Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Hello,

The general definition of a sandwich is "filling contained within two pieces of bread." THe parameters of a sandwich under this paradigm can thus be modified depending on how you define filling, bread. Many anglophones only see bread as leavened, cut as a slice from a loaf. There are many kinds of bread in the world. I will use a more inclusive definition of bread, including unleavened flatbreads or non-slice bread i.e. tortillas, injera, etc.

This is important. It breaks the definition in many ways. For example, bagels are not leavened. But you can cut a bagel and make a bagel sandwich. This is acceptable. Many people say a burrito is not a sandwich. But if i were to make a long burrito with two tortillas, it is now a sandwich. This does not make sense.

It is better to define a sandwich as "some filling contained within a bread envelope" and drop the necessity of two distinct pieces of bread, since all bread is itself cut from a singular loaf and the creation of slices is just a temporary condition of space and time. This expands the conceptual universe of sandwiches to be less eurocentric and racist. However, there is an additional exclusion that must be added to prevent a strange scenario. Because if we leave the definition of sandwich as "filling in bread", then we run into problem. Bear with me.

Is a hamburger a sandwich? yes

Is a hot dog a sandwich? yes

Is a taco a sandwich? yes

Is a burrito a sandwich? yes

Is an open face sandwich a sandwich? no

Is a blueberry muffin a sandwich? yes

Open face sandwiches are a special case, as they predate the traditional sandwich and are common in scandinavia, being the preeminint sandwich type. But an open face sandwich is a sandwich only because of a cruel linguistic trick. If an open face sandwich is truly a sandwich, then we must also accept that french toast, pancakes, and the mighty pizza is also a sandwich. You may have caught the other error with your quick eye, that being when a muffin (bread matrix) contains some filling (berries, fruit) it then becomes a sandwich. Obviously this cannot be so, and we modify the definition of sandwich as:

"when a filling is contained wholly or partially within a cooked bread product"

Which would prevent pizza from being a sandwich, as well as a constellation of baked goods, as well as crepes, unless you fold the crepe and thusly transect the sandwich manifold. Thank you

all proper crepes and galettes are folded

c'est un sandwich!

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

if two open faced sandwitchs are stacked on each other, do they become a sandwich?

please help my sandwich thesis is due in 2 hours

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

All of these sandwich definitions are moot unless officially approved by John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, who is dead.

The two pieces of bread are key at the very least, and all this talk about dropping the requirement is basically heresy.

the first goon

• Locked thread