Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

computer parts posted:

International response seems pretty good so it just depends on the US audiences.

The director is just retweeting a poo poo load of positive tweets about the movie so it seems like wow nerds will like it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Egad, it's like the moment in LotR when the full fellowship comes together at elrond's meeting and not everyone's in focus. That was 15 years ago. The framing is decent though, better than wheden, though maybe a little too obvious.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 25, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I haven't seen it in awhile so I might not be remembering correctly but I thought Silent Hill was one of the better films based on video games

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Dead or Alive is almost on the level of the first Mortal Kombat movie.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Double post. How did that happen

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 25, 2016

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 25, 2016

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Vintersorg posted:

European reviews are somewhere in the middle and it's not total trash is what I'm reading.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/4kzpz1/german_critic_reviews_of_warcraft_overwhelmingly/

One of the reviews on metacritic that gave it a 10% score also gave Dragonball Evolution a 4/5 so yeah... What the f-?

A major Danish newspaper Politiken gave it a 5/6, and most Swedish newspapers are hovering between 3-4/5.

All in all it seems to be ok, I'm seeing it anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Marketing New Brain posted:

This doesn't sound right. The female Orc body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

loving lmao how is this the backstory you are going to give your most prominent female character for a PG13 film?

i can see why the euros are giving it good reviews. they have a fondness for cinema and rapists.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

effectual posted:

Egad, it's like the moment in LotR when the full fellowship comes together at elrond's meeting and not everyone's in focus. That was 15 years ago. The framing is decent though, better than wheden, though maybe a little too obvious.

Why does the guard extra have better focus than the human queen on the far right?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

It'll be interesting to see if Blizzard's mobilization of the fanbase can drive numbers in spite of lukewarm reviews, which appears to be the case internationally. If there's a proven market for this, it only needs to be "not bad" enough to earn another film of greenscreened cosplayers featuring Arthas. Metzen has said he views this as an opportunity to redeem his storytelling.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Toady posted:

Metzen has said he views this as an opportunity to redeem his storytelling.

Appropriate, given that he's stopped corrupting literally every character he's ever written and started redeeming every character he's ever written.

~warcraft~

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Toady posted:

It'll be interesting to see if Blizzard's mobilization of the fanbase can drive numbers in spite of lukewarm reviews, which appears to be the case internationally. If there's a proven market for this, it only needs to be "not bad" enough to earn another film of greenscreened cosplayers featuring Arthas. Metzen has said he views this as an opportunity to redeem his storytelling.

All current and former players would top out at what, like 20 million tickets worldwide? Thats pretty weak in movie terms.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Steve2911 posted:

This is the board that insists that MoS and BvS have value. The board that has swung a majority to vote in favour of the Star Wars prequels.

I'ma gonna enjoy my stupid Warcraft movie and you tasteless goons can't stop me.

What if that is what we wanted all along?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

"Well hello there lady. Here to meet the Lion of Azeroth? ;)"

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

It's like it has reverse cinema magic where even the real things look fake.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

effectual posted:

I have seen CG fan films that look significantly better than this. I have also seen "real" films that make heavy use of CG that look better than this and spent a tenth of the budget. Whoever approved this for 100 million is about to take a bath.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Whoever approved this for 100 million is about to take a bath.

More like $160m according to recent articles.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/summer-box-office-guide-suicide-895245/item/biggest-risks-summer-box-office-895244
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/05/24/universal-is-trying-for-big-franchise-box-office-without-big-budgets/#700a34bc58e4

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 26, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'll go see this movie and I'll probably love it because I'll have been drinking for five hours up to and then during the movie

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mr. Flunchy posted:

She's a sex slave in the film.

She also remarks that her bones are stronger because they've been repeatedly broken by orcs raping her. I'm not sure that's how healed bones work but w/e.

That sounds bad. This movie looks bad. It also kind of bothered me that on all the like months-advanced merchandise all the orcs were the usual super ugly dudes but she was inexplicably just a hot human woman painted green. At least in the original game she looked like an orc sort of and was some kind of assassin I think? I don't know, I barely remember Warcraft having a story.

ungulateman posted:

Appropriate, given that he's stopped corrupting literally every character he's ever written and started redeeming every character he's ever written.

~warcraft~

Aren't they bringing a dead guy back, a dead guy who went about as evil as you could get after he ate an evil wizard's skull, just so they can redeem him now?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Nuebot posted:

That sounds bad. This movie looks bad. It also kind of bothered me that on all the like months-advanced merchandise all the orcs were the usual super ugly dudes but she was inexplicably just a hot human woman painted green. At least in the original game she looked like an orc sort of and was some kind of assassin I think? I don't know, I barely remember Warcraft having a story.

:eyepop:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sir Kodiak posted:

Apparently these were much different games than I recall.

don't worry, like that other guy said, this kind of thing 'enhanced' the world of warcraft

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nuebot posted:

Aren't they bringing a dead guy back, a dead guy who went about as evil as you could get after he ate an evil wizard's skull, just so they can redeem him now?

They're bringing back Illidan who was a pretty cool but flawed character who they spontaneously made go CRRRRAZY in WoW's first expansion because poo poo we need raid bosses uh lets make literally everyone from The Frozen Throne into a villain because MADNESS and CORRUPTION. It was pretty much where the CCCCCORRUPTION meme really got legs, and for good reason. Pretty much all characterization for Illidan, Vash'j, and Kael'thas was thrown out the window in Burning Crusade and the Draenei were retconned beyond recognition.

Some would say that retconning the Burning Crusade is basically a net gain at this point :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Oblivious posted:

They're bringing back Illidan who was a pretty cool but flawed character who they spontaneously made go CRRRRAZY in the game's first expansion because poo poo we need raid bosses uh lets make literally everyone from The Frozen Throne into a villain because MADNESS and CORRUPTION. It was pretty much where the CCCCCORRUPTION meme really got legs, and for good reason.

Some would say that retconning the Burning Crusade is basically a net gain at this point :v:

It seems like the new expansion is basically just going to be a retcon of the burning crusade from what I've been told :shrug: and no one will miss the green fel flames and purple crystals everywhere. I'm still going to laugh my rear end off if the expansion ends with like twenty five dudes just shanking sargeras in the ankle until he falls over dead though.

Are they still playing the "Elder gods did all!" card with every raid?

lazorexplosion posted:

It's like it has reverse cinema magic where even the real things look fake.

More on topic though, this seems to be happening a lot more frequently. There are a lot of times in movies where I'll be like "this CGI looks like poo poo" and look it up and it turns out it was done entirely with practical effects or makeup or something and it just looked like lovely CGI.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've always assumed they do a ton of touch up which makes it look more fake.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is arthas or kiljaeden in this? If not then pass

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Paolomania posted:

All current and former players would top out at what, like 20 million tickets worldwide? Thats pretty weak in movie terms.

There have been 100 million accounts, but that number is likely inflated by trials.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

~Coxy posted:

There have been 100 million accounts, but that number is likely inflated by trials.

I'd bet at least 50% are trials + gold-sellers who were banned on their first account and had to buy new ones.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
We sell some of the merch for this movie at work and I've spent the past two weeks not correcting people who refer to it as the Warhammer Movie.

But hey if any goons want a good deal on Warcraft versions of those car-family-sticker things gently caress off because I know the first store to actually sell one of those loving things will be inundated with the hundreds more that other stores couldn't sell

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Nuebot posted:

no one will miss the green fel flames and purple crystals everywhere.

TBC had the best aesthetic, you take that back :colbert:

(Not that I'll be touching any new WoW material ever, of course)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

TBC had the best aesthetic, you take that back :colbert:

(Not that I'll be touching any new WoW material ever, of course)

Sorry but the correct answer is WotLK because there's yet to be any zone in WoW as good as Grizzly Hills (and Storm Peaks). :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vanderdeath posted:

Sorry but the correct answer is WotLK because there's yet to be any zone in WoW as good as Grizzly Hills (and Storm Peaks). :colbert:

Aesthetically :colbert:

Unless you're a really big fan of hills with trees on them, in which case you should come live in Durham because there's loads of the buggers

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Captain Oblivious posted:

They're bringing back Illidan who was a pretty cool but flawed character who they spontaneously made go CRRRRAZY in WoW's first expansion because poo poo we need raid bosses uh lets make literally everyone from The Frozen Throne into a villain because MADNESS and CORRUPTION. It was pretty much where the CCCCCORRUPTION meme really got legs, and for good reason. Pretty much all characterization for Illidan, Vash'j, and Kael'thas was thrown out the window in Burning Crusade and the Draenei were retconned beyond recognition.

Nah "corruption" was from the RTS games, and were a story thing made on mechanical grounds. The game design wanted every faction to fight every other faction and that made no sense story wise so you needed to gin up reasons protoss were fighting other protoss and elves were fighting other elves and orcs were fighting other orcs and humans were fighting elves and whatever. The easiest way to explain it enough to make it a one battle thing in the campaign was explain that the group you fight was just being controlled by the bad guy or whatever. That carried out of the RTS and went into everything else blizzard. (here is a thin excuse why one of the bosses in diablo II is an angel! he got corrupted! here is a thin excuse why you have to fight the player classes! they got corrupted! etc) It was all a gameplay first thing.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I'm trying to put my finger on why this looks so bad and fake, and I think it's the lighting? Like the lighting doesn't look remotely like it comes from any natural light source?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I swear to god every time I see this picture I have to remember that it's not an FMV game from the 90s. I'm sure it looks mostly okay when it's in motion and not as blurry (I hope) but a still like this just makes every flaw stand out.

lazorexplosion posted:

I'm trying to put my finger on why this looks so bad and fake, and I think it's the lighting? Like the lighting doesn't look remotely like it comes from any natural light source?

You're right about the lighting, and also the king looks like he's just floating above the stairs.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

lazorexplosion posted:

I think the brick pattern on those pillars was an old Windows95 background.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

BioTech posted:

I think the brick pattern on those pillars was an old Windows95 background.

Would watch a horror movie set in the Win95 screensaver labyrinth.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Maybe half of the 100 million went up Duncan's nose to get him to not retire in shame.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
I always thought the only way to do a good Warcraft movie would be to do it like Spinal Tap, except replace the rock band with mid-2000s wow players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Oz Fox posted:

I always thought the only way to do a good Warcraft movie would be to do it like Spinal Tap, except replace the rock band with mid-2000s wow players.

This would be awesome. For a non-parody version of this watch the documentary "Second Skin". It's funny, depressing, and uncomfortable, often all at the same time.

• Locked thread