Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Don't.

Edit: The Air Force and Navy have been getting cut for over a decade so they're the opposite of desperate. All services are most desperate for the most lovely jobs. So there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Also, I commissioned at 24 and was the 3rd oldest in my training class, behind a former Army NG captain in his 40s and a guy who broke his leg or something and got washed back more than a year. Everyone else was 22. So enjoy being the grandpa. It'll be far worse if you enlist, which is probably the worst decision you could make.

What do you actually want to do?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If your knees are on their way out and you want to get paid for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jesus gently caress, don't enlist with a degree. There is almost no situation where that's the right answer. I don't know anything about that job specifically, but when you've got the same career field on both sides, GO WITH THE ONE THAT PAYS ALMOST 100K/YEAR AFTER 5-6 YEARS, not the one that REQUIRES YOU TO LIVE IN loving BARRACKS FOR THE FIRST 2-5.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

himurak posted:

I'm full on retard so not going in isn't on my radar. I've literally been trying for years, so recommend me some Army (figuring that's the most likely one to take me) jobs that you all would rather be doing. Obviously officer takes preference.

Quoting for posterity and hilarity.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pesticide20 posted:

Do accounting for the army. You get to make poo poo up and nobody cares.

Honestly it strikes me as a no-brainer. You're going to deal with a lot less bullshit than combat arms, that will probably leave you less physically and mentally broken than most of the people you meet in training, you're probably going to be one of the most competent people in your shop which will help you get rank, you're probably mature enough to dodge most of the stupid poo poo that gets people demoted, and in 3-4 years you'll get the same GI Bill as everyone else which really helps with grad school if there's another direction you want to go.

Note that everyone familiar with the MOS you want is telling you to do literally anything else. Don't be the loving goon-in-a-well.

Edit: Also, you're probably going to be mostly helping unfuck people's pay and maybe processing travel vouchers. The system is well established and mostly contracted out, so you're not going to be doing a lot of/any of the poo poo you did in college.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That sounds relatively neat. Especially since ADA is an area the US is finally starting to pay attention to, after not doing much for the past 30 except iterative upgrades to Patriot (mostly by riding the coattails of other systems).

Edit: V Hood is one.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 8, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm concerned that people might see that as a joke.

It's seriously not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Is she quitting college? Why?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goddamn there's a lot going on there.

If she goes for a security clearance, tell her not to lie. That'll gently caress her over much worse than anything to do with weed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Under Total Force, you shouldn't be treated any differently in that regard.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dick Burglar posted:

I just spoke with an army recruiter earlier today and he told me the max age is actually 31, so once you turn 32 you're cut off. I asked about this specifically because I am currently 31. For reserves, the age cutoff is 35.

I know people are going to say "don't join you idiot" but I'm looking into some branch's officer reserves as an option. I figured being a pilot would be cool (I got Lasik and ended up with 20/15 vision), but who knows what the gently caress I'd end up as, since apparently you get no real say in the matter. And I'm good at making terrible life decisions--what's one more? :v:

You realize the people saying "don't join you idiot" usually have very good reasons for saying so?

Under the "Total Force" concept, the reserves and NG (across all services) no longer get the old hand-me-downs like in decades past...the ANG flew F-106s almost into the 1990s, but nowadays Virginia has an ANG fighter wing that actually flies F-22s. The tradeoff is that they have a relatively equal share of deployments. So just because you're looking at the reserves doesn't mean you're going to pull a GWB and stay home...if it's any kind of operational career field, you're going downrange. And it's going to gently caress with your civilian job/family life.

Here's a fun mental exercise:
USAF fighter pilots approaching the end of their commitments are being offered a retention bonus of up to $455,000. Taking the full amount carries a pilot into military retirement (which pays usually a 50% pension starting immediately, it doesn't wait until you're 65), paying out $35k per year over 13 years (again, that's a BONUS on top of base pay, flight pay, COLA, housing and subsistence allowances). The previous max was 432k at 25k/year...and as you can tell, it didn't work. Retention numbers were still awful, and the AF is still at "crisis levels" of manning. Now, how bad must things be for a fighter pilot, who is guaranteed to get laid in at least 75% of bars across the country and earning 7 figures in roughly 8 years of having one of the coolest goddamned jobs in the entire world, to turn down almost half a million dollars and a federal pension at the halfway point?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It sounds like he wants a part-time job.

GO BE A DOOR GREETER AT WALMART.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: Enjoy being a Security Forces officer, supervising the enlistees who scored high enough to join the AF but not high enough to hand out towels at the gym.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ok, I just read all of your posts in here.

WHAT are you actually trying to become? WHAT are you actually trying to get out of the military?
These are questions that will shape what information we can give you so you can avoid the biggest mistake of your life either by joining for reasons unsupported by reality, or by pointing you in the right direction so you actually get what you want out of the system. The recruiter cannot be trusted on hooking you up in any way, shape, or form.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The AF offers those slots to academy, ROTC, OTS, in that order.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dick Burglar posted:

Not really, that's why I was trying to justify OCS. I just don't know what officer jobs I'd actually want (that I could get into).

You're literally trying to talk yourself into making a bad decision.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Absolutely, now.

And the commissioning physical has nothing to do with rated, it's not a flight physical. It should just be the standard one.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think it's the latter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They are commissioned officers in the uniformed services.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And FFS have a plan on how to actually maximize the time you're buying yourself. Wring every benefit you can out of it, get every cert/qual/paper you can.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Counterpoint: I didn't see my kid for 3 years.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I just posted this in the AF thread, but this is a good spot for it too.

That recruiter probably doesn't deal with officers joining. He doesn't want to lose you for his quota. It's that simple. Get the contact info for your area's officer accessions recruiter. Might still be an enlisted person, but the process is different enough that the AF splits them up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DO NOT loving ENLIST WITH A DEGREE.

I went the AFOTS route, I know how this works. Test #1 is literally to see if you'll figure out the difference, test #2 is usually to see if you're persistent enough to maintain contact. Honestly not making this up. Call a random AF recruiter and ask for the right one. That's the easiest way. If they give you poo poo, ask to talk to the NCOIC and ask him.

Edit: What career field are you pursuing? You've got a couple of folks here who've done this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Well thank god I'm a something awful member, huh? The recruitment office I've been going to is the only one in my area. I wouldn't know about any of this if I didn't have a community I could ask here.

Regarding career field I was probably looking at working with public affairs, intelligence, or cryptography. Thing is, I guess officer jobs don't really correspond to enlisted jobs? So I don't have a list of the positions I was interested in anymore.

I had the sense I was getting played with all this time, but I wasn't sure if that was just the general feeling I had about life after graduating college, or if I was more specifically getting suckered with the recruiters.

Ok, step one for you is to figure out what you actually want to do. Don't join because it's a steady paycheck. Forfuckingreal do not do that. I recommend starting with where you want to end up, then working backwards from that. For example, if you want to be a defense contractor making $90-100k/year in Ohio turning imagery into powerpoint slides, intel officer is a good path. Public Affairs could be a path into something media-related. I met a PA Lt Col whose loving job was to rub elbows with Hollywood and negotiate the details of USAF assets appearing in movies.

Officer jobs don't correspond exactly to enlisted because they aren't staffed 1-to-1, and they don't do the same work. As an officer you'll be supervising programs and/or people. You probably won't be making many real decisions though, you'll just be the conduit for higher-up guidance to filter down to everyone below (this varies, but is pretty accurate for most career fields, at least for 2Lts). Enlisted, you'll either be the worker bee doing the work that the officer will get credit for, or you'll wonder what the hell you're doing because most of your job is ACTUALLY done by contractors and you find yourself basically being the janitor and/or snack bar operator. You'll also be living in the dorms, dealing with room inspections, being the guy at the bottom of the hill as poo poo rolls down, etc.

Officer accessions recruiters are much rarer than the run-of-the-mill strip mall recruiting office. I was living in Utah when I joined; my nearest OA recruiter was in Bountiful, about a half hour away. She retired shortly after submitting my OTS package (thank god she got all the work done), and I was reassigned to a recruiter in Spokane, WA (who was loving worthless). You can do 95% of the work via phone or email. The only other things I can think of would be an interview with an officer, and the medical exams. For the interview, I think they can do that at the nearest military facility. For me, she brought in a local Air National Guard KC-135 pilot. He wasn't affiliated with the recruiting office at all, he worked at the airport. Medical will be done at MEPS along with everyone else. Note: even at this stage you will see that you are treated better than the enlisted recruits. I had my own hotel room (they did not). I had nobody riding my rear end from exam to exam (they did). I did not have to do loving pushups in the waiting room (some of them did, probably Marine recruits). I was left alone to read my book between steps. If you decide to go after a flying position (pilot, nav, ABM) and you need a flight physical, you'll get that at a military hospital/clinic. If you have to travel for any of that, they'll pay for it. Even though I lived 4 miles from Hill AFB, they flew me to Fairchild AFB in Spokane for my flight physical. Air, hotel, per diem all paid (which was really loving stupid, but whatever).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 22, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yes, but it's not difficult in any way, shape, or form. It's paperwork. Get your letters of recommendation. Take the AFOQT and get a good score. Report to MEPS on time. Show up to the interview on time. Get official transcripts ready. These are not difficult tasks by any stretch, but I just listed like 90% of the process. The biggest difference is you don't have someone riding your rear end to get it done. You're expected to act like a responsible grownup and have your poo poo together. THAT is the deliberate "difficulty."

Edit: What they're looking for is someone who doesn't need to be babysat. Granted, once you're in you WILL be babysat to a degree, but responsibility, reliability, and trustworthiness are the keys to success here. Nothing more than that. It's the same line of thinking as with security clearances: nobody cares if you smoked pot once or twice; they WILL care if you lie about it.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 22, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I managed to get in contact with the nearest officer recruiter (a state over) and he told me the waiting list to get into OTS is two years. He recommended I enlist and then apply for OTS through there.

His recommendation is bullshit and honestly makes me question his integrity. You don't just get to apply as an enlisted member, you have to jump through a bunch of stupid hoops and then literally ask your commander to let you apply.

I suggest waiting until the current funding fiasco in Congress is relatively stabilized (when a budget or a continuing resolution that lasts through September - aka the rest of FY18) and try again. My first phone call to my recruiter, I was told all slots for the rest of the FY were full. I called back in Oct.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

No no, I got that. I won't enlist, no matter what. Hell, I might drop the military and try for the Foreign Service instead.

There's nothing saying you can only try for one at a time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's exactly why the AF separates them. Nobody does both. They changed it a few years ago, and it only lasted 1 or 2 years before they split it back up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you base your decision on what service or career field to pursue upon how soon you ship, that's immediately a point in the "moron" column. Unless you're really only interested in wearing the uniform and don't care about anything else, in which case it's two.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's almost certainly a commitment for SLRP; if his contract is terminated prior to his completion of the commitment, it's gone. This is how they treat GI Bill transferability.

Edit: V True, I was only looking at the "outgoing" contract. The new officer contract's contents are based primarily on current wind speed and direction.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 14, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HELLBITCH posted:

I don't know if I should listen to the E8 and E6 in my family encouraging me and saying this adversity and struggling will redeem me in their eyes or internet strangers just telling me that this will be full of adversity and struggle and not to do this because of that

:thunk:

e: PM me if you want to further point out how I am an idiot, I am reading and holding on to what you guys say but don't want to continue to clog up this thread just dismissing poo poo

Next time they say something like that, tell them this: "gently caress your redemption, I don't need it."

Because you don't. gently caress them in their stupid asses.

Edit: Live YOUR life. Not theirs. They're much farther on the downward slope of their lifetime, and based on what you've told us so far almost everyone who knows them at work thinks they're poo poo human beings. I'm inclined to agree. Don't follow in the footsteps of people like that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Coast Guard

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You're literally trying to get a job where "death" is a reasonable occupational hazard, and you're almost guaranteed to have hosed joints and spine before you're old enough to run for President. So your family members will respect you.

I'll say it again: gently caress THEM.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You know how you can walk up stairs and your knees aren't screaming by the time you get to the next floor? Enjoy that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

nwin posted:

Hey so a question for anyone that's been married and AD before, because I'm not sure what the right answer is...

My home of record: Arizona.

Her birth place and home of record when we married: Massachusetts

Where we currently live, due to PCS: Massachusetts

Where she works: Massachusetts

Does she keep her Mass license, or does she need to get one from Arizona?

As far as taxes are concerned, would she just be a non-resident in Massachusetts and maybe have to pay Arizona state income taxes? I'm exempt from Arizona taxes due to being active duty-not sure if it is the same for her.

We will only be here for another year, and then off to another state which won't be Arizona or Massachusetts, so I'm sure the fun will continue. I believe under the Military Spouses Residency Relief Act, that she can become a resident of Arizona-just not entirely sure if she has to or can maintain Massachusetts if she chooses.

You can basically do whatever you want. On AD, you (the royal you, meaning both) can choose to change residency to the state you're stationed in, but if you're on orders to be there you don't HAVE to. You can't do both, however. Whichever state you're a resident of, you have to follow their tax law. Example: my home of record was in Utah, and at the time I joined there was no clause releasing me from paying state taxes even though I was stationed in Florida, because I was still a Utah resident (that has since changed). Once I found THAT out (the hard way) I changed to a local/Florida resident (no income tax). When I PCSed to Oklahoma, I maintained my Florida residency; had I changed to OK I'd have been subject to OK's income tax.

Her home of record is pretty much irrelevant to the military. Yours is the only one that matters, and really it only matters at separation, when you get a final PCS up to the cost of going to your home of record.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

Not when tax time rolls around!

False. Your state residency is what matters, not your home of record. They start off the same, but changing residency is easy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Unless it's electronic now, when I changed my residency from home of record to Florida, I had to turn in a 1-page form to Finance (which I think was just for tax purposes), and do any one of a dozen things like get a FL driver's license, buy property, register my car locally, register to vote locally, etc. BAM residence changes, no more state income tax, and home of record stays the same.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

All of the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't have an answer, but reservists might have a different set of rules. I know Guard does.