Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Nice, my motherboard's last BIOS update was in 2013. Everybody is totally going to be safe from Meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Ah, I see now. The PowerShell thing says that I am fine for CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load], which is Meltdown. However, I need microcode updates for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection], which is one of the two variants of Spectre.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I just use KeePass with the Kee extension for Firefox for matching passwords against the URL field. I'm not going to be super :tinfoil: about this.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Real question time. I use Keepass at work, home, and on my android phone. I want to use 2 factor because any and all of my passwords I can both remember and type on my phone without wanting to kill myself are breakable, what should I get/use, and how does it compare to the 2nd best thing in a similar product space?

I use the KeeOTP plugin to add TOTP to my KeePass entries. That lets me generate TOTP codes on my desktop computer.

I also use Authenticator Plus for my Android phone and I add my TOTP keys to that too so I can generate keys with my phone.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sefal posted:

I've been using Keepass for the last 2 years.

I take it this can also work with an iphone?

Yes, there are multiple TOTP apps that support iOS. Authy, Google Authenticator, FreeOTP, and Toopher are just a couple.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

EVIL Gibson posted:

Unless battlenet changed anything I was able to extract the key and time shift (and something else..) out of the app into a windows application to generate the same codes as the one on my phone.

You need access to app cache via root to see that data.

From what I've read, you can actually do this with Twitch's Authy stuff too. I haven't been able to get the secret yet, but you can run it as an 8-digit TOTP and just lop off the first digit to get a working 7-digit code.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Everybody who has Comcast has it deployed at home. For years now.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Are they talking about the optional password that is used to prevent number porting scams? Or the actual account password? Because those are two separate things and I can't tell which is under discussion here. It seems to be that they are talking about the optional password, which is like the code word you can put on your bank account that you have to verify before the teller will help you. It is just an additional pin number you verify over the phone.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Proteus Jones posted:

That may be (it’s still terrible). Even if it is a misunderstanding, this whole thing has grown so far beyond that.

T-Mobile had sent out an SMS saying that there was a huge upsurge in number porting scams and that you should call them and set up a password to prevent it. I thought it was just some sort of password required to port out a number so I had KeePass generate a max length 15 character password. But it turned out to be a password that you have to say before the customer service reps will help you, like a set of security questions, so now I have to say that whole password out every time I call them up. Argh.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well I figured out my problem with KeePass was that I never actually saved the database after adding a bunch of stuff, and I didn't seem to prompt me over that when I closed it in my original assessment. After learning to be religious with the CTRL-S combo with it, stuff persists just fine. I'm wondering now if there's an Android app that would sync with a KeePass database kept on my own VPS. That would mean HTTP or preferably SCP. I know DropBox and Google Drive has been supported forever, but I'd rather not use those if I can help it. Has anything updated in the Android space to support SCP? Everything I see is from 2014.

KeePass2Android supports Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, SFTP, FTP, HTTP (WebDav), HTTPS (WebDav), OwnCloud, 3rd party apps, or just straight from your file system.

If you wanted to use SCP, you could install any SCP syncing app and then have KeePass2Android load the file from your filesystem.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It sounds like Google Drive isn't syncing changed files immediately. Normally, if you save the database on the desktop, it should update the database file on the laptop. Then, when you save it on the laptop, it would recognize that the database file was altered and it would ask you to overwrite or synchronize your changes.

However, if Google Drive isn't updating the file on the laptop immediately, you would get into a situation where you have conflicting changes. Dropbox seems to update immediately so I never have this problem.

To resolve this, you could try using a plugin that lets you load the database directly from Google Drive. The cloud provider plugin would have KeePass directly sync with the cloud provider instead of relying on the Google Drive desktop app.

Try one of these:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/kp-googlesync/
https://github.com/Kyrodan/KeeAnywhere

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

bitprophet posted:

To be fair, aside from JavaScript's inherent language issues & the problems it gains from popularity & low barriers to entry (hi PHP!) this sort of thing could happen to any other open source project.

See: uBlock vs uBlock Origin

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Pablo Bluth posted:

Got an email a short while ago to say I'd been 'pwd.
https://www.troyhunt.com/the-773-million-record-collection-1-data-reach/

However as he can't/won't provide any information about the password, it's a frustrating bit of knowledge. I think blissful ignorance was more pleasant! Fortunately I don't have that many accounts using that email so I'm just updating them all and making sure they're long lones. Hoping it's just an old password from simpler times that is floating around and has been repacked in to a new collection.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

You can check to see if your specific password was ever seen before in any password dumps. If it was a fairly unique password, you should be able to tell if it was yours that was leaked.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I like how Keepass2Android installs a custom password keyboard on your phone for the pre-autofill days. It even helps for apps that don't make use of the autofill API yet.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Firefox, for example.

Firefox does work. You need to be on Firefox version 65 and the beta release of Keepass2Android.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

CLAM DOWN posted:

MFA everything everywhere

We've e-mailed you a security code. Please enter it to continue.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Klyith posted:

After seeing that article I did go look at all my addons to see which ones didn't publish source. Only two did not, and one of those is by a japanese guy so maybe I'm just not seeing it through translate.

Pretty sure this is the npm problem, though, where what you publish on github and upload to your browser's addons repository don't necessarily have to be the same thing.

At least Mozilla and Google ban addons with obfuscated and minified code, so you could, in theory, check if what gets installed into your browser matches what is in github.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If you are using KeePass, just use the Kee browser plugin (Firefox and Chrome versions available) and avoid auto-type.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

OSU_Matthew posted:

KeePass chat regarding some auto type issues people had a few pages back—

Some of the best features aren’t super intuitive at first, but the ctrl+v autotype that pumps credentials wherever the cursor bar is (eg messaging window or browser url bar) can be fixed with ctrl+alt+a autotype, which is locked to a specific window. You just have to set this up with each credential by going into the auto fill tab for each credential and selecting the source from the drop down menu of active windows. This way, so long as KeePass is open in the background, you can single press keyboard shortcut auto log in to whatever and this works ridiculously well.

Another great feature if your domain doesn’t have a seamless SSO, you can insert field references for passwords. That way, you only have to have one set of credentials to update for your work domain, and everything can populate off that.

CTRL+ALT+A autotype by default will look to see if any window titles contains the words of the entry's title. You don't HAVE to pick the specific window title in the entry unless you turn that option off or if you want different auto-type sequences for different individual windows.

But I would try to avoid auto-type if you can and just use the Kee browser plugin. The only time I use auto-type anymore is using it to log into video game accounts.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It's probably a reference to this stuff?

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Prevent-WebRTC-from-leaking-local-IP-address
https://www.w3.org/wiki/Privacy/IPAddresses#Mechanism_whereby_the_local_IP_Address_is_exposed

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Every time I try to support a website by turning off uBO, I get those exact same webpage redirecting ads. Every time.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
NordVPN was audited last year in regards to their no-log policy. Maybe some others have done audits too?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Combat Pretzel posted:

What plugin do you use for filling in password fields on web pages? KeeForm?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/keefox/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kee-password-manager/mmhlniccooihdimnnjhamobppdhaolme

Requires the use of a plugin for KeePass:
https://github.com/kee-org/keepassrpc/releases/latest

Full instructions:
https://forum.kee.pm/t/installing-kee-with-keepassrpc-for-keepass-password-safe-instructions/23

You can ignore the "paid" aspects of the stuff you see. All they are doing is selling their own web-based password hosting service built on top of KeePass. The plugin integrates with the KeePass 2 client and is open source and entirely free.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I just went from KeePass to KeePass2 on the desktop and Keepass2Android on my phone. I wasn't unhappy before but I am positively delighted now. Keepass2Android can talk directly to Dropbox, so sync is not an issue at all. I use a key file that isn't in Dropbox, so even if an attacker cracks Dropbox wide open, they'd still have trouble brute-forcing my database. I don't bother with plugins, I just do a lot of tinkering with auto-type strings in Windows, or the Keepass2Android keyboard in Android.

Browser integration plugins are so nice though. But I have to ask. Why are you using the Keepass2Android keyboard? Are you on an older version of Android? Since version 8 (Oreo), Android has had an autofill service and Keepass2Android supports it. You tap the autofill button. Keepass2Android will say it can't find an autofill entry so you tap the "Select another entry" button, navigate to the password you want, and tell it to use that one. It will then save the app affiliation into your database. Now every time you tap the autofill button, it will just work.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

EssOEss posted:

This seems to only persist in some local cache and never get uploaded back to cloud (I use Google Drive). Whenever my phone downloads an updated database, the app associations are gone. Am I doing it wrong?

Yeah. That isn't right. Does the application itself not re-upload your database on changes? Maybe it's a problem with Google Drive or the Keepass2Android integration with it? I have my database on Dropbox and making any changes on my phone causes it to save the change back to Dropbox.

The app association is saved inside your password entry under the "Advanced" tab. It makes a new string field.

Here's my Pokemon Go association:

Field Name: KP2A_URL_1
Field Value: androidapp://com.nianticlabs.pokemongo

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lambert posted:

They have. Do you have any update deferment set? (Advanced options in Windows Update)

Oh man so that's why I haven't been able to download the security update. Thanks so much it explains everything.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm using Keepass, but it pisses me the gently caress off, because integration with a browser is a clusterfuck. Multiple unmaintained Chrome plugins, and the one that loosely works, you need to run another executable acting as a bridge. So I'm copypasting right now, which is annoying as hell.

I also don't want to pay a monthly subscription fee to store a microscopic amount of data somewhere.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/keefox/
:chome:: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kee/mmhlniccooihdimnnjhamobppdhaolme

You install a KeePass plugin to make it work. Directions and links to the plugin are here:
https://forum.kee.pm/t/installing-kee-with-keepassrpc-for-keepass-password-safe-instructions/23

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
In reality you'll just get a pin number in a text message.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I see four CVEs. In 2010, KeePass would load a trojan horse DLL in the current working directory. In 2016, the software update feature could be MITM attacked. In 2017, the entry view panel could cause some information to be decrypted. In 2019, the CSV password import feature had an injection exploit.

Also: https://keepass.info/help/kb/sec_issues.html

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dylan16807 posted:

If the problem is with making an account then KeePassXC could actually be an easier option if they already have dropbox or google drive or similar installed. Just put the file there, and I think auto save and auto reload are on by default.

It's true that original KeePass has that ridiculous trigger system to set up.

Original KeePass has a half dozen addons to automate cloud storage. You can also install addons to allow browser autofill like the other services.

But it is definitely an advanced tool and not easily zero-maintenance.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I just installed Power Toys on my work laptop and use Mouse Without Borders to control both it and my personal computer at the same time. Now my workplace can't see my poo poo posting.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I just got told I need to be in the office at least 2 days a week.

I asked my boss who was going to check

Nobody.

Congrats me in continuing to be full time remote.

Be careful, if you need a card to gain access they might be pulling access logs.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm lazy and put my TOTP in both Authy and KeePass.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Pretty much every major password management solution has web browser integration these days. Even KeePass has browser extensions.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

And at least KeePass does it right, because it requires you to interact with it, instead of just filling it in automatically.

It's actually configurable. You can have it do nothing, fill it in, or fill it in and submit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ellipson posted:

Do what I did instead and get a PhD, which simultaneously closes doors and sucks up prime career advancement years (and you will still get screened on certs)

Guy applied to a web dev position at work with a Ph.D. Disqualified for being over qualified.