Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Hekk posted:

Yes

If you go to online school and use the Post 9/11 GI Bill your BAH is calculated at the average BAH rate across the US.

If you have at least one physical class at a college (and then do the others through the same school online), your BAH is calculated using the zip code for that institution instead of the average.

That's stupid. VA acting like we're don't need money to live just because we attend online. I am not near any college of any kind to attend physically, and so I'd have to spend money to move near one.

How stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

That's stupid. VA acting like we're don't need money to live just because we attend online. I am not near any college of any kind to attend physically, and so I'd have to spend money to move near one.

How stupid

I think the stance there is that if there are no major universities near you, it’s likely you are in an area with a lower than average cost of living.

What is the BAH rate of your zip code compared to what you’d get from going online?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Thing is I don't want to stay here. If I can't find a job in the foreseeable future, and if I can't pass this aPHR exam, the idea is just to get my retirement pension and go to school in the Marietta, GA area.

Where I am now, E6 with dependents is 1,518. Marietta is 2,385. To me, it would make more sense to just enroll in school around Marietta, get my pension and buy a modest house.

Does that make any sense?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

Thing is I don't want to stay here. If I can't find a job in the foreseeable future, and if I can't pass this aPHR exam, the idea is just to get my retirement pension and go to school in the Marietta, GA area.

Where I am now, E6 with dependents is 1,518. Marietta is 2,385. To me, it would make more sense to just enroll in school around Marietta, get my pension and buy a modest house.

The BAH you get from the Post 9/11 GI Bill is based off of the E-5 with dependents rate.

Seems like it’d most likely make sense to go to school where you’d like to move and make sure you have at least one in person class from that college.

Otherwise assuming you have some sort of service connected disability, you may look at Vocational Rehabilitation through the VA. You wouldn’t get the BAH using that though, which I assume plays into your income plans.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lite_sleepr posted:

GI bill pays out E-5 With Dependents, unless I missed something and now it’s E-6?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Hekk posted:

The BAH you get from the Post 9/11 GI Bill is based off of the E-5 with dependents rate.

Seems like it’d most likely make sense to go to school where you’d like to move and make sure you have at least one in person class from that college.

Otherwise assuming you have some sort of service connected disability, you may look at Vocational Rehabilitation through the VA. You wouldn’t get the BAH using that though, which I assume plays into your income plans.

You can use VR&E and still get the P9/11 MHA rate for your area, providing you have eligibility. The VR&E advisor just needs to check a block on the form.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Ah right, E5 with dep. rate. Still, it's $2,2250 for the Atlanta area, coupled with my 2,080 from retirement each month.

I could live off $4k a month I believe. Wouldn't even have to work.

I think I'm just nervous as heck because for the first time in 20 years, my adult life, I'm about to be out of a job and have no real idea of how the civilian world is supposed to work. I was basically conditioned to believe without the stupid AF I'd starve to death under a bridge somewhere.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Don't forget disability, but don't count on it until you get a rating.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Hey, I'm gonna be ok

:unsmith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lite_sleepr posted:

Ah right, E5 with dep. rate. Still, it's $2,2250 for the Atlanta area, coupled with my 2,080 from retirement each month.

I could live off $4k a month I believe. Wouldn't even have to work.

I think I'm just nervous as heck because for the first time in 20 years, my adult life, I'm about to be out of a job and have no real idea of how the civilian world is supposed to work. I was basically conditioned to believe without the stupid AF I'd starve to death under a bridge somewhere.

Aren't there colleges in atlanta? You don't have to move if you go to GA state or whatever. And, you're right, you'll be able to comfortably live on retirement and post-911.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

VA benefits are pretty good. Use 'em!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm currently in Texas, so yea I'd have to move.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What is it like using a VA loan to buy a house? I've never bought a house before, or moved on my own, and so I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to these things. Overall, is it pretty straight forward and not complicated, or is it rife with scams and unnecessarily difficult hurdles?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

lite_sleepr posted:

What is it like using a VA loan to buy a house? I've never bought a house before, or moved on my own, and so I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to these things. Overall, is it pretty straight forward and not complicated, or is it rife with scams and unnecessarily difficult hurdles?

Closing takes longer than with a conventional loan sometimes because the VA does an inspection of the property. With how hot the housing market right now that may play into your choice of how to finance.

Of course the main benefit is not needing Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) if you do 100% finance through the VA Loan. However, you should also be aware that a disability rating could make your VA loan origination fees (like 3 or 4K) be waived.

I’d recommend finding a realtor you trust in the area you are looking to move. They will have contacts with mortgage brokers who are familiar with the VA loan process.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

lite_sleepr posted:

I used a VA loan for my first bought house through usaa. I believe I paid 2.8% for origination fee but I did not have to put down a downpayment. Had to do an inspection which took about an hour. Had a good experience, might refinance because rates went lower.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
VA loan is same just needs a termite inspection and a VA inspection as well as an appraisal. Ours still closed in 3 weeks.

One thing to note about refinancing is you can't do a VA streamline refinance until 110 days after you your first mortgage payment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm gonna plug NFCU based on my awesome experience buying my current house through them. They also found me a great realtor and paid me for using their suggestion.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Welp, I was denied for a home loan through the VA. With only my pension of about $2k a month, they ruled my debt to income ratio was not favorable.

They don't count income from the GI Bill as 'income,' so until I get a job or at least an offer letter, I'm kinda stuck.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Disability will count, when you have a rating.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lite_sleepr posted:

Welp, I was denied for a home loan through the VA. With only my pension of about $2k a month, they ruled my debt to income ratio was not favorable.

They don't count income from the GI Bill as 'income,' so until I get a job or at least an offer letter, I'm kinda stuck.

That was the bank's decision.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Anyone ever have the VA pay GI Bill benefits without verifying enrollment? I always get setup through my school to be able to use the 1606 (I'm a guard dude) if I need the money; I'm taking 9 credit hours this summer and about to finish up and just saw a $648.43 deposit pending to my checking. Looked at the WAVE website and see my last payment was $648.43 except I never verified my enrollment on WAVE. My last enrollment verification for payment was in the Spring for last semester. It also only shows one period available for verification - 7/01 to 7/31.

I already emailed my school and will call the GI Bill line Monday morning but I think they just burned two months of my benefits without my permission?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Godholio posted:

That was the bank's decision.

They don't count GI bill money as income, even though it literally is. I don't know how many more VA approved lenders are out there willing to make that risk, but I'm all ears.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lite_sleepr posted:

They don't count GI bill money as income, even though it literally is. I don't know how many more VA approved lenders are out there willing to make that risk, but I'm all ears.

My retirement is roughly 4K a month, and my wife makes multiples of what I do. USAA only gave me a VA home loan in a high cost area if my wife was a co-signer.

Do you have a spouse that has income? Or a family member willing to sign with you?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lite_sleepr posted:

This is because GI bill money runs out long before a mortgage will be paid off. Some banks may accept it but not all.

GI bill money is also explicitly not income and is not taxable.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

My retirement is roughly 4K a month, and my wife makes multiples of what I do. USAA only gave me a VA home loan in a high cost area if my wife was a co-signer.

Do you have a spouse that has income? Or a family member willing to sign with you?

Nope!

I'll figure it out.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Have you checked with USAA or Navy Fed for mortgages?

You've probably lived in worse quarters at some point than a studio apartment in a "meh" part of town. Might look at a 6 month lease while you shake out your disability claims. If you lined up a VA physical through DAV/VFW/rep, you should get your rating within days of discharge, and first payment the next month. Once you have an idea of what that's going to bring in, start applying for loans with the vet aimed financial institutions, or your/a local credit union.

There was also a vet loan aggregator service that advertised on tv for a while, newdayusa, maybe? But avoiding those services is often a better decision, they're going to shotgun blast your info to every lender and you'll never see the end of the junkmail.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

USAA turned me down for both houses I've bought. I got my first mortgage through WF, before most of their bullshit came to light. Fortunately I never had any issues and they never sold my mortgage off. My current house is financed through NFCU, who were great.

E: V Yeah, same. After the house experience I bought my car through them too.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 1, 2021

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

Godholio posted:

USAA turned me down for both houses I've bought. I got my first mortgage through WF, before most of their bullshit came to light. Fortunately I never had any issues and they never sold my mortgage off. My current house is financed through NFCU, who were great.

Yeah, USAA is not particularly well known for being strong in the mortgage department, as I recall. I ended up starting a checking account with NFCU solely to get access to a mortgage with them, and they were super easy to work with.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
USAA is a bank, and an expensive bank to do business with, so gently caress them. The only thing good about them is day early pay checks and car insurance.

I went the Veterans United Realty when they shot me down, at least until I get my debt:income where they want it, which would be after I get a job.

DeeDee
Jan 27, 2008
Somebody put something in my drink.
I can't take it any more. I keep seeing 100% SC kids under the age of 25 with no combat tours. I'M loving OVER IT.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I've got a lot of troubles from tangling with TB and AQ, but if other folks have difficulties as well, I don't begrudge them. Tinnitus is a copout though, none of us can hear anymore.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DeeDee posted:

I can't take it any more. I keep seeing 100% SC kids under the age of 25 with no combat tours. I'M loving OVER IT.

What’s an SC kid? And 100% what? I apologize if those are dumb questions, but I didn’t really understand your post.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
100% Service connected.

E: DeeDee, I can understand where your anger is coming from, but given the current economic and social distress, I'd rather be happy that they've got a way to get by. We're in some serious death throes of an empire, poo poo is only going to get worse, and in this situation, I'd rather they be getting assistance of some form, regardless of the source. Because what other options are there for them?

And we don't know if they got diddled by drill sergeants or DUI'd into a tree and command covered rear end to make sure they're taken care of in the outside.

Again, I get why you're angry, but when the government is pushing billions into the fire of the stock market, buying bonds and collecting MBSs, we have bigger concerns than some vets being paid ill-gotten gains. Also leaving billions in equipment on the rooftop of the world for the stated enemy to just waltz in and take. Bigger fish, man, bigger fish.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 2, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

100% completely broken by garrison military.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You can still break bones, get raped, torn to pieces by equipment, and catch the 'rona in garrison. My brother caught a football with his nose in Korea, if he had some problem with it all these years later, it would likely be service connected rated, because it was on base, regardless of the actual cause.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Is OP upset because empire exploits bodies or is OP upset because of trying to gatekeep service connected disabilities only to legitimate veterans that deploy?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DeeDee posted:

It’s best to not dwell on others benefits. Everyone had a different path, and almost all of those paths lead to Uncle Sam breaking you somehow. Be happy for them that they’ll not be homeless or destitute veterans.

The military is happy to kill you, be happy to take all the money they can give you in return for the best years of your life and the inevitable disability that will come.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I hate that as a recent retiree I'm made to wait six months between GS jobs. What is the reasoning behind this hiatus I'm expected to take between working? I have two job interviews this week for UPC jobs, but I know that I have the deck stacked against me. I know it can get waived, but those waivers have to go all the way up to 2nd air force. The hiring authority will have to explain why they want to hire me vs. someone with a fraction of the job experience I have doing UPC work. Can someone explain this to me?

For the last 14 years I ran every section in an MPF several times over and successfully implemented every policy and program for the base level. Why should anyone have to explain that of course I'd be a better candidate than someone who doesn't know what MilPDS is, or where to find something in an AFI? I could literally hit the ground running in a squadron, and the only thing I'd have to wait on is my systems access while I look at what's going on in the unit to get a game plan together on what to tackle, fix, and how to do it.

What's more frustrating is I can't hope to get a home loan until I have a job! There's nothing here at Laughlin AFB, and I sure as heck don't want to stay here. I'm looking at the very real possibility of moving back into my parents basement, with an 11 year old, because despite having applied to 29 GS jobs and about 20 civilian jobs during my 90 days of terminal, nothing is landing. Sure, I can go back to school and use the GI bill, but no banks consider that as 'income,' even though it would put me at about $4k a month in income, which is plenty to comfortably pay a $1,500/mo mortgage if I wanted to buy a house that expensive.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
You could rent while going to school for a year while you wait for your job prospects to develop. Hell you could do a semester and then break your lease / sublet your place in a city like Atlanta.

Keep in mind that unless you attend school year-round you wont have BAH payments in the summer. Its a system that uou have to try and work around but its still pretty luxurious, once you get things started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You can work a watchfloor for a couple years straight where day in day out you’re monitoring drone footage or translating some of the worst conversations imaginable and just constantly slamming your brain with condensed misery, but sure it’s not a deployment so we should cap mental health issues at like 40% disability