Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So, I was talking to some of my coworkers and Hiring For Heroes is pretty legit. https://www.hireheroesusa.org/resume-tools/

Essentially they'll write your resume, and work with you until you get a job that you want. They won't stop calling you or emailing you until you tell them to stop, and are there to help you network to get the job you're looking or and tailor your resume to such. I like it, and figured others could use it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Wanted to give an update on that Hiring for Heroes thing. I just got my resume back and the dude working with me is going to help me get a linkedin account and start to network. The resume was great, took a few days, but looks really good. Naturally it will be modified to each job I apply to, and he'll do that for me. Seriously, if you give it a go, it'll help out if you're hurting trying to get a job.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cole posted:

Can I get lasik at the VA and if I can how big of a risk is lasik in the hands of the VA?

I'd recommend PRK instead of Lasik. I got PRK and it's awesome. Apparently if the doctors gently caress up or weird happenstance, the flap they open from lasik can rip off.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Anyone know how long you have after separating to move on the govt.'s dime? I'm planning on moving to San Diego, just got to sell my house and poo poo. Lots of stuff.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Question. So I have two disqualifying conditions for the military for the medboard. In order to get an idea on my percentages, do they count both percentages before doing the weird hosed up math? Or do they count one leg then go to the other in the "healthy body" status like my 2 status conditions fit (PTSD and other stuff)?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Pesticide20 posted:

First percentage against 100%, second against what's left.

eta: rounded to the nearest ten.

I have a 30%, 20%, and 10% for 50%

Even if it's the same condition just different legs? They don't lump it as a single condition for both, but separately. Which is dumb imo.

Delizin posted:

So they changed the way medboards work a few years back. It used to be that the Army would come up with it's own percentage and the VA would have another one. Now the VA decides both percentages, but only the conditions that are disqualifying will count for the Army and everything counts for the VA.

To come up with your disability percentages the VA uses the VA Schedule for Rating Disabilities Book C. They will compare the description and severity of your conditions as stated in your NARSUM and medical records and try to match it up with the condition in the VASRD. If they can't find your specific condition in it they will try to find the closest thing, but keep in mind the person doing the rating most likely isn't a doctor or medical professional, so you can get hosed if they don't really understand what is wrong with you and assign you to a wrong condition. I had that happen to me twice and had to appeal and tell them specifically what VASRD condition I wanted them to list me under and why. That made the difference between getting out with 10% and 100%.

The VASRD also details how they add up all your disability ratings to get your total level of disability here:
http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/docs/regs/38CFR/BOOKC/PART4/S4_25.doc

Thanks. Yeah, the math and stuff is all weird, but my main goal is to at least get 30. Target is 30. Depending on how they do the math I could make or fail that. I know the VA does something different which is important, but I'm just wanting to make sure I make it past that 30% threshold

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Delizin posted:

So for the same condition on different limbs it is rated as a bilateral condition: http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/docs/regs/38CFR/BOOKC/PART4/S4_26.doc

If they don't give you 30%, appeal before you get out. First go through the VASRD and look for any conditions that you forgot to include in your medboard then if you find anything new that you can backup with medical evidence you can demand a formal PEB and ask that those conditions be included. You can also ask that any conditions that were not disqualifying be changed to disqualifying if you can support it with AR 40-501, Standards of Medical Fitness. Then you can also appeal any ratings you receive from the VA once before you get out. The VASRD will tell you the requirements to get a rating changed from 10% to 30%, etc.

You mentioned PTSD earlier which has some special rules that will likely result in you being given TDLR instead of PDLR. In this case you will have to see a VA doctor every so often and they will determine if your condition has improved, worsened or stabilized. If it has improved they can recommend to the PEB that you be returned to duty and if the PEB agrees you will resume your service obligation where you left off. If it has stabilized or a certain number of years have passed they will recommend that you be moved to the PDLR and given a permanent rating which could be higher or lower than the one that you had on the TDLR.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/docs/regs/38cfr/bookc/part4/s4_127%20to%20129.doc

TDLR is only if PTSD is a disqualifying factor. Since mine is not (it could have been) it will allow me PDRL. That document is good though. Bilateral would combine the two percentages and then add 10% of that condition. So if my legs were at 20% each, it would come out to 20+20= 40 + 10%= 44% That's nifty. I'm also drat sure going to dispute it if I don't hit 30.

Thanks for the help though! 30% is just permanent medical care for me right? Not my family?

Soulex fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 10, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Delizin posted:

Family too! You are essentially given the same retirement benefits as someone who did 20 years, just with less money.

For the bilateral, a 20% rating for each leg would only be combined to 36% then the 10% would be added to that for a total of 42%. That would then be rounded down to a final rating of 40% if you have no other conditions rated since anything >5 is rounded down and 5 or higher is rounded up to the next 10 as the final step. This is described in §4.25.

That's only failing conditions right? Or is that everything all included? I know the VA is everything but I think the Army is just failing conditions.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

*DO NOT GET A MILITARY STAR CARD*

I mean I don't know if they are bad or not, I just know that 99% of soldiers don't pay them and the CO gets a letter

Also, to my knowledge, the star card will only count AGAINST your credit rating. Making payments will not help it.

If you are struggling with credit do this easy thing right here.

1) Get your annual free credit report at any of the big 3, like Experian
2) Dispute EVERYTHING NEGATIVE on your account
3) If the companies do not respond within the mandated 30 days, it will be erased from your record
4) After 30 days, feel free to check back in. Typically, Experian or someone will offer free months to keep you subscribed.

My result: I paid a one month subscription for my credit stuff, ended up with 3 months. My credit went from 450 something to 620 in a month because of what I did above.

Anything will fall off after 7 years, so even if they do respond, it's just a matter of time before it goes away.

OK. My turn to ask a question:

Can VOC REHAB and the 9/11 GI Bill be used at the same time?
What are some good things to look into as a medically retired vet going to college?
I bought my house with USAA and used my VA loan to get it. I now need to start to sell my house which I'll do through USAA. Is there anything to help protect me if I can't sell it in time that I move to San Diego? Can the VA loan be used more than once? If not, what other options are there?
What should I focus on benefits wise as a soldier being medically discharged from the military?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Oh, so it can be used more than once, as long as I don't owe anything on the previous one. Makes sense. Thanks!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

GaelicNinja posted:

You can't use Voc Rehab and the GI Bill at the same time. On the other hand, if you qualify for both, you can elect to use Voc Rehab and get paid like it's the GI Bill. Alternatively, you can use the GI Bill and still have access to another 12 months of Voc Rehab education bennies.

what's the difference between them? I thought I read somewhere that it got passed around 2011 saying you could.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So which would be better to use for making sure I have a place to live and feeding my wife and kids? 9/11 seems like the sure bet, but I am not well versed in the VOC REHAB thing.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

psydude posted:

Is there a time limit on filing a disability claim? My back injury from Afghanistan has flared up again, and I've decided to get help from a real doctor instead of the VA, which told me last year to just take ibuprofen and that physical therapy wasn't necessary.

Not to my knowledge. I know someone that filed a disability claim 3 years after the fact and ended up with 70%

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ptolemaeus posted:

So, I am currently ETSing through the early release for university drop. Unfortunately I am at a smallish OCONUS base and there aren't a lot of resources for help/questions.

I've had a four year problem that developed during service with a permanent profile for testicular pain which I've had numerous ultrasounds, urinalysis, pissing into a machine while some old dude watched, urologist visits out the rear end. I've never been given an official diagnosis on why my junk hurts all the time and will randomly swell from time to time. I've mostly been given bandaid treatments and whoknows.

I spoke with my doc at the TMC, and was told that the phase 1 and phase 2 physical here when clearing is not the full thing, and you don't meet with a VA guy or anything and I have to do a follow-up when I get back state-side.

The issue is, after logging into Tricare-online, half the exams and tests I am looking at are randomly labeled Pain or generic terms that don't explicitly link to the testicular problem and I am worried that this is going to screw me over. What should I be doing now before June when I get out to make the best claim for VA on this issue so I can get it treated by a real doctor on the outside? Normally I wouldn't care and would just be happy for freedom, but this is about my testicles and its causing quality of life/sexual issues as well.

I'll let you know that right now, this very thing, is something I'm having to fight the VA on for giving me 0% on. It was the cause of a P2 profile, surgery, and numerous pain management visits.

Get as much paperwork as you can regarding this issue, and make sure you 1)make copies of it and 2) submit it with your VA claim. They tend to not look at that stuff in my experience and rely on their QTC appointments to get things sorted.

Best of luck, let me know how it goes.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So questions now that my Formal PEB is over and the end is nigh...So far my estimated Army disability is 60% but will move up to 70% as soon as the VARR goes through on my legs. The VA will be going up from 70% to 80%.

1) Over 30% gives what benefits? Tricare, On base privileges, and what else?
2) Do my family get Tricare benefits too?
3) Dental?
4) Considering that I'm on medication right now (5, to include opiates) how do I make sure that I continue to keep getting my medication? Especially since I'll be leaving this state and moving to California. Running out is something I don't want to do. I tried once, it sucked.
5) Since I'm relocating to CA, and my home of record is FL, how do they plan on getting me and my family down there? If we drive, how do we get paid for it? Also, will transportation ship 1 car? If not, no biggie, but I'd rather not leave my wife alone in the car driving along the coast with our 2 kids in the back possibly screaming their heads off.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thank you!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

It can also be tied in to other ratings, I've heard of people having it coupled up with their anxiety and a few other diagnosis. Some military hospitals have civilians on a loan from the VA that sit in an office and answer questions about ratings. The quality of these people may vary.

If you have any questions on payment coverage for different things, try getting a hold of a Health Benefits Advisor (job titles may vary a little depending on location), but it's pretty much a person in a hospital whose sole purpose in life is to code the referrals sent in and out of a hospital to rate if the government should foot the bill or if responsibility for treatment falls on the patient. This can be helpful in preventing you from getting the bill after seeing a provider for a while, only to find out that what you were seen for wasn't covered. I've only seen this happen in some cases of mental health from patients, but it's best to be safe than pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for an appointment/medications you've already gone to/picked up. A case manager might also be able to get you a list of approved providers in the area covered by the government insurance, but their job is primarily in getting information from hospitals about patients being seen outside of the military/government healthcare system.

I do anyways. I am 10% with Bruxism. Basically grinding my teeth and soreness of the jaw because of.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I need some info please:

I'm looking for someone I can work with in regard to claims and stuff with the VA.
I'm also looking for programs, grants, whatever that will help give me some extra cash while going to school. We're already gonna do WIC because we have two kids (9mo and 2yr) and it helps a lot, but literally anything to do with veterans benefits and actual income that we can use for other stuff would be nice.
How long does it take to get the "terminate" or whatever code that happens when you no longer are active or whatever in DFAS? I want to pull my TSP money out and move it and goddamn they are the worst pieces of poo poo I have ever loving encountered in my life and I hope that company gets loving audited and everyone goes to goddamn jail. I can't even request to pull my money out until DFAS sends them that code. Not even if I email or mail a copy of my DD214. I'm gonna stop before I loving rant on how loving scandalous this goddamn company is.
Hopefully someone gets to my Vocrehab packet soon. How long till I should start showing up or calling?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It's great. Just sold my house after using it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So I got a call from a VocRehab person down here and they said they were gonna email me with appointment times. It's been a week. Do I have to start the whole loving process over again?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hey so...My wife is probably pregnant and we need to get our poo poo sorted with Tricare. They said we are only available for standard but if we pay the whatever we can have prime. I thought that my family got prime for free because my disability rating was 60% Army. Is this right or am I wrong?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TBeats posted:

You have to pay for prime. My disability is higher than yours and I have to pay for it as well. We just have access to care at VA clinics/hospitals.

It's still like a bajillion dollars cheaper than using civilian private healthcare. I haven't signed up for it but I am planning on it because I have heard good things about it.

Makes sense.

Now I need to dispute my ratings.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Started school 2 weeks ago and I still haven't received my book stipend.

What can I do?

Did you turn that letter of eligibility into the school?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Everything has been sent. Apparently they can't even give me a time frame :psyduck:

I really need to get that stipend :ohdear:

I remember this happening back in 2012 and it seriously hurt my grades. I thought 4 years would be enough to fix some of the problems the VA had :/

Any veteran orgs out there that can help you buy books and a computer when the VA doesn't come through?

#1 check your Veterans Office at school. Apparently they have a library of books from classes that vets don't need anymore that we leave for each other since (some of us) we get free books.

#2 if they don't have your book AND you can find it online, buy it, and do the DRM removal, then charge back. I mean you actually have to return it and if this is too :filez: I'll remove this.

#3 sign your class IX authorization or whatever it's loving called. This is assuming you did number 4.

#4 have you done FAFSA? No? Why not. You can't get money from #3 if the school does not have money to give you. All that chapter bullshit authorization is doing is letting the school use the funds you got through grants for other things. If it isn't, then it is refunded to you.

#5 buy a computer on credit or something. There is a tax break for people who are going to school, and can prove they need it for school (I have never had to prove but FYI) and you get something like 35% back or possibly more. It's probably more because I think I paid a total of 400 for my big rear end iMac.

#6 work study

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Not to mention sometimes professors have a direct hand in the book and it naturally creates an issue. Also best case scenario is to ask your professors how much of the syllabus is book heavy. They might suggest not even buying the book like some of mine have done.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Even if you are rich as gently caress, you qualify for FAFSA. Seriously.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Who would I talk to about not being paid correctly via VA? So, unless my math is wrong...

50% + 44% (20+20+10%) = 72

72% + 10% = 75%. So I should technically be rated 80% correct?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Pesticide20 posted:

Just want to let you know that 20% of 50 is 10, so it should be 50% leftover, then 40%, 32%, ~29%, then ~26% leftover at the end. Should be getting ~74% disability. Using the table at

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/rates-index.asp#combined

I went to the intersection of 71 and 10 to get a rating of 74, which will round to 70%

Ahaha...gently caress!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

"#5 buy a computer on credit or something. There is a tax break for people who are going to school, and can prove they need it for school (I have never had to prove but FYI) and you get something like 35% back or possibly more. It's probably more because I think I paid a total of 400 for my big rear end iMac. "

Whoa, what? I just bought a new MacBook Pro and this would be fantastic.

Yeah. Keep your receipt. Bring it up to your tax person.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

So I have a hosed up left shoulder that, so far as I know, I screwed up on a week long mission where at one point I propped my elbow up on the turret shield for eight hours for comfort and the next day it was stiff. It got progressively worse to the point where I can't lift my arm above my head anymore.

According to a VA doctor in Memphis, my shoulder actually has nothing wrong with it because he couldn't see "any evidence of soft tissue damage in the x-ray." (lolwhat)

I filed a claim on it that was denied because the VA says that there's no evidence that my injury is connected to my service in Iraq, a determination they made after looking at my claim where I said I hurt my shoulder in Iraq.

So now I'm in appeals hell. I started working with a VFW rep when my claim was over 300 days old. He had pretty amazing tendency to not answer emails and phone calls for months at a time, so I ended up contacting VFW's national headquarters and got put in contact with a guy who basically told me that everything this rep told me to do was the wrong thing to do. He told me what I needed to do (see a real doctor for a diagnosis, get buddies to write statements saying they remember me bitching about my shoulder, etc.), and I started on the process.

Then my wife died.

And then I went through VA purgatory waiting for them to approve some survivor's benefits. I asked my VFW rep to help, but never heard back from him. I'd last heard from him in May of 2015. I sent him a follow-up in August 2015 that he never replied to, then asked him for help with my survivor benefits application in May 2016.

When I didn't hear back from him by July, I looked up the contact where he was working and, lo and behold, his name wasn't listed anymore. So I contacted this new person, included the entire email chain, and asked her for help. I got a reply about a week later.

Wow, sounds like she's already made up her mind here. So I wrote back:

Yeah, okay, I lost my cool and could have handled it better. I admit it. I got this reply two days later:

Okay, wow. I'm sorry this person lost their spouse, but seriously?

Anyway, I think I need to rescind the VFW's authority in my appeal and find a new VSO.

DAV is good for me so far.

Also hey, at least you got some emotion. Truth be told, might help to play nice as similar circumstances seat unlikely partnerships.

Also gently caress them.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hey so, seeing that I got out and went to college in the same year, my tax returns are all gonna be in one area or am I gonna have to search around everywhere?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DONT JOIN THE loving ARMY

Signed

GiP

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Seriously. I don't care if your dad was Army. He will call you an idiot and so will everyone here. Air Force treats their people better, have objectively better and worse duty stations (loving Missouri vs Kansas) but most importantly the bullshit level is soooooooo goddamn high in the Army. More so than literally any other branch.

Where have our smart poster children been from? Chelsea Manning? Army. I actually served with someone who was in her squad during the whole thing. Bergdahl army, Anderson army, Maj whatever-the-gently caress-fort-hood-shooter-oval office army (again, served with someone who was on scene when that happened).

I have sat and drank beers next to now convicted murderer who killed his coworker, one of my "bosses" at the time, for insurance money because he and the dudes wife were banging. I have been in positions of extreme psychological discomfort for no reason to the point where my body almost loving gave up during surgery. I was only doing 4 breaths a minute. I have had friends die from suicide and you will have to face that poo poo as a commander. I won't get into how much crap about field problems or green weenie or whatever but you can get the GI bill without all of that bullshit.

I served the Army for 9 years, will never run again, am disabled, and was told I was too fat for an award when being kicked out of service.

Don't join the loving army.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The Unholy Ghost posted:

That is all terrible stuff, so I'd hope that a high enough ASFAB score would give me a position away from the front-lines. Regardless, I have to go to graduate school, and pretty much the only way I can pay and go is with a big scholarship.

a high asvab score isn't going to prevent you from making a stupid decision in the first place.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'm, if you count "Sanwiched between Krystal's and Subway" a stipmall then yes, I too had a recruiter strip mall. Who I saw often, I went to meow 6 loving times

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hey. I'm trying to apply for a VA Loan but am curious if my VR bah will be allowed as income. I know 9/11 is not but they are two different programs.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Is there any goon-recommended firm for getting a lawyer to help with VA appeals to raise benefits or counter denied conditions? I've used DAV in the past but they're pretty basic, and given the money at stake I'd be happy to pay an aggressive lawyer if they can get my percentage raised. Any suggestions on how to go about finding someone specializing in VA cases?

let me know what you find out please, if it's an organization or California.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hey, is there any type of "Art as Therapy" places available to vets that don't cost anything? I get a lot of the pent up bullshit out when I can create and all of that but when I don't it just boils and festers. Doing it at home isn't always an option.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tape a note to it saying "By accepting this poo sculpture against your building..."

One idea I REALLY want to do is a non-profit where Veterans essentially get referred to the non-profit and they would have a bunch of art supplies, experts, and people working their poo poo out. Music would definitely be a part of it, as would visual arts. I know that people would benefit from this because I've seen it first, second, and third hand. My buddy started glassblowing and he said it really helped out his poo poo. I have little ideas on how to get it going, like asking college professors or whatever to offer to spend time to teach some stuff like how to actually draw or paint, maybe to play music or blow glass. If you don't know how, we'd teach you.

Problem is I know absolutely 0 about it. I'd probably give it some stupid name like "Art is Therapy" or some bullshit to piss off conservatives. I'd name the accounting side something better though because I saw on reddit how there's this whole accounting world where people have to say boring business names and I'm pretty good at skirting variable obscenity.

Just another dream to leave behind me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hey so, my google is failing me, but does anyone know the VA diagnosis code for tussive or posttussive syncope? It basically means I pass out if I cough or laugh too hard. Can't find it but it definitely exists. I'm trying to write a Nexus Letter for my doctor because my 1 year is coming up.