Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016
So I am applying for gradschool at a school in DC. Kinda nervous about not getting in. Same school also has non degree certificate program, in the same field, that according to the school certifying official is qualified for post 9/11 and partial MAH. She did not specify the amount. Is there a way to calculate that amount? The program is 6 months long and has 10.8 CEU units instead of credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Godholio posted:

For grad school, "full time" is determined by the school since they all do it differently. That's the only part I know.

Thank you! I will email the program again to see how they classify it.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016
I am trying to figure out the post 9/11 certification process. I used a month on active duty for a certificate. My last day on active duty is July 9, but the program I am interested in starts July 5. I completed the form on ebenefits to change schools, but there was no option to upload my dd-214. I am worried that they'll certify me as active duty and I will not get the bah. What would be the correct way to go about this?

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

boop the snoot posted:

How did you end up using a month of GI Bill on active duty?

I wanted to do two certificates from ECornell. They lasted about 7 weeks each and it only used 36 benefit days. I applied through VA and got my certification letter. I think you can use GI Bill for a degree using the top up program, but because certificates are not eligible for Tution Assistance it went staight to GI Bill.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Typically you provide your certifying paperwork to the certifying official at the University you plan on attending. I'd contact them or their veterans affairs office directly for instructions on how you should proceed.

Welcome to the other side (almost)

Thanks man! Almost, however I am sitting on 50 days terminal I have been saving. I will send financial aid the certification I have.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Internet Wizard posted:

These days you need at least half of your credits to be labeled as Remote, In-Person, or Hybrid. If you’re online heavy, you get the national average BAH, which is something garbage like $850/month.

That is not true at least of Fall 2020 semester. You need one in person class or (Covid online) to qualify for full school zip code NAH.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

lite_sleepr posted:

What is it like using a VA loan to buy a house? I've never bought a house before, or moved on my own, and so I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to these things. Overall, is it pretty straight forward and not complicated, or is it rife with scams and unnecessarily difficult hurdles?

I used a VA loan for my first bought house through usaa. I believe I paid 2.8% for origination fee but I did not have to put down a downpayment. Had to do an inspection which took about an hour. Had a good experience, might refinance because rates went lower.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

jwang posted:

I'm a veteran looking to get out of paying rent and into actually owning a home. Can I get some help in getting/using a VA loan? Should I get my loan through Navy Federal, which I already have an account with, or Veteran's United, which is aggressively marketed on Google Search and apparently offers bundle benefits?

I used USAA, but I get insane amount of spam mail from random unknown providers. My experience with USAA was good. I was assigned a representative who worked with me on paperwork. There is no downpayment required, but there was a 2% processing fee that was rolled into the total mortgage amount. Check to see if there are any changes for Covid, it might be cheaper now.

Fed will also raise interest rates this year so make sure you get a good fixed rate too. I might have gotten a slightly lower rate with other provider, but I like having everything (home insurance, escrow for taxes, car insurance, etc.) under one provider, I feel that bug military credit unions are less shady than random financier.

You can always start an application under Navy Fed and see what interest they offer you. After that it is pretty straightforward.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

life is killing me posted:

So I called the veterans advisor at the school because I’ve been getting about a stipend, but there’s been some discrepancies. I had never received notice that more than one of my classes had been certified, and when I inquired about this, he said it looked like only chemistry was certified. I told him I’d been getting more than I’d think of only one was certified, and that somehow after weeks I’ve not been dropped from my classes for nonpayment. That last weird thing was that he said my other two classes that aren’t certified yet, are also on my degree plan so there is no reason they shouldn’t have been certified.

On another note, I’m looking to drop a class—ten hours is kicking my rear end. What are the financial implications for dropping a class? If the classes are indeed certified, what happens when I drop a class and what do I need to do?

There is a one time chance per use of GI bill to drop a class (maybe more than one, call them to double check?) without having to pay back tuition or have your MHA lowered for the rest of the semester. I used it, but I wish I saved it for later though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I have 28 months of gi bill eligibility.

I want to change tracks and go IT- specifically cloud stuff. $900 a month for BAH for online kinda blows. If I take a local community college class in something using GI bill, while doing full time online at a separate school can I get in person BAH?

I dont believe so. You would have to do one program, full time, with at least 1 in person class. Though maybe if you can prove that the second online program will full-fill first in person programs requirements.