Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress yeah, Lisbon is gonna make it. Suck it, other coastal nations. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

well then you're a fool, obviously

a dunce, a complete poltroon

Please elaborate. As I mentioned earlier I honestly do not understand why we should be happy that living things devoid of sentience live while we do not. Animals kill, rape and destroy their environment just as much if not more so than humans yet because they do not understand what they are doing that makes them superior to us?

Don’t get me wrong, we should live in harmony with the Earth because otherwise we get our current situation but what value does it have besides allowing us to live here?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 25, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I would prefer total extinction of mankind than be reduced to barbarism, if only because the latter would lead to so much more suffering perpetuated for hundreds maybe thousands of years. For all our faults now we are at the most peaceful and (overall) tolerant time in history and for all that progress to be erased is unbearable to me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

froglet posted:

Can anyone say... feedback loops?

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2691/far-northern-permafrost-may-unleash-carbon-within-decades/#.Wp2t4PRSWl8.twitter

This just makes me so, so sad... It's genuinely upsetting that the most powerful people in the world are choosing to do nothing.

The medication must be working because now I read stuff like this and I feel eerily calm.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Just don’t have kids. The most unforgivable thing you can do if doom someone else to live in hell all for the sake of your personal biological urges/desire to have someone to take care of you in old age.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

If you're doing all those, or some of those, things but feel like that you shouldn't read this thread. I mean people in general shouldn't, but you definitely shouldn't

Everyone should know this info, especially the younger generation, so they can make an informed decision as to whether they want to be around to see it all they know and all they build crumble in front of their eyes.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mozi posted:

Hey, look at the glass half full - out of the over 1.5 million years of human existence on this Earth, our children will get to watch the end! Isn't that exciting!

My niece turned two last week. I hope that she will have the means to adapt to or escape the coming horrors.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

call to action posted:

Is that right? If so, can someone hold my hand and walk me through the 'I should have kids and live a normal life' thinking?

Do whatever the gently caress you want but for God's sake, don't loving have kids. They won't solve climate change, they will most likely put you in a home despite your protests, and will most likely have views you cannot hope to understand, all of this in addition to living in a hellscape. There is literally zero reason to have children. Zero.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest I am seriously starting to believe most people have children because they are BORED. If you’re not a workaholic and don’t have a really intense hobby, at some point you can have all this time remaining. People avoid adopting because either they want something "theirs" or because it's too much of a long and expensive hassle. It’s hosed up.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 4, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

also your kids will live lives of unspeakable poverty and suffering and die cursing your name, assuming you don't do any of the dozens of other things to make them hate you before the world ends

Not empty quoting.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Most of the current problems in first world countries can be directly traced to the decisions and culture of relatively close generations (e.g. the Boomers). Do you intend to die cursing your parents/grandparents name?

Definitely.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

call to action posted:

You're not going to argue a parent or parent-to-be out of how fundamental their experience is to the human condition. Why did they sacrifice the good years of their life to raise another human being, if it's not the most important thing a person can do?

Also why so many parents pressure their children to give them grandkids: "I went through all this crap and so must you! Plus, I get all the benefits of doting on a little kid while you get all the work!"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Minge Binge posted:

I used to travel a lot. and it didn't make me a better person. In fact, my yearly need to go on these foreign vacations to fullfill some bizarre desire to experience strange and different things probably made me worse off. I only became a better person by becoming involved with my local community.

I don’t know if this is a us thing but at no point in my life have I experienced anything akin to a “local community”. I have lived in big cities all my life and I never had neighbors come to visit other than the odd request for eggs or something, never seen any local events, nothing. Is the climate apocalypse supposed to bring people together for survival? Because all I anticipate is even more tribalism and violence to thos who are different. I have no tribe, no one has ever invited me to join their tribe, I have no idea how to create a tribe (and all those things are even compounded by the fact that I currently live in a country in which I was not born and I probably could not fit in back home if I tried) What hope is there for shut ins like me?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I myself visit my home country twice a year and don’t do vacations alone. While I agree air travel is part of the problem I do think there are a lot of issues with banning it entirely.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So where is a good place for me, a Portuguese citizen to escape to? I currently live in the Netherlands which will likely end up underwater and apparently most of Portugal will become desert. As mentioned earlier in this thread, most of Europe will become fascist so one single mention of my name will be enough to send me to a camp. What are my options?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Car Hater posted:

The Netherlands has absolutely kick-rear end water control measures, you're better off there than most places, and everywhere will get fashy when the constraints are on, make all the connections you can with both locals and immigrants.

Unfortunately I'm quite the shut in. Hope my therapist can fix it in time.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

You’ve been posting for like months that they’re going to round up all the Portugese into camps any day now. It’s not going to happen dude. You’re insane

Not "any day now", I am thinking long term here. Yes, as a white person I am definitely safer than many others but is it really that crazy to assume that once the more "obvious" (read, browner) minorities are dealt with they won't simply keep looking for scapegoats? I definitely heard one or two mention of "those lazy Southerners" in my time here, that poo poo can morph into something far worse. Not saying it will happen in 5, 10 or even 20 years, but I think it likely will.

EDIT: Also, I'm not afraid of "camps", more like being beaten on the street.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 15, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

StabbinHobo posted:

If you're <25 then your ill-formed brain can probably still be worked with, but if this post was the result of a fully formed adult then I'm sorry its too late we have to reclaim your water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6Ak1DYReI

I have a better one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe1-bx8oFN4

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ok, it's probably time to address my main bugaboo (I might have already done this several times already but whatever). What exactly is going to be the landscape 20-30 years from now? Is there going to be a full civilizational collapse? Is every nation going to become fascist? Which nation's in Europe are going to be relatively safe (specifically Portugal, Netherlabds, Germany and Norway?) This issue is legitimate ly making me think there is no point to the future and I'd rather die than spend my days digging dirt to farm and talking about nothing BUT farming or the weather or whatever people talk about without communication, books or the Internet.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wakko posted:

Detach yourself from the cult of progress and adopt an ethos that lets you find some measure of joy in the astonishingly short period that you and all other humans will exist.

In the interest of not making this thread about me, I have put my reply in a more appropriate place.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862224&pagenumber=2#post486299161

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Also :toxx: I will never post in this thread again for my sanity and of those reading this.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OK, I am breaking the drat toxx because who the hell cares. I have seen this topic pervade other threads so more money for Lowtax's spine I guess.

Socks4Hands posted:

Welcome to my ideology.

Edit: In all honesty, the Deep Adaptation article is an incredible read. Supplementing it, I'd like to share the blog post its author responded with following its failure to pass peer review:
https://jembendell.wordpress.com/2018/07/26/the-study-on-collapse-they-thought-you-should-not-read-yet/

See, when faced with stuff like this, I see NO answers. I want to know exactly what am I supposed to do on my day to day life. I don't want to farm. I don't want to move to some small town with no power. All of m,y interests involve electricity. I don't care about animals, I don't care about nature. I care about discussing deep topics, but I am not willing to be some small town's librarian. People are consistently intimidated by the depth of the topics I like to talk about. What the hell am I supposed to DO then?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Accretionist posted:

If you can't answer this question in relation to yourself, how can you answer it in relation to climate change? The latter's adapted from the former.

I don't get this line of thinking. Allow me to explain further.

When I was a kid I thought I was going to change the world and contribute to scientific progress. Then I learn that collapse is imminent. I keep hearing things like "live your life", "keep fighting and don't stop" or "spend time with the people you love" but I don't see how I can accomplish any of them with a time limit for human civilization ticking on.

"Live your life": I don't have a lot of hobbies. I like the occasional video game, I like reading, I like staying informed about current events, I like discussing deep ideas. All of those will be rendered irrelevant when climate change rolls around. All deep ideas will be forgotten in favor of "hey the bandits are coming" and "the weather might not be poo poo enough to allow us to grow crops". I despise all sports.

"Keep fighting the good fight": I don't fight battles I know I will lose. I don't understand the usefulness of a moral victory. I don't believe in any God and thus in my view, we will all simply have our consciousness end no matter what we do. If any God exists and decides that I should be punished for "cowardice", "inaction" or otherwise failing a test I never consented to taking, They are not a God worth worshipping.

"Spend time with the people you love": I was heavily ostracized as a child and thus never learned how to make friends. All friends I have are people who befriended me and they have been slowly moving away since we live in separate countries. My parents are heavily controlling and will likely die before the real bad things happen. If I were to acquire any additional relationships, they would be additional liabilities: people who could either abandon or betray me. Even if they don't do either, they are people I would have to defend from the approaching horrors.

I am currently in therapy but any time I mention subjects such as this or the rise of fascism, I get a clearly rehearsed response of "We are not here to talk about the 'content' of the causes of your problems. What matters is the 'process' in which you deal with them". What am I supposed to do differently then?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DrNutt posted:

You need to be better about listening to your therapist. The truth is that you are probably pretty unlikely to be eaten by raiders in your lifetime if you currently live in the developed world.

Also, I am not a therapist, but it really does sound like the externalities (climate change, fascism) are things that you have latched on to and attached to your already existing mental health issues. You should probably request a permaban from these forums and stop spending any of your leisure time online if you can't resist putting your hand on the stove.

A permaban would just make things worse. This is the only place where I can talk about this sort of thing. Where else am I going to go?

I know I bother a lot of people here, but at least here I feel like I don't get dismissed right out of hand. Heck, that Deep Adaptation paper even mentioned people fearing mentioning these views would invite ostracism. I certainly cannot talk about this IRL.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I do not agree with your assessment given that based on your conversations here you tend to ignore the advice and recommendations of people who are much more well-informed than you. If you just need a place to vent you could go poo poo up e/n but really I think not being online so much would be better for your mental health. Lift weights, cook food, gently caress, take walks, get a hobby that doesn't involve consuming media, basically anything besides getting online and reading about how things are hosed.

FWIW I think I can handle the bad news much better than I used to. Before this used to literally wreck me for days on end, now it's much more punctual in nature. One day I will find my answer. I know it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I am an expat and still dont speak the local language. Working on it though (currently getting the A2 certificate).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

AceofFlame in literally any thread is such a Goon In The Well

This made me laugh. Thank you so much.

StabbinHobo posted:

can we get that script made/animated on fiver or something

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

No, it definitely makes people depressed.

I went to school for chemical engineering and environmental science, so a lot of the classes I took had people who were going for pure science degrees and a lot of those people were doing environmental/climate concentrations. I've been out of school for years now and none of the people I met and kept in contact with were sad sacks at the time, but a whole lot of them are now. A girl I dated briefly and stayed in touch with called me out of the blue (literally the only time I had spoken to her in years outside of text/email) a couple of years ago in tears because her and her fiancee had decided they couldn't in good conscience ever have children and she didn't know who else to talk to about it. She's doing a phd in some kind of atmospheric research.

A lot of other people I've stayed in touch with basically only ever talk to me about bad news, and that 100% was not true five or more years ago. This is a topic that can really gently caress with you no matter how naturally optimistic you are. The fact that there are people in this thread who just want to have their sadbrains validated probably isn't something that's true on a wide scale.

My dad also did a PhD in climate change and kept flying around to various conferences. Every time I talk to him about the subject he always sounds oddly optimistic while throwing a bunch of jargon around. He dismissed the IPCC “we only have 12 years” report as “alarmist nonsense” and dismissed Trump leaving the Paris accords with “state regulations will take care of it”. He ended up not finishing his thesis.

Dunno what the hell he’s been doing. I sometimes wonder if he’s hiding the truth because it’s just so terrible.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Epitope posted:

Na, Sunday is right. I'm not saying we're not doomed, but some of y'all have woven bad news into your identities. The fact that other people aren't sulking means they have healthy emotional states. Let's assume the worst predictions are accurate. That means we're getting to experience what might be the pinnacle of life on this planet. You're allowed to enjoy that. You might find a way to do some good while you're out there. It's as least as likely as sitting around in here moping

Here's the thing: if I go out there and volunteer or become an activist or whatever, it will bring me no results and cause me to make less money than I do right now. I am terrible with money, I waste it on a bunch of stuff but since I make enough I still manage to save 25% of it. I live by myself, don't cook most of the time and that is expensive. I cannot cook not because I don't want to but because I get home too tired to do anything else. And I don't think I have a particularly exhausting job, maybe I just have low energy.

Volunteering with an environmental charity will just make me more depressed about the coming end. I don't care about animals. The only thing that used to give my life meaning is technology and advancing technological and scientific progress but now the world has seemingly conspired to mock it by showing how it can get corrupted to make people's lives worse, so I don't even have that.

It's like the current arc in the Good Place. I just don't get it. If you know you are going to hell, why spend the rest of your days helping the sheep who don't know what's coming instead of doing literally anything else? I guess it's purely a question of if it makes you feel good but for me, I guess it doesn't. I can't force myself to feel something I do not. People around me see when I am distressed (I do it in quite an obvious fashion) and no one goes out of their way to help me. People, in general, seem to be borderline sociopaths who will gleefully elect dictators to keep ethnicities they don't like out of sight. Why should I help them? Should I just dig through the hundreds of lovely people around me to find the one good one? That's just like job hunting or dating websites, both activities I despise. I don't do things that have high chances of failure or low payout.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Okay. What do you get out of posting in this thread and wallowing in depression? What's the "payout" here?

You're literally choosing to do nothing while being utterly miserable, just because doing something has a high chance of failure, which means...what? How is failing to improve things for yourself worse than not trying in the first place and then...still not improving things for yourself? You are clearly unsatisfied with where you are at this point, otherwise you wouldn't be posting these screeds in this thread.

I guess I just want to know what motivates people. What leads someone to willingly fight a losing battle? To lose over and over and not care? To help someone even though they most likely will not care? I guess I just have the illusion that there is a rational motive behind this and that there will be a magical rational argument that will make me see the light but more and more I see that it's a purely hormonal and emotion based response that I do not have.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

AoF the people in this thread can't help you because we all know that the only thing to do is keep living until we die. Even if the Earth's climate changed back to what it was in 1800 tomorrow and stayed that way forever, we would all still die eventually. There's nothing you can do to stop it, so stop loving worrying about it. Find a distraction, get a life, do something else and stop reading climate change news.

I will. Clearly the best course of action is just to ignore all of this and just live my life. gently caress, even something along the lines of OOCC'S Kitten Quest would be an improvement. I just hope I don't get blind to the point that I have children. Sorry to bother you again.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

vorebane posted:

Also, therapy.

I’m already in therapy if that wasn’t clear already.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Don't think Mad Max, think Interstellar.

Interstellar is essentially the best case scenario I envision for mankind and that movie was like a horrific nightmare for me. Whenever I whine about not wanting to dig around in the dirt, that is what I see. The other things like "we don't need engineers, we need food", moon landing conspiracy bullshit being made official to discourage science and people dying because we don't have MRIs made me think "if this is what the future brings, then I hope humanity becomes extinct, since it would be preferable to this barbarism".

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just waiting for a goddamned universal voluntary euthanasia movement. Like, you go to a room, they give you a nice painless injection, the government pays for your funeral and gives some money to charity in exchange for your noble sacrifice and your loved ones celebrate the fact that you are no longer in pain.

I feel like all these articles telling us how screwed we are are in fact people clamoring for the same but no one wants to ACTUALLY propose that because you'd get chucked in a mental institution. So instead we are left with this ridiculous situation that is akin to being trapped in a cage bringing slowly dipped towards a vat of acid with a bunch of people. Everyone keeps screaming about how the a I'd is there, there's nothing we can do,and what a horrible and painful death it will be. But the minute you suggest that people start strangling each other in their sleep or hanging themselves with their shoelaces since it hurts less than the acid, everyone immediately goes "NO! You have so much to live for in this acid cage!" "How can you be so selfish to not want to die horribly along side me? Sure, I will not even talk to you this whole time but your mere PRESENCE is so soothing!" "You are a coward! A REAL man would punch the acid, since dying fighting a worthless battle is the HONORABLE thing to do!" all in a selfish attempt to make themselves feel better about having "saved" someone.

I mean gently caress, I can't avoid climate news no matter what I do. RockPaperShotgun, Polygon, Av Club, Gizmodo, Waypoint, ALL of them can't go for a week without some thinkpiece related to our political and climate Doom. If even hobby sites are infected by doomsaying, the gently caress am I supposed to do? Stare at a wall all day?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 15, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

9-Volt Assault posted:

Get off the internet.

That's easy to say but then how do I know vital stuff to live my life? How do I know if the government is taken over by fascists? If my taxes double? If there is a new job opportunity? Am I supposed to ask my coworkers every single day the news and explain I am willingly cutting myself off from the world for my own sanity?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

TACD posted:

Conversely, trying to find meaning in the everyday lived experience of your life is challenging because it requires really facing up to the choices you’re making and what they imply for the values you think you hold; it means accepting that you probably won’t have much impact on the course of history but you actually can make meaningful changes in your life (once you stop making excuses for why you can’t). It’s certainly something I struggle with.

Doesn't that encourage borderline solipsistic thinking? If only my life matters and everyone thinks the same, then why care about the future? Why care about anyone? It definitely feels to me like most people will ditch you the moment you have problems or no longer "fun" and even your best friends are just one move away from forgetting about you entirely. Am I supposed to put on a happy face and force myself to do things I hate with people who don't care about me because that's what everyone does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People love the end of the world and have been cheering for it for as long as there has been history. Tons of people want time to wrap up around the time their life does, the idea there is going to be people after we die is repellent to people. Global warming is real and bad and will kill millions or even billions of people, but people really really want it to turn off the game or at least simplify it down so the whole world is one thing forever. The idea that there will be a world just as complex as there is now after us is super scary to a lot of people.

And that is the mentality that makes zero sense to me. "If I am not alive, then NO ONE should be!" What, so you care nothing about legacy? About making your mark? About being part of an ever improving human race*? That's pure psychopathy to me.

*Yes, I know everyone is going to rightly jump on me for this but in case it wasn't obvious already the myth of progress is the only thing that sustains me, hence why I am so screwed up. FWIW my mom is even more deluded than I am and completely ignores my warnings about growing fascism because "the world never goes backwards".