Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

US Berder Patrol posted:

Is anyone familiar in any way with Compensated Work Therapy (CWT)?

Yes - but CWT is separate from VR&E.
CWT = part of the Veterans HEALTH Administration - the medical and clinical side. CWT is for those experiencing significant substance or persistent and severe mental illness, or some major psychosocial barrier to employment. This is like rehab, but for work/vocation.

VR&E is part of the Veterans BENEFITS Administration.

Both VA - but distinct missions and little day-to-day operational connections.

quote:

I had an appointment with the local VRE folks to try to beg some housing stipend to go back to school this fall, and the counselor wants me to go thru CWT first. They described working part time in housekeeping at the local VA hospital for minimum wage, which makes me feel really down about the decisions I have made in my career life lol

https://www.va.gov/careers-employment/vocational-rehabilitation/programs/

This is what you're looking for. If you didn't apply through here, make sure to do so, if you meet eligibility. Check whatever Track makes the most sense for more info on eligibility.

I recommend connecting with a local Veteran Service Officer (VSO) to help do this, especially if someone from the VBA / VR&E actually told you to go to the VHA CWT program when you've been requesting admission into VR&E benefits. These are often confused, so it is possible without knowing more, that you were talking to someone at VHA.

This stuff is nuanced, so get yourself an advocate in a VSO:
https://nvf.org/veteran-service-officers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

I still recommend connecting with a VSO to discuss your situation in depth. It can be easy to be siloed in programs, but have someone with a fresh set of eyes review and advise you outside of the VA. They can help advocate alongside you.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

US Berder Patrol posted:

Queer Grenadier, do you have any more info about CWT? I just don't have a good idea of what to expect because I can find very little info. My guess is it's for unhoused or substance abuse disordered people who have just been flat out of the work market for too long to really put together a resume and need a hard reset. I'm not trying to live in a halfway house, nor am I interested in a makework program but I think my current understanding of CWT is colored by my being cranky about not getting what I wanted from VRE. That said, I do struggle with work life because of my disabilities and maybe CWT would be good for me in terms of rehabbing me vocationally. But maybe also the VRC is just ducking my case.

If I try to parley with VRE again in the future I will do so a little better equipped on the process and 100% will go through a VSO on my next try. Real talk though, I think I'm done with the VRE people as far as this project goes regardless of whether I get into CWT or use GI Bill.

Honestly, not much more. But, I will say this. I was limited in my last reply. I was thinking of only the CWT-Transitional Work track at the VA Medical Center. There are also other tracks. I say give it a shot and hear them out, can always not go the CWT route. CWT is separate from VR&E, though. So don't feel you can't pursue VR&E later.

https://www.va.gov/HEALTH/cwt/veterans.asp

quote:

CWT Transitional Work (TW): TW is a pre-employment vocational program that operates in VA medical centers (VAMC) and business and industry. CWT/TW participants are matched to actual work assignments for a time-limited basis. Veterans are supervised by personnel of the sponsoring site, under the same job expectations experienced by non-TW workers. TW participants are not considered employees and receive no traditional employee benefits. Participants receive base pay determined by the prevailing wage and at least, the Federal minimum wage. In states having a minimum wage which exceeds Federal minimum wage, state or local minimum wage must be utilized. The expectation is that TW participant’s transition from the vocational work assignment to competitive employment in the community.

CWT Supported Employment (SE): SE is intended for Veterans with significant barriers to employment due to psychosis or other severe mental illnesses such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and/or physical disabilities such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) who, because of the severity of their disabilities, would not be able to function independently in employment without intensive, ongoing support services. This includes ongoing vocational assessments, rapid/individualized job search, job development and placement, assertive engagement and follow-along supports provided in the context of clinical treatment.

CWT Community Based Employment Services (CBES): Community–Based Employment Services (CBES) is a program that is less intensive than Supported Employment and is not restricted to Veterans with diagnosis of psychosis. CBES provides a range of services leading to direct placement in competitive employment, where an employer hires the Veteran, and the Veteran receives continuing clinical support. CBES support services include skills training, job development, job placement, supportive counseling, and interventions within the work environment when needed to ensure the continued employment and self-sufficiency of the Veteran.

CWT Supported Self-Employment (SSE): Provides guidance on business practices, training, networking opportunities, and linkages with community financial institutions that will assist many Veterans with disabilities in achieving the benefits from self-employment. Self-employment can offer many benefits to Veterans including the ability to perform preferred work activities in work settings of the Veteran’s choice, flexible work hours and schedules, self-management, a wide array of disability accommodations when needed, and the potential to generate substantial income.

CWT Supported Education (SEd): Provides individualized supports for Veterans engaged in education and training programs as well as linkages with educational facilities that will facilitate Veterans successfully achieving their instructional goals.
Vocational Assistance: Vocational Assistance is a set of assessment, guidance, counseling, or other related services that may be offered to groups or individuals. These services are short-term and are designed to enable Veterans to realize skills, resources, attitudes, and expectations needed to prepare for searching for employment, succeeding in the employment interview process, and succeeding in employment without the need for ongoing job search, job development or follow-up support.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

lite_sleepr posted:

Is it possible to use my post 9/11 GI Bill to get a certificate, like Security + or some other flavor of computer toucher cert?

https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/how-to-use-benefits/vettec-high-tech-program/

https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/how-to-use-benefits/test-fees/

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

Being enrolled in the VA also means more funds for VA to serve those who need its services. Do it for your brothers and sisters, and for when you need it someday!

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

PageMaster posted:

Would they also cover accessibility helping peripherals? Bottom line is I love j gaming and been a giant fan my whole life, and besides playingwith my kids and brothers, it's my escape and let's me just zone out and stop thinking and stressingabout my diagnosis/prognosis and treatment for at least a little bit and fight my depression and anger unfortunately my condition has finally progressed such thatI don't have control orfeeling of my left arm and leg.

StackUp is a non profit focused on using gaming to help prevent Veteran suicide. They have a program called 'Supply Crates' that may be worth a shot. A general outreach to discuss your story, disability, and accessibility needs for gaming could be a good start!

https://www.stackup.org/supply-crates
https://www.stackup.org/contact

Also consider requesting a consultation from your VA primary care team to see a Recreational Therapist to discuss your hobbies (including gaming) and ways to get involved through adaptive / accessibility tools, such as peripherals for gaming.

Queer Grenadier fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

Congrats! 🎉🍾