Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

blue squares posted:

I'm signing up for a teaching certificate program at my school. For the summer stuff, I want to use Hazlewood instead of GI Bill so I don't use up all my benefits before I graduate, and the summer stuff includes a paid internship. Can I do that?

Also, just keeping folks updated on the saga of blue squares, I am now teaching weekly creative writing courses in a jail in my area.

Unless I am misreading it, which is certainly possible, Hazelwood applies after you've exhausted your Federal benefits.

quote:

Have no federal Veteran’s education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31; for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits

http://www.tvc.texas.gov/Hazlewood-Act.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Go ask the XO Command Master Chief really nicely? Who cares if you jump the chain of command; you're practically expected to be insolent at the end of your tour.

He's an O and that's about the only thing you can do.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Typically you're not allowed to dip into both pots. You can get a pension (which is taxable income) or VA compensation (which is not). The mechanism they use is lowering your pension whatever amount you're getting paid by the VA.

The combat exclusion means that you're allowed to get money from both. IIRC vasudus and a few others here have it as well.

Also, don't go to the state VA office unless it's a VSO. If you were in Florida I could point you in the right direction, but I can't say for other states. American Legion affiliated VSOs are usually a safe bet.

FWIW, I'm had good luck last year and 2012 with DAV (Disabled American Veterans) helping me with my claim. Although that was for very minor issues. I have heard VFW does good work too. Probably, like with most things in life, it all comes down to the location and people working there.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Godholio posted:

Any luck with that even if it's not documented by hilariously incomplete med records?

I am not sure if it was in my records but, I told the civilian who tested me that when I was shipboard we were basically right below the flight deck and when I was in Afghanistan we were very close to a helicopter LZ and ended up getting my 10%. Most days it isn't too bad but sometimes it is just terrible.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Rekinom posted:

Okay , I got my medical records, and now I'm gonna pull the trigger on getting a tinnitus claim in. I don't want to gently caress it up by doing something stupid paperwork wise.

I already initiated it online and everything. Uploaded my DD-214, my personnel record printout from the Air Force, and flying records. Do I need to upload my medical records too? I have zero history of seeing a doc because of tinnitus, but going through it I did visit a doc once cause of dizziness resulting from an inner ear imbalance.

The internets also said I should submit a sworn statement explaining how I got tinnitus, and why I didn't see. doctor for it while I was on active duty. But it said to do it on a word document, not the VA form. Is that true?

Also I plan to submit more claims in the future, so are they all treated independently or can a fuckup with tinnitus claim screw up my claim for my knee later on?

Or should I just bring all this poo poo to a VSO? Someone recommended DAV....do I need to join their org or do they do it for an off the street guy like me? Like I said, this is my first shot at a claim and I don't want to gently caress it up.

Call your local DAV office to schedule an appointment. It is free to join and they walk you through it all. The claim process was way more streamlined when I did it last year vice 2012. They had the electronic medical records to send to the VA whereas before had to make a copy of my records to send. Even if you don't go with DAV, don't do it alone. VSOs deal with this stuff day-in and day-out, you don't. Just my 2c on the matter.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Anyone more knowledgeable, please correct me if I am wrong

vulturesrow posted:

On that note, aren't I entitled to a year or something of free mental health care with the VA post retirement?

I'm going to talk with the VSO rep that prepared my claim but I want to see what the SA hivemind has to say as well.

e: To clarify one of my concerns here, I'm a little concerned because my understanding is that since I'm within 1 year of my decision the entire claim would have to be reviewed and not just this one particular rating. I'd hate to lose points off my overall rating because of this

https://www.oefoif.va.gov/ as you have no doubt been deployed on a carrier/amphib and got your OEF ribbon, you get five years care for issues from that (which I would guess would be most things)

https://www.vetcenter.va.gov/ on the mental health side of things, Vet Centers are located in many more places than hospitals and can help you out.

Wrr posted:

I kinda have no clue where to even begin finding a school for a graduate program. I'm living in the South Bay, CA right now there seems be nothing around for sociology. Do I need to attend the school in person in order to get that E5 COLA pay? I want that loving COLA pay. How did you all go about school hunting? All the googling I'm doing just comes up with terrible websites that claim to have information on schools in the area, but don't do poo poo other than vaguely describe what a degree is.

Also does the VA help any with paying for GREs and whatnot?

You need to be going more than half of your hours on-ground and not online/virtual to get the E5 w/dependence MHA. If you are totally virtual, then you get the national average which is ~$825/month. The GI Bill can pay for your GRE however, it will use up one month of benefits so, not a good trade-off.

Edit: Some more info https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/resources/benefits_resources/rates/ch33/ch33rates080118.asp

quote:

National Testing Programs/Licensing & Certification Tests
You can be reimbursed up to $2,000 per test. Your entitlement will be charged one month for every $1,974.91 paid to you rounded to the nearest non-zero whole month; this means even low-cost tests are charged one month of entitlement per test.

Edit 2: I might be incorrect about the less than half on-ground, it might just be as long as you have a single on-ground class you get that campus locations MHA

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 18, 2018

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I did the Ask a Question in the GI Bill and they didn't seem to like dealing with a hypothetical so figured I'd see if anyone here knew (like Vas)

When I enlisted I paid into the MGIB-AD (Active Duty). A few years ago I relinquished that for the post-9/11 and used that for my MS. I am working on an MSW and will exhaust my 36 months by the end of the program. My rate in the reserve has a reenlistment bonus again and was thinking that if I was going to be going out to 20 good years for that, I saw that it made me eligible for the MGIB-SR (Selected Reserve). Is there a maximum amount of month you can receive GI Bill benefits between the different chapters? I realize MGIB-SR is a pittance but figured having something additional isn't bad after I exhaust my post-9/11.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

Can't help you but this isn't the first time I've heard of this although it being in another country is a new wrinkle. I have my important mail like this sent to my parent's place and they tried to pull this poo poo on me. My parents got the letter and opened it for me and saw I had an appointment like the day after the letter arrived for a place an hour and a half away. Luckily I was actually living only a few minutes away on my regular day off so I was able to make it but I looked online later and saw other people were falling prey to this and being denied to the point people were beginning to wonder if this was intentional. Normally I wouldn't put much stock in conspiracy theories but it almost happened to me.

McNally_Dead_Veterans_Don't_Use_Benefits_Cell_Phone_Background dot gif

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

GoGoGadget posted:

Post 9/11 GI Bill BAH is based on the BAH national average, correct? I have looked everywhere but I cannot find this number. All of the information I can find is specific to certain ZIP codes.

National average is if you are exclusively online and is $825.00/month.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/resources/benefits_resources/rates/ch33/ch33rates080118.asp

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I know it has been brought up in this thread or elsewhere here but getting a free lifetime National Parks Service access pass is available if you have a 10%+ disability rating or a free annual pass if you're still in (and includes SELRES but not IRR)

For the lifetime access pass:
https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/60590/disabled-veterans-eligible-free-national-park-service-lifetime-access-pass/

https://store.usgs.gov/access-pass

You can either pay $10 to do it online or by mail or free in-person. Once you pay the :tenbux: you upload the VA summary of benefits letter and a photo ID and get it in the mail in about a month.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I used DAV when I came off active in 2012 and off mobilization in 2017. It was so much easier 5 years later and they were great to work with. Then again mine was simple claims like tinnitus and foot issues so ymmv

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Is the 5 year review only if you're at a certain percentage? I had 0% for one knee and foot in 2012 (left AD) and then 10% for tinnitus and 0% for toe issue in 2017 (demobbed)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Question for those that use the VA as their PCP, has that worked alright for minor issues? I realize, like any medical care, it depends on the facility. The second question is if I wasn't using the VA for primary care and only went to the hospital for C&P and get my service-connected VA ID, is there any issue with using urgent care/ER/ED before I get seen in a new location as a new patient?

I ask as we are moving to Durham, NC, soon and I recently graduated with my MSW so I haven't been applying for stuff until I get in-state and can be licensed. The state health option is very good cost-wise (basically close to the single cost of Tricare Reserve Select) but is an extra $500 to add family to it. I don't see the point in that when I have the VA and future employment.

Edit: So I looked on the VA's site and it appears I need to be seen for care within the last 24 months. I guess I'll call tomorrow to schedule an appointment to check that off so if the :xcom: level chance of something happens between 1 July and whenever I find gainful employment, I won't need a burner name for an ED visit

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 24, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Thanks for posting this. I realized I started this when I got back in 2017 and never finished it because :effort:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

xaarman posted:

Question -

My friend got out of the USAF in 2010 after serving 6 years (and two OIF deployments) as a Security Forces Officer. He's been a Police Officer for the past 10 years, and his knees are starting to give him problems, along with a few other issues (burn pit stuff, etc). Should he go direct to a VA office, or do VFW/DAV on his behalf? What's step 1? I did Benefits at Discharge so don't have any experience with what this process would be.

Gracias

I used DAV both times I left AD and they were great (big difference filing 2012 vs. 2017). Using a Veteran Service Organization will be the best way since their condition might not be documented in their military medical records so DAV or w/e VSO can help them with that regard.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Had a good initial phone call with my PCP yesterday and blood work done this morning. Was in and out of the small clinic here and on to other Friday errands. Then again my only chronic issue is gout, needed the blood work before she'd prescribe for that, so not exactly a difficult patient

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

So getting settled into our new location I had a phone call with my new VA PCP, blood draw, and got my RX from the Doc and all is good.

I am going to be starting a new job Tuesday and will be back using BCBS. I consider myself a man of modest intelligence but having read the VA's page here (https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/hbco/hbco_va_other_insurance.asp) I feel no closer to understanding how the VA works with private insurance.

Would someone mind helping me out with this one, please and thank you?

Edit: After looking at the differences in plans with BCBS and VA, my real question is that BCBS charges a co-pay of $150 for urgent care visits whereas VA is free for the first three and $30 after. I was just trying to figure out how that interacts.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 14, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/iava/status/1348434454130298880?s=20

Just spent 10 minutes changing my password and then reestablishing 2FA as I got a new phone so that I could fillout a form that who knows how it may help

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

Welp, fingers crossed. I got accepted to grad school, now I'm gonna try to get voc rehab to pay for it.

Congrats on getting accepted to grad school and good luck with getting the VA to pay for it

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

When I was doing my MSW, when I got into my community placement for internship I got local BAH instead of national average and that made all the difference from debt into little extra

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mustang posted:

Last month I finished my 2 year grad school program and I just checked with the VA and I have over half of my GI Bill benefits left.

What are some interesting ways to put this to use part-time or on the weekends? Definitely not going to be going back to school as a full-time student again.

First thing that comes to mind to me is something art or culinary-related, since they're hobbies of mine.

You say that but I went back for another Masters to change careers (from Intel in the mil to civ IT to finally Social Work - yes I'm stupid and moved in increasingly dumb directions), I was happy to have had the benefits to do both an MS and MSW with still some benefits remaining. If you don't ever have plans to go back to change careers then go ahead with finding some cooking program to run out your benefits and get some extra cash but it never hurts to have a back-up plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

If you're using the VA, you can sign up for this to COVID tests and then (if you get sick) treatment via telemedicine for free

https://www.test2treat.org/s/?language=en_US