Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Verge posted:

Absolutely but if you're destroying a car at 5k miles, you're a fuckwit. A car is barely broken in at your example of 100k. Be real with me, man, who would do that?

I just advised people to get mopeds. Just wear a helmet in the geo. Yes, they have driving helmets. Yes, they will protect you.

You can't wear helmets in cars at least where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I interviewed with a carbon capture company 8 years ago that claimed it had the first scaleable carbon capture system in the world. They even had a working prototype. I'm not even going to pretend it was possible some other company existed before them either.

For any tech journalism you're better off assuming the opposite of what is printed actually happened.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
People are afraid of nuclear because of high media profile events like fukushima Chernobyl and three mile. And also whenever Israel blowd one up in the ME.

Green politics have little to do with it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

ikanreed posted:

That's not to say there are no rabidly anti-nuclear greenies.

Oh there are, but they don't petition very strongly. At least not in my hippie city, and ive been petitioned about microwaving water kills Bees.

People who don't know any better and see the Chernobyl helicopter video on YouTube which says 'everyone in this film and the ones taking the video all died shortly afterwards.' don't need to talk to rabid environmentalists to form a negative opinion.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

computer parts posted:

He specifically pushed for some of those policies.

And those policies rock. When I was a kid no restaurant or cafe in the city had outdoor seating next to the sidewalk because it was disgusting outside.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Freezer posted:

Doesn't work that way.

The stages usually are:
1 there's definitely no warming at all
2 science can't determine whether there is any warming, as climate is unpredictable.
3 there is a warming, but we don't know what's causing it
4 there is a warming, and we might be causing it, but is it necessity bad?
5 there is a warming, and we caused it, but it's too late to do anything about it so rock on. Lets hope some sci-fi solution works.

Funnily enough, both sides of the debate could end up converging on that fifth one.

Throw me into the group going to the fifth step from the other side. Except the sci-fi solution, it doesn't exist.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Trabisnikof posted:

That's usually how I see stage 5 of climate denialism phrased. I do see it on here a lot too. People don't seem to get this isn't a problem we can abandon.

I'm not abandoning the problem, it will be devastating, but it can't be fixed in my opinion.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm not abandoning the problem, just declaring there's no solution! :rolleyes:

You can get really angry about it but it still won't change anything. I did retrieval of atmospheric conditions from radar measurement in college, along with some atmospheric modelling. I read quite a bit of climate change papers then, and most have been shown to be too optimistic. Even most of the climate change advocates outside of the actual researchers don't understand how grim the reality is. How most of them celebrated the results of Paris are enough evidence of that.

And I'm talking unsolvable in the most ideal conditions, I.e. bring able to turn knobs to directly change output of pollutants. Completely ignoring how people living their daily life in pollution soup do nothing to agitate for change.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Trabisnikof posted:

The fact that you can't see how the world's policy and discussion of climate change has been changing and positively may just because you're jaded or may just be outside of the area you follow. Even the climatologists don't understand the global energy system as well as the energy scientists (who conversely don't understand the climate models as well).

The Clean Power Plan and the US/China bilateral deals are huge positive steps that will meaningfully improve our mitigation of climate change. Likewise, the foundation laid at Paris was what we needed to do and will be helpful. It isn't sufficient, but at the scale of our problem, we can't wait for a perfect solution to start to act.

At local levels, there is a ton of political action one can take on climate change. So this idea that because the problem is so vast, we poor little people can't do anything, puts you in the same camp as climate deniers.

Policy and discussion can't be seen in a positive light no matter how heart warming it is if reversing climate change is essentially impossible. I could point out previous binding agreements that have had zero effect on year over year increase in CO2 production, but again, that's not the point. Any further CO2 production above the sink level is essentially added to the atmosphere on a timescale longer than human generations. The whole 'we can't wait for a perfect solution to start to act.' shows you're treating it like some human rights issue where admitting the problem is 90% of the solution - this is a physical problem. It is like celebrating that a doctor has admitted a terminal cancer patient 'has cancer' and can start his road to recovery.

I'm not entirely sure how its the same camp as deniers but OK. There is quite a lot that can be done for planning infrastructure, moving groups, etc as biomes change. Unfortunately this doesn't seem too popular in environmentalist circles and the only groups doing it are the energy extractors themselves.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Trabisnikof posted:

But all of what you said has little impact on reality (I agree with a lot of it). Sure, we should be in a better place, but we're not. So when people declare that any policy action less than perfection isn't meaningful because of the scale of the problem, it isn't exactly a helpful comment and could even make further positive policy action less likely.

For example, idiots declaring Paris a fraud because it didn't do the impossible doesn't increase the chance of a working global climate treaty. If anything, the constant cry that nothing is working and there's nothing to do only worsens things.

There seems to be this idea that somehow it is better to do X first and then handle climate change in our post-X world. I dont think there is time for such delays. We have to address climate change within the existing frameworks.

I'm not talking about perfect policy. You can't policy away physics.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Wanderer posted:

The whole thing is blips. Every running combustion engine is a blip; every moron who throws a plastic bag out the window is a blip. This is about making enough small gestures at once, not making two or three big ones, and it always was.

It's not the single solution to one thing; it's a partial solution to several things.

Maybe but that doesn't mean you get to ignore that sequestered CO2 must be stored somewhere permanently and not reused again.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Wanderer posted:

You asked for something that would work even in a wildest-dream scenario, and I gave you one. They're working on scaling up the tech and finding uses for the calcium carbonate it's turned into.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/carbon-capture-squamish-1.3263855

There's another company university research group that could theoretically upscale its tech to the point where they'd turn most of the CO2 in the atmosphere into carbon nanotubes, but they'd need a space roughly equal to [edit] a tenth of the Sahara Desert and they don't know what could be done with the nanotubes once they have them.

Still, the research is being done, with or without the government. It's an interesting field.

You'd need tens of millions of those carbonate things to do what is needed. Just as a comparison the number of Starbucks and McDonald's are in the tens of thousands.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Hello Sailor posted:

It's Trabisnikof. Anyone who doesn't agree with him is in some stage of climate change denial.

Hey guys we are gonna nullify the effects of this emission impulse injected into a complex system through political action! Impulse response isn't real!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's really the central issue; a poo poo load of Americans despise mass transit and just don't understand that it's actually beneficial. It's more efficient, relieves traffic, and can shorten your commute time if you live in a place where traffic jams up and the transit system isn't awful.

Buuuuuuuuut proper mass transit projects aren't cheap, people tend to not think much about their commute costs because they assume "have a car" is a basic life function, and a lot of people are against it because they'll have to share it with those people.

Mass transit also doesn't work very well as a for-profit enterprise and this is a nation where a significant portion of the population thinks that privatizing roads is a fine and good idea that will most certainly not backfire at all.

There's also convenience; Americans are impatient as hell and don't want to wait for the bus but they can get in their cars whenever they want. So they can go sit in traffic.

Even sitting in traffic is faster than mass transit. Japan has a loving amazing mass transit system but you end up commuting for loving ever. Living by the stations is expensive so you have to transit from a bus to the train to walking - its really easy to end up with a 2 hour commute for not terribly far distances.

Using a personal car is a bad choice not because of traffic but because its really expensive. Tax on car ownership is crazy and the tax rises as the car gets older - its really cheap to buy old cars but you pay a lot in yearly tax - and the inspections are severe. All it does is make car ownership into a class thing.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kilroy posted:

Getting around Tokyo by Metro is infinitely easier than doing so by car, plus you're not paying > $10/hour for parking. And, it's hard to find a place in central Tokyo that isn't less than a 10 minute walk to the nearest station.

In the countryside it's easier to own a car, but also places close to a station are cheaper as well.

Central Tokyo is extremely expensive to live in, usually ranked 1st or 2nd in the world. Everyone I know lives on the outside and has to change lines a few times to get to work (you are insanely lucky if you can ride a direct line) and a lot of the stations that are 'co located' are in reality more than 600m apart. Plus this only really works out for people who can walk easily.

Believe me I really like the trains, nothing beats cracking a beer on the train after a meeting, but there's a lot of disadvantages to the system and pretending they don't exist isn't going to get people to agree with huge public works project that are necessary for them.

Nevvy Z posted:

I somehow think that it would just be worse if they all had cars.

Yes, but most people would still love to have one. They don't go carless because of traffic or some sacrifice to the greater good, it's just that it's too expensive. That's the point.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Trabisnikof posted:

From a policy perspective is there any difference between someone denying Climate Change and someone who is saying all is lost? They both are effectively saying our resources should be spent elsewhere.

One out of ignorance the other out of cynicism, but to me the conclusion of inaction seems to be the same.

Yes, absolutely. You can move ill-placed population centers before they move themselves with huge amounts of suffering. You can start storing knowledge in long term capsules so that 1000 years later if everything recovers people can get back to higher standards of living quicker. Artificially conserve species as their habitat disappears. Hell, I'm sure there's a whole lot you can do even if you can't stop the change.

Also lol on the "only" 14.5 impact factor comment.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Haha, poo poo. That Goldman Sachs is going to save the world from climate change because capitalism when only 8 years ago they (the whole industry) stumbled into one of the biggest credit crunches in history, even though it is the core business, just for some ultra short term profit while loving over tons of livelihoods is some top tier trolling.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Forever_Peace posted:

This is already a distinction between the extraction industry with the financial industry.

Oil and Coal companies are, naturally, a problem. They are the major backers of most of the disinformation campaign and political lobbying for the status-quo.

The financial industry is already dumping the extraction industry, because they know where the money is headed. Here is a joint statement by BofA, Citi, Goldman, JP, Morgan Stanley, and Wells Fargo explicitly calling for market-based climate solutions (basically "price carbon" [cap and trade] and "let us finance $90 trillion in mitigation projects").

They are also staking unilateral positions.
Bank of America: "over the past several years we have been gradually and consistently reducing our credit exposure to companies focused on coal mining. Our new policy...reflects our decision to continue to reduce our credit exposure over time to the coal mining sector globally.”

ANZ (one of the largest banks in Australia): "We understand some of our stakeholders view our financing of fossil fuel industries as a material risk and in direct conflict with our stated position on the need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions," pledges not to finance future coalmining projects and commits $10 billion to low-carbon lending.

Goldman: pledges $150 billion in low-carbon lending over 10 years (also pledges to source 100% of their own energy from renewables, but that's basically corporate greenwashing in an effort to build their "brand")

Once again, to be clear, I don't like this approach. It is not the ideal approach. I don't think the financial industry is "good", or wants to save the world. I just think this is the most probable way that climate mitigation happens: by the financial industry once again getting their way.

These pledges are no where near binding. Even if they were, in the US you think their group companies/subsidiaries/overseas groups would cease dirty industry in developing nations?

Tangentially, speaking of nations outside the US, China knows exactly how to stop smog from overcoming their most populous cities. It's a daily, immediate impact that affects most citizens, even the elite who live there. Yet they choose not to stop. There is no hope of long term thinking in that kind of system.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Trabisnikof posted:

Good job refuting something no one said.

The fact that you keep sticking your fingers in your ears and ignoring is that fossil fuels are already less profitably and will continue down that decline. The writing is on the wall and everyone from New York to Abu Dhabi know it.

Profits have been declining because of over supply, which has been intentional to hurt certain producers. Once the price rises again the profits will come back.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Evil_Greven posted:

The Crystal Serenity is basically free and clear at this point, short of running into an iceberg between Baffin Bay and the NYC.

There were some serious storms in August that greatly fractured arctic sea ice, which leads to the potential that literally the north pole might be open water. Somewhat sadly, we can't see it because NOAA didn't have funding to setup a webcam.

This isn't reflected on NSIDC for whatever reason, I guess they might still count those scattered bits of ice as enough.

However, since storms scattered ice around quite a lot, it seems likely that large portions of the fractured sea ice could melt before the end of the season in the next few weeks of the melt season.

One of the polar observing satellites pretty much failed (tons of noise in the receiver) so some of the orgs have stopped releasing data or switched sources. I believe NSIDC is one of those who are greatly affected.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

CommieGIR posted:

They were trying to rustle up funding for a new one.

Guess which political party wasn't fond of the idea...

On top of that, about 4 years ago about 3 observing sats failed in a row on launch. It's hard to not get tinfoil about it but there is a group of people who wish that climatology didn't exist.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Trabisnikof posted:

Except that only works if the only reason you aren't having kids is climate. If you are single, too poor, too young, too old, etc then there is absolutely no future emissions avoided.

However, if we get to count all future emissions avoided for any reason, then Exxon is probably doing the most for the climate by not exploiting all their proven reserves. Hell, at least the oil Exxon keeps in the ground can't be undone by some horny teenager having an extra kid.

On the other hand, actions that reduce the per-capita emissions will reduce emissions now and in the future. Declining birth rates will never address climate change while moving towards a zero carbon-emissions equiv. economy is the long term solution.

Maybe Exxon can't be undone by a horny teenager but it definitely can by a Benz obsessed Chinese businessman building yet another concrete city with no occupants.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
What worldwide car culture edicts are you thinking of implementing emperor trabinskopf

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Nocturtle posted:

You don't have to wonder about the absolute change in emissions, from the same page:

There was a small decrease in absolute US emissions around 2006 onwards (primarily CO2) but still slightly up compared to 1990. It was absolutely not enough, but the point is that there was in fact some progress. My guess is most of the declines in per capita emissions were due to inflated oil prices. If so it's a good argument for a carbon tax, although good luck getting that through US congress.

Relatedly (inexplicably?) the Canadian federal govt announced a national carbon tax to be implemented by 2018. It's likely to be just lip-service, but it's something.

edit beaten

How is moving major pollutants off shore to other countries progress? Like who even makes these country by country normalized graphs? It's complete garbage.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Trabisnikof posted:

That's not what is happening. Most of the climate emissions come from areas like electricity or transportation that you can't export.

Instead it is that we had economic downturn and also natural gas replacing coal.

Seriously? If country A opens factories, it needs new powerplants and more transportation of raw materials to feed it. If country B then starts importing from A it can close factories, reduce workload on powerplants, and needs less transportation. This is such a large area of contention it is unbelievable that someone like you who always posts in this thread doesn't know about it.

goo.gl/7qQumW

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Forever_Peace posted:

It's a good question. I won't pretend I know the policy minutia, but the evidence so far seems like industries are responding to the incentives in the anticipated direction. For example, British Columbia instituted a province-level carbon tax in 2008 and has since reduced emissions at 3 times the rate of the rest of Canada.

Yes but what is the increase in using off shore shipping in international waters that is not counted? You have to count the whole system, regional is meaningless.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

NewForumSoftware posted:

I mean the big one is they are imposing a treaty that has no mechanism of enforcement. IE they can use political pressure to ensure the treaty is followed overseas while having no larger power checking their own internal progress. Nothing about the Paris agreement was binding, I see it as little more than the developed nations finally admitting that climate change is a thing, but if you think any meaningful impacts came from it I'd love to hear it.

Western countries cannot even get good bottom up estimates of emissions and for many gasses top down estimates are used, but by their nature are too late. So forget about enforcement, even grabbing meaningful data from developing countries is impossible. The economic gain from cooking books is too great (or influencing 'approved estimation methodology in legislation to become completely point less)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

shrike82 posted:

Nah, look at the Kyoto Protocol to see how comprehensive of a failure any attempt at treaty-based climate change mitigtation is.

*is Canada*

Oh poo poo is that some oil sands over there, gently caress these key-yoto poo poo we're out.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mozi posted:

I don't disagree with that and should have been more clear that a carbon tax in 10 years is of course still preferable to none at all. Things can always, always be worse. But there is still a lot of magical thinking going on that beginning efforts now will mean that things are not going to get very bad already.

Indeed, at these summits not only should carbon tax frameworks be setup, but also a relief framework. Some agreed upon plan in place when a nearby city collapses to handle the situation, instead of hastily building a fence and chasing refugees down railroad tracks

Instead they pretend their carbon tax or X C degree goal is going to avoid any catastrophic result which is not even policy impossible, but physically impossible.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Trabisnikof posted:

Even if we just burn it, the ability to use carbon neutral electricity to make ethanol we can distribute and use in existing infrastructure to reduce total emissions now while we build out fancier infrastructure would be a viable path forward.

It is better to replace fossil fuels with recently captured carbon in a short to medium term timeframe.

So much energy would be needed to capture the carbon, make the catalyst, and produce the ethanol that to make a dent in anything like the current CO2 concentration you would need way more 'carbon neutral' electricity than is available in the near term future. Even just carbon capture is this gigantic knot of a problem without two additional steps on top of it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Condiv posted:

therein lies the problem with storing nothing but ethanol. other carbon capture ideas involve stuff like making and storing tons of graphite from co2, but of course graphite doesn't store energy, it's only good for removing surplus co2 from the atmosphere.

one possibility for the ethanol storage is to put the generated ethanol into exhausted oil wells and seal them up

It's not only a problem with storing it, but also capturing it. You'd need somewhere between 10 to 100 times the number of gas stations ever built of that sorbent style capture facilities. And then separating the CO2 from the sorbent uses so much electricity... we don't even generate enough right now let alone using 100% carbon neutral (and while we have sources of carbon neutral electricity existing, they are not completely GHG neutral, which afters when you consider the scale of capturing a whole years' worth of carbon emissions)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

its no big deal posted:

One of the most depressing things about this entire election has been that it was never a goddamn issue on the discussion table for MSM and the two candidates on offer.

And now we are possibly close to electing a jackass who will deregulate industries that will ruin the world even further. And he will blame China for climate change as a hoax the whole way through.

I'll sustain myself with the memory of Bernie answering "Climate Change" when asked what was the largest issue facing the USA.

Hey man, don't worry! A bunch of nations met in Paris and agreed to definitely start thinking about a plan that will keep us under a warming target that's already passed! Nothing can go wrong.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The temperature of the great lakes is actually increasing in November.

Its gonna snow a lot.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
You can't really gain meaningful carbon sequestration from forests. Cold area forests don't work at all because they release most of the sequestered carbon back into the atmosphere when the leaves drop and decay. Rainforests work, while they are still maturing. Once the forest is mature is won't take much more carbon because the death rate of old trees and growth of new trees is in equilibrium. If you take away the oceans, deserts, and cold areas there is very little land to reforest and get that one time bonus of trapping carbon into living plants.

There are some arguments that the trees naturally sequester a small bit into the ground during their lifetime but the arguments are over the wrong magnitude - maybe a megaton whereas we pump many gigatons into the atmosphere each year.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Hello Sailor posted:

Yeah, I think he's off the mark. The NSIDC graphs for arctic and antarctic sea ice don't match his at all.

e: Went and looked at the twitter post that had the graph. He even includes the same two NSIDC images. I have no idea how he's combining them to get that.

e2: What the gently caress. Look at the totals. Eight million arctic and fifteen million antarctic makes twenty-three million right now. This dude's own graph only ever reached twenty-three million in the 1980s.

Seriously? They are measuring two different things. It is even in most of the simple FAQs!
http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/faq/#area_extent

Fansy posted:

Can we talk about denialists on the other side for a moment, "NTHE" facebook support groups and 2030 doomsday quacks like Guy McPherson - who does a lot of self promotion for a guy who only has a decade or so to live.

They're doing the exact same harm deniers do, getting people to do nothing, but they target those on the left who would otherwise be very helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_McPherson

I think people who rip into people who are 'doomsday' really need to understand better the physical processes, difficulties in making RCP predictions, and even simple things like how much energy is accumulating in the Earth. People who think Paris is good or MoUs are some progress really need to read actual studies (not just graphs) and try a few modeling exercises to understand how bad the situation is.
Probably McPherson sends the wrong message but my own feeling is that generally activities are on the wrong side of optimism here.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fansy posted:

You want me to run modeling exercises? I'm not a climate scientist.

More importantly, McPherson isn't a climate scientist. Nobody (that I know of) in his doomsday cult is a climate scientist.

He is an avid self-promoter, however. He publishes books:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=guy+mcpherson
he has a radio show, which doesn't feature climate scientists:
https://extinctionradio.org/
He has created a NTHE (near term human extinction) support group, full of people from all walks of life (massage therapists, accountants, etc.) but oddly few (if any) climate scientists. They also screen you for ideological purity before joining. (if you have linked 350.org in your timeline, you won't pass. You must be doomsday to join)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NTHESupportGroup/
He's also extremely defensive of his name. His edit history of his own page on rationalwiki is pretty funny.
http://rationalwiki.org/w/index.php?title=Guy_McPherson&diff=1408472&oldid=1406542

Actual climate scientists are telling us the future looks absolutely terrible for humanity. Every tenth of a degree we fight for represents millions of lives. Millions.
Ignoring climate scientists got us into this mess, and ignoring them in favor of doomsday cults is going to make it worse.

If you're a doomsdayer, please check your beliefs against a real climate scientist:
http://planet3.org/2014/03/13/mcphersons-evidence-that-doom-doom-doom/

Okay, but the first step is to realize people who dismiss graphs as alarmism because they don't care to take the time to understand them are basically deniers.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

TildeATH posted:

Whew, I'm glad you weren't being ironic.

Where do you see any self-pity in my posts? I'm not one of these depressed suicidal types. I'll grant that I'm a little angry that folks didn't take this seriously for twenty years.

But don't give me this nonsense, your 3°C and 6°C is not what people are arguing about now, they're accepting 4° and literally stating "every tenth degree helps" which just isn't true.

Look, I get that you want to be hopeful, it's how you were taught and probably how you cope, but don't be delusional. Delusion got us into this problem. And you probably shouldn't call people crazy when they carefully explain why you're being delusional. Christ, Geoffrey West gave a talk on this very subject a couple years back, and he's the head of the Santa Fe Institute and not Forums Poster TildeATH. Are you going to go tell him to take his meds?

People really want to ignore that emissions and warming aren't related by some simple equation where X tons of gas equals 0.X C warming in ten years. The way warming works in reality is starting to diverge from their political platform. The end result is attacking people instead of adapting to the reality and concentrating on items that would actually help.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Potential BFF posted:

On the bright side I'm sure we won't touch the 20 billion barrels of oil we just found under Texas, right? :greenangel:

Hey man it's cool China has got this.

*is China*
*revises 10year historical emissions estimates upward by 20% again*

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The biggest issue for RCP or any other projection is they all somewhat rely on bottom up gathering of data. I.e., we rely on industry and other countries to provide data on how much emissions they have produced - clearly if it benefits them to underreport they will. It doesn't matter how good models are, if you can't get an accurate picture of now, the prediction will be off. Just trying to confirm this reporting is it's own branch of climate science.

This is why when people think we can't possibly go worse than RCP8.5 I think they are mad and don't understand the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Uranium Phoenix posted:

We know how much, because businesses and governments keep track of how much they use. This lines up with how much carbon we've put in the atmosphere.

Yeah this is nice and all but this is pretty much bullshit. Governments and industries generally under-report emissions and has been demonstrated time and time again, and is one huge reason why many models run in the 90s and 00s under estimated warming. In the US the extractors generally under report. Other countries under report on a national scale (Which is why your 'foreign oil/keeping country safe' argument is strange given the global context of the problem)