Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Its been almost 3 years exactly since I submitted my appeal for things that were documented in my medical record. I attached said pages from my medical record. The only status update I can see on ebenefits is that they received my notice of disagreement on December 3rd, 2013. Why it took 3 months for that status update, I dunno. I called the VA again. They once again told me that the average time for my regional office is 377 days and they're processed first in first out, which cannot possibly be true. I just called and left a message with my congressional rep's vet person. Anyone have any ideas what else I could do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Was your claim handled by a VSO? I just recently received a mail acknowledgement of my notice of disagreement, but at three years I would consider contacting either a benefits lawyer or my local congressional reps office for some added traction / pressure. AFAIK there is also always the IGs office but beyond those three approaches everything I've been told is that its a totally opaque process

I used leon county veterans services to file. The guy that filed doesn't work there anymore, and they really have no idea who I am.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shot off a congressional inquiry form for my VA appeal that has been sitting for over 3 years now. Hopefully now I can finally find out something since right now all I have is a status showing "We received your NOD. We'll contact you with further information." Anytime I call I still get the same "appeals processed first in first out and average appeal time at your office is 370ish days."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soulex posted:

Makes sense.

Now I need to dispute my ratings.

I'm sitting at over three years since I sent in my appeal for disputed ratings on things that were in my medical record. My congressional request got me nothing more than what the VA phone center has got me. It at least didn't list the bullshit average appeal time of a year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soulex posted:

Who would I talk to about not being paid correctly via VA? So, unless my math is wrong...

50% + 44% (20+20+10%) = 72

72% + 10% = 75%. So I should technically be rated 80% correct?

50, 20, 20, 10, 10 should be 80%.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 23, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Consummate Professional posted:

This might be an easy question. I'm trying to apply for poor people utility benefits with the state of Colorado (really they offer a weatherization program and my house is old, so why not try to get some stuff for free). They want proof of all non-work income, which would include my post 9/11 GI bill. Is there an actual award letter that states this is how much we give this dude every month? I know where to find all the documentation that says I have x time left, but I can't find any dollar amounts other than my payment history.

On the ebenefits website there's a link where you can print all your VA entitlement letters for basically any purpose. However, it is not income so unless they specifically ask for non-taxable benefits I wouldn't include it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think this is what TAMP is for: http://www.tricare.mil/tamp

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Only if you're being involuntarily separated or jumping to guard/reserves.

Snap that's right. Missed the involuntary part at the top. Here's what he needs http://www.tricare.mil/Plans/SpecialPrograms/CHCBP

Here's the humana link about the plans https://www.humanamilitary.com/beneficiary/plans-and-programs/chcbp

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

And as he mentioned, CHCBP is absurdly expensive. When I got out in 2012, it would've been over $800 a month for me and my son.

Yeah cobra is poo poo in pretty much every application because of price. I missed that in his post. My bad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Are you eligible for your state's CHIP program?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DownByTheWooter posted:

I got my TDRL review paperwork back today. They want to drop me from 70%, TDRL to 10% getthefuckout. Should I lawyer up?

They give me the option to accept, request a formal hearing, request reconsider with or without a hearing after. Obviously, Request Reconsider with Formal if not?

I am straight up freaking out they are coming for my retirement

What state are you in? Did you miss any appointments, or is this coming after an exam?

If you are in Florida, PM me and I will get you in touch with people that will likely be able to help you for free. Depending on the level of these types of appeals, there are statutory fees granted to the prevailing attorney and no real cost to you. If you're outside of Florida, look up any VA disability attorney and call them for a consultation. They will always talk to you for free and let you know what's going on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

When it comes to any VA appeals, always have a representative. Whether that's a VSO or a lawyer, you want someone on your side who deals with this poo poo daily. If you have a VSO now, they can tell you the appropriate level to get an attorney. We've got a list of dozens of attorneys in Florida all over the state that will help you out with these cases. There are also multiple colleges around that have veteran legal aid clinics that will cover you free of charge for basically any legal matter.

Do not ever try to fight the VA by yourself. There are experienced people ready to advocate for you. Depending on the part of the country it might be a little more difficult to find, but you are never alone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Even still, lawyer the gently caress up. There are people that do this every day. You want an advocate any time you're appealing anything. Anyone worth his salt will give you a free consult.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zeris posted:

Has anyone here had luck getting the VA to pay for a private therapist?

Well, it depends. If you're more than 40 miles away from any clinic, then it's simple as just asking your primary care doc to refer you to choice for it. If you're within 40 miles, your doctor could also schedule you for an appointment more than 30 days out to trigger choice eligibility as well. They aren't required to do that, though, and may not. Your doc might be cool and roll with it, though.

Beyond triggering choice in some way (40 miles to any clinic or more than 30 days) the only non-VA service you can get covered easily is emergency room coverage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Delizin posted:

I'm trying to get approved for Voc Rehab and I've already got a very solid plan on exactly what I want to do and how I'll achieve it. I hear it is a lot easier and faster to get a plan approved when you come in prepared. I've been reading through M28R, the Voc Rehab and Employment Service Manual, but I haven't found the section on what exactly they need for plan. Does anyone happen to have a plan, with details removed, that I can use as a template?

yeah it's not anything you have to do. Just apply. You'll sit down with your counselor and get the plan together. Your ducks in a row for that meeting will make things go more smoothly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You always get paid back to the date of your original claim. I've had appeals pending since 2013 and if they come out in my favor i get backpay to then.

Go check with your VSO if you're overly concerned.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Jesus Christ this is too good of a deal to stay true.

Apparently they're completely separate, which is contrary to what I had been told before.

I'm looking at ebenefits right now and I've got two different education benefits. GI Bill says: Used Entitlement: 3 months and 18 days Remaining Entitlement: 32 months and 12 days and VR&E says Benefits Used: 25 months, 0 days Benefits Remaining: 23 months, 0 days.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MonkeyWash posted:

That means the clinic was closed before there was a solid plan to treat vets,

Correct.

MonkeyWash posted:

they just went on the assumption that Choice works and would be funded.

This, though, is not necessarily. Choice was assumed to fill in the gap, I'm sure, but I don't think choice mattered in closing the clinic. Like in the absence of the choice program, the clinic probably would have closed regardless.

The reason is because the government doesn't actually want to help vets because it forces them to acknowledge the damage it did to them.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 20, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah i have 32 months and change of post 9-11 still.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Is there any goon-recommended firm for getting a lawyer to help with VA appeals to raise benefits or counter denied conditions? I've used DAV in the past but they're pretty basic, and given the money at stake I'd be happy to pay an aggressive lawyer if they can get my percentage raised. Any suggestions on how to go about finding someone specializing in VA cases?

What state are you in?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Going to be in VT; does it matter for these purposes? Definitely open to referrals, thanks!

Yes it matters because you're likely going to need to find a lawyer that can represent you in your area. I could get you in touch with people in Florida but I don't know poo poo up there.

Another thing, work with the VSO until you get to a point where they say you need a lawyer. Until you're actually going to court, a lawyer isn't necessary and is probably counterproductive. Once you're at the court phase, your VSO should have lawyers they can refer you to that will work for contingency or pro bono since they get awarded statutory fees.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Do you still get VA disability if you get a federal civilian job?

VA compensation is not disability. It is an entitlement. It is not taxable income and cannot be targeted by court orders or garnished in any way. Student loan people can't come after your VA compensation.

There is such thing as a VA pension that is more like federal SSD, but i'm pretty sure you're not asking about that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cenen posted:

Alright I’ve braced myself for the slew of posts calling me retarded but here it goes.

Is there any other perk to going through a ROTC program when I go to school at the end of my extended second enlistment other than having a guaranteed commission at the end? I’ve already saved a lot of money and have a couple decent investments and I’m coming out of the Air Force with my civilian certifications in respiratory therapy and of course the post 9/11 GI bill.

The way I see it is if I can just get some cushy back office job stamping forms for 10 years until I retired I’d be perfectly fine with that. I’m just looking to see if there are any pros/cons to going ROTC or just trying to go to OTC when I finish school.

I won’t have a lot of time when I come back from this deployment to go through TAPS. So I’m just trying to get as much info now as I can while sitting out here between Iraqis getting their limbs blown off.

Not bullshitting, but does the AF have any program like that Navy's STA-21? If so, you can go to school while on active duty.

If you go ROTC, you will still be randomly drug tested and such, and I'm not sure the scholarships are compatible with the GI bill, but I have no idea. The navy used to (probably still does but I'm not sure) have a group of NROTC kids that are non-scholarship and just called college programmers. They participated in most of the NROTC bullshit, but did not have as long of an obligation when they commissioned as the kids who took the scholarship. So that's always an option, too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A good way to figure out how it works would just be to call up ROTC at your prospective school and talk to them about it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

U.S. Barryl posted:

I was recently disability retired. I have a 70% rating from the VA, and the DOD. It's all combat related. I've waived my VA pay from my retired pay, and am getting a little extra in retirement each month to make up the difference. Am I eligible for CRSC? How exactly would that benefit me? I'm not sure I understand if I would be getting extra money or not, and of course I'm far away from any support center to speak to an RSO. The retirement paperwork had a number I can call that goes to a voicemail box that is perpetually full.

CRSC means you get 100% of your pension (as taxable income) plus your VA compensation.

Go talk to a VSO asap.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

U.S. Barryl posted:

That seems like great news, but you say taxable income and I was made to believe that I would not be taxed due to my disability percentage? Regardless, I'm happy about extra money, just trying to understand everything I can. I'll have to get an appointment at my state VA office.

Typically you're not allowed to dip into both pots. You can get a pension (which is taxable income) or VA compensation (which is not). The mechanism they use is lowering your pension whatever amount you're getting paid by the VA.

The combat exclusion means that you're allowed to get money from both. IIRC vasudus and a few others here have it as well.

Also, don't go to the state VA office unless it's a VSO. If you were in Florida I could point you in the right direction, but I can't say for other states. American Legion affiliated VSOs are usually a safe bet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

U.S. Barryl posted:

Anybody have experience with National Veterans Legal Services Program? I submitted an application to have them represent me for CRSC but it's not too soon to back out and go a more traditional route like VFW, or DAV.

They're going to probably refer you to a VSO because you're not at the stage yet where you need a lawyer. You can call up and possibly walk in to a local VSO today and get things started.

Where are you in the country?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

U.S. Barryl posted:

I'm in central Illinois. I thought the NVLSP helped you prepare your case, putting together a strong packet, so you hopefully won't have to appeal later. I guess it won't hurt to at least see what they say, but I've got a pretty decent amount of veteran's organizations nearby to talk to if necessary. So far in my MEB/PEB and VA claims, I've been successful in what seems like a record time from the horror stories I hear about. VA claim took 60 days or so and my MEB/PEB was done in less than 6 months. Hoping my lucky streak continues.

VA claim time is much much faster these days with new claims entirely through the electronic system.

VSOs are the ones that set up your claim and help with appeals. It's only after you've exhausted the standard administrative appellate options that you need a lawyer and take it to court. If you want to wait on the NVLSP, then go right ahead. I have no idea what their turnaround time may be, but I know via our veteran legal aid clinic we send all initial claims/administrative appeals to local VSOs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zeris posted:

I got a VA form in the mail certifying that I had health insurance for all 12 months of 2017. But my 5-year full coverage should have expired in June. I have some service-connected disabilities but only for specific things, but is that the reason why they'd say I was covered overall (eg a mistake).

If you have over 30% overall you're eligible for full VA coverage in perpetuity which satisfies the ACA's individual mandate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zeris posted:

...I have free VA "healthcare" for life? :stare:

Yeah, and if you got that letter you probably enrolled at some point. You can swing by your local VA clinic/hospital and get an ID if you haven't got one already. If you have better private insurance, I'd say use that primarily, but if you ever need to go to the ER or anything (and there isn't an MTF or VA ER nearby) the VA will foot the bill for that as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I got mine in Japan but I think it was after all those batches (early/mid 2008)

Edit: gently caress no i got in 2007.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 29, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Looks like i’m in fav109 and fav281 so in the clear

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Mine do not.

You're supposed to get a copy when you separate; if you didn't, I think you can get them from the US Archives.

I’ve got multiple copies of forms that list all my vaccines and batch numbers. One from the end of my enlistment/commissioning and one from when I separated.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’ve always been 100% open and honest with my VA docs about my smoking and have never had an issue with anything.

I figure it varies by region/doctor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What region are you in? All of my meds with refills go through a reorder system that doesn’t go through my doc at all.

Are you using myhealthevet to email your doctor? I prefer that over phone calls, personally. VA policy (at least in N.FL/So.GA) is response from a team nurse within 1 bus. day and two for a response from then doctor herself.

Doctors not reading/responding to emails is a big deal to them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Premium just means you turned in the extra identity paperwork to your local VA and they processed it or whatever.

If you have refills left on an Rx, you can refill them on myhealthevet as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

boop the snoot posted:

I just call and they get mailed to me.

That is an option, but you can also click on the website and not have to deal with typing poo poo into an automated system.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That depends on the clinic and doctor. One c&p my gf came, another she was made to wait in the lobby.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Where are you located? Reach out to your local veteran orgs (american legion, vfw, etc) for recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

keylez posted:

Small update.

Just finished up my C&P exam with the VA, which is potentially the most bizarre appointment I've ever been to. To be quite honest, I am not entirely sure that the elderly woman that I had an appointment with understood my issues at all. By the end of the appointment all I felt I was able to articulate in between tears was "My time in the military bothers me because of things and stuff." Any attempt at offering more detail at how something makes me feel was met with resistance. Needless to say, that place infuriated me.

Yet somehow, my claim is now at "prepare for decisioning" after they reviewed my C&P results (can I loving see this bullshit?).

First, I understand your frustration. It can seem like an opaque process. The C&P exams are mainly to see where you rate based on the VASRD. Here's a website that has all the information regarding mental health.

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/mentaldisorders.html

Your C&P exam isn't there to give a diagnosis or provide therapy/treatment. Most of them fall under the psychological rating system. There are specific criteria you have to meet to rate a particular disability %. For example, here's what it says about 50%:

quote:

50% rating: This rating will have the majority of the following circumstances and symptoms:

The Ability to Care for Yourself: This individual is occasionally hospitalized, but can mostly take care of the basic personal needs like bathing or going to the bathroom, although their personal hygiene may not be kept up regularly. They may also be able to function in areas like shopping, driving, cleaning, etc.

Medications: This individual requires psychiatric medication at all times.

Symptoms: Some or all of the following symptoms will be present.

– Trouble expressing or showing emotions (This doesn’t mean that they are just reserved. It basically means that they are completely blank the majority of the time), or shows the wrong or inappropriate emotion for the situation
– Always shows significant signs of anxiety
– Regularly gives unnecessary or unrelated details when communicating
– Two or more panic attacks a week
– Trouble understanding complex directions
– Trouble remembering things (forgetting to complete tasks, etc.)
– Trouble thinking logically and often has poor judgment
– A serious lack of, or a seriously increased, mood or motivation
– Occasional delusions or hallucinations
– Regular to nightly trouble sleeping (nightmares, insomnia, anxiety, etc.)
– Complaints of physical symptoms, like pain, that do not have a physical cause
– Suicidal thoughts, but no definite plan to hurt himself
The Ability to Work: This individual may try to work, but will not be able to hold a job for more than 3 or 4 months because of their inability to remember or follow all directions or other similar reasons based on the symptoms or circumstances described under this rating. (In other words, they wouldn’t lose their job simply because they have anger issues and would regularly get in fights. A person like that could also not hold a job more than 3 or 4 months, but they would still be considered able to work). This individual would only be hired for jobs like cleaning, picking up trash, or other simple-task jobs.

Social Relationships: Like his ability to work, this individual may try to build and engage in relationships, but these relationships would not last long in most situations. Divorce or other breaks in relationships and friendships could occur due to his inability to properly participate in a relationship.

Someone with a 50% rating will exhibit most or all of the listed items in whichever specific way their problem manifests. Your C&P exam seemed really odd and frustrating because they have to probe these areas.

In a few weeks you'll hear back from the VA with a decision. It's pretty quick following C&P exams these days and is mostly dependent on how fast the doctor gets your information in. The VA will send you a letter stating "we are rating you for X condition at X%. Here is why. Here is why you did not get rated higher: [list of things to warrant higher diagnosis]. If the VA was wrong, you can appeal this and they will either just increase your % based on your notice of disagreement alone, schedule another C&P exam, or ask you for more documentation.

Are you currently working with a VSO?