Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
YW2 Gold & Silver were just announced for US release... I wonder what they'll do about Crystal?

quote:

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Yo-kai phenomenon continues in 2016. The U.S. has seen the launches of the YO-KAI WATCH video game for Nintendo 3DS, a line of Hasbro toys and games, a top-rated animated series that airs on Disney XD and the mobile game sensation YO-KAI WATCH Wibble Wobble all in the last six months. The world of Yo-kai continues to grow as new video games, toys and shows make their way stateside this year.

All things Yo-kai continue on Sept. 30 when YO-KAI WATCH 2 launches in the U.S. exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Already a huge hit in Japan, the sequel to the first smash hit, which is once again developed by LEVEL-5, offers the same deep RPG gameplay and wacky adventures as the first game. The new adventure also offers many new areas to explore outside of Springdale, more than 100 new Yo-kai, a new-and-improved in-game Yo-kai Watch and even the ability to travel back in time! YO-KAI WATCH 2 will also launch with two versions, YO-KAI WATCH 2: Bony Spirits and YO-KAI WATCH 2: Fleshy Souls, each featuring rare Yo-kai that can only be found in their respective games.

“After being such a massive sensation in Japan, it’s great to see the U.S. start to embrace the mischievous and lovable Yo-kai,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. “We’re excited to continue bringing fun Yo-kai experiences stateside this year.”

To expand the Yo-kai brand, Hasbro will add new items to its YO-KAI WATCH line this fall. New toys include the YO-KAI WATCH MODEL ZERO, designed to look like the watch worn by Nate in Season 2 of the animated series. The watch includes YO-MOTION TECHNOLOGY that brings Yo-kai characters to life in a new way. Fans can insert a YO-MOTION YO-KAI MEDAL into the watch and see a projected animation of that character. Hasbro will also release a new series of collectible YO-MOTION YO-KAI MEDALS, which are compatible with the new watch, as well as custom YO-KAI WATCH accessories, large plush toys and electronic figures. Additionally, fans will be able to collect and trade their favorite YO-KAI WATCH characters in a new way with the YO-KAI WATCH Trading Card Game.

Disney XD has acquired a second season of the YO-KAI WATCH animated TV show, which will premiere this summer. This season, join Nate, Whisper and Jibanyan as they get the new Yo-kai Watch Model Zero. But just because he has a new watch, that doesn’t mean Nate’s life will get any easier. Season 2 has more Yo-kai, more miniseries, more episodes and, most importantly, more laughs! Tune in to see how a new cast of Yo-kai interrupts Nate’s normal life in unexpected and hilarious ways. Fans who missed the first season can catch up before the second season starts by picking up the DVD of YO-KAI WATCH – Season 1 in stores late 2016 or by streaming the show on Netflix now. Fans can also catch the YO-KAI WATCH manga series from VIZ Media (Volume 5 debuts this month).

Finally, all of your favorite Yo-kai have wobbled into a hit mobile app called YO-KAI WATCH Wibble Wobble. This Top Ten app on the iTunes store brings the fun of Yo-kai characters into smart devices with a puzzle-game twist. With new events coming monthly, this game will continue to grow bigger and better.

The original YO-KAI WATCH video game introduced people in the U.S. to the mysterious Yo-kai. In Japan, these invisible beings – not ghosts or spirits… just Yo-kai! – are steeped in folklore and based on common concerns that everyday citizens have. If a child misplaces homework or an adult can’t stop babbling at a work meeting, for instance, it’s probably the work of a troublesome Yo-kai.

For more information about YO-KAI WATCH, visit http://www.yo-kai-world.com/. For more information about the first YO-KAI WATCH video game, visit http://yo-kai.nintendo.com/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
YW2 now has a "spring 2017" release date in Europe. Once again, you'll have the option of importing the Australian version this year, which comes out on October 15, but the new game has DLC and I don't know whether the physical AU version will lock you to AU currency/IDs or any of that bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

YW2 Gold & Silver were just announced for US release... I wonder what they'll do about Crystal?

I assume its like pokemon and it has different yo-kai in different games? i picked fleshy spirits because it had a cooler cover.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I assume its like pokemon and it has different yo-kai in different games? i picked fleshy spirits because it had a cooler cover.

Yes, the difference is basically a subset of the yokai that are unique to each version. There are also some very minor story differences.

The third version of YW2 has every yokai from the other two. It also improved and sometimes significantly changed a ton of game mechanics (the first two versions got a large update that brought the feature set up to date, which is probably what the west is getting), but also had a new dungeon and some new quests (which weren't back ported to the earlier versions).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

orenronen posted:

Yes, the difference is basically a subset of the yokai that are unique to each version. There are also some very minor story differences.

The third version of YW2 has every yokai from the other two. It also improved and sometimes significantly changed a ton of game mechanics (the first two versions got a large update that brought the feature set up to date, which is probably what the west is getting), but also had a new dungeon and some new quests (which weren't back ported to the earlier versions).

as long as i get my komasan i am content

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as long as i get my komasan i am content

If they haven't changed things from the Japanese version you'll get your regular Komasan either way, but you have to choose between Jibanyan S and Komasan S (S-ranked power upped variants), which are version exclusives.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I haven't played or seen anything of Yo-kai Watch 2 beyond the little they've shown officially, so the more information we can get on it in the thread, the better! I probably won't be able to pick it up right away due to Dragon Quest VII coming out shortly before it, satisfying my RPG fix for a while I presume. All I really know is that it's better than the first game in every single way.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Alxprit posted:

I haven't played or seen anything of Yo-kai Watch 2 beyond the little they've shown officially, so the more information we can get on it in the thread, the better! I probably won't be able to pick it up right away due to Dragon Quest VII coming out shortly before it, satisfying my RPG fix for a while I presume. All I really know is that it's better than the first game in every single way.

I'm ways into YW3 right now so my memory of what exactly YW2 added mechanically are a little hazy, but if you have any questions I can try to answer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I didn't notice it until now but they localised Yokai Busters as "Yokai Blasters", figures.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The 3DS direct covered it a little bit. A demo seems to be planned for later in the month. They'll really start pushing it closer to release date.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

orenronen posted:

If they haven't changed things from the Japanese version you'll get your regular Komasan either way, but you have to choose between Jibanyan S and Komasan S (S-ranked power upped variants), which are version exclusives.

which is which?

I didn't notice it until now but they localised Yokai Busters as "Yokai Blasters", figures.

poo poo thats comming now?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Busters is its own game, yes, but it's based on a side-mode that's also present in the second game, which is what we're gonna be getting soon.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
According to the yokai watch wikia, Jibanyan S is Bony Spirits while Komasan S is in Fleshy Souls.

In general, the boxart gives you a pretty good idea of who's in what though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Sorry if this is a really newbish question but I'm thinking about grabbing YK1 but with 2 so soon I'm wondering if I should wait for that instead if its like Pokemon and there aren't any plot links?

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

YW2 is a sequel to YW1 in some ways but it's mostly a standalone sort of thing. The events at the start of 2 sort of repeat 1 because of ~plot~. Otherwise YW2 is basically a straight up improvement over 1. They fixed a lot of frustrating things about the first game that no one will miss and added a whole lot of new content.

I'd say you're safe to just wait until 2 comes out but if you did get 1 you should be able to clear the story before 2 comes out.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

RedRupee posted:

YW2 is a sequel to YW1 in some ways but it's mostly a standalone sort of thing. The events at the start of 2 sort of repeat 1 because of ~plot~. Otherwise YW2 is basically a straight up improvement over 1. They fixed a lot of frustrating things about the first game that no one will miss and added a whole lot of new content.

To make things clearer, it's only the beginning of the game that mirrors stuff from 1 - the game makes out story reasons for why the protagonist has no yokai and has to be tutorialized about all the mechanics again, but it gets done really quickly and the main game has a brand new story.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
Yo-kai watch is pretty great, I'm surprised there is so little activity in here. Hopefully with the release of the second game people catch on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A lot more multiplayer things happen with two as well. You can trade and battle online and stuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Athanos posted:

Yo-kai watch is pretty great, I'm surprised there is so little activity in here. Hopefully with the release of the second game people catch on.

It's actually doing pretty well in mainland Europe, apparently.

Speaking of, Europe's getting a 2DS bundle with the first game next month.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

poo poo thats comming now?

I meant the minigame inside YW2, I doubt we'll get the full spinoff.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Thanks guys! Ill wait til 2 is out..unless its out like 4 months later here in Europe....

Oh son of a bitch! It doesn't even have a date!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, Europe's still "spring".

Australia's getting it in October, so you can import a copy if you really want to.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Thanks guys! Ill wait til 2 is out..unless its out like 4 months later here in Europe....

The first one is well worth playing. I don't think you'll regret picking it up as well.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shoehead posted:

If you guys are being subjected to the European Time Capsule, you might as well grab 1. It is super charming. Wandering around the city feels a lot like strolling around an actual neighborhood, and new areas open up every chapter or so. A lot of the NPCs update their dialog each chapter, and some of the jokes are pretty good. There are lots of side quests that you can take, and a lot of little plot threads to discover.

The battle mechanics aren't exactly traditional. I was reminded of Final Fantasy XIII; take that how you will, but I enjoyed it. The Yokai kind of do their own thing, and it's your job to manage positioning and deal with status effects in what is essentially a damage race against the enemy. The bosses mix it up a bit by having different modes that they shift between.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA's getting the YW2 demo today, it contains some regular gameplay (including a secret boss) and some Yokai Blasters.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

NA's getting the YW2 demo today, it contains some regular gameplay (including a secret boss) and some Yokai Blasters.

Thanks for the heads up. Look like my nights spoken for.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Do you get anything good out of beating Dunwheel, or should I just come back with a post-game party and smash him if I find him frustrating?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
The demo was far too short. They would have better served to put out something a bit more meaty, or at least not have it finish so soon if you do what it tells you.

Athanos fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 17, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The game is officially out now! I haven't picked it up just yet, since my RPG itch is very well scratched already, but I hope it provides joy to the rest of you.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Alxprit posted:

The game is officially out now! I haven't picked it up just yet, since my RPG itch is very well scratched already, but I hope it provides joy to the rest of you.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna back-burner this for a couple months myself. I've been falling down a PC Gaming hole again lately, and they've got the new Pokemon coming out in November. Sometime in like January I'll probably have to flip a coin between Yokai Watch 2 and SMT4A.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
Cancelled my amazon order since it wasn't coming on time. Grabbing it in store instead!

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
Haven't been able to play yet since I've been at work all day, but I did read some reviews. Holy poo poo did this game get jobbed by some of the publications. IGN and usgamer pretty obviously didn't really play the game before they passed judgement. It's one thing to not like a game, but to review it without giving it a full play through is pretty embarrassing.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Athanos posted:

Haven't been able to play yet since I've been at work all day, but I did read some reviews. Holy poo poo did this game get jobbed by some of the publications. IGN and usgamer pretty obviously didn't really play the game before they passed judgement. It's one thing to not like a game, but to review it without giving it a full play through is pretty embarrassing.

What was wrong with the USgamer review? I thought it pretty clearly summed up why the game was a disappointment, I know that I'm way less excited knowing that stuff like quests and befriending yokai is still bad.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
Phone client double posted.

Athanos fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 1, 2016

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Fawf posted:

What was wrong with the USgamer review? I thought it pretty clearly summed up why the game was a disappointment, I know that I'm way less excited knowing that stuff like quests and befriending yokai is still bad.

Well from what I've read there had been an improvement in befriending yokai in that you can poke them (not sure how that works) and it will tell you what their food preferences are. Not saying that's the largest improvement over the first, but it's something. Also most of those quests are optional. The game doesn't force you to catch bugs, or fish. It's like making GBS threads on the batman games for making the riddler sections such a lovely slog.

Most of all when you look at review score now a 2.5/5 doesn't actually mean mediocre it means it's poo poo. I can take a lot of his critiques, but the score seems far too low. Granted I haven't played the game, but if it's close to the original I can't see how a similar game, with improved content and tweaks could get such a poor score.

Edit: also, he mentions nothing about any of the positives like increased size of the world.

Edit 2: Upon thinking about it it really doesn't feel like he played more than a few hours of the game. Maybe I'm being strange about this but you should at least finish the game before you review it.

Athanos fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 1, 2016

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
I can see a lot of people bouncing off this game as the battles themselves don't have a lot of weight. Then there's all the bug catching and fishing, other minigames, and general exploring. Level 5 games in general stick a bunch of mechanics into their stuff and hope it all works out. It really depends on how much you like collecting things.

Anyways, if you just use the targeting pin, when you hover over a guy, it'll say what kind of food he likes.

Poking is a Model Zero Watch function. When a yokai is inspirited in any way, even loafing around, you can target them with the pin and hit a different button. This pops open a poking minigame where you find the sensitive spot and poke it a bunch. Doing so gives bonus exp, items, money, and recruitment.

I think the real mitigating feature for recruitment difficulty is the soul system. Unlocked once you go to the other town, you turn spare yokai medals you have into equippable items. I believe one of them is just a flat recruitment booster, so if you made a bunch of those and upgraded them, you might have a lot easier time of things. I'm still pretty early so I don't know which yokai to use and I don't want to turn what few ones I got into junk.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Im really liking this game so far, especially with how it makes play coins worth something. I got a Kapunki from the crank-a-kai, and it's somethin else.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
okay this train-riding sequence is loving baffling, why is this in the game

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

The train riding is literally my favourite part of the sequels. It's really relaxing and immersive and after a while it becomes basically optional anyway.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Inflammatory posted:

okay this train-riding sequence is loving baffling, why is this in the game

Because it's trying to teach Japanese 10 year olds useful life skills. It's surprisingly accurate and Japan is one of those countries where people in big cities still let their young children go out and ride trains on their own.

You don't have to do it a lot, in any case. There's usually a fast-travel point you can unlock at each end of the long train rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

stupid question. i have yokai watch 1 save data on my 3ds. how do i unlock the "special" A rating yokai for having save data.

• Locked thread