Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
If a muffin is a sandwich then so too are mozzarella sticks, onion rings, and any other breaded foodstuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Popular Thug Drink posted:

The final definition of a sandwich I have concluded is that a muffin is not a sandwich, because the muffin is cooked with the filling. The bread and filling must be prepared seperately, and then constructed together. This means that a calzone or stromboli is also, not a sandwich.

If your reasoning was that haphazard in the first place why should we trust your definition now?

I am going to need to see your Subway Sandwich Artist credentials.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

I'm simply showing my work, friend. Much like a sandwich, you must develop these ideas one layer at a time.

Would a folded open faced sandwich be a sandwich or does the bread need to be two pieces?

What if the bread isn't cut the whole way through and filling is just stuffed inside?

Sandwiches, much like terrorism, are impossible to fit under a single definition.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

An open faced sandwich is not a sandwich. It is referred to as a sandwich in english but this is due to a long historical/foodways connection which I Will Not explain at this time. They are a cousin to sandwich but not actually a sandwich.

If a cut is thrust into bread and a filling(s) placed in the wound, then it is a sandwich. THis is why a hot dog is a sandwich.

A folded open faced sandwich becomes a sandwich much as a hot dog is a sandwich.

Theoretically these structures are identical.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

All of these sandwich definitions are moot unless officially approved by John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, who is dead.

The two pieces of bread are key at the very least, and all this talk about dropping the requirement is basically heresy.

I'm not sure even the most forward thinking English aristocrat could anticipate the massive culinary strides we have taken as a civilization though. By this definition we could not even consider a gyro to be a sandwich.

We can't rely on literal interpretations, instead we must interpret and act on the spirit thereof.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A sandwich can have as many pieces of bread as is necessary. A sandwich must have at least one bread.

So then an open faced sandwich is a sandwich.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

No. The bread must contain the filling, otherwise it is merely topping, and this introduces too many foul possibilities, such as pancakes and french toast being sandwiches.

Wouldn't the filling depress the bread and therefor contain the filling?

Also wouldn't convenience of not requiring silverware be a factor?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Talmonis posted:

This is folly. Following that road leads back to pizza and calzones.

If it can be reasonably prepared and eaten cold without heating, it is a sandwich.

Although this could be problematic when dealing with Lunchables.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Would Ethiopian food, which is eaten by tearing off injera, or flatbread, and picking up food and wraping it with the bread be considered a sandwich?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Squalid posted:

Take care, this stricture would exclude both the panini and the grilled cheese from the category of sandwhich

Cheese is typically prepared well prior to it's introduction to bread though.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Badger of Basra posted:

Some more discussion material:

As a rule of thumb anything found in a grocer freezer is very loose with the definition of the product it identifies as.

For instance "wyngz"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sharkie posted:

For all your talk of constructing a less racist definition of sandwich, perhaps you should consider the inherent linguistic colonialism of enforcing your words and definitions upon food cultures that don't have them and don't need them.

It's a classic colonialist move: interpreting, defining, and ordering a culture along more familiar lines in order to master it, while marginalizing its traditional meanings and values. Calling a taco a sandwich is a grotesque deformation of meaning and is an act of semiotic violence against traditional, non-euro food cultures.

Wouldn't adopting the term sandwich blanket across cultures be in and of itself cultural appropriation?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

chaosbreather posted:

Totally wrong. Your use of the word proper first indicates how your argument is flawed before it starts. An open faced sandwich is not a sandwich. Furthermore your baffling and misleading explanation is flawed: if I ask for a sandwich and I am presented with one whose slices were cut from different loaves, then it is clearly still what I asked for. If it is missing the lid slice, however, it is clearly not the entire sandwich I ordered.

So just because I'm watching my carbs I can't, by your definition have a sandwich?

This isn't very sensitive to those of us who have stayed on Atkin's for 10+ years and are still alive.

Edit: Where do we stand on lettuce wraps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

PupsOfWar posted:

what about lobster rolls

Obviously sandwiches

• Locked thread