Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
the people didn't deserve it, but in a detached way I can see how "mankind" deserves it for our hubris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Good thing we all like concrete!

Isn't concrete curing something like the third biggest greenhouse gas emitting process on earth? If someone can reverse that and still make a good product, that would be brilliant

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQz008BGJ0Y

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Metal roof good?

I don't know why anyone buys tile roofs, galvanised corrugated iron is so good for the job. Is it the noise?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I absolutely do not count the power plant I get power from any sort of consumer choice. Nor do I count getting nuclear power some sort of sacrifice over getting coal power.

I don't know, I elect to pay a 100% renewable provider for my power instead of just getting it from coal plants. They just sent me a letter saying they're dropping their prices by 12% because generation is getting cheaper.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

StabbinHobo posted:

yes yes yes we need to deal with meat but holy gently caress is it wierd how its everyones #1 go to example

START WITH CARS SOLVE CARS

Australia's science agency has done that. They've developed a method of converting hydrogen to ammonia and back, so that bulk hydrogen can be transported as fuel for hydrogen cell electric cars. Now it just need to be adopted everywhere.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/auto/2018/08/17/hydrogen-cars-csiro/

starkebn
May 18, 2004

StabbinHobo posted:

oh come on its 2018 and we're still doing the "here's some article i read about hydrogen with nothing but vague quotes" thing

time is up, batteries are good enough. if they dont meet your range requirements, gently caress you, sprawl is part of the problem too.

The Japanese are getting into it in a big way, so not sure what to tell you :shrug:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but after seeing other articles about the membrane other than the first one I posted here, it is to be used to convert hydrogen from the atmosphere into ammonia, and then back from ammonia into hydrogen at fuelling stations. Sounds like a winner to me, as long as we can get clean sources of electricity to power the conversions.

I probably have to read something other than news snippets and with a more critical eye, to verify if I'm right though. Some time when I'm not on my phone.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

mdemone posted:

Arctic permafrost thawing decades ahead of schedule, check. Arctic permanent sea-ice breaks for the first time, check.

May I expect another catastrophic result sometime soon?

I reckon the unstoppable downward spiral has already begun

starkebn
May 18, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

There was this idea that the carbon tax should just be paid back out to people so that at the store the low-carbon alternative is still cheaper, but people aren't forced to eat the price increase for stuff that they can't find an alternative to

Exactly, impose a heavy carbon tax and fund Universal Basic Income

starkebn
May 18, 2004

And make corporations pay their taxes

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Let's boil the oceans to create permanent cloud cover to reflect as much solar heat as possible

starkebn
May 18, 2004

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1045735420938649600?s=19

Nah goon look how much ice is left. It's fine.

maybe Greenland can finally live up to its name :colbert:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

StabbinHobo posted:

when you say "we" though you really mean "anyone but me" cuz you're not just useless you're actively counter productive

I've been reading both sides of the argument and I don't see how what oocc posts is that unreasonable. From what I can tell he's advocating for big global / government level changes instead of begging people to be "good" for everyone's sake

starkebn
May 18, 2004

If you take everything said on this gay dead forum seriously your brain is broken

starkebn
May 18, 2004

http://www.takepart.com/article/2016/1/19/infographic-paper-waste

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Blanketspace posted:

How many of your grocery buying decisions are influenced by what the person ahead of you in line is purchasing and how stylishly they're staging the packaged food on the checkout belt?

:thejoke:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

you don't like hydro? how about a couple of these things at every town?

https://qz.com/1355672/stacking-concrete-blocks-is-a-surprisingly-efficient-way-to-store-energy/

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

friendbot2000 posted:

Also, buy good quality shoes and just repair and resole them. Over time it is cheaper than buying a new pair of shoes over and over. I have 4 pairs of shoes, but they last and can be repaired by a cobbler.

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

― Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms: The Play

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Rime posted:

I am the civilization recovering after centuries of a dark age, but will somehow be able to strip mine this worthless coal deposit which is only accessible thanks to modern technology, and which will have a negligible if not negative EROEI.

Any other bright ideas there, champ? :allears:

I think now we've dug up and processed a poo poo tonne of metal it would actually be easier for future civilisations to piggy back off of that effort ie recycling aluminium, steel, copper etc

The would need some good form of energy though, yes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Finally journalists are getting some real suggestions out there

https://newint.org/features/2018/10/15/four-lifehacks-prevent-apocalypse

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel really unclear what the goon approved apocolypse fanfiction even is on this one. Pakistan is having a water crisis that is going to get way worse but like, is the idea they are going to nuke then occupy india? Are they going to get real poor then india is going to nuke them? Is the idea just they are both savage animal countries so if things go vaguely wrong they will just mash their face into the nuke buttons?

I think Nevvy Z is suggesting they crank out some big nuclear power and desalinate a poo poo-tonne of water

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The rose bushes in my front garden have been basically unkillable bastards