Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The VA sent me a letter early last semester saying I owed them $125 because they overpaid my book stipend. The letter said if I didn't do something about it, it would automatically be deducted from my BAH in April 2016. That was fine with me so I just ignored it, assuming it would be taken out of my April BAH and it would take care of itself.

Nothing has ever been deducted from my BAH. I should be receiving my book stipend for the upcoming semester in the next couple of weeks, and I will receive my first BAH of the semester on September 1st (though for only one day of classes).

This is what has happened/is happening. My question is, when will they actually take the $125 from me?

Asking just in case anyone here has run into similar issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ryand-Smith posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have a question. does GI benefits transfer between colleges (IE you go to a community college, get the 3-3.5 GPA, then go to a 4 year to finish the undergrad?)

Yes. I'm on my second school now.

Here's a tip for you: apply to universities that you don't think you will get into. Write an essay about why you should be admitted. Play the veteran card and really tug at the heart strings. Talk about how people have died for he chance to go to school and it would be insulting to your brothers in arms to squander such an opportunity.

I got into a four year school that was WAAAAAAYYYY above what I was qualified for and I didn't even graduate high school (got my GED). If I wasn't so far along in my degree plan I might apply to even more prestigious schools just to see what happens.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 30, 2016

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

No Butt Stuff posted:

eBenefits will show if you're enrolled, but it never shows payment information. My wife's book stipend shows a pending deposit this morning. I'm just hoping that the VA pays the school sooner rather than later so she can get the additional refund from her Pell Grant.

I'm guessing it'll be the last day of the month though. Not like they'll ever show any transparency behind the process.

my book stipend last august came 10 days before the semester started. i was trying to see when my credits got certified for that semester, but i have no idea because as far as i know, it doesn't say. my credits for this coming semester were certified the last week of july, so i'm banking on my book stipend coming by the 20th or so (but not betting the house on that). ebenefits shows no pending payment as of now.

i'm not sure what determines it, but if i get my book stipend soon i'll update this post since it's good info to have imo.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 10, 2016

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Tried to access ebenefits today.

That went well.

-A SOF Marine

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
For anyone interested, my hours got certified the last week if July and I received my book stipend today. About the same layover as last year so ~three weeks seems to be average for me.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My medical file is sitting on a shelf in my closet because it's too obnoxiously big to file anywhere.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wasn't I supposed to get BAH today even though I was only in school for three days in August?

I'm not hurting without it, but it'll suck next month if I don't get it because I only budgeted to go without it for so long.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

McNally posted:

I got mine like last week. Maybe look closer? If it's not there, then definitely start looking into it.

I got my book stipend on the 18th. Would it have been lumped in to that even though I hadn't even started school til the 29th? Ebenefits makes zero differentiation between different types of GI Bill deposits and my book stipend seems bigger than what it's supposed to be (a little over $700 rather than $500, which I believe is supposed to be the semester cap?)

But the $700 was a single deposit in ebenefits as well as my bank account. Wouldn't BAH be a separate deposit from my book stipend?

I'm trying to talk to the VA rep dude at my school but I keep missing him every time I try.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 1, 2016

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

or Fort HOod National Bank they're good people :thumbsup:

Trigger warning that poo poo

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

How does the $1,000 book&supply stipend work? 3 times a year? Every time you get new classes?

Should be once in spring and once in fall shortly before the semester starts. Keep an eye on how much you get. They like to overpay!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

Hey so...My wife is probably pregnant and we need to get our poo poo sorted with Tricare. They said we are only available for standard but if we pay the whatever we can have prime. I thought that my family got prime for free because my disability rating was 60% Army. Is this right or am I wrong?

You have to pay for prime. My disability is higher than yours and I have to pay for it as well. We just have access to care at VA clinics/hospitals.

It's still like a bajillion dollars cheaper than using civilian private healthcare. I haven't signed up for it but I am planning on it because I have heard good things about it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My school gives you about a week after the semester starts to return books.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Professors who peddle their own book bug me. My public speaking professor back in Florida did that and we never even used the loving thing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Thank you for your great advice. I didn't do FAFSA this semester. I honestly have no clue if I even qualify. I'm doing distance courses so I can't go to the campus and get books, I have to get them somehow though.

I've been using a really lovely laptop but this thing is on its last legs. Also, I'm unemployed until May at least so I don't have much credit.

Classes have been going on for two weeks and some of my professors are starting to email me asking about turning in my assignments and I'm honestly embarrassed to tell them I'm too poor to buy books and supplies.

even if you dont think you will qualify, fill out fafsa.

seriously, do it right now if you can. go back in time and do it yesterday if you have a time machine.

fill out fafsa every single year

E: I filled out fafsa late one year. Grant money was $5775 that year. I filled it out in like November, and when spring rolled around I got $5775 deposited into my student account. Usually they split it into two and you get half in the fall and half in spring.

Point being: even if you are late getting to it, fill our fafsa asap

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 18, 2016

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Consummate Professional posted:

This might be an easy question. I'm trying to apply for poor people utility benefits with the state of Colorado (really they offer a weatherization program and my house is old, so why not try to get some stuff for free). They want proof of all non-work income, which would include my post 9/11 GI bill. Is there an actual award letter that states this is how much we give this dude every month? I know where to find all the documentation that says I have x time left, but I can't find any dollar amounts other than my payment history.

Use your payment history on ebenefits

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I did the same and I just got my w2 off mypay* and used that and nothing else when filing the year I got out.

*that went well

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

DONT JOIN THE loving ARMY

Signed

GiP

Congrats now he's gonna join the army.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Unholy Ghost posted:

to have some interesting experiences.

Oh my god I love you.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I almost got committed to the in-patient mental health ward at Benning on my third day in 30th AG because they thought I was someone else.

That was my first interesting experience with the military.

Should have taken it as foreshadowing tbh.

Also McNally's interesting experiences (I didn't read the name of who posted that) should be put in a novel and required reading before you ever step foot into a recruiter's office.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I put a gun to my head because I couldn't deal with military bullshit anymore. Luckily I wasn't all there and forgot to take the safety off so when I pulled the trigger nothing happened.

You might have a great time in the military. Seriously. But having a great time is only two sides of a six sided dice.

If I gave you a dice and said "roll this, you have a 1/3 chance of having a great time and a 2/3 chance of hating your life," is that a dice you would want to roll?

We aren't trying to talk you out of it, except we totally are. Go to school, get a degree, and get a job outside of the military. You might have that "what if" feeling about joining for the rest of your life, but that is SSOOOOOOOO loving MUCH BETTER THAN THE POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE.

And don't be that douchebag who constantly says "yeah I was thinking about joining." Nobody cares.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Unholy Ghost posted:

That is all terrible stuff, so I'd hope that a high enough ASFAB score would give me a position away from the front-lines.

Smdh

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

uhhh do well in school and get a scholarship instead of sacrificing your body/mental health/faith in society by relying on your hopes and the needs of the army.

Jesus pay for grad school with straight up Fed loans. You'll still most likely end up ahead of the game with regards to earning potential and the like, and with any luck you'll avoid the crippling substance abuse issues and loveless marriage.

He's a goner dude.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The trend never loving fails and it's just...

...gently caress it's just really funny.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MonkeyWash posted:

Hello, I mostly lurk here, but here goes. I was a guard at Camp Bucca in 2004 when the Abu Gharib story broke. I was serving with the Pennsylvania National Guard and was assigned to a Field Artillery unit that was retrained as ‘MPs.’ I also spent some time at Abu Gharib.
I was active duty from 1989-1998 and also served in Desert Storm. I left active duty in 1998 and pursued an IT degree. I joined the National Guard in 2003 and retired in 2012. Yes, I'm old (45).
I am so jaded and disillusioned with everything. When I was a civilian I worked for Koch Industries as a programmer for their asphalt company, where I uncovered a systematic collusion to defraud Native Americans, http://www.cbsnews.com/news/blood-and-oil/ .
I also wrote software for Amazon warehouses that was sold for millions, all that money went to my employer, I had my bonus canceled and my health insurance costs rise that same time.
I joined the Guard in 2003 as a Forward Observer (13F). I was called up for active duty later that year. We ended up assigned to Camp Bucca where I worked as a guard. There were no permanent facilities when I first arrived, it was c-wire and tents. It was hot and brutal. At one point the general in charge had people in dog cages with no shade.
I left Bucca in September 2004 on emergency leave after my home was destroyed by a flood. My wife and children were able to escape but we lost everything. I went home for emergency leave and tried to sort things out. I received amazing help from my civilian co-workers. My commander, on the other hand, thought that because we were renting at the time I should have just sucked it up.
I returned to Bucca in October 2004 and had a breakdown. I ended up being compassionately reassigned and sent home. That involved being sent to Ft Dix to wait indefinitely. I was only able to leave Ft Dix after getting my Congressman involved.
I returned home in November 2004. I stayed with the Pennsylvania guard until 2007 when I moved to Kansas. I retired in 2012 and now live in Colorado.
That’s my background.
I started seeing the VA in 2008 and have since been diagnosed with PTSD as well as a TBI. I am not really currently receiving any treatment since I moved to Colorado in 2015.
The VA in Colorado has been very frustrating. I see a different doctor every time I go in and it seems like I have to start over every time I go. On the other hand, the VA in Wichita had me on so many medications I nearly died, I was able to ween myself from all of them, and currently take nothing. I do however consume entirely too much cannabis, which I recognize isn’t good.
My experience with veteran’s charities has been more of the same disappointment. After the flood, not one military group helped us, even as the President gave a speech a few hundred feet from my destroyed home (https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2004/09/images/20040922-9_p8c4358-515h.html)
I have since sought help from various groups to no avail. I do however have some nice swag from different charities. A branded watch cap is ever so helpful. I was too sick to get a service dog, but not sick enough to go on a veteran’s retreat.
I am 100% disabled, permanent and total, and receive social security, yet I feel completely forgotten. I fight to get even a neurological appointment. My wife is my caregiver through the VA. She hasn’t received a call from the VA since we moved here and they quickly reduced her pay for the program. None of the checkups or home visits have been done. The VA is just a paycheck at this point.
It’s very frustrating and disheartening. I see all the talk about helping veterans but it just doesn’t seem to trickle down. Everyone seems as though they all talk more than they act.
Any advice?

I don't want this post to get lost in the shuffle.

I don't know how to help you dude but I hope someone here does.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you want special experience get an internship. It will get you the special experience and will cost you a fraction of time and probably none of your sanity.

I got an internship at a music studio last summer, learning the technical side of how to produce music. You know what I'm going to school for? Accounting.

You have tunnel vision and you're making it an either/or situation. Stop being so limited in what you *think* you can do and what you *think* the military will do for you.

E: a lot of companies you get hired by offer things like tuition repayment programs. Several businesses in my local area offer something like that if you have a degree in a field they need. The local school board has a tuition repayment program for people with teaching degrees.

Seriously, stop limiting yourself. By saying you will be in debt for your entire life you're doing one of two things 1) placing an artificial ceiling on your future prospects and 2) predicting the future, which I wish I had the power to do seven years ago when I decided to sign up.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 15, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Putting the odds of him joining anyway at 7/4.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Strip mall next to publix, subway, and Chinese food.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm sure this has been answered before like 1000000 times but here goes.

I got a friend who has a lot of issues. He filed his claim a while ago (like years ago) but whoever was in charge of it got fired or left or whatever, so somehow or another he had to start it over.

He said they were on step 7 or 8 of the process but for some reason kicked it back several steps to gather more information. And they keep putting things off.

This is a copy/paste about the things he's trying to get claimed

quote:

Ptsd \ anxiety disorder (New), Chronic back pain (New), Bilateral numbness in my legs (New), Chronic right wrist pain (New), chronic right ankle pain (New), chest pain (New).

Being that we are in Trump's America now, he is curious about what he needs to do or who he needs to call to get some type of ball rolling. Any progress is better than what he's going through now.

If it makes any difference, he is in Williamsport, PA.

E: lol never mind. They delivered his claims letter today because that's how the VA works.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 27, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I had a bad experience with the only psychiatrist at my local VA clinic and told the main hospital about it and they referred me to a third party through Veterans' Choice.

Not saying make poo poo up about your doc, but that's how I got it done.

E: he prescribed me benzos AFTER I told him I have substance issues with benzos.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Jeez I was gonna do voc rehab to get my accounting masters. You gotta do all that?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Elsa posted:

The only hangup I had with the process was an acceptance to a school. If I had to do it again I would have that in hand. It didn't change my counselor's decision about me or affect me negatively. There was just a lot of waiting. You're going to also need a degree plan from the school. Something that includes a timeline for completion and the list of classes they'll approve. Once your degree plan is signed off your job is to make it through the program.

I plan on applying to grad school next January/February. And possibly starting in the summer (May). Will that be enough time to apply, get accepted, and get voc rehab figured out?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You're already rated over 20% right? The idea of voc rehab is to get you employable, which my councilor explained to me typically is achieved once you get a bachelor's degree. If, however, you start professional school or a graduate program with a particular field in mind on your post 9/11 gi bill and then apply for voc rehab then your chances are much better for getting that career path approved. This is something you can talk over with your councilor. If you sign up for the program on ebenefits then it will tell you when the next enrollment session in your area is.

This is of course how I had it explained it me, and might not completely reflect what the actual parameters of the program are.

okay. i have enough gi bill to get at least one semester of grad school in.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Elsa posted:

It's probably not a hard case to make. If you can convince your counselor that your grad program would be good for your future, it's not a stretch to say you just need help. Reimbursing school you've already taken doesn't sound like anything I've heard, but keep looking.

Since you need 150 education hours to sit for the CPA, and you usually finish that out by getting a masters in accounting, and getting a CPA increases your employability, getting voc rehab for grad school shouldn't be a stretch, right? Accountants/auditors are always in demand.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cult_hero posted:

Even if it's incorrect, it wasn't your fault they gave you that money and they'll usually just waive the debt in the off chance they actually go back and correct it.

Lmao

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

sharkbomb posted:

Anyone else exhaust their Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits? This was my last term using the bill and my remaining entitlement months is at 0.

I had 1200 dollars pop into my checking account and I'm assuming it's the MGIB refund, but the VA website says that check is supposed to come with the final housing payment.

Your remaining months is 0, but if you even have 1 day left you get it for an entire semester, so make sure you check that.

Until you know for sure, don't spend that money on anything except open heart surgery or some other emergency.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How far in advance should I apply for Voc rehab if I plan on using it in September 2018? Does the amount of time make a difference if I begin using it in January 2019? It'll be for grad school. I don't know if applications expire and I'm still over a year away from needing it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My school said a 27 year old living in dorms would be inappropriate and strongly advised against it.

I'm okay with that policy because not living around a bunch of 18-22 year olds is awesome.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

Unless it's coed.

Still not worth it. College students are loud, stupid, and annoying. I would end up killing someone by the end of my first week if I can't sleep because they wanna do stupid poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

milk milk lemonade posted:

Ever been to college before? Yah it is worth it to be swimming in pussy. Freshman dorms are especially amazing. You have a good six months where banging one chick was basically a guarantee you could get all of her friends too. Jesus Christ. Being married and having kids is for retards I have a goddamn boner right now just thinking of the dorms I lived in in 2004-2005. If I went back in time I'd be less picky and widen my net and probably father some bastards to ensure my legacy lives forever

i have a house i can bring them back to. way better than dorms.

plus you cant have dogs in dorms. you know what's a pussy magnet? monty.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Goddamn if I hadn't just opened up a new credit card I would jump on that.