Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

5er posted:

I just got a Damona off of one of the shitload of pink coins I got from the big password / QR code list that can be found on reddit. One holy exporb, and personality adjustment to Stiff and Logical later, and she's a marvel.

Congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Is there any equippable gear that helps with friending?

Monk E
May 19, 2009
I find it amazing that nobody working on this game considered the fact that the one fight per day yokai most likely taking about a month to friend without savescumming might not be particularly good game design.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Monk E posted:

I find it amazing that nobody working on this game considered the fact that the one fight per day yokai most likely taking about a month to friend without savescumming might not be particularly good game design.

Children don't have disposable income, so sometimes they have to play the same game a whole lot. That sort of catch-em-all endgame grinding is annoying for adults with limited time and the luxury to do other stuff, but there's a good reason behind trying to make a game for kids last longer.

Plus, none of the daily bosses are necessary at all to beat the game or even to beat the postgame, so it's not like the game is forcing anybody to grind them.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

lesbian baphomet posted:

Children don't have disposable income, so sometimes they have to play the same game a whole lot. That sort of catch-em-all endgame grinding is annoying for adults with limited time and the luxury to do other stuff, but there's a good reason behind trying to make a game for kids last longer.

Plus, none of the daily bosses are necessary at all to beat the game or even to beat the postgame, so it's not like the game is forcing anybody to grind them.

Kids are going to savescum / cut corners just like adults.

A thing I'm finding disappointing at this point (having just upgraded my watch to B) is that fusion is not very robust at all. Previous Level 5 games have really intricate crafting systems, and many players are also coming off SMT games that have amazing fusion systems.

Don't take the 'b-b-but kids! It has to stay simple for the kids,' line either. Kids these days are in love with Minecraft, and the robust and sometimes messy and unintuitive crafting system that game has. By comparison, Yo-Kai watch seems developmentally disabled.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

5er posted:

Kids are going to savescum / cut corners just like adults.

A thing I'm finding disappointing at this point (having just upgraded my watch to B) is that fusion is not very robust at all. Previous Level 5 games have really intricate crafting systems, and many players are also coming off SMT games that have amazing fusion systems.

Don't take the 'b-b-but kids! It has to stay simple for the kids,' line either. Kids these days are in love with Minecraft, and the robust and sometimes messy and unintuitive crafting system that game has. By comparison, Yo-Kai watch seems developmentally disabled.

Seems logical to me that they'd go for more simplicity in the series debut of a game based on a children's series.

Actually wait, which came first, the game or the show or the toys or what?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
the game came first.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What the hell, I've failed the intro Terror Time twice now. What am I missing?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ryoshi posted:

What the hell, I've failed the intro Terror Time twice now. What am I missing?

The big one is you can get befriend a miniature oni yo-kai if you beat the three different Terror Time bosses. This is pretty endgame-y though, IMO. The third oni is one of the toughest fights in the game -- I did it in the 80's and it wasn't a cakewalk by any means. Otherwise, you're just missing out on some slightly uncommon items in the scattered treasure chests that you probably don't need all that much.

A GODDAMN TYPO
Oct 22, 2008

I've only recently picked up this game and I've got my watch up to Rank A. I know I need to start thinking of my endgame team, and I've started hunting down stronger Yo-kai. The problem is that I have trouble keeping the lens on them long enough to start a fight, which I need to do a bunch in order to get decent XP/possible new members (this join rate is poo poo).

Any tips on how to follow them around/ideas for where I should look for good endgame Yo-kai?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

A GODDAMN TYPO posted:

I've only recently picked up this game and I've got my watch up to Rank A. I know I need to start thinking of my endgame team, and I've started hunting down stronger Yo-kai. The problem is that I have trouble keeping the lens on them long enough to start a fight, which I need to do a bunch in order to get decent XP/possible new members (this join rate is poo poo).

Any tips on how to follow them around/ideas for where I should look for good endgame Yo-kai?

there are some good yokai to pick up in the final dungeon, and you won't need to worry about the lens minigame.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Did I just have an ambulatory farting rear end join my party?

...the gently caress...?

EDIT: The rear end sucks. Unless these Rank B Yo-Kai are gonna be super fast and a non-damaging speed debuff is what I want.

Hey I'm about to go have a dramatic night time duel in a construction yard, any good 'mons I should try to have to prep? I'm doing the Rank B quest now.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 3, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jarogue posted:

I started to watch Yo Kai today and I think the show convinced me to get the game

Also I think I found my favorite Yo Kai

the show is actually pretty good for kids show, most humor is ok and it has some surpsingly dark moments humor wise.(the whole jibanyan stuff) it feels like japanese pokemon show with elements of gravity falls and rick and morty humor which is weird. since i am used to the lovely old Pokemon cartoon and the ok digimon cartoon.

I bought the game because i heard a lot of good things about from various people. and its pretty good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The game has a shitload of serious flaws (the abysmal capture rate, the fact that checking a place for items or yo-kai loads a different scene even if nothing is there, the infuriatingly random bug catching minigame) but it's honestly just so quirky and charming and well-polished that it's easy to look past its issues and enjoy it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I am glad that people are still enjoying Yo-kai Watch in 2016.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

The game has a shitload of serious flaws (the abysmal capture rate, the fact that checking a place for items or yo-kai loads a different scene even if nothing is there, the infuriatingly random bug catching minigame) but it's honestly just so quirky and charming and well-polished that it's easy to look past its issues and enjoy it.

the battle system takes a bit to get used too. but once you relize that you are more stat buffing/healing mage then a trainer, it works.

also. how the gently caress do i use the fishing rod. i have tried every spot along the river while going into the menu but it still doesnt let me.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the battle system takes a bit to get used too. but once you relize that you are more stat buffing/healing mage then a trainer, it works.

also. how the gently caress do i use the fishing rod. i have tried every spot along the river while going into the menu but it still doesnt let me.

Did you do whatever quest with it you have to do? The one with the plate head duck who wants fish?

You basically run up to spots with exclamation points like the bug trees and then move the cursor over fish and try to catch the like bugs.

e: spots on the rivers with exclamation points, to be clear, can't be fishing in trees

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Quidnose posted:

Did you do whatever quest with it you have to do? The one with the plate head duck who wants fish?

You basically run up to spots with exclamation points like the bug trees and then move the cursor over fish and try to catch the like bugs.

e: spots on the rivers with exclamation points, to be clear, can't be fishing in trees

sorry figured it out. thanks anyway :). I beat the giant clown daemon now i am just doing sidequests.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

For the Europeans out there, Yo-kai Watch finally has a solid release date! It'll be out on April 29.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Quidnose posted:

i am way past that stuff at this point. thanks anyway. I am just trying to find the A level yokai bosses now. still a good game. my girlfriend bought me a fluffy jibanyan for valentines day, but since i think its an import it hasn't arrived yet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Europe got the (apparently not great) Yokai Watch demo yesterday, for those who didn't know.

Also, Level-5 IA is bringing over one of the many YW mobile games, a puzzle game called Yokai Watch Wibble Wobble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7m92InzDts

Here's some footage from the JP version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aypmCpMrMC8

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Also, Level-5 IA is bringing over one of the many YW mobile games, a puzzle game called Yokai Watch Wibble Wobble:

That's a more complicated take on the Disney Tsum-tsum game from the same developer. Tsum-tsum has been, despite the silly name and the Disney theme, my primary go-to mobile game for more than a year now thanks to how addictive it is. The Yokai Watch game is interesting but the dozens of new mechanics they added to the formula made me lose interest after two weeks or so.

Unrelatedly, I'm about two years too late but I finally bought Yokai Watch 2 a couple of weeks ago and finished the main story yesterday. I have one of the initial versions and not the third one because, well, I found it used for about 5 dollars. I have two things to say - it's a much better game than YW1, but it's also even more blatantly Japanese with its new countryside areas and the hilariously accurate train system.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, I was going to mention Tsumtsum but I haven't actually played much of it so I didn't want to compare the two only for some mobile crackhead to chew me out for comparing two Totally Different games that look near-identical.

YW2's gimmick is that you get transported to the Showa era halfway in or something, right?

The Japanese Direct had some footage from Yokai Sangokushi (Koeis YW x Romance of the Three Kingdoms crossover for 3DS), out next month in Japan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNyWixkbXIE&t=998s

...and for good measure, here's the president of NOE doing the YW dance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aZDuSUuxWg

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

YW2's gimmick is that you get transported to the Showa era halfway in or something, right?

There's a time travel theme and you go back and forth, yeah. Most of the action is still in present day, though.

Here's my favorite moment in the game, though:

(I put him in my party for a while, but he's not a very good fighter so I got rid of him pretty quickly)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Thanks for all the information, guys. I really do hope the sequel to the first game comes out here sooner rather than later.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

any idea if 2 and the side games are getting a western release? I assume we will know at e3.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nothing new to report, but Hino has hinted that they're already working on YW2 so it may end up coming regardless of whether the first game sells or not, and one would have to imagine YW3 is a lock as well.

Yokai Watch has sold a few hundred thosand copies in NA so it's not really a flop, even if it doesn't blow up like it did in Japan (and even there, it was only a modest success until about six months after release where it suddenly exploded).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This game came out on iOS/Android in English today. Does anyone care?

Europe got the (apparently not great) Yokai Watch demo yesterday, for those who didn't know.

Here's some footage from the JP version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aypmCpMrMC8

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This game came out on iOS/Android in English today. Does anyone care?

I care! This honestly looks too crazy and complicated for me though. Checking it out now. It's free! (And probably chock full of IAP but what isn't these days)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Like many mobile games I assume experience will make it seem much easier to handle. I'm not especially interested in it, but hey, it signals that Yo-kai Watch isn't going to end here in the west with just the first game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh okay this poo poo is CUUUUUTE and the video just makes it look complicated.

A GODDAMN TYPO
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, it's really cute and it has a bunch of Yo-kai that aren't in the first game, which brings me hope that the other games will show up in English at some point.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm having a ton of fun with Wibble Wobble. It's sort of an analogue to the 3DS game, but you're obviously playing Puni Puni instead of the 3DS games' battle system.

Friends can send each other one play at a time, but that's really about it. If anyone wants to be friends, here's my info!

Name: ericiidx
Code: llpppsih

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yokai Watch 3! The gimmick for this game is there are dual protagonists, Keita/Nate in the USA ("St. Peanutsburg") and the new girl character Inaho with USApyon in Japan ("Sakura New Town"). As you can see, there's a new grid-based battle system that involves moving medals around on the touchscreen, and there's also a new "dream watch" and some other stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHtPM-RC7nU

Yes, the two versions for this all-American game are Sushi and Tempura:

They also added americanised versions of the mascot characters ("Tomnyan" and "KK Brothers") because of course they would:

...and here's some key art of your dirty American poltergeists:

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 15, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

...and here's some key art of your dirty American poltergeists:

ah yes, the american youkai that steals your ideas and patents them as his own

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Yes, the two versions for this all-American game are Sushi and Tempura:

To be fair, they do spell Sushi and Tempura in English deliberately.

Also, from what I can tell, the game will probably split its time equally between Japanese and American locations (there will probably be a Yokai that lets you travel between the countries). One of the new areas they announced is an Akihabara stand-in that's clearly in Japan.

2 pulled the same trick - it was heavily advertised for its time-travelling story but you spend more than half the game - even after you travel back in time - in the present (which let them recycle the complete map from the first game, of course).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The White Dragon posted:

ah yes, the american youkai that steals your ideas and patents them as his own

I was about to say, I can't wait to have my ghost army punch that Edison Wraith in the face repeatedly. Remember when he electrocuted an elephant in a bad-faith attempt to discredit alternating current proponents?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yokai Watch comes out in Europe today. You care, don't you?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Has anyone here tried Yokai Wibble Wobble for mobile? It's pretty cute!

Here's my friend code: bluute15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

It runs at a trash frame rate for me for some reason. iPhone 5S. I was keen to see some of the YW2 localised names but then I remembered I can just look them up on a wiki if I care enough.

• Locked thread