Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does anyone below the age of 30 even watch linear television anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

mike12345 posted:

what do kids care about?

Vine and Rae Sremmurd.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grendels Dad posted:

One WoW experience I'd like them to translate into the movies is that one character walks into one direction for ages. Maybe with a comment to the audience that they can go take a leak now, reaching Castle Stormblaze will take ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bB3jFOgFTE

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Toady posted:

Of course. Even Friends is popular again among teenagers thanks to Netflix.

Exactly. Netflix is a streaming service that allows you to watch whatever you want whenever you want. Which is to say the opposite of linear television.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

But it's based of Warhammer which is sort of steampunk with the rattling guns and helicopters and what not. Not much God killing though. It does have sinister lizard Aztecs who are canonically God's chosen people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm not so sure "Noble Savages" is that much deeper or three dimensional than "Stupid evil monsters".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Greys are basically the same as fairies/elves.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Who is your daddy?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like that the name of the big hero Moses Orc dude is literally "Slave".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm pretty sure almost every single time a Dwarf is mentioned by name in the poetic Edda, the poo poo that Tolkien was literally an expert in, it's because he was crafting some sort of magical weapon or artifact or hair for someone and if something is meant to be impressive it tends to be mentioned that the Dwarfs built it.

Lord of the Rings is basically Norse Mythology fan fiction.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Arcanum Gnomes are known for being cunning and good with money and for having big noses. There is also one mission that implies that a secret cabal of Gnomes might be involved in a conspiracy to breed half-ogres as a servant race.

The Orcs in Arcanum on the other hand are the Irish and if you play as a half-Orc everyone hates you.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wagner was not a big fan of Jewish people existing. So much so that it created a rift between him and Nietzsche who thought the Jews were really cool.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tender Bender posted:

Where did dwarves speaking like Scotsmen come from? In the Hobbit animated film they just sound like old dudes. By warcraft II they were Scottish and that seems to be a consistent trope now.

I'm pretty sure that's from Warhammer and that Warhammer also invented all Orcs being green. Tolkien Orcs were usually yellow or gray or brown and sometimes green.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Warhammer Orcs are the best ones because they are literally just vaguely peopel shaped fungus who are so violent because they probably spread their spores and breed through dismemberment and bloodshed.

Elder Scrolls Orcs are also neat because although they crib the "corrupted elves" thing from Tolkien and have a similar Noble Savage thing going on as the Warcraft Orcs do they were not corrupted by Satan torturing Elves but because they were members of a Proto-Elf cult worshiping a certain god and then their god was eaten by another stronger god and when that god took a poo poo afterwards all the cult members were immediately transformed into Orcs. They are poop Elves.

They were basically all evil until Morrowind though which I think came out at the same time as Warcraft III so it seems Bethesda and Blizzard were both in a similar mindset Orc vice at the same time completely by coincidence. Orcs were just enemies in Daggerfall but Gortwog, king of the Orcs, was still one of the most likeable nobles you interact with in the game since he has the really noble goal of just making the Empire accept the Orcs as being people and getting more independence for his Orc Israel while basically everyone else is a self serving jerk.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 29, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

:thejoke:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Toady posted:

Lovecraft protagonists can't walk 10 feet without stumbling into a ghetto full of ugly immigrants.

Funnily enough he got married to a Jewish Ukrainian immigrant and when he moved to New York to live with her he became involved with the Kalem Club and made friends with anarchist, anti-racist and feminist activist James Ferdinand Morton and Samuel Loveman, who was both Jewish and openly gay.

Lovecraft was however reportedly pretty freaked out by being constantly surrounded by immigrants and black people in Brooklyn.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Applewhite posted:

Imagine making a real-life bronze version of this and taking it back in time to medieval times or whatever. Do you think anybody would use it as a basis for their worldview or would even the people back then recognize it as bullshit?

From what I gather that sort of cosmo/theological chart seems to be more of an early modern thing but I think people would probably understand the general gist of it but I doubt anyone would be very convinced.

Some examples from history:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Brevity is the soul of wit.
Needless complexity is the soul of poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

EVE has player driven story in that events like war, betrayal and alliances are not controlled by the devs but by the players themselves. There isn't really a story per se and for most players the game is just flying around and looking at spreadsheets but at least CCP know to just sit back and allow the players to control things as much as possible.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best Orc leaders in gaming:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

lazorexplosion posted:

I'm trying to put my finger on why this looks so bad and fake, and I think it's the lighting? Like the lighting doesn't look remotely like it comes from any natural light source?

It's pretty weird looking. It's too fake looking to be convincing but not nearly stylized enough to be interesting or striking.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My dad was a security guard on Enemy Mine but only for the footage they ended up scrapping. I'm basically film industry royalty.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I can't agree really. Metzen was right to think "maybe having an entire race be irredeemable bloodthirsty monsters sends kind of a lovely message". It's one of the few correct thoughts he's had and the WC3 behavior of the orcs is rather inoffensive.

Warhammer solves this problem by having their Orcs be fungus that just happens to be vaguely people shaped and needs to always be fighting because they spread their spores by getting cut up and/or killed.

Not that Warhammer doesn't have just as much stupid stuff as Warcraft on the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Chris Metzen hasn't shown us a birth certificate, how do we know he isn't Chinese and lying about everything?

He's obviously a crypto-Buddhist. I mean his name even ends in "Zen".

• Locked thread