Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hello,

The general definition of a sandwich is "filling contained within two pieces of bread." THe parameters of a sandwich under this paradigm can thus be modified depending on how you define filling, bread. Many anglophones only see bread as leavened, cut as a slice from a loaf. There are many kinds of bread in the world. I will use a more inclusive definition of bread, including unleavened flatbreads or non-slice bread i.e. tortillas, injera, etc.

This is important. It breaks the definition in many ways. For example, bagels are not leavened. But you can cut a bagel and make a bagel sandwich. This is acceptable. Many people say a burrito is not a sandwich. But if i were to make a long burrito with two tortillas, it is now a sandwich. This does not make sense.

It is better to define a sandwich as "some filling contained within a bread envelope" and drop the necessity of two distinct pieces of bread, since all bread is itself cut from a singular loaf and the creation of slices is just a temporary condition of space and time. This expands the conceptual universe of sandwiches to be less eurocentric and racist. However, there is an additional exclusion that must be added to prevent a strange scenario. Because if we leave the definition of sandwich as "filling in bread", then we run into problem. Bear with me.

Is a hamburger a sandwich? yes

Is a hot dog a sandwich? yes

Is a taco a sandwich? yes

Is a burrito a sandwich? yes

Is an open face sandwich a sandwich? no

Is a blueberry muffin a sandwich? yes

Open face sandwiches are a special case, as they predate the traditional sandwich and are common in scandinavia, being the preeminint sandwich type. But an open face sandwich is a sandwich only because of a cruel linguistic trick. If an open face sandwich is truly a sandwich, then we must also accept that french toast, pancakes, and the mighty pizza is also a sandwich. You may have caught the other error with your quick eye, that being when a muffin (bread matrix) contains some filling (berries, fruit) it then becomes a sandwich. Obviously this cannot be so, and we modify the definition of sandwich as:

"when a filling is contained wholly or partially within a cooked bread product"

Which would prevent pizza from being a sandwich, as well as a constellation of baked goods, as well as crepes, unless you fold the crepe and thusly transect the sandwich manifold. Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
ill sandwich your face between my buttcheeks nerd

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
If a muffin is a sandwich then so too are mozzarella sticks, onion rings, and any other breaded foodstuff.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Hello,

The general definition of a sandwich is "filling contained within two pieces of bread." THe parameters of a sandwich under this paradigm can thus be modified depending on how you define filling, bread. Many anglophones only see bread as leavened, cut as a slice from a loaf. There are many kinds of bread in the world. I will use a more inclusive definition of bread, including unleavened flatbreads or non-slice bread i.e. tortillas, injera, etc.

This is important. It breaks the definition in many ways. For example, bagels are not leavened. But you can cut a bagel and make a bagel sandwich. This is acceptable. Many people say a burrito is not a sandwich. But if i were to make a long burrito with two tortillas, it is now a sandwich. This does not make sense.

It is better to define a sandwich as "some filling contained within a bread envelope" and drop the necessity of two distinct pieces of bread, since all bread is itself cut from a singular loaf and the creation of slices is just a temporary condition of space and time. This expands the conceptual universe of sandwiches to be less eurocentric and racist. However, there is an additional exclusion that must be added to prevent a strange scenario. Because if we leave the definition of sandwich as "filling in bread", then we run into problem. Bear with me.

Is a hamburger a sandwich? yes

Is a hot dog a sandwich? yes

Is a taco a sandwich? yes

Is a burrito a sandwich? yes

Is an open face sandwich a sandwich? no

Is a blueberry muffin a sandwich? yes

Open face sandwiches are a special case, as they predate the traditional sandwich and are common in scandinavia, being the preeminint sandwich type. But an open face sandwich is a sandwich only because of a cruel linguistic trick. If an open face sandwich is truly a sandwich, then we must also accept that french toast, pancakes, and the mighty pizza is also a sandwich. You may have caught the other error with your quick eye, that being when a muffin (bread matrix) contains some filling (berries, fruit) it then becomes a sandwich. Obviously this cannot be so, and we modify the definition of sandwich as:

"when a filling is contained wholly or partially within a cooked bread product"

Which would prevent pizza from being a sandwich, as well as a constellation of baked goods, as well as crepes, unless you fold the crepe and thusly transect the sandwich manifold. Thank you

all proper crepes and galettes are folded

c'est un sandwich!

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 9, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

If a muffin is a sandwich then so too are mozzarella sticks, onion rings, and any other breaded foodstuff.

The final definition of a sandwich I have concluded is that a muffin is not a sandwich, because the muffin is cooked with the filling. The bread and filling must be prepared seperately, and then constructed together. This means that a calzone or stromboli is also, not a sandwich.

Condiv posted:

all proper crepes and galettes are folded

c'est un sandwich!

Yes. These are included int he new, more tolerant and wise, sandwich acceptance conditions. Perhaps we could tighten the definition by saying "...intended to be eaten with the hands, without use of implements" as a sanity check.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

The final definition of a sandwich I have concluded is that a muffin is not a sandwich, because the muffin is cooked with the filling. The bread and filling must be prepared seperately, and then constructed together. This means that a calzone or stromboli is also, not a sandwich.

If your reasoning was that haphazard in the first place why should we trust your definition now?

I am going to need to see your Subway Sandwich Artist credentials.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

If your reasoning was that haphazard in the first place why should we trust your definition now?

I'm simply showing my work, friend. Much like a sandwich, you must develop these ideas one layer at a time.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

An effort post about The Sandwich.

How high are you right now? Scale of one to ten.

Slices are not a temporary condition, you have permanently severed the connection to the motherloaf. I won't live in a world where a blueberry muffin is a sandwich.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Who was the guy who was getting executed and they asked if he had any last words and he was like "Hot dog ain't no drat sandwich, turn on the gas."

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

I'm simply showing my work, friend. Much like a sandwich, you must develop these ideas one layer at a time.

Would a folded open faced sandwich be a sandwich or does the bread need to be two pieces?

What if the bread isn't cut the whole way through and filling is just stuffed inside?

Sandwiches, much like terrorism, are impossible to fit under a single definition.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

Would a folded open faced sandwich be a sandwich or does the bread need to be two pieces?

What if the bread isn't cut the whole way through and filling is just stuffed inside?

Sandwiches, much like terrorism, are impossible to fit under a single definition.

An open faced sandwich is not a sandwich. It is referred to as a sandwich in english but this is due to a long historical/foodways connection which I Will Not explain at this time. They are a cousin to sandwich but not actually a sandwich.

If a cut is thrust into bread and a filling(s) placed in the wound, then it is a sandwich. THis is why a hot dog is a sandwich.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pathetic little tramp posted:

Who was the guy who was getting executed and they asked if he had any last words and he was like "Hot dog ain't no drat sandwich, turn on the gas."

I'm glad they killed him.

VVVV yes. good luck VVVV

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

if two open faced sandwitchs are stacked on each other, do they become a sandwich?

please help my sandwich thesis is due in 2 hours

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
All of these sandwich definitions are moot unless officially approved by John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, who is dead.

Wikipedia posted:

The first written usage of the English word appeared in Edward Gibbon's journal, in longhand, referring to "bits of cold meat" as a "Sandwich".[13] It was named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, an 18th-century English aristocrat. It is said that he ordered his valet to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread, and others began to order "the same as Sandwich!"[6][7] It is commonly said that Lord Sandwich was fond of this form of food because it allowed him to continue playing cards, particularly cribbage, while eating, without using a fork, and without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands.[6]

The two pieces of bread are key at the very least, and all this talk about dropping the requirement is basically heresy.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

An open faced sandwich is not a sandwich. It is referred to as a sandwich in english but this is due to a long historical/foodways connection which I Will Not explain at this time. They are a cousin to sandwich but not actually a sandwich.

If a cut is thrust into bread and a filling(s) placed in the wound, then it is a sandwich. THis is why a hot dog is a sandwich.

A folded open faced sandwich becomes a sandwich much as a hot dog is a sandwich.

Theoretically these structures are identical.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

All of these sandwich definitions are moot unless officially approved by John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, who is dead.

The two pieces of bread are key at the very least, and all this talk about dropping the requirement is basically heresy.

the first goon

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm not sure even the most forward thinking English aristocrat could anticipate the massive culinary strides we have taken as a civilization though. By this definition we could not even consider a gyro to be a sandwich.

We can't rely on literal interpretations, instead we must interpret and act on the spirit thereof.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You are talking about the word, not the Item. Only a round man would point at the moon and look at his finger.

I categorically reject all sandwich literalism.

Gravel Gravy posted:

A folded open faced sandwich becomes a sandwich much as a hot dog is a sandwich.

Theoretically these structures are identical.

Yes. If you change the form of the open faced sandwitch, it becomes, closed

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 9, 2015

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Secondly, a sandwich can absolutely have more than two pieces of bread, such as in a Club Sandwich. Though that is then cut into quarters for geniality. Does that further become twelve pieces of bread, or just the three that were seperated from the motherloaf?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

Secondly, a sandwich can absolutely have more than two pieces of bread, such as in a Club Sandwich. Though that is then cut into quarters for geniality. Does that further become twelve pieces of bread, or just the three that were seperated from the motherloaf?

A sandwich can have as many pieces of bread as is necessary. A sandwich must have at least one bread.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A sandwich can have as many pieces of bread as is necessary. A sandwich must have at least one bread.

So then an open faced sandwich is a sandwich.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

So then an open faced sandwich is a sandwich.

No. The bread must contain the filling, otherwise it is merely topping, and this introduces too many foul possibilities, such as pancakes and french toast being sandwiches.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

No. The bread must contain the filling, otherwise it is merely topping, and this introduces too many foul possibilities, such as pancakes and french toast being sandwiches.

Wouldn't the filling depress the bread and therefor contain the filling?

Also wouldn't convenience of not requiring silverware be a factor?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Gravel Gravy posted:

Also wouldn't convenience of not requiring silverware be a factor?

This is folly. Following that road leads back to pizza and calzones.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Talmonis posted:

This is folly. Following that road leads back to pizza and calzones.

If it can be reasonably prepared and eaten cold without heating, it is a sandwich.

Although this could be problematic when dealing with Lunchables.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

This is a good point, but No, the intention of the sandwich constructor was to not create a sandwich when you simply top bread. It is possible to break, tear, or cut, or fold or otherwise transform the bread to convert the topping itno filling, and the lack of action in failing to do so indicates that the creator has rejected the possibility. The mere works of nature on the bread does not then convert it into a sandwich, as i do not believe a sandwich can be created by the accidentall fall of food on the floor but rather would be a Mess.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I like grilled cheese!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

dealing with Lunchables.

A sandwich kit.

Rorus Raz posted:

I like grilled cheese!

Me too. :)

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Would Ethiopian food, which is eaten by tearing off injera, or flatbread, and picking up food and wraping it with the bread be considered a sandwich?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Take care, this stricture would exclude both the panini and the grilled cheese from the category of sandwhich

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

Would Ethiopian food, which is eaten by tearing off injera, or flatbread, and picking up food and wraping it with the bread be considered a sandwich?

Yes, ad-hoc sandwich construction. Korean BBQ is similar and almost a social sandwich party except for the use of vegetable leaves instead of bread.

Squalid posted:

Take care, this stricture would exclude both the panini and the grilled cheese from the category of sandwhich

No, paninis and grilled cheese are cooked to complete the construction of the sandwich but the bread is already cooked. A sandwich can be cooked but the bread must already be cooked at the time when the sandwich itself is assembled and heat applied. THis is why a crepe is a sandwich and a bagel is not.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Squalid posted:

Cheese is typically prepared well prior to it's introduction to bread though.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
How is a taco, which you have classified as a sandwich in your OP, any different from a folded open-face sandwich? This is affirmative action, isn't it?!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jack of Hearts posted:

How is a taco, which you have classified as a sandwich in your OP, any different from a folded open-face sandwich? This is affirmative action, isn't it?!

The open face sandwich is not traditionally folded. If you pick up an open face sandwich and fold it, for convenience, you have created a demi-closed face sandwich a.k.a. a taco.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The open face sandwich is not traditionally folded. If you pick up an open face sandwich and fold it, for convenience, you have created a demi-closed face sandwich a.k.a. a taco.

Fair enough. You weren't very clear when Gravel Gravy introduced the idea of the folded open-face sandwich above.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

How is a crepe a sandwich but not pancakes with filling between two pancakes? (I.e. the pancakes are cooked normally then filling placed between them)

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

S.T.C.A. posted:

How is a crepe a sandwich but not pancakes with filling between two pancakes? (I.e. the pancakes are cooked normally then filling placed between them)

You're right. That is a pancake sandwich. I think the additional consideration should be that if the assembly must be eaten with utensils then it cannot be a sandwich, as, technically, some casseroles could be sandwiches as well. Lasagna could also be a sandwich depending on the condition of the noodles.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I, for one, prefer to take a topological approach to defining objects such as sandwiches. Tacos and open-face sandwiches are homeomorphic, and therefore should be classified together.

It's like how one is not permitted to eat degenerate donuts (e.g. donut holes) on National Donut Day, but bagels are kosher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

No, paninis and grilled cheese are cooked to complete the construction of the sandwich but the bread is already cooked. A sandwich can be cooked but the bread must already be cooked at the time when the sandwich itself is assembled and heat applied. THis is why a crepe is a sandwich and a bagel is not.

Ah, but by this logic bread pudding, which uses stale bread (hence already cooked) would qualify, provided it is of a type dry enough to eat with your hands. Applying heat to set the eggs is merely "completing the construction"

• Locked thread