Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."

Launch Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd6evo2X5fw

The first 27 minutes from IGN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ViXbnAHBQ

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the Xbox One/360 timed exclusive sequel to the 2013 reboot of the Tomb raider series of games. Apparently this go around there will be more of everything, (tomb raiding, collectibles, weapon parts, and so on), while also introducing some new mechanics like learning languages to be able to read monoliths in the world, etc.

Release platforms:

Xbox One and Xbox 360: November 10th, 2015
PC: Early 2016
PS4: Late 2016

The story so far:

Lara has survived her ordeal on the island of Yamatai and lived to tell the tale, but no one really believes her. Digging into her father's writings, she decides to set out again. She is determined to finish what her father started, finding the fountain of youth.

New Mechanics:

Learning languages and translating monoliths found in the world.
A day/night cycle with changing weather conditions. For example, to create a hardier winter coat Lara must hunt a wolf which only comes out during a specific time of day and specific weather condition.
More optional tombs with harder puzzles/traps.

Season Pass:

There would be three main extra modes coming after launch; Endurance Mode, Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch, and Cold Darkness Awakened.Cold Darkness Awakened will apparently pit Lara Croft against numerous waves of infected predators while Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch features a new tomb to explore and Endurance Mode will provide a tougher survival game mode for players looking for more of a challenge. Noah Hughes also promised “a steady stream of outfits, weapons, and Expedition Cards beginning on Day 1 and continuing over four months".

Multiplayer:

The first game mode with multiplayer connectivity will be Score Attack, which lets players replay levels from the game with new customized rules. Players play to get the best time and earn medals while using chained attacks, movements, and collectibles to get score multipliers.

The second mode is called Remnant Resistance. Remnant Resistance actually allows players to create their own missions with a unique set of goals and settings and challenge friends and the wider community to complete them. This mode will support the new Expedition Cards which grant certain abilities, power-ups, or visual customizations while activated. These cards can be won in-game, purchased with credits, or bought with real-world money and cannot be used in the main solo-player campaign. Special foil cards are super powerful and can be used while the regular cards expire after one usage.

There is also an extra solo-player mode called Chapter Replay which lets the player replay chapters from the main campaign with the use of all the power-ups and upgrades received in other levels.

I know most folks will be playing Fallout 4 (myself included), but from what I've seen of it so far, I'm eager to play this too.

Huntsekker fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

Scores are coming in, it seems well received:

Polygon - 8.5/10

In many ways, Rise of the Tomb Raider could be viewed as a fairly modest sequel. It successfully builds off Crystal Dynamics' excellent reboot, but it doesn't introduce any massive changes; the scope is greater but still in spitting distance of the previous game. But successfully regaining the feeling created in an extremely good game is no small feat. This is the inauguration of Tomb Raider as a formula once more, but for now, it's a formula I'm happy revisiting.

Kotaku - Should you play Rise of the Tomb Raider? YES

Rise of the Tomb Raider’s greatest success is in how it encourages exploration, which in turn makes you feel more connected to its fictional world. Every hapless corpse in the frozen Russian wastes is a reminder that Lara’s moving through a place that’s killed many others. As I played, she came across as increasingly gifted, with enough spirit and ingenuity to find ways to see herself through to the other side. This Lara isn’t a wide-eyed newcomer, nor is she a flinty veteran. She’s somewhere in between. Rise of the Tomb Raider makes me want to follow her where she goes next.

Gamespot - 9/10

Rise of the Tomb Raider's first shot pans over the vast, foreboding landscape we'll soon come to know. In many ways, it functions as a promise on the part of Crystal Dynamics: there are big things ahead of us. And at the end of Lara's journey, after we've seen her through this adventure, and experienced everything the world has to offer, it's clear that promise was kept.

IGN - 9.3/10

Rise of the Tomb Raider raises the bar set by Lara’s last outing with a rollicking adventure story, strong villains, gorgeous vistas, and smart puzzles – go off the main path to find the best stuff in dastardly optional tombs. Though the mandatory combat doesn’t distinguish itself with challenging enemies unless you crank up the difficulty, Lara’s newfound versatility on the battlefield makes fighting a lot more fun. Once again it’s Lara herself, however, who steals the show, her complex ambitions and hardened resolve showing new sides to a character who has well and truly grown from survivor to the most fascinating action hero in video games today.

Huntsekker fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 9, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

She seems very... primitively equipped for someone deliberately setting out on an adventure.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

between being locked on xbox for a year and coming out the same day as fallout 4, i'm a little worried about this game

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

AriadneThread posted:

between being locked on xbox for a year and coming out the same day as fallout 4, i'm a little worried about this game

I think it will review well, but pick up in sales after the holidays die down and the price gets cut. I know a lot of people didn't give the reboot a chance until it was free with games with gold, for example.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

She seems very... primitively equipped for someone deliberately setting out on an adventure.

I think she starts out well equipped, but then loses it all. I know there's a cutscenes where there's a car crash in the wilderness.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Alright, after my last adventure in a remote location where I was forced to desperately scavenge anything and everything to survive, I will for sure prepare for this next one better. *pulls on best oily rags + 10 year old coat*

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I hope this has more tombs and raiding and less enemy hordes that want to kill/rape laura croft

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

New Tomb Raider to offer 300 game-altering microtransactions

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

while those cards can be acquired with credits earned in the game, they'll also be sold for *bends over, spreads cheeks and begins making GBS threads into own mouth*

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol day and date on 360. lmao microsoft

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Rise of the Playstation

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I am going to buy both this and uncharted 4 for the playstation and I am going to enjoy both

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I remember when big head mode was just an option I could enable or disable for free. :(

Or I guess donut Drake and all the other crap Uncharted lets you do for free.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

Well let's see.

It's coming out on the same day as Fallout 4, in the same month as the yearly CoD. The Xbox is not exactly the connoisseurs console, it's entirely built to be for the CoD/GTA/Bethesda game style gamers, so 100% of people will likely skip this in favor of Fallout 4/CoD. Oh, and the game everyone bought the drat console for, Halo 5, literally just came out. So they are asking the Xbox gamer ( again, not someone who tends to buy more then $150 a YEAR worth in games ) to spend $60 on them, right after they likely already spent $180+.

There is no marketing for this game whatsoever, and both the thread here and on Gaf are well, not exactly bustling.

There is currently a several thousand person large boycott of this game on the Tomb Raider forums, for betraying them. Not just refusing to buy an Xbox for this game, but refusing to buy it when it comes out on PC/Ps4 to prove a point to Crystal Dynamics. The mods on the most popular Tomb Raider site are closing any thread related to this game, and telling people it doesn't exist, because they don't want it to go anywhere. Mind you, this boycott is probably not going to do anything, but this public opinion against this game to the point of "don't buy it even when it hits your console of choice" was also applied to Temple of Osiris, which uh, apparently sold basically 20 copies total.

The microtransactions in this game are egregious enough that several reviewers have mentioned it's going to be taken out in their reviews. So for the few people actually curious about this game.....I don't expect they'll be very happy once they see the reviews for this game.

Oh, and they've been going on about how this is "the middle part of a trilogy." with one of the lead writers even mentioning this ends on a bunch of loose ends. So I'm guessing this'll end as the middle part of the series, which nobody who actually plays it on Xbox will be happy about. So the people playing it on Xbox will likely go tell their friends on PC/Ps4 that the ending isn't worth it. Which I'm sure will do wonders for sales.

As someone who was legitimately excited for this game, and plans to buy it day 1 on PC? I have extreme doubts we will ever see Tomb Raider 3 after this. Hell, I hope Crystal Dynamics gets out ok, because they've been talking up making a new Soul Reaver again. At least their mobile ports are apparently making money. Like NOTHING about this was handled in a way that benefits the game/longevity of this franchise.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

yeah
i would like this to be a good game that is a success, but i'm apprehensive about the odds

this is the first i've heard about the micro transaction stuff too, that's grody as hell, imo

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I hope the PS4/PC version is the GOTY version with all the DLC poo poo included.

Would be nice for them to not nickel and dime.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

AriadneThread posted:

yeah
i would like this to be a good game that is a success, but i'm apprehensive about the odds

this is the first i've heard about the micro transaction stuff too, that's grody as hell, imo

Even as microtransactions, it's for a weird score attack mode, so it's not like say being able to buy supplies or maps to things in the normal single player game, like say Assassins creed syndicate did. "Packs" of things seems to becoming the new norm, unfortunately, ( halo 5, call of duty, dragon age multiplayer, etc.) As long as it stays out of my single player experience I don't think it'll bother me in tomb raider.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
There's apparently a shitload of Final Fantasy outfits for Lara and a JC Denton/Adam jensen one

Why must poo poo like this cost money? It used to be free in games like this FREE

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Looking forward to playing this game on Christmas 2016.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Apparently Square Enix already made their money for the game with the microsoft exclusivity deal

So sales won't really seem to matter for Square or CD, and it's all on MS to make up the dollars.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Oh look the usual sharktank autists who are mad at the xbox one because they bought the wrong console are here to poo poo on this game :allears:

Reviews are coming in strong which is good to see, looking forward to picking this up tomorrow! :woop:

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

hanyolo posted:

Oh look the usual sharktank autists who are mad at the xbox one because they bought the wrong console are here to poo poo on this game :allears:

Reviews are coming in strong which is good to see, looking forward to picking this up tomorrow! :woop:

Those scores are about what I was expecting, and I can't wait to play it soon!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I'm really looking forward to playing this and am very happy to read that it sounds awesome. Unfortunately I only have the cash to pickup one more game this week (I already got Divinity Original Sin yesterday) so it's between this and Fallout. Once the F4 reviews come in I'll decide off of that...but this seems to be where I'm leaning.

edit - eh gently caress it i'm getting both

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 9, 2015

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I'm really looking forward to playing this and am very happy to read that it sounds awesome. Unfortunately I only have the cash to pickup one more game this week (I already got Divinity Original Sin yesterday) so it's between this and Fallout. Once the F4 reviews come in I'll decide off of that...but this seems to be where I'm leaning.

edit - eh gently caress it i'm getting both

Just do what I'm doing, buy both and take the week off from work! Honestly I think Tomb Raider will be a good palate cleanser when fallout gets too janky or bugs out on me. I'll load it up and enjoy some good animation work, visuals, etc.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, I'm gonna play this when I get home and leave Fallout 4 until all the game-breaking bugs have been found.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

So it's been a couple days since the release and I wanted to post some quick impressions:

The game is way longer then I expected. I'm at about 20ish hours and still have a long ways to go.
The pacing is even better then the first game. There's less quicktime events, and less "running away while everything breaks around you" stuff.
The tombs are nice little 20-30 minutes chunks and are really varied in the locales. (a viking ship frozen in ice vertically, for example.)
All the side missions and tomb rewards are worth doing. a lot are just quality of life upgrades that add up, not just scrap or treasure lore.

Anyone else playing at all?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Rookersh posted:

Well let's see.

It's coming out on the same day as Fallout 4, in the same month as the yearly CoD. The Xbox is not exactly the connoisseurs console, it's entirely built to be for the CoD/GTA/Bethesda game style gamers, so 100% of people will likely skip this in favor of Fallout 4/CoD. Oh, and the game everyone bought the drat console for, Halo 5, literally just came out. So they are asking the Xbox gamer ( again, not someone who tends to buy more then $150 a YEAR worth in games ) to spend $60 on them,

Tell me more about your demographics research on xbox one users, as you seem to know them so well.

"They're not *real* video game connoisseurs" *swirls code red in a snifter and puffs on e-cigarette*

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Huntsekker posted:

So it's been a couple days since the release and I wanted to post some quick impressions:

The game is way longer then I expected. I'm at about 20ish hours and still have a long ways to go.
The pacing is even better then the first game. There's less quicktime events, and less "running away while everything breaks around you" stuff.
The tombs are nice little 20-30 minutes chunks and are really varied in the locales. (a viking ship frozen in ice vertically, for example.)
All the side missions and tomb rewards are worth doing. a lot are just quality of life upgrades that add up, not just scrap or treasure lore.

Anyone else playing at all?

I'm about to start it up, wasn't released in the UK till today, trying to debate if I want to go on survivor or seasoned raider difficulty (how much I hate myself)

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
I'm in love with this game. I'm around the fifteen hour mark with no end in sight. I cannot get over how much there is to do. Everything is a step up except for the story. It's a typical Indiana Jones - James Town - story. It's good, but it comes at the expense of Lara evolving as a character the way she did in the first.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

It's crazy how little movement in this thread there is. I have my copy and am looking forward to playing it this weekend. It will be a nice break from Fallout 4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's really not that surprising. There arent that many goons that own an xbone and even fewer bought this because of Fallout 4. I forgot Rise of the Tomb Raider was even coming out until very recently. That said, this is my first game with my Xbone and i'll be playing it today.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also why would anyone waste time discussing xbox one here, the thread is full of gimmicks. I know several posters that just go elsewhere to read what's going on.

That being said this is a really fun game and really good looking. Save points are well done when I fat finger a timing (I'm bad so this is more often than I'd like to admit)

Is everyone putting their first point into the extra XP perk? Seems like a faster way to level -- after that though I'm not sure what to go for. Maybe dodge counter?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm glad this game is apparently good and I can't wait to play it on a platform that I own.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

sellouts posted:

Also why would anyone waste time discussing xbox one here, the thread is full of gimmicks. I know several posters that just go elsewhere to read what's going on.

That being said this is a really fun game and really good looking. Save points are well done when I fat finger a timing (I'm bad so this is more often than I'd like to admit)

Is everyone putting their first point into the extra XP perk? Seems like a faster way to level -- after that though I'm not sure what to go for. Maybe dodge counter?

I like this game a lot, it's fun and there's a lot of stuff to do and decent treasures and rewards for doing side quests and exploring.

I got the dodge and the second tier deadly counter but honestly I don't think I've have the chance to use it since I never get into melee fights, can't remember when I've gotten to use the counter, except maybe when the bear attacked me?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's kind of surprising how much there is to do in this game. It feels a lot bigger than the first one.

I also don't hunt friendly animals, so I might be slow on upgrades, but I can't bring myself to hurt the cute things. :3:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Also: don't skip out on the crypts and strongboxes, they have parts to form new weapons and stuff that makes the game better. And always be looting.

There's definitely a ton of stuff to do. I'm still in Siberia and spent 8 hours doing missions and finding boxes and still at only 65% of that one area. There's definitely a lot of backtracking after you unlock abilities just to go get to previously locked tombs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I like this game a lot, it's fun and there's a lot of stuff to do and decent treasures and rewards for doing side quests and exploring.

I got the dodge and the second tier deadly counter but honestly I don't think I've have the chance to use it since I never get into melee fights, can't remember when I've gotten to use the counter, except maybe when the bear attacked me?

Ok yeah, me as well. If you're not stealth headshot-ing everything that isn't a pack of wolves running at you, you're doing it wrong.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Am I missing something with the crypt entrance north of the logging camp?

I can't tell if I'm just not jumping correctly or if there's some other way to get what's in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Control Volume posted:

I'm glad this game is apparently good and I can't wait to play it on a platform that I own.

Likewise. I'm just glad that console exclusivity thing got axed. By the time I burn out on Fallout 4 and the new Assassin's Creed, this ought to be on the PC. Looks great, and I'm liking what I'm hearing about it :toot:

• Locked thread