Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I put forward the theorem that the number of bread-enveloped edible products does not come close to the number of species on this planet. Furthermore, as there is no genetic component to the creation of such a dough-wrapped delicacy, there cannot be a later discovery of knowledge that supersedes the previous classification. Thus I find your dismissal of the attempt to form a generic classification system to be both facile and showing the simple-mindedness of a larder nazi.

As if the breadth of worldwide sandwichkind can be pinned down to a single definition?

Preposterous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

chaosbreather posted:

Totally wrong. Your use of the word proper first indicates how your argument is flawed before it starts. An open faced sandwich is not a sandwich. Furthermore your baffling and misleading explanation is flawed: if I ask for a sandwich and I am presented with one whose slices were cut from different loaves, then it is clearly still what I asked for. If it is missing the lid slice, however, it is clearly not the entire sandwich I ordered.

So just because I'm watching my carbs I can't, by your definition have a sandwich?

This isn't very sensitive to those of us who have stayed on Atkin's for 10+ years and are still alive.

Edit: Where do we stand on lettuce wraps?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
What if you take two open face sandwiches and stack them, both face up?

Or to put it another way, if you take a ham sandwich, and put more ham on top of it, does it stop being a sandwich?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sharkie posted:

Is a club sandwich, because it itself is a sandwich, while containing two other sandwiches (the middle bread pulling double duty as top and bottom, a versatile slice, that one) therefore three sandwiches? Does this make ordering a single club sandwich impossible, as one contains three, yet if you order three club sandwiches you get nine?

We need a mathematician to explain what kind of number system counts by cubes squares of three and a Catholic theologian to explain how three can be one :psyduck:

It is only one sandwich. It cannot be more than one sandwich, but it has the unique property that, if divided correctly, one sandwich can bifurcate into multiple sandwiches. This is because the bread slice is not a hard limiter of the boundaries of the sandwich, but an internal slice can be a filling itself. This means that it is possible to consruct a bread sandwich from three slices of bread, whereas two slices of bread, stacked, without filling, is not a sandwich, unless you fold one piece of bread around the other to create a bread sandwich.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

What's the difference between a hamburger and a meatloaf sandwich?

Very little. Only the filling - meatloaf is a slice from a cooked log, whereas patties are usually formed into an individual and then cooked. There is also some context around sauce, topping, consumption patterns, etc.

spoon0042 posted:

What if you take two open face sandwiches and stack them, both face up?

Or to put it another way, if you take a ham sandwich, and put more ham on top of it, does it stop being a sandwich?

That would be a sandwich. A sandwich can have toppings, though this violates the utility of the sandwich to eat tidily without utensils. It Can be done, though.

Likewise toast is not a sandwich, but two toasts stacked would be a toast sandwich. Or if you folded or broke a toast onto itself, it would be a sandwich.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Objective sandwichism does not exist. The sandwich is a construct with which we refer to items food in a family of likenesses for simplicity's sake, and by deconstructing the sandwich its categorical function falters. A sandwich occurs only in the mind, if you believe it to be a sandwich - thus one person's garbage is another person's sandwich. The same can be said to answer dichotomous questions of other cultural constructs, like Art versus Not Art. Welcome to post-structuralist hell.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I defer to Justice Potter Stewarts "I know it [a sandwich] when I see it" ruling in Jacebellis v Subway (an obscenity case over Subway having the audacity to call themselves a sandwich shop stocked by sandwich artists). Seeing is truth, and I know a sandwich when I see one and don't need any seventh day sandwich apostates to tell me otherwise.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

what about lobster rolls

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

PupsOfWar posted:

what about lobster rolls

Obviously sandwiches

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

PupsOfWar posted:

what about lobster rolls

Like hotdogs, a split bun, roll, or bread that has been filled with foodstuffs qualifies as a sandwich. Lobster rolls also qualify as delicious.

But then what about a biscuit with butter and jelly? Is it more like a pancake or more like a PBJ for that service?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Like hotdogs, a split bun, roll, or bread that has been filled with foodstuffs qualifies as a sandwich. Lobster rolls also qualify as delicious.

But then what about a biscuit with butter and jelly? Is it more like a pancake or more like a PBJ for that service?

If the biscuit is just topped then it is not a sandwich. If you put the butter and jelly inside of the biscuit somehow, then it serves as a breakfast sandwich.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Are Oreos a sandwich? Related: what is the minimal size at which a foodstuff can attain sandwichicity?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council have decided that hot dogs are not a sandwich.

http://www.hot-dog.org/press/national-hot-dog-and-sausage-council-announces-official-policy-%E2%80%98hot-dog-sandwich%E2%80%99-controversy

I have no personal beef in that battle but just wanted to share their ruling.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Of course, if they decided they were they'd automatically become subsidiary to The National Sandwich Council.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How deep does this go??

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That depends on how much crumb you can either condense or scoop out of your bread.

/e- OP, I've always wanted to include in the definition of sandwich that the bread ought to be leavened or capable of. Do you feel that's valid or too restricting?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
is this a good place to discuss isiah berlins concepts of positive and negative sandwiches? because i think he makes some good points and, furthermore,

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jack of Hearts posted:

Are Oreos a sandwich? Related: what is the minimal size at which a foodstuff can attain sandwichicity?

Oreos contain no bread, and can not be regarded as sandwiches. Although the Oreo sandwiches the cream between two cookies, it's a matter of considering the materials involved rather than making the mistake of only taking basic formation into account. Anyone stubbornly insisting that a cookie sufficiently meets the definition of bread is a charlatan and I won't even engage with that argument.

The formation of a sandwich has no limit beyond the hard reality of particle physics, but coming up with hard definitions at such a scale becomes difficult. Despite naysayers on the first page, I think the literalist sandwich definition of 2 slices of bread + meat at least serves as a foundation for greater sandwich extrapolation, so the smallest sandwich would therefore be whatever can be the smallest possible "meat" sandwiched between the smallest possible "bread." Bread by definition must contain, as a minimum, flour and water. Meat is more difficult, since you have a potential argument about whether or not the muscular structure of any given animal must be taken into account or whether a mixture of the basic compounds of meat will suffice. If the compounds will suffice, the smallest possible sandwich is then 2 compounds of 1 flour molecule + 1 water molecule, then 1 meat compound between them. Though more of an academic pursuit, such microsandwiches nonetheless fit the criteria.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
The level of ironic sarcasm in here is off the charts but I feel out of the loop in that I had no idea "hot dogs are a sandwich" was even a thing. Where did this poo poo come from?

It doesn't even fit the "between two slices of bread" definition. A hot dog is a hot dog. Show me anywhere that it says "Hot Dog Sandwich" that isn't a sliced open hot dog between sandwich bread. You can't because it doesn't exist.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
if a hot dog isnt a sandwich then neither is a Subway brand sandwich b/c they share identical vestigial connective bread-membranes on the ventral side of the roll

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I often find that as I am eating a hot dog the bun rips and turns into what I can only describe as a submarine sandwich loaf.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
The Toastie which can be toasted is not the eternal Toastie. The panini which can be pani-named are not the eternal Panini.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
look im sorry but youve been eating tubemeat sandwiches for all these years. its better to come to grips with it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
:manning:

• Locked thread