Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Is there a website/study that details what a carbon neutral humanity would have to look like? If all seven billion people had the same resources/lifestyle and we weren't going to gently caress up the future in any catastrophic way, what would our lives be like? Preferably one that doesn't presume fusion power or asteroid mining or any such other currently only-in-Elon-Musk's-head type tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Blitz7x posted:

or the great oceanic conveyer belt grinding to a halt

I'm interested in this, surely as the ocean warms it will become more active? More energy in a system=more movement? Does anyone have any not-to-technical things to read about the effect of climate change on large ocean currents?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

That song always reminds me of this thread.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I have also planted a number of trees, and let a big chunk of land go wild, which means about 30 new cherry trees and a shitload of brambles.

Is the world saved yet?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
With regard to the "60 years of farming left" thing. What does that really mean and is it set in stone? I mean, the dustbowl caused all the topsoil to pretty much dry up and blow away, yet there is still farming in the midwest, how does that work?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Grouchio posted:

What, suddenly the chances of scientists discovering how to slow down the aging process in humans (akin to cats' aging slowing down as they get older) within 20 years - have dissappeared? If I could get that life-span before I turn geriatric I would be very pleased with myself.

Well, look at it this way, any tech that would allow a fairly average human being to live a thousand years would probably solve global warming as well, Yay!
Incidentally, a full-on Charles Strossesque tech singularity seems to me the only future with any hope at all so it's probably all rosy for you, unless you get murdered by a stateless climate refugee before we fix everything with fusion and nanotechnology, in which case :( sorry.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Pah, lightweight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVekJTmtwqM

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

navyjack posted:

Isn’t Alaska going to be a giant, horrible swamp when the permafrost melts?

I assumed most of it would wash away leaving behind a gravelly muddy wasteland with starving bears.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Just get Elon Musk to send a huge spaceship to Saturn to grab a big chunk of ice, drop it in the ocean to cool us off like a big old soda pop.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I really can't see a way through climate change other than this that doesn't involve a lot of people dying and/or a lot of countries turning into fascist shitholes. I fell like we really need to go for the whole singularity/nanotech/star trek future because all the others seem like they would be way worse than any Dystopian future we can imagine.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

ChairMaster posted:

This is a fantasy, science is not coming to save us from climate change in time for it to prevent the first sentence of your post. There's no question that fascism is going to be rampant and widespread when poo poo starts going bad, even the comparatively tiny amount of hardship we see now has it popping up all over the place.

Right, but what do we aim for? What are the other options? I accept that poo poo will go very very bad indeed and that the idea that science will save us might well be bullshit, but what's the plan?
Post - scarcity isn't a thing, but it would be nice to think that post-climate change might be, and that we could get there without doing anything too horrible. When the north Indian plain becomes literally uninhabitable where are all those people and their nuclear armed government going to go?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

drilldo squirt posted:

smugly depressed
New thread title please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel really unclear what the goon approved apocolypse fanfiction even is on this one. Pakistan is having a water crisis that is going to get way worse but like, is the idea they are going to nuke then occupy india? Are they going to get real poor then india is going to nuke them? Is the idea just they are both savage animal countries so if things go vaguely wrong they will just mash their face into the nuke buttons?

I would assume that agriculture will fail massively in some climate related fashion and in the ensuing chaos a civil war or ultra-nationalist government (why not both?) will gently caress something up hugely.