Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

The final definition of a sandwich I have concluded is that a muffin is not a sandwich, because the muffin is cooked with the filling. The bread and filling must be prepared seperately, and then constructed together. This means that a calzone or stromboli is also, not a sandwich.

Take care, this stricture would exclude both the panini and the grilled cheese from the category of sandwhich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

No, paninis and grilled cheese are cooked to complete the construction of the sandwich but the bread is already cooked. A sandwich can be cooked but the bread must already be cooked at the time when the sandwich itself is assembled and heat applied. THis is why a crepe is a sandwich and a bagel is not.

Ah, but by this logic bread pudding, which uses stale bread (hence already cooked) would qualify, provided it is of a type dry enough to eat with your hands. Applying heat to set the eggs is merely "completing the construction"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

This is a good point. For a topping to become a filling, it must be contained within. A bread pudding is mixed with the sweet or savory portions, meaning that neither is really the topping or filling of the other, but they are both mixed into some bread-based matrix. I withdraw my previous agreement that bread pudding can be sandwich.

This should allow us to replace the stricture that the sandwich not be cooked with the filling with a clearer ban on "mixes" or matrices. I think there is something key in the assembly process.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Is a gyro a sandwich? I've never conceived of them as such, googling it seems other people do but we don't need to be wedded to its status.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Would you agree though that a open faced sandwich is in fact a sandwich if you fold it with one hand and eat it similar to how you would eat a taco?

Popular Thug Drink already agreed with that earlier in the thread

• Locked thread