Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Chasiubao posted:

'Sup short buddy :smith::hf::smith:

Anyone have the season pass willing to offer an opinion on the DLC? Is Endurance mode and Baba Yaga the only 'story' DLC they're offering? I'm replaying this on PC but I can get the season pass for cheap on the Bone so I'm thinking about going back afterwards.

Baba Yaga is really cool, theres a cool boss fight that is semi long and not lame like the stealth boss fight in the game.

There is also a house that walks around with chicken's feet.

Saladman posted:

Well, the plot was better than Pillars of Eternity (nonsensical over the top pomposity, almost a parody of itself) and AC:Syndicate (didn't play it but I can only guess). Winning over TW3 is insane though. It'd be like the next Fast and Furious film getting an Oscar for Best Screenplay.

Speaking of plot, I didn't mind it too much but I really didn't understand about Jacob. So he's the Prophet, but he used the Divine Source to become immortal, so he's not actually chosen by God or anything. He just found the Divine Source somewhere and used it on himself. Why does he apparently keep his soul, while all the other people lost theirs? I mean that makes it seem like he should be the Real Deal, but then Lara and Jacob both seem to agree that he's basically some huge scam artist.

E: At least Fallout 4 didn't get nominated. I think that's the worst written plot of any AAA game I've ever played. "Housewife of a military man, frozen in time for 200 years, becomes super hardened badass killer within minutes of emerging from stasis to save her child who is snatching people from the countryside for ??? science reasons (you wouldn't understand so it's not worth explaining to you)"

If you read all the books/scrolls, all the prophet did was say "hey guys maybe god isn't that all great and powerful". Then Trinity being based on god logic was like" hey, dont do that". They killed him and found out he is immortal because of the divine source, then they started hunting him.

He kinda says that it was just chance he found it and had no idea what it was in the first place, he doesnt even consider it divine although it grants immortal life. So he didn't decide to become immortal it just happened and made him think new thoughts. His army kinda wanted to be immortal but they just like buried themselves for some reason, must of really like being in the army. I don't get how the immortal army would be threatened enough to bury themselves, maybe it was like last ditch effort into oh poo poo that didn't work quick make us immortal.

In the end being immortal for all time, he was really just trying to hide the divine source. The army must of known something about not letting it be destroyed prob kept Jacob away from it. He even doubted he could destroy it himself. I wouldn't say the soldiers lost their souls they just wanted to be alive forever. They are prob all crazy looking from dying over and over. Jacob was still like eating, I doubt the soldiers were.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

DrNutt posted:

FWIW I felt the same way at first, but I felt like Jonah was a lot better written in his game than in the first one, where he was nothing much more than a walking talking mystical native stereotype.

Yeah, this is absolutely correct. Honestly ALL of the characters from the first game were one-dimensional stereotypes apart from Sam and Lara. You've got the mystical native, the Angry Black Lady, the pathetic nerd with a one-sided crush that of course dies, the angry Scotsman... and I say this as someone who likes the game.

Crappy Jack posted:

Sam is not in Rise outside of being mentioned in a recording, and according to the story as presented in the comics, is currently locked in a mental ward, still possessed by the ghost of Himiko. Yaaaaay.

checkstock posted:

It might be because there's like half a dozen comic books that cover the gap between the games. Like this isn't Lara's first real run in with Trinity and Sam isn't in the game because she's in a mental institution and is still possessed by Himiko for some reason.

Don't ask me why they felt the need to tell most of the story through tie-in comic books.

This is some grade-A trolling from the devs to the fans :stonk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're learning from Blizzard, I see.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Reminder that in the Tomb Raider reboot, everyone who dies is a straight white male, and all the survivors are minorities.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Reminder that in the Tomb Raider reboot, everyone who dies is a straight white male, and all the survivors are minorities.

And...?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Crappy Jack posted:

I AM TRIGGERED

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
Kill all white males, let their white male god sort them out.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Crappy Jack posted:

I always thought it was a good game, now I realize it was a great one.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Apparently they are doing another comic series to bridge the gap between the second and third game, it came out yesterday. Instead of just continuing the previous series, they are calling it Tomb Raider #1. :psyduck:

I work right across from a comic shop so I will probably pick it up and let you all know exactly how terrible it is.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Crappy Jack posted:

I was quite surprised how many times they brought Laura's new black friend, to instantly turn around To be captured/murder/lost again.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 19, 2016

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How do you get new endurance mode locations?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I was quite surprised how many times they brought Laura's new black friend, to instantly turn around have have in captured/murder/lost again.

I think he's supposed to be Maori or something. So insensitive.

E: Also yeah. I'll have to wonder about the sanity and lifespan of whoever signs up to be her sidekick in the next game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Saladman posted:

I think he's supposed to be Maori or something. So insensitive.

E: Also yeah. I'll have to wonder about the sanity and lifespan of whoever signs up to be her sidekick in the next game.

Poor Sam.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Apparently they are doing another comic series to bridge the gap between the second and third game, it came out yesterday. Instead of just continuing the previous series, they are calling it Tomb Raider #1. :psyduck:

I work right across from a comic shop so I will probably pick it up and let you all know exactly how terrible it is.

But apparently it's being written by Mariko Tamaki... maybe it will be better? She's written good stuff :ohdear:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I believe "polishing the turd" is very apt phrase here. Reboot hasn't exactly set a stellar precedent on material she has to work with.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I feel like they really need to start giving her a sense of humor going into the 3rd game. Literally her only other defining characteristic besides tits in the classic games was British snark.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As if there weren't enough reasons to draw parallels between her and Nathan Drake. I mean, do you really think they threw a grey henley into the game as a costume option for no reason at all. =P

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I feel like they really need to start giving her a sense of humor going into the 3rd game. Literally her only other defining characteristic besides tits in the classic games was British snark.

It's sort of hard to do without making her look kind of crazy because the tone of the games have been so grim that Lara making one-liners would feel kind of out of place.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Obviously you are forgetting the scene in the last game where Lara got a grenade launcher and just started taunting the helpless soldiers as she blew them away.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

Obviously you are forgetting the scene in the last game where Lara got a grenade launcher and just started taunting the helpless soldiers as she blew them away.

Wouldn't you do the same thing in her shoes?

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I loved this game. I like the combat mechanics of the reboot series, and I found myself switching between weapons and using environmental items way more than in other games. The "press button to ice pick" made the climbing a bit more engaging too.

Pwnstar posted:

They had a bit like this at the end of this game too when she's finally just like "gently caress it I'm going to murder all of you."

I think they're actually heading towards snarky British Lara Croft with that. The "rise" part of Rise of the Tomb Raider is her coming out of a second hellish nightmare and deciding that it's her thing -- she's going to keep raidin' tombs and killin' baddies on her own terms. So hopefully next game she's more in control and confident. It would be really tone-deaf in a way this series hasn't been so far if she doesn't at least move in that direction.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's definitely a tough line to walk. I loved the Uncharted games, but the video game logic of Nathan Drake mowing down thousands of dudes while remaining a lovable rogue instead of becoming a Frank Castle is a little much. So I do think they have to tread carefully to make Lara a believable character, and to a certain extent it's not really possible given the body counts in the games.

e: Well, true to new Tomb Raider form, the very first thing Lara does in the new comic is fall off a rock ledge and hurt herself.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 21, 2016

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I've 100%'d everything according to the world map, but I still only have 5/6 weapons for everything but the shotgun. Do you have to complete challenges or something to get the last guns? Not that I really need them since I've beaten the game already, but still it's fun shooting everything with flaming rounds from the overpowered final shotgun, I'm hoping the other final guns are just as overpowered.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Did you buy the one from the in-game dude?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Amazon.com listed the PS4 version for December 30th. Any word on if that's confirmed or just a placeholder?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Payndz posted:

Amazon.com listed the PS4 version for December 30th. Any word on if that's confirmed or just a placeholder?

December 30th is the default "WE HAVE NO IDEA" Amazon release date.

DrNutt posted:

and the crying and screaming don't forget her crying and screaming

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I've been saving up my coins, what should I spend them on? The upgrade tools would have been a wastes, I see. Are the weapons only available from the shop? What about the grenade launcher for rifles, do I get from the plot?

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 22, 2016

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Junkenstein posted:

I've been saving up my coins, what should I spend them on. The upgrade tools would have been a wastes, I see. Are the weapons only available from the shop? What about the grenade launcher for rifles, do I get from the plot?

The refinement tool needs to be purchased, but the other upgrade tools you find in the game. I bought everything else there.

The pistol suppressor first and then the laser sight. The grenade launcher and rope ascender were next.
I didn't get everything else until I finished the game.

I'm at 100% and have 110 coins after buying everything.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I don't know about the order, but definitely you should get the GL, the riot shotty, and the upgrade tool (because it unlocks a 4th tier of mods). If the laser sight has some hidden stat benefit then maybe that too.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
don't buy the pistol suppressor because you can't take it off and the guns sound terrible suppressed

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Plus the bow is a far superior stealth weapon, especially with the auto head shots etc.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Chasiubao posted:

Did you buy the one from the in-game dude?
Yep, got all his stuff. He's still standing alone in that cabin though, just watching Lara slowly walk around from time to time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I just used the bow for everything. The bow is crazy.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The riot shotty is great for when you are feeling too lazy to muster the slight coordination required for the bow

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I just used the bow for everything. The bow is crazy.

There is nothing more satisfying in any game ever than a bow shot kill.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC - $17.99

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/ri...g4RT9pS9XhKtmpg

RotTR Season Pass PC - $8.99

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/ri...gDXI1.DPIVLbsrw

As of now, still going on so might wanna get on that.

Aaaaaand it's gone.

Brimstone Inquiry fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 23, 2016

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC - $17.99

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/ri...g4RT9pS9XhKtmpg

RotTR Season Pass PC - $8.99

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/ri...gDXI1.DPIVLbsrw

As of now, still going on so might wanna get on that.

Aaaaaand it's gone.

Was on the way out the door when I saw this. Got to my office and it's over :(

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I just noticed something I never noticed before. I've been switching costumes a lot, and just now I switched back to the starter red puffy jacket. And now it's got holes and poo poo in it, and Lara has a bandage on her arm.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Rise is on sale this weekend on steam if anyone was waiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Chasiubao posted:

I just noticed something I never noticed before. I've been switching costumes a lot, and just now I switched back to the starter red puffy jacket. And now it's got holes and poo poo in it, and Lara has a bandage on her arm.

They did this in the first one too. She slowly went from slightly dirty to having maybe half the top not ripped, and covered head to toe in dirt and blood. More games need to do this.

• Locked thread