Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

fyallm posted:

What internal collaboration application do you guys use to communication with other members of your security team? I got asked to evalute some products but it seems like everything is poo poo. Currently I was asked between: Slack, Wire, WhatsApp and Microsoft Teams ...

WhatApp message delivery is somewhat spotty in my area, i would suggest slack or teams depending on availability of office 365(if you have it you should go teams).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

fyallm posted:

We have O365 but for some reason the beta of teams at our place doesnt have a mobile option? Wtf? No phone app?

Unless you guys still have blackberries there are apps for all modern phone platforms... It sound like your o365 team hosed up something...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sirotan posted:

I've been asked to create some kind of repository/system to document exceptions to our data protection agreement policy, and I'm wondering if anyone here has a more novel idea than a folder in Google Drive. Example: we want to deploy Slack, but my university has not yet been able to get Slack to sign a DPA, so using Slack goes against our security policy. The DPA exception is essentially a CYA for my department so that in case we get audited or bad poo poo happens, we can point to the sheet and say that so-and-so overrode our concerns and approved it anyway.

Sorry to break the news but that’s exactly what a share point document library offers/is designed for ... Condolences :(

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Telegram doesn’t do full encrypted moderated channels, just 1-to-1 chats. You get encrypted transport but not encrypted content like signal/WhatsApp/keybase

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Fool posted:

I'm going to suggest something that sounds like a joke, but if signal/telegram are non-starters, this is a real option.

Microsoft Teams

Only one person would need to have o365, everyone else can be added as guests.

Data is encrypted on the servers and in transit.

It has threaded conversations, owners have strong membership controls, and robust built-in file sharing and collaboration features.

If any of the team admins users is compromised and gets its mitts on the ediscovery roles all data is compromised tho, caveat emptor

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CLAM DOWN posted:

Curious, do you all use hard tokens or phone apps for 2FA? We got rid of our RSA fobs in favour of the Microsoft Authenticator app.

We use ms authenticator as our fleet is too mixed for yubikeys(not enough usb-c laptops to go for the usb-c+lightning combo). Android build is a bit buggy but doable, ios build is a tad more stable.

The sole hard tokens we had to handle were for our finance staff and thanks to PSD2 those are gone too(sadly the bank defaulted to sms rather than totp).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

geonetix posted:

I like to believe the MS Teams team works with Teams themselves and that's why they can't get any poo poo done.

Office 365 support explicitly doesn’t support teams, email or phone only.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Without the images, it loses part of the shitpost charm

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arivia posted:

Hey, I don't know where to ask for better advice on this front so I figured I'd try here. I'm looking to make an encrypted folder I can unlock with a password on Windows 10 Home. Just something to stick some Word documents in with sensitive data. Are there any good options for this sort of thing? I'm not expecting any particular attack or concern, but better safe than sorry with research ethics.

e: there's apparently a built in folder encryption function in Windows, is that reasonably secure?

You could make a sealed folder in OneDrive if you consider Microsoft trustworthy. It’s naturally unreachable until you unlock the folder and once you seal it back the local items get synched to OneDrive and removed from explorer access.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Or make an IT ethics thread, the topic is specific enough to warrant a dedicated discussion instead of fading into the generic it discussion thread.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

It will be interesting to see how industry attitudes change to these remote management exploits, whether you'll see clients insisting that MSPs cannot have any persistent agents running as privileged users as even in the best case scenario it's increasing the attack surface (and increasing their costs accordingly as a lot of auto-remediation is removed), or whether MSP customers won't really know to ask for that anyway.

TeamViewer is still the most used unattended home assist tool so you might take a wild guess on what will happen after this hack.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

astral posted:

Wow, it sure is too bad no domain registrars let you use a strong password and MFA. Really a damned shame.

The biggest Italian registrar (Aruba.it) won’t even let you use SMS OTP so yes?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Klyith posted:

The somewhat plausible way they could force a new printer driver architecture would be to move all existing printer drivers into a VM, and have a virtual printer to translate jobs into the legacy system. Otherwise it's a complete no-go, because the printer companies aren't gonna write new drivers for old hardware.

That already exists, it’s called universal print. The sole blocker is being expensive as gently caress(and being a chore to push printers using gpo)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Going back to the topic, Regione Lazio (the Italian county Rome is in) got cryptolocked to the point Covid vax calendaring is compromised(along many other services). Media is keeping a lid on cause and origin.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 2, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I've been air dropped into a flailing corporate InTune project and from what I understand Microsoft "recommends" installing a teamviewer intune connector to allow "hands on" remote assistance/administration of remote PCs?

I can't even type that sentence without screwing up my face.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/remote-actions/teamviewer-support

I 100% can't or don't want to believe that there isn't some way to do this over RDP or something without relying on teamviewer as a third party...

We sidestep this by using quickassist (and a few GPO to make UAC go thru), the teamviewer connector is pretty much a link generatorn, not much else.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I presume the policies to make UAC work is just to disable the prompt being displayed on a secure desktop, rather than anything specific to QuickAssist

We originally did that to make SCCM remote control work so it’s not quickassist exclusive. Weirdly enough every remote control option in the intune docs beside teamviewer seems to have issues with uac.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

Anyone know if this affects Azure on-prem stacks or only the cloud platform?

e: I should probably just read the CVE. It’s too early in the morning and not nearly enough caffeine for me to be thinking clearly.

If you push logs to sentinel or log analytics you have another agent, i think even HCL uses a different stack. It might be used if you have powershell DSC enabled on linux machines on premises.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

The whole webauthn thing has completely passed me by, I'm ashamed to admit. Is there a non-gag recommendation to a good primer? I feel I probably understand individual components and building blocks based on my 30 seconds of googling but not how this fits together.

https://developers.yubico.com/WebAuthn/WebAuthn_Developer_Guide/Overview.html

And

https://fidoalliance.org/fido2/fido2-web-authentication-webauthn/

Should be a decent starting point.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
@martytoof Microsoft has just published one of their passwordless ignite sessions on YouTube which is partly about fido2 in case you want some extra guidance

https://youtu.be/3wtwUh6iyxY

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

It's unfixable, for some reason printer companies have been dragging their heels on implementing a driver model that was first introduced in Server 2012

It doesn’t help when papercut will make any v4 printer drivers running on the papercut host kill the services and v4 on the client will lose most of papercut features.

I honestly hope Microsoft start cutting universal print prices so papercut becomes too expensive in comparison.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hughmoris posted:

At a high level, could someone explain how researchers set up environments for analyzing malware, viruses etc...?

If an analyst wants to dive in to how the latest ransomware file works, what type of environment do they set up to minimize the risk of hosing their own systems and networks? Will a simple Ubuntu VM on VirtualBox do most the time or is there a standard setup for this type of work?

Making an isolated sandbox is trivial, windows offers a integrated option for windows pro/ent customers that requires a couple of click to set up. If you want a complete air gap between local clients and sandbox all you need is a nuc with segregated internet access(or a AWS machine to spin up, compromise and destroy).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

Having malware that shuts down when it detects a server OS on a VM seems to be missing the trend towards having servers be virtualized.

It would be absolutely hilarious if the best defense was "do what we already want to do to make life easy"

A vm with russian language seems to be the current "virus ain't going to run here" mode

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FungiCap posted:

The opsec utilized here is so terrible it's comical. If you're gonna try and pull a big digital heist like this, at least spend a few weeks or months studying and learning how to implement some basic TTPs .

Are you seriously expecting competence, skills and effort from an ubiquiti networks dev?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Maybe I missed this thru the posting but if you decided to nerd out and have a unifi controller hosted on the cloud or exposed to the web in any way, upgrade to 6.5.54 immediately, any other build is vulnerable to this log4j vuln.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I get about five or six random ADFS authentication screens every other week because my token expired in one of the dozen ADFS-SSO apps I have open for work on like one of three corporate devices I own.

My favourite are the ones that ask you for your credentials another two or three times because the actual first screen you put your info into was actually fired at 3am and hasn’t been valid for hours.

I guess I’m not saying that clicking on things blindly is excusable but I can EEEEASILY see myself thinking “oh god drat it what app is trying to log me in now?” and mashing the button if I was in Finance or Marketing or something non-technical.

E: I mean my experience may be completely anecdotal and most companies have a better way of handling SSO. I dunno.

Your SSO setup is wack, unless the powers that be demanded token expiration to be immediate it shouldn't do that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Buff Hardback posted:

QNAP uses textarea rather than input for the username/password fields

so take that as you will as an example of their development prowess

Just checked, username is textarea while password is input.

Also, as per 5.0, QTS will nag you constantly to activate MFA on every user so i think that there are some devs that want security while others don't. Having owned QNAPs for quite a while, there is no need for exposing the nas over then internet since you have their cloud intermediate relay service(which is far faster than synology equivalent in my experience) and native vpn options, but then i only use my nas for file storage and dlna which will happily work on most mediums.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 28, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

Any Eurogoons interested in discussing NIS 2?

I’m skeptical about it since it only mandates audit on a limited basis and the control/management entities it mandates at member basis have been created already by most nato members. What are your thoughts?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

I work for a data centre service provider, and we provide services for a number of public and private entities currently deemed either essential or important or likely to be deemed as such once NIS 2 is passed. I am our senior subject matter expert on security including governance, risk and compliance.

The difference between providing services to an essential entity and *being* an essential entity concern me. Annex I lists data centre service providers as a class under Digital Infrastructure open to be considered essential.

If we're essential, then I have to go through notification of the "competent authorities" of any actual serious incident or any potential significant threat within 24 hours, as well as notifying all my customers of any impact and possible mitigations "without undue delay". If we're not deemed essential, I don't face the same reporting rules.

Now the directive will probably be approved this summer with an implementation period of something like 18 months. So I have to advise my CISO and CEO if we need to make sure our vulnerability reporting is up to snuff - stricter than GDPR breach reporting.

The CEO and VP Legal will probably also be interested that they can be suspended for breaches.

Breach/threat notification under 24 hours is mandated on several members already for public sector(and public controlled in most cases). I work in an italian public entity and ANYTHING foreign that touches data(cryptolockers that wipe storage without recourse included) must be notified to csirt since late 2019. Failure to update csirt is one of the few things i know will have heads roll quick. If you work within the gaia-x framework you are already under similar rules too.
I do am skeptical on the “critical” label, what will get the label? Physical infrastructure for essential services? Datacenter providers that run services for public sector? Software makers for public sector(which are known to have very lax infosec stances)? Any nis2 doc i read doesn’t provide clear guidance.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

underlig posted:

Log 4j continues
CVE-2022-23307 now have a CVSS rating of 10.
(unfortunately im on phone and this is in swedish https://cert.se/2021/12/kritisk-sarbarhet-i-apache-log4j)

In english -> https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2022-23307

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jabor posted:

Wait, so this was identified in 2020, but nobody noticed that a vulnerable version of that library was being used in log4j 1.x as well?

Every infosec bod that ignored the existence of log4j is now laser focused on finding new issues with it to flex on other infosec bods. It's going to last for a while.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just as reference, current QTS 5.0 has 4.13.0 so every qnap nas is potentially exposed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Sorry to interrupt the ssl chat, just wanted to inform that qnap has pushed a qts 5.0 update to address the latest samba cve, samba version is now 4.13.17 .

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Guy Axlerod posted:

I suppose if you used a digital signature on your messages, you could ensure that they were all authentic while they were all still sent in the clear. Other people receiving the signal could also ensure they were authentic if the public keys were available to them. Not sure if that meets the letter of the law but would make me feel better if I had to go that way.

That's what PADES does for files or eidas for messages and is the standard in most European countries

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I know it goes without saying but now it's the time to send mass mails to your employees to warn about weird bullshit, start changing your anti spam filters to drop anything that is not covered by dmarc and so on. Russian state-aligned hackers are going to start hitting targets in nato-aligned countries in a short while IMHO.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sickening posted:

Going to start? :aloom:

I mean that they are going to intensify and possibly start hitting fields that were considered "not juicy enough" rather than targets of opportunity as until now. I'm going to start spooling up veeam tomorrow and anticipate our quarterly restore tests, kinda resigned to get cryptoed soon being in public sector :smith:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/alerts/aa22-054a

Oh joy it has begun

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
in my experience cisa is a decent warning on current issues without going full nerd while csirt/cert units notification are a "kharak is burning" statement when the smoke clears and the best you can hope for is not being a juicy target so you have time to patch everything up

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
@IE sentinel does that(when you bolt in all the defender connectors)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, unfortunately current place is allergic to anything Azure/M365, so I was hoping there was something a little more specific. Something like Tenable, etc. I am going to have a hard time getting them to do anything and it has to be as stand-alone and modular as possible.

You can run sentinel and add each component at your leisure, it will be less effective in cross-checking data the fewer connector you enable. If your firm is 100% onprem it's not the best tool tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
the russian bank is the less worrying leak from anonymous

https://twitter.com/AnonUkraine_/status/1498773498713497600