Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Nasgate posted:

They did this in the first one too. She slowly went from slightly dirty to having maybe half the top not ripped, and covered head to toe in dirt and blood. More games need to do this.

The Batman games do this...well, Asylum and City (cant remember with Knight) where Batman's cape and suit get more beatup as the night wears on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone get these weird glitches in the PC version? It's the outdoor area just before you get grenade arrows.
Yellow ring on the skybox.

and a screen warping effect like the one you got with the helicopters passing overhead in a previous cutscene, but just occurring in the world.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Is it possible to unlock every skill in the game, xp wise? :ohdear:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Well yeah.
You can theoretically grind for exp by hunting or killing enemies. After playing the DLC and almost completing every area, I had 2 levels left. So it's totally doable.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It's a lot easier than getting all the coin purchased equip, which I think is theoretically possible, but I haven't done it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Like the first one there's also several more extraneous skills that don't really do much. I think there's a skill, with an upgrade, that reduces the amount you need to mash the button to open chests, lockers, and doors. You barely have to mash in the first place.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

If you pick up Avid Learner as one of your first skills, the bonus XP adds up a lot over the course of the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Yoshimo posted:

Is it possible to unlock every skill in the game, xp wise? :ohdear:

Yes if you do a 100% completion run, you will max out before the last 4-5 areas.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dogen posted:

It's a lot easier than getting all the coin purchased equip, which I think is theoretically possible, but I haven't done it.

If you find all the monoliths you'll end up with coins to spare.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Chasiubao posted:

If you pick up Avid Learner as one of your first skills, the bonus XP adds up a lot over the course of the game.

Yep, that plus a couple that confer bonuses and multipliers depending on how you play, and you can get buried under level-ups.

I nabbed a 980ti to play this on PC, and *drat* it is eye-poppingly great looking. Beyond obviously looking and running nicer than the XBONE version, there is also the whole input-lag thing. So the XBONE version is somewhat notorious for input lag. I never felt like a had a problem with it, but then I also played a poo poo-ton of the game there, so reflexively got used to any of its foibles. For a while on PC, I felt like I was actually 'worse' at the game, until my brain stopped trying to account for lag that was no longer present.

It is nice that the game presents other modes of play beyond the campaign, but for me personally, due to its structure, and the balance of its elements, the campaign is where I most enjoy spending time with the game. The other modes have aspects that I like, but not the overall balance of them that I want. It is a shame that you can't apply any modifiers specifically to the campaign. "Survivor" difficulty is a fun way to play the campaign, but it'd be great if you could apply additional tweaks to it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I want a new game plus mode so I can rip through the campaign with all the murdery powers that I've gained over the course of leveling up :black101:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I just want to be able to play through the whole game with the outfit you get for completing all the tombs or the DLC outfit, since they're both rad as hell.

Though blasting my way through the final battle as Knight Lara was already pretty great. :black101:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sindai posted:

I just want to be able to play through the whole game with the outfit you get for completing all the tombs or the DLC outfit, since they're both rad as hell.

Though blasting my way through the final battle as Knight Lara was already pretty great. :black101:

A fact that bears repeating :black101:

magimix fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 11, 2016

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, assuming you've been doing the tombs as they become available, you get that outfit at the perfect time to go kick rear end in the finale. It's great.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
New patch going out on steam today to add DX12 support.

Should see a performance increase in CPU-bound areas like Geothermal Valley or Soviet Installation.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Instant Sunrise posted:

New patch going out on steam today to add DX12 support.

Should see a performance increase in CPU-bound areas like Geothermal Valley or Soviet Installation.

I wondered what the deal with that was. Last night I reached the Geothermal valley. Fingers, toes, and assorted other appendages crossed accordingly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sindai posted:

Yeah, that was the final outfit I wore and it was pretty goddamn perfect.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

What are the chances that two of the collectibles are bugged? I'm 99% World completion - the missing collectibles are in Geothermal Valley - I'm on 31/33 Documents.

I've gone into the Documents tab and under the Ways of the Valley heading I've got:

On the Smallest Prey
On Local Birds
On Deer and Stags
On Boars
Located in Geothermal Valley
Located in Geothermal Valley

But there's no sign of them anywhere!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looking at my 100% savegame, it looks like you're missing:

On the Threat of Wolves
On Bears

The first is in a shelter near the Cliffside lookout camp, the second is on a ridge on the western side of the village. Exact locations can be found here.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Thanks for checking. This is where it gets interesting though - I've gone to those two locations, and not only are the documents not there, but the icons are present and grayed out (i.e. as if having been collected) on the map. So I've obviously picked them up... but the game still tells me it's those two exact documents that are missing, and I'm still at 99%.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ouch, that does sound like a bug then unfortunately. Sorry :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just played through the first couple hours, loving it so far just as I loved the original 2013 Tomb Raider. I'm glad I upgraded my GPU recently because it's probably the nicest looking game I've ever seen and runs so smoothly. One question though...what do I do with the cards that I get from the gift decks, and is there a way to view what I have collected so far?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

They're used to add modifiers to Expeditions and rounds of Survival. You can browse them all somewhere in that mode's menus, I think

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I feel like maybe some of them unlock weapons in the base game? I noticed that I got a named special auto shotty that I didn't have before recently.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

For those of you who have the Endurance Mode DLC, what does that entail? Are you just on a big freeform map with limited food + supplies and have to live as long as possible, or is there an overall objective?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

It is indeed a big freeform map. You start with close to nothing, and have heat and hunger gauges that need to be kept topped up via fires and hunting/foraging - the objective is basically to find and then raid as many tombs as you can. You rack up points for days survived and artifacts gathered, etc.

Mostly the crux of the mode is playing chicken with the game - there's no way to save and you lose the run completely if you die, but you can call for an extraction with your loot at any time to get your final score (assuming you don't die waiting for the helicopter)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That actually sounds really cool. Might just throw down for the season pass then since I'm enjoying Rise immensely so far.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, it's good. I played a hell of a lot of the mode when it came out. It's actually pretty hard though, be warned. Your biggest cause of death will probably be triggering the slow-mo crumble on a spike pit on your way into a tomb, and then forgetting about it and running straight into the now uncovered spike pit on your way out of the tomb.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I hope nobody will ever see me play Tomb Raider with all the dumb ways I manage to kill myself.

Does anybody else on PC have a problem where the game's framerate will suddenly drop to like 40 FPS for no reason? I have the specs with a 980ti to get a smooth 60 fps everywhere and usually do, except sometimes when loading a new area or leaving camp the frames will drop abruptly. Alt+tabbing out for a few seconds seems to get FR back up to normal, but I was just wondering if this was a known thing.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

I hope nobody will ever see me play Tomb Raider with all the dumb ways I manage to kill myself.

Does anybody else on PC have a problem where the game's framerate will suddenly drop to like 40 FPS for no reason? I have the specs with a 980ti to get a smooth 60 fps everywhere and usually do, except sometimes when loading a new area or leaving camp the frames will drop abruptly. Alt+tabbing out for a few seconds seems to get FR back up to normal, but I was just wondering if this was a known thing.

I've not run into anything quite that extreme (also never needed to tab-out to shake something loose), though the game *has* generally struggled a bit more in the open-world areas in some circumstances. Have you tried enabling DX12 mode to see if that helps at all?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, I have updated drivers, DX12 mode, enhanced fullscreen, prefer maximum performance in Nvidia enabled etc. I noticed that when I turn off VSync and limit frames it doesn't happen, but then I get too much screen tearing. So my feeling is that at certain points the game shifts down to double buffering and then stays there for some reason? Not sure.

It doesn't always chug in open-world areas either, sometimes a cutscene or just a new loadscreen will cause it.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, I have updated drivers, DX12 mode, enhanced fullscreen, prefer maximum performance in Nvidia enabled etc. I noticed that when I turn off VSync and limit frames it doesn't happen, but then I get too much screen tearing. So my feeling is that at certain points the game shifts down to double buffering and then stays there for some reason? Not sure.

It doesn't always chug in open-world areas either, sometimes a cutscene or just a new loadscreen will cause it.

Hmm. Tried switching between fullscreen and borderless windowed (or vice versa)? Thats made a difference for me in certain other games (I mention this one because usually when I've goen to borderless windowed to improve performance, this has gone *against* GeForce Experience's recommendation). Are you running the game on an SSD or a mechanical drive? 'scuse all the questions; we have the same GFX card, and it makes me curious.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yup, running on an SSD. As soon as I alt+tab for awhile the game snaps back to 60fps so I know my card can handle it. It's running under load at 67C according to NVinspector so I know it's not an overheating issue, either.

e: Reading up on this issue, my two main problem areas are the laddery area of the Soviet base, and Geothermal Valley, which seem very common for nvidia users. So it might also Just Be a Thing.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 5, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Update: Setting textures to High instead of Very High seems to have worked for me. I get occasional frame dips in the predictably heavy effect areas but nothing for a prolonged period of time now. Apparently the game likes to load a lot of uncompressed textures at high LOD which takes even 6GB of VRAM right to the limit. Just in case anybody was experiencing something similar.

I think I may have gone a little overboard with the exploration and relic collection because at 52% completion my Lara is pretty much an unstoppable one-woman archer brigade. It's good that they added a little more of an edge to her character in this one as I am savagely cleaving mooks to death with my pick axe and triple shotting security patrols from stealth.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Update: Setting textures to High instead of Very High seems to have worked for me. I get occasional frame dips in the predictably heavy effect areas but nothing for a prolonged period of time now. Apparently the game likes to load a lot of uncompressed textures at high LOD which takes even 6GB of VRAM right to the limit. Just in case anybody was experiencing something similar.

I think I may have gone a little overboard with the exploration and relic collection because at 52% completion my Lara is pretty much an unstoppable one-woman archer brigade. It's good that they added a little more of an edge to her character in this one as I am savagely cleaving mooks to death with my pick axe and triple shotting security patrols from stealth.

I you feel you might run through the campaign again at some point, it is worth doing so in 'Survivor' difficulty, because that applies some interesting tweaks to the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I ended up getting the season pass since I've been having such a good time, so I think after this playthrough I'll check out the Expeditions and Endurance Mode.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Bit of thread necromancy, but anyone know if there's a free camera mode/mod for the PC version? This game is astoundingly beautiful and I'm a weirdo that loves taking screenshots all the time.

Also give us a Predator game on this engine.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Bit of thread necromancy, but anyone know if there's a free camera mode/mod for the PC version? This game is astoundingly beautiful and I'm a weirdo that loves taking screenshots all the time.

Also give us a Predator game on this engine.

Just tested the free cam mod here and it still works.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm playing the 2013 game and am mad I can't play this on my ps4 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

RC Cola posted:

I'm playing the 2013 game and am mad I can't play this on my ps4 yet.

Is there even an announced date yet? Hopefully the date picked is more wisely chosen than the original one (same week as Call of Duty and Fallout? Yeah, good luck with that :stare:)

• Locked thread