Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yo-kai Watch is what many would assume to be a new game in the west, but in reality is a series that started earlier this decade in Japan. The titular creatures, Yo-kai, are Japanese spooks and spirits, some based on traditional monsters and others just made up for good fun. They represent a variety of problems and sometimes solutions that strike the populace of our world. The game tasks Nate or Katie, depending on your gender choice, to use the Yo-kai Watch to solve problems in their lives in a sort of episodic format throughout the game, similar to chapters in other RPGs.

But these young kids on summer break are not without help. The Yo-kai butler, Whisper, is your permanent companion throughout the game. Though you aren't silent, he'll do a lot of the expositional talking, and also guide you to your next destination no matter the problem. This game is marketed towards kids, but anybody who enjoys monster collecting and charming city atmospheres can enjoy this game too.

It came out on November 6th, 2015 in America, and came out December 5th in Australia, while Europe will get it on April 29th, 2016.

Battling and Catching Yo-kai

When you're in battle, three of your six Yo-kai party members will be in the front, and you can choose anyone by sliding your wheel on the touch screen. Yo-kai fight independently of your actions, but there are a few things you can do in battle to help them. You can use items, which are mostly healing, although one kind of item enables you to run and others may provide temporary stat boosts. You can also initiate super moves the game calls Soultimates by selecting an active Yo-kai whose meter has charged to full, and doing a little mini-game to charge it. When Yo-kai are "inspirited" with a negative ailment, you can purify them by doing a similar minigame, but you can only do this if they're moved to an inactive slot. And finally, you can target specific enemies for the Yo-kai to fight by pinning them. When you win you get EXP, money, and sometimes items. Also, the more your Yo-kai do certain things, the stronger they get. There's separate levels for physical attacks, spiritual attacks, and Soultimate attacks, and these can all be beefed up using rare books outside of battle as well.

Enemy Yo-kai have a somewhat low chance of joining you after battle, and you can improve this chance by throwing your own food at them. Each kind has a food they prefer, indicated by them having hearts above their head when they eat it, and this improves your chances the best. Unfortunately, it's mostly guesswork to figure out which foods work with which Yo-kai. Certain Yo-kai also have a skill that makes recruitment more likely, but of course you have to get them first.
Some will join you automatically through the story or from doing Quests, too, so look out for those.

Requests and Favors

Yo-kai Watch has a large amount of sidequests divided into two categories. Favors are repeatable requests that are marked by orange flags on the map, though when they trigger to be repeated is unclear.
Requests are marked by blue flags, and they're one and done, though they usually have pretty good rewards. All Requests and some Favors give EXP to your entire party when they're cleared as well, in addition to items on occasion. The quests button in the main menu can help you keep track of the next step to completing any active Quests.

Evolution and Fusion

Yo-kai can change form in two different ways. A few can evolve simply by gaining levels. I believe they need to get 20 more levels than the level they started in order to trigger it. Once they evolve there's no going back, though there usually isn't a reason to stay unevolved.

The other method is Fusion, which can be enabled by a quest given by Mr. Zen at Shoten Temple in the second part of town, Blossom Heights. Not every Yo-kai can fuse, but those that can can either be joined with other Yo-kai, or with special items. (Two items can also be combined to fuse, sometimes.) Fusion Yo-kai tend to be very strong and useful, but finding what Yo-kai or items they need can be a trying task.

Getting Different Food

The easiest way to get more food is to buy it, though not every kind of vendor is available right away. Also, some of the best food is unable to be purchased until you progress far enough, and still others are available only in limited quantities. A list of shops is as follows:

Rice Balls: Everymarts in all parts of town
Soda and Tea: Vending Machines all over town
Fish: Uptown, bottom right, outside
Bread: Uptown, bottom left, Banter Bakery

Candy: Hills, top right, Gramma Edna's
Milk: Hills, middle right, Hot Springs

Burgers: Business District, center, Nom Burger

Chinese: Shopping District, in Flower Road side shop
Ramen: Shopping District, in Flower Road side shop (basic cups also in Everymarts)
Meat: Shopping District, in Flower Road on the street
Vegetables: Shopping District, in Flower Road on the street

Tribes and Personalities

There are eight tribes of Yo-kai in the game. Each one has a certain kind of specialty they focus on. For example, Charming Yo-kai are speedy, Tough Yo-kai are tanky, Slippery Yo-kai are evasive, Warm Yo-kai are healers, and so on. Putting Yo-kai of the same tribe next to each other on your wheel will net you a bonus when they're both on the battlefield, and a bigger bonus if it's a trio.

There are also six various personalities Yo-kai can have. These personalities boil down to frequently doing one of six things: attacking, defending, spirit attacking, inspiriting enemies, inspiriting the party, or healing. You can change a Yo-kai's personality with different books, and there are normal versions and strong versions of each of the six kinds. In addition to these, there is also the "A Serious Life" book which will make your Yo-kai less frequently laze around and do nothing. That's a separate aspect of the personality that can only be changed to be better, and won't mess with the other six kinds.

Terror Time

At some point in the story Terror Time will start happening. The game becomes a stealth mission where several Yo-kai are scattered around the map, and if they see you they will alert your presence to that of a large, powerful, super-boss Oni. The objective is to get to the door marked on your map before the Oni catches you. However, if you're sneaky you can find special treasure chests scattered around with powerful and rare items. If you're caught by the Oni and get beaten by it, you'll lose any treasure you've gathered, so better safe than sorry. Terror Time happens randomly at any point, but there's large grace periods in between them so you won't have to worry about doing it frequently.
Of course, late in the game you might be able to defeat the monster, and if you can do that you can safely collect all the special chests. Just be careful, if you defeat one, a harder one might come next time...

Bugs and Fish

Before you catch Yo-kai in the game, you're taught how to catch bugs. Searching certain areas where Yo-kai might be can result in finding bugs, which you can select and attempt to catch by using a wheel of fortune. Either you get it or you don't depending on where you land, and stopping the marker where you want is harder than it seems. Later in the game you'll get a fishing rod to do the same process for fish. Bugs and fish also use Black Syrup and Fish Bait, which you can buy cheaply, to add up to 5 extra safe spots to land to get it. These are traded to certain characters for good stuff if you amass enough.

Crank-a-kai

The machine you get Whisper from in the beginning of the game can be used three times a day to get goodies from. You can feed it colored coins that represent the eight types of Yo-kai and you may get strong ones as a result, though the result is random. Yo-kai you get from the machine always start at level 1. Coins can also get you food, EXP orbs, and sellable kokeshi dolls. If you have no in-game coins, you can use 10 Play Coins to get a more limited selection of goodies.
:siren: The results you get from this machine are not able to be influenced by saving and reloading. Your rewards are determined as soon as you make a new save file and never ever change. :siren:

There's an anime for this show, right?

Yes, it airs on Disney XD here in America. In Japan it's been running for much longer, obviously. Yo-kai Watch has also taken to allowing everyone to watch the series for free on Youtube. It's definitely a kid's show, so take from that what you will. You can see it here, though what episodes they have available are not consistent, to encourage people to keep checking back.

Who wants those Dancing Stars?

Once you have the ability to go around at night, head to the community center north of the park in Uptown. Do the quest for the "funky" guy there, and he'll take your Dancing Stars to give your Yo-kai new victory poses.

What's with these seals in the Medallium?

Catching all eight Yo-kai around one of the five "seals" at the end of your Yo-kai Medallium will unlock a Legendary Pokémon Yo-kai. They're very strong, of course, and can be a major boon. Unfortunately, these legends will start at level 1, so save your EXP orbs for them. The first you can get is Shogunyan, but you won't be able to get it until you've progressed far enough in the story to get Draggie.

How do I unlock (so and so)?

Generally, many features are locked off until you've progressed far enough in the story. Things like being able to move freely at nighttime, or a Bicycle for fast movement not limited by your stamina, or a fast travel system using a mirror portal Yo-kai, or access to all five parts of town, or the capability to upgrade your Yo-kai Watch to see higher ranks of Yo-kai are all gated by story progression. You'll have to mess with all these things at some point, so don't worry if you can't do something right away.

Any social features like Pokémon?

StreetPass exists in the game and you can enable it very soon into the game. If you pass with someone, their Yo-kai will appear in an apartment complex where you can talk with them, fight them, and potentially befriend them (if they're not legendary or rare). In terms of direct interaction, Yo-kai Watch is limited to local multiplayer in the form of battling your friends, accessed at the post office. There's no way to trade your Yo-kai with others, unfortunately. However, there is a system known as "wanted Yo-kai" in this game. Across your travels you may find Yo-kai standing around that will run away from you if they see you. Catch them three times and you'll get part of a password, which you can compare with your friends to complete and get an item from if you input it at the post office. That's about it.

There are some other features located in the communications area of the game, though. You can scan in QR codes for items at the bank, and these are being trickled out little by little by the official people behind the game. At the post office, you can connect to the internet to get a Crank-a-kai coin every Friday, and it's cumulative so if you miss a week you'll get it at any point. There is also a feature called the Yo-kai Cam, where you can take pictures of people's faces and see what Yo-kai are inspiriting them. If you snap a certain number of unique Yo-kai, you get rewards. If you meet a daily challenge, like say getting a certain color, rank, or tribe, you'll also get a reward. Every day the Yo-kai each face will summon will change as well. And yes, online photographs work.

Links

Official Nintendo promotional website.
Official Youtube channel. It has more than just anime! But mostly anime.
QR code and password Tumblr for Yo-kai Watch.
Fan wikia for the game and its Japanese sequels.
Playlist of a professional translator streaming the original Japanese version of the game with his wife. I'm in here sometimes, but watching this is also how I knew so much about this game going in.

That's about it. Just remember to do your daily exercises and you'll be fine!

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

(A post in case more is needed)

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
I guess we are making this the primary thread.

FAQ to be edited into post 1 or 2

Q: What are Dancing Stars for?
A: After completing a quest at night from the Community Center in Uptown, you can change your Yo-Kai victory poses by using the stars.

Q: What do books do?
A: Most books change Yo-Kai attitudes. There are two axes: attack type and dedication. Most books, such as Think Karate, change attack type- that is, they make Yo-Kai choose different offensive actions. This also changes what stats are boosted on level up. The book that changes attitude is called A Serious Life. This will make Yo-Kai less likely to do nothing when it gets to their turn. There are also three books that boost your ability levels: Hidden Hits, Top Techniques, and Soul Secrets. This raises the base power of the attacks your Yo-Kai use- they also go up through frequent battles, so these books aren't as useful as the others.

Q: How do I use these coins I keep picking up?
A: In the woods north of Uptown, past the shrine, there is a Yo-Kai dispenser that you can feed coins into three times per day. The color of the coin determines the type of Yo-Kai you get- the descriptor in the first sentence of the description tells you what category you will get.

Q: Why is it so tough to find good Yo-Kai?
A: You may not have your watch upgraded high enough to find the Yo-Kai you want. You upgrade it by visiting the watchmaker in the Hills section of the city. If you still aren't running into the Yo-Kai you want, you are probably either in the wrong place or there at the wrong time of day. Some Yo-Kai are day/night exclusive. You can change the time of day by going to your bedroom after you progress to the right point in the story. Most Yo-Kai will always be encountered at the same place or set of places, so it shouldn't be hard to find them again once you've found them once. For example, every E-rank encounter in the trees in the Mount Wildwood/Shrine area will be a Buhu, and every D-rank encounter in the trees in the same spots will be either Enefly or Enerfly depending on the time of day.

Q: I've fought this Yo-Kai dozens of times and it still won't join me! What am I doing wrong?
A: There are two things you can do to increase your odds. The first thing is add a Popular party member to your team. You gain access to them after you get access to the business district- check the trees along academy row for a D-rank encounter. The second thing is to feed the Yo-Kai food that they like. Most of their preferences make sense based on their design- Fancy/Frenchy enemies like bread, demons like Chinese food, and most water encounters like fish, except for the fish, which like meat. Butterflies and water blobs like liquids. If you try a few things and nothing seems to be working, it's probably ramen.

Q: Where do I buy food?
A: Most of the food stores are in a shopping complex in the bottom left section of the map. You unlock this area after you help your dad with business.
Fish: Uptown, bottom right
Bread: Uptown, bottom left, Banter Bakery
Chinese Food: Shopping District, in the mall
Ramen: Shopping District, in the mall
Meat: Shopping District, in the mall
Vegetables: Shopping District, in the mall
Candy: Hills, top right, Gramma Edna's
Milk: Hills, middle right, Hot Springs
Burgers: Business District, center
Soda: Vending Machines all over town

Q: How do I get better Yo-Kai?
A: There are several ways. Some Yo-Kai evolve once they hit a certain level into higher-ranked Yo-Kai. This is only true for 10-15 of them though, so mostly you'll just catch better ones as you advance through the game. Some Yo-Kai evolve through fusion, either with another Yo-Kai or with an item. You unlock the quest to unlock fusion after you finish the first chapter, and can immediately get some powerful Yo-Kai if you experiment a little. This is an important way to get a lot of the S-rank Yo-Kai later in the game, but the items and Yo-Kai you need to fuse to get them are very difficult to get.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Is anyone else having a hell of a time finding literally anything because of the loving useless map?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I just like to wander around and take in the eastern cultural atmosphere of Springdale, USA :coffeepal:

Endrion
Feb 28, 2006
We love Friend Computer!

BougieBitch posted:

Q: I've fought this Yo-Kai dozens of times and it still won't join me! What am I doing wrong?
A: There are two things you can do to increase your odds. The first thing is add a Popular party member to your team. You gain access to them after you get access to the business district- check the trees along academy row for a D-rank encounter. The second thing is to feed the Yo-Kai food that they like. Most of their preferences make sense based on their design- Fancy/Frenchy enemies like bread, demons like Chinese food, and most water encounters like fish, except for the fish, which like meat. Butterflies and water blobs like liquids. If you try a few things and nothing seems to be working, it's probably ramen.

To add on/comment on this, the two early yokai with Popularity are Cupistol at D-Rank (Somewhere downtown) and Shmoopie at C-rank, found in the woods around the shrine north of the first town area. Shmoopie on his own is also a pretty nice healer who synergizes with some other good yokai (Jibanyan and Walkappa), so he can act faster.
(Stealth-edited in case people want to try and work this out on their own.)

Endrion fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 9, 2015

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Jetfire posted:

Is anyone else having a hell of a time finding literally anything because of the loving useless map?

It's pretty bad at first, but you visit the same areas repeatedly if you do the sidequests so it gets pretty intuitive. Definitely wish that you could see the names of areas without having to actually go there.

Not sure if anyone else is far enough yet to answer this question but there's a rank A or B thing that I am having a really tough time with. In the abandoned tunnel area, after you fix the mine cart by the entrance, what the hell are you supposed to do to beat the boss? I maybe was a bit underleveled or underprepared, but I can tell there is some sort of strategy with targeting the flames and I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to be looking for.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Fixed.

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 9, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

BougieBitch posted:

Not sure if anyone else is far enough yet to answer this question but there's a rank A or B thing that I am having a really tough time with. In the abandoned tunnel area, after you fix the mine cart by the entrance, what the hell are you supposed to do to beat the boss? I maybe was a bit underleveled or underprepared, but I can tell there is some sort of strategy with targeting the flames and I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to be looking for.

If you've fought the Son of Sun in Chrono Trigger, it's like that. One of the five flames is "correct", and the other four will instigate counterattacks. I believe attacking those flames is the only way to keep him from preparing his Soultimate move. Unlike Son of Sun, brute force is a viable option if you have the healing for the Soultimate.

I put some of your info into the OP. A lot of what you said was already in there though.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 9, 2015

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

GlitchThief posted:

I just like to wander around and take in the eastern cultural atmosphere of Springdale, USA :coffeepal:

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.

Endrion
Feb 28, 2006
We love Friend Computer!

BougieBitch posted:

I deliberately left the names out in case people considered that to be a spoiler

My bad. Edited for fix.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

So my first impressions: this game is pretty neato. Mechanically its not as complex as something like Pokemon, but it's got enough of it's own style and things going on that it doesn't feel redundant as a monster catcher RPG. The town the game takes place in is nicely detailed and I'd compare it favorably to the town segments of the Megaman Battle Network games. NPCs tell you briefly about their marital troubles and there are like a million cats roaming around each with a different dialogue variation on saying "meow" at you. Also the game includes what I consider the most important feature any RPG with a modern setting should have- being able to dig through the garbage. Sometimes you will find useful raw chicken, sometimes you will find an old man sweet potato ghost.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Alxprit posted:

If you've fought the Son of Sun in Chrono Trigger, it's like that. One of the five flames is "correct", and the other four will instigate counterattacks. I believe attacking those flames is the only way to keep him from preparing his Soultimate move. Unlike Son of Sun, brute force is a viable option if you have the healing for the Soultimate.

I put some of your info into the OP. A lot of what you said was already in there though.

I ended up beating him by alternating between defensive dudes that were nearly immune to fire and my Appak with boosted Waterfall. Even after targeting the right wisps for several hundred damage it didn't stop him from using his ultimate, so I guess I was doing something wrong

Unrelatedly, where the hell is Draggie? I have just about every other E and D rank, but I still haven't found it and I'm getting pissed.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Draggie is gotten automatically by progressing. He is also my favorite Yo-kai.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Isn't this the series kids in Japan started following because too many weird adults were playing Pokemon

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Anatharon posted:

Isn't this the series kids in Japan started following because too many weird adults were playing Pokemon

Time to ruin their fun.

Well, that or it might just be because pokemon its self got too "serious" with its focus on multiplayer, breeding and EVs/IVs and all that poo poo. X and Y felt kind of empty if you didn't really plan to do any super serious multiplayer battling and sperging over your team composition. I can see why a new generation of kids would find this a lot more interesting over an increasingly more competitive-focused pokemon. Especially when you still literally can not catch all of the pokemon. Even if they dropped the motto, catching them all is fun.

Anyway, are there any resources for the weekly passwords? You can earn like three parts of it a day or something so they expect you to collaborate with other people. I haven't even found any of the criminals you have to catch for it.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Nuebot posted:

Anyway, are there any resources for the weekly passwords? You can earn like three parts of it a day or something so they expect you to collaborate with other people. I haven't even found any of the criminals you have to catch for it.

Not sure if it's the same for everyone, but assuming it is... This week goes until 11/15 and you'll be chasing after Nogo, a fake Noko. I saw him in the top right corner of the top right map, but I haven't seen him since

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

If anyone wants to know all the evolutions and fusions, here is a link to those, and here is a big world map.

Also, I was down on the beach and ran into a yokai named Nogo. You have to chase him like Noko but when you catch him all he does is tells you how he replaced all the erasers in the city with imposters. I don't understand what happened.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

bog pixie posted:

Also, I was down on the beach and ran into a yokai named Nogo. You have to chase him like Noko but when you catch him all he does is tells you how he replaced all the erasers in the city with imposters. I don't understand what happened.

That's the criminal Yo-Kai for the week. If you catch him twice more, you will get part of a password.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I really like the wall monster but I can't really get him to be useful. :(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

When the gently caress do I get Warunyan

edit: I mean Baddinyan, this motherfucking pimp right here

enojy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 10, 2015

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Flynn Taggart posted:

yeah i've been pretty much ignoring the blocking guys the whole game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Does save data from the demo carry over to the main game? I'm interested in this, but replaying the first chunk of the game or so is..eh...

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

enojy posted:

From what I've read you fuse Jibanyan with Roughraff. I want one too.

Blackfish fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 10, 2015

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Does save data from the demo carry over to the main game? I'm interested in this, but replaying the first chunk of the game or so is..eh...

The demo wasn't even the first chunk of the game. It was a unique scenario. Also it wouldn't be fair to female players since there's a gender option and custom naming.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

enojy posted:

Fuse Jibanyan with a Roughraff to get Baddinyan. Fun fact: His catchphrase in the Japanese version is "Nyamennayo", a.k.a. "don't gently caress with me" with an extra "nya" thrown in there, which is also the catch-phrase (minus the "nya" of course) of everyone's favorite white-suited delinquent Kunio-kun.

Edit: who gives a poo poo about spoilers

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dehry posted:

The demo wasn't even the first chunk of the game. It was a unique scenario. Also it wouldn't be fair to female players since there's a gender option and custom naming.

Oh, excellent!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Simon The Digger posted:

Fuse Jibanyan with a Roughraff to get Baddinyan. Fun fact: His catchphrase in the Japanese version is "Nyamennayo", a.k.a. "don't gently caress with me" with an extra "nya" thrown in there, which is also the catch-phrase (minus the "nya" of course) of everyone's favorite white-suited delinquent Kunio-kun.

The "nyamennayo" thing is a reference to a kitschy brand called Namennayo (aka Perlorian) which merchandised pictures of kittens dressed in little costumes (often as banchos) doing dumb human-type things.

Many of the yokai designs are specifically referential in that way, which is why I was curious to see how they'd localise it... as it turns out, they don't even try to contextualise a lot of things, which I kinda get.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Flynn Taggart posted:

If you want that sort of monster to be useful, you can use it in conjunction with Yo-Kai that increase the likelihood of targeting- most of the Yo-Kai that increase friendship rates have that as their inspirit, so you'll have one in the party anyway. Even if not, the defensive ones are nice when you face a boss that has a big, scary attack that you don't want your offensive dudes trying to take

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BougieBitch posted:

If you want that sort of monster to be useful, you can use it in conjunction with Yo-Kai that increase the likelihood of targeting- most of the Yo-Kai that increase friendship rates have that as their inspirit, so you'll have one in the party anyway. Even if not, the defensive ones are nice when you face a boss that has a big, scary attack that you don't want your offensive dudes trying to take

Does the enemy targeting work in real time like that? Like, can you swing your team around to the defenders at the last second and take the hit and then go back on the offense? I just sort of assumed there's a little bit of a delay. Because if that works, that's rad as hell.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BougieBitch posted:

They're selectively useful, yeah. I used one to make it easier to get Snartle. It hits hard and wrecked everyone but I could use my defensive guy's taunt special to give me a few more turns to poison him and beat him up a bit. I also got super lucky and drew a cute dog that surfs on a heart that has an attraction special that makes it easier to befriend yokai.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Simon The Digger posted:

"Want" has been upgraded to "need." I'm guessing fusion is unlocked as you progress far enough in the story? I just beat the big face boss with my watch at C-rank and don't think I'm all that far yet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do hope Yo-Kai watch 2 comes out over here. It's apparently better in every way. (Like the ability to get Boss Yo-Kai, 6 on 6 random Yokai battles, online battles, and Jibanyan S are a just a few new things I know about it.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 10, 2015

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

enojy posted:

"Want" has been upgraded to "need." I'm guessing fusion is unlocked as you progress far enough in the story? I just beat the big face boss with my watch at C-rank and don't think I'm all that far yet.

You're already past it. You just need to go to the farthest west point you can reach

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

enojy posted:

i'm pretty sure fusion is available after the first time you upgrade your watch. go to the temple on the western side of the district that has the watch shop.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I do hope Yo-Kai watch 2 comes out over here. It's apparently better in every way. (Like the ability to get Boss Yo-Kai, 6 on 6 random Yokai battles, online battles, and Jibanyan S are a just a few new things I know about it.)

Well they seem to be trying to push for this to replace pokemon over here too. It's got an anime airing and they're promoting it a decent amount. I hope it takes off.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It seems like there are so many variations on Jibanyan... I'm scared to fuse him for fear of missing out on a better fusion!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GlitchThief posted:

It seems like there are so many variations on Jibanyan... I'm scared to fuse him for fear of missing out on a better fusion!

I think there are like 20 of them.

The best of them came in 2 which is Jibanyan S. Which is just Jibanyan but with the power of an S Rank Yo-kai and an aura of power

In game

The other two Mascots Komasan and Komajiro have the same thing as well.

Also here are another two fun Jibanyan fusions.

Komasan + Jibanyan

Whisper + Jibanyan

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 10, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

How do you get all the Jibanyan fusions? Can you just re-fuse him at will or can you get more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
There are three low-rank Yo-Kai that I have not run into at all the entire game. I'm just starting the post-game content and it's really nagging me that I missed them.

Hungramps, Lodo, and Gush.

• Locked thread