25, 2017

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I don't get angry. I just get sad.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So someone please tell me again why I should not purposely avoid all emotional investment in people and achievements so I am fully ready to die when the time comes?

To be more precise, is there a completely reason based argument for living in a situation where things are certain to get worse?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Groper posted:

Enjoy your time with family and loved ones

Family is bossy and controlling, have no one else.

The Groper posted:

speak of your convictions when opportunity presents itself

Hardly anyone ever speaks to me.

The Groper posted:

and if you need a reason, change your life so you can contribute to things that will benefit people 7 generations from now

I don't own a car and refuse to have children. I refuse to go vegan since food is one of the few joys I have left.

The Groper posted:

Humans will (narrowly) survive this, even in a much hotter world, but our civilization won't

For me civilization IS humanity. If humanity is going to remain at a medieval tech level for the rest of its existence then might as well nuke the world right now.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

i think we know why

Well, I don't go around talking to people about this, hence why I complain about it so much here.

Anyone here listen to S-Town? The main character so to speak is also horribly depressed over climate change. I was hoping that podcast had a solution to that despair but of course it does not.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 12, 2017

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There was a real loving cool show about that sort of thing. Fortitude.

I need to check if season two is a thing because it'll help prepare me for my inevitable future.

Edit: it's loving out :stare: Guess I know what I'm doing this week!

It's also the subject of the creator of XCOM's upcoming game:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BattleMoose posted:

One paper I read freaked me out so much I had to just stop, and take a nap. I am not sure what you are expecting but there is some seriously depressing stuff in the peer reviewed literature.

My dad is getting a PhD in climate change. He goes to multiple conferences. I never see him discuss anything and whenever the topic drifts to potential consequences, he always jokes about it or comes up with some weird excuses. I wonder if he's getting ripped off, if there is something he is not telling us or if he doesn't care because he's over 60 (or maybe he think we can go to some farmland we have. I'd rather die than farm, though) . I am utterly baffled yet I am genuinely afraid of confronting him about this.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 24, 2017

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

Based 100% on your posting history here:
Your dad knows that you are are very easily depressed and can't handle that level of information at once without overreacting, talking about Mad Max scenarios and needlessly contemplating suicide. He knows that you and your kin will have among the best possible conditions in the world for tackling this creeping inevitable change and will talk to you more about it when you are out of your current depression. In short, he cares about your well-being and wants you to take your pills.

I'm sorry but you are dead wrong.

My dad knows absolutely nothing about my feelings. One time when I was in college I mentioned feeling depressed and both my parents claimed I was making it up so I'd have an excuse to drop out of college. I have never had any sort of discussion about emotions with my dad in my life. In fact we barely speak to each other. Maybe my mom has an inkling since I have had outbursts I'm front of her but never mentioned suicide or mad max scenarios (at most I mentioned disparate articles like the clathrates or ice shelf collapse to my mom until one day she just screamed at me "If things are so bad why don't you kill yourself? Because your pessimism makes ME want to kill myself!". I avoided the subject ever since.)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Burt Buckle posted:

Is the transformation of our atmosphere into an unbreathable gas a real possibility? I can live with the idea of a massive reduction in the number of humans and even the collapse of modern civilization as we know it, but the complete extinction of our species bums me out.

Maybe I'm crazy, but extinction to me is better than the collapse of civilization. Just the thought of people living and dying their entire lives in ignorance, killing, oppressing and promoting hatred and bigotry like barely evolved animals instead of pushing the boundaries of science and expanding outwards into the universe sickens me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Also, what the hell kind of future are you imagining where advancement just stops happening? Wait, no, I'm wrong here. You're not talking about advancement in general, you're only talking about the poo poo that feeds your sci-fi dreams. The poo poo that makes you, you specifically, go 'wow, this is like sooo cool'. Humanity can keep developing its culture, its legal and ethical systems, its medical technology, information technology - but no, it has to happen at the exponential rate that is the right and proper way of things, the way you were raised on, yes?

Do you honestly believe that ethics and social progress will ''keep going'' as everything progresses? Think of the progress we've been having in the past few decades regarding things like women's and minorities rights. One of the biggest enhancers of that is communication technology that allows those groups to organize. If that goes away, we're back to square one. Husbands will start beating their wives since there's less police to stop them, they have no where to go and no where to stop them. Parents and other children will try to fix and exclude gay people. You can rightly point out that all that stuff is happening now but at least it gives them a chance to escape. Not to mention how once medical knowledge is lost, we'll be back to the local healer who knows these roots or whatever.

I'm not arrogant enough to say technological progress is the end all be all of progress period but if that falls, everything else falls with it. That to me is the tragedy. Everyone's lives will be hell. I don't understand how having a life comprised of 99.999% suffering is preferrable to non existence.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

The problem here is that GLORY OR EXTINCTION types are only seeing a full Mad Max future.

There is no Mad Max future, not in the long term anyway, as exciting as that sounds to the fantasy-prone mind. We're heading towards a mix between a more agrarian society (something akin to a much less extreme version of Interstellar) and hypercapitalist Mordor.

I know it sucks and even worse, it's boring, but that's just how it is. It's exceptionally childish to believe that because upheaval would cause our current global civilization to collapse, that humanity will suddenly regress to some kind of pre-industrial anarchist dystopia - there's just poo poo that's too valuable to go away, so stuff like global communications is here to stay even if it gets temporarily disrupted by wars or whatnot.

I don't want anarchist dystopia but even what you describe I believe will cause major regression in the mean time. I'm picturing the current situation of the Middle East spread out throughout the world, religious fanatics included, only suited to the region in question.

Also, should we just accept the coming technological regression? I have the chance to pursue a Machine Learning degree, which is a field I find fascinating. Should I ditch that and learn how to woodwork or something?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 30, 2017

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

He's Dutch.

I'm not, I just work in the Netherlands. FYI.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ol Standard Retard posted:

The opportunity to live out a fantasy and have an all-consuming threat to fight to your (probably literal) dying breath against. As much as I'd prefer to remain alive, if it's going down this way I'm thrilled to not waste away demented in a nursing home like my parents and grandparents did.

I don't get this. What is the loving point of fighting a battle that you know you will lose?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Burt Buckle posted:

Couldn't you say the same thing in ideal conditions though? Even if the environment was in great shape we all eventually 'lose' (die)

Yes, but then you'd direct your efforts into an actual legacy. An enduring work, a scientific discovery, a family. Yes, technically entropy claims us all but at least it would LAST. With this, why should I get a career if I know I will lose it in the inevitable collapse? Why get an SO if it means having someone to defend in the chaos? Why have children if they will live in pain? Why research something that will just be lost knowledge? I guess if you enjoy the process of it, you could get something out of it, but I have always been focused on results.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm on a waiting list. Thanks for your concern.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Even not going full vegan, but just trying to reduce to say like 5%-10% intake is met with shock by friends/family. It is just so strongly counter-culture that people think I've lost it. Mind these same are people that at least believe in climate change and have at least taken some personal steps to reduce consumption, fuel usage or whatever.

I know a lot of vegetarians but whenever I mention to my mom that I am reducing the amount of meat I eat, she immediately goes "Don't you DARE stop eating meat!"

Never understood why.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 10, 2017

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Turn it into a giant carbon nanotube shaft for a space elevator.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

StabbinHobo posted:

its an absolutely insane way to approach life and learning. forget the topic at hand, lets make up a fake topic: blurgsparting

if your process looks like this:
- come across more and more mentions of blurgsparting, notice its getting popular
- notice that most people (read: median dumbass on the internet) seem to be saying things your default skeptical mindset flags as warnings
- poo poo all over anyone trying to point out or learn about the more realistic underlying truth to the blurgsparting topic that made it come up in the first place

just loving get off the world your brain is broken

FTFY (reflecting my experience at least).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hey, remember how Tesla batteries were proof that Elon Musk totally cares about the climate?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/29/16383048/elon-musk-spacex-rocket-transport-earth-travel

gently caress. ELON. MUSK.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guess I jumped the gun then. Sorry. It's been a bad week.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Xeom posted:

Pick up an instrument, gently caress your girlfriend/boyfriend, read some great literature, do whatever it is the gently caress you've been wanting to do.

I learned piano as a kid but then grew to loathe it; I never had a girlfriend and if things are so bad as they seem, I don't want to add someone else I will have to defend in the collapse; and I have no dreams.

Xeom posted:

Stop playing video games and buying useless poo poo you don't need, stop wasting time.

Those are literally the only things that bring me joy, or at least numb the despair.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

You know what honestly gnaws at me? My father is CONSTANTLY going to climate-related conferences. At least one a year! And he says NOTHING to me, or my mom, nothing. My mom goes with him but doesn't understand English so she has no idea if the people around her are despairing or not. I wish I had the courage to ask him what the hell is going on but I can't. And from the little he does say, apparently they think they can cope just fine, or at the very least "this will only affect poor people". What kind of charade are these people living in?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

the old ceremony posted:

aof i will be your internet girlfriend if that makes you happy, we're in different hemispheres so you don't have to defend me and we never have to touch each other but once a month i'll send you a photo of an egg. you need something to live for

No thank you. Nice of you to offer, though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Blockade posted:

The world's not going to instantly turn into Mad Max, even if things get really bad where you are you're likely going to live or die by your social connections

If things get that bad I don't want to live anyway.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

If you're not even that interested in living then why do you spend so much time freaking out about how bad the future is?

Because I don't want to die in agony. If I wasn't afraid of getting institutionalized, arrested, or just losing my job and family by association, I'd be hardcore campaigning for free euthanasia for anyone who requests it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

Well most people who get shot by automatic weaponry die pretty quick, why not just live your drat life and then when everything falls apart and your country goes full-on fascist or gets invaded by one of the other ones that beat you to it just get shot when the time comes? Why spend so much time worrying about it?

For the most part I don't. Every so often (like now) though, the realization just makes me essentially grieve for our potential as a species. We could have expanded out towards the stars. We could have had a perfect society. Instead, we have this.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I certainly am.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Minge Binge posted:

Don't let yourself wallow in misery. Take solace in the fact that you got free tickets to one of the biggest events in the history of the universe. God bless!

I understand the mentality and would agree if I was somehow unaware that as all of this is happening, I would be either starving, tortured and/or raped to death along with everyone else.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Squalid posted:

You are severely ill. It is the time of year SAD begins affecting people's mood, please be sure you are adhering to a treatment plan for your depression.

I have been spending the past few months going through a LONG diagnostic process despite having explicitly told the doctors that I didn't mind if I dropped dead. You'd think the process would be speedier in these cases.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

If all the doom and gloom was wrong, this would still be true.

Even people who earnestly believe the world is heading towards the total collapse of civilization, or into vicious internecine wars, or global thermonuclear exchange, or what-have-you, will still somehow delude themselves into thinking their children might face some hardship but overall will be okay. They can't function otherwise.

Normalcy bias is one hell of a drug.

a colleague once told me that he was worried that his daughter will never have a job in her lifetime. I was internally screaming "then why the hell did you HAVE one? Abortion is perfectly legal in this country!".

I just plain don't undrstand how people can be deluded enough into accepting responsibility for an entire human life in good times let alone now. Anyone who willingly reproduces is condeming an innocent human to a lifetime lf misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

TACD posted:

“stop eating red meat or you’ll have a heart attack”

I loving hope it does for me before the world goes to utter poo poo.