Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so from this thread i get that there is one really good show and one really bad show, but they got melted together into equally mediocre messes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pavlov posted:

"These racists are so racist at him for being bad at fighting."

"Why did the racists stop hating him now that he's good at fighting?!?"

because he is no longer black, obviously

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Trihugger posted:

I feel like calling it racism is a big misnomer. The set up has more to do with adolescent fantasy fulfillment. Teens feel all akward and crap with a lot of insecurities and confidence issues. That feeling that your school is against you, your parents are against you, and you're nothing special; oh but wait, I'm actually super awesome and can totally bag the hottest, smartest chick in school if I showed off how awesome I am.

That's the reason for the setup and if you think it looks stupidly racist and nonsensical than you are probably a well adjusted adult instead of an ignorant hormone driven teenager.

mahouka quickly ditched the flimsy pseudo-racist magic elitism for regular racism against the chinese. so, even though this largely nonsensical plot device isn't racism i still associate it with racism because i am a broken person and i cant get mahouka out of my head.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the desire to gently caress is shameful and only rapey hooligans straight out of a bad shoujo manga ever admit to it. at most, a male character may express an interest in being a voyeur.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you know, i think we should kill all of the chinese people. let me just destroy a city to get us started.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, for that type of story having other dudes around is just a nuisance.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

a kitten posted:

I somehow, after all this time, can't believe that both shows had a "if i rub your giant boobs, maybe mine will get bigger" gag today.

Are you sure you didn't watch the same show twice by accident?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I guess I don't really understand why Ikki is supposed to be a huge disgrace to the family by being among the top dogs at the academy and bagging himself a real life goddamn princess? Like, what is the Kurogane family's motivation to sabotage him at this point?

Standard ln stuff, they hate him for being too awesome.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It happens all the time in terrible wuxia webnovels. It doesn't really matter if such characters get revenged into a fine paste or not. Their only purpose is to make a mc seem vaguely sympathetic, and they rarely succeed. You kind of need character traits other than 'is perfect' and 'is maybe a little too perfect' for that to happen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Final thoughts: Chivalry has some good points, but it is still not even close to good overall. Asterisk has no good points.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The rest of them are just dumb and boring. Mahouka is dumb, boring and incredibly racist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I will always love mahouka for the extended speech in one of the first few episodes that rich people are rich because they have more valuable skills.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He was joking. The point is that battle academy ln's are mediocre at best and the vast majority never reach that high.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Check out the wn/ln thread sometime. You will learn that aside from a very few exceptions all wn/ln's are trash.

Some of us are just into reading trash, is all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Watching IS at all is the wrong choice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That is a really weak defense. It isn't as if liking bad anime is some horrible crime.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That seems like an overly generous explanation. poo poo authors latch on to whatever is currently popular. There are tons of super power battle high school ln's because that is a rather successful sub-genre.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, we all know the story about that dude's brutal divorce and following breakdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The fmp novels were eventually adapted completely in a manga. Considering that they will never be officially published in english, that's been the best way to finish the story up until now.

• Locked thread